Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It wasn't a bad game, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't anything to write home about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

deathrider wrote: »
    It wasn't a bad game, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't anything to write home about.

In a pretty terrible year Wolfensteins stood out as a really fun no nonsense shooter. In any other year it probably would have been forgotten about. Still really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have always said a console only needs one unique amazing title to make it worth owning, so far the PS4 has about three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wolfenstein's problem was it wanted to be too many things at once. It wanted to be a retro style shooter with open levels, modern polish and big expensive setpieces. It wanted to be an absurd alternate reality farce, but also an earnest character study with grand storytelling aspirations and an interest in highlighting Nazi atrocities.

To the developers credit, they tried, and it's interesting for the first few hours (especially the few chapters that directly follow the prologue). But even at its best it's clear the elements are contradicting each other in many respects. Ultimately it does nothing particularly well and plenty of things adequately, and that's about it. By the final third they've pretty much resigned themselves to waves upon waves of enemies in crazy sci-fi Nazi settings, but even then it's more repetitive than entertaining. Certainly in a year that gave us the most gratifyingly 'fun' FPS of recent years (Titanfall), New Order IMO didn't even deliver much memorable in the way of silly old-school thrills. Again, fine and competent, just nothing more. At least it isn't anywhere near as tasteless as it could have been given the amount of actively contradictory stuff thrown on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have always said a console only needs one unique amazing title to make it with owning, so far the PS4 has about three.

which three do you consider them to be? genuine question as I haven't decided which 8th gen console to get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As I've said, Resogun, Bloodborne and Drive Club, they are stunning and real evolutions of what you've seen before.
    Drive Club is essentially a sequel to Project Gotham and MSR, but avoids city based racing, is pretty essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

sweetie wrote: »
    I agree, twas grand but dunno why lads were creaming themselves over it.

I agree too. I used to love a good single player FPS but haven't bothered with the genre in a few years because I felt it has stagnated and I was just playing the same thing again and again.

With all the fuss over The New Order I decided to bite, and I never even finished it. The production values were high, sure, but ultimately it never strayed from the standard FPS mould of the last 20 years. I was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

How many of those are next gen though, and how many are on the PS3/360?
    Far Cry 4, Fifa, Destiny, Wolfenstein, CoD, Alien Iso, GTA5, Tomb Raider off the top of my head.
    If you already own a previous gen console you're only left with a couple if titles you have to own.
    And I don't see a single reason right now to own a XB1, not one.

If you havent played Sunset overdrive, you're doing yourself a disservice. Its a classic.
    Forza Horizon 2 is also excellent.

The disadvantage the XB1 has IMO, is that most of the games are available on PC as well, and look better there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I agree too. I used to love a good single player FPS but haven't bothered with the genre in a few years because I felt it has stagnated and I was just playing the same thing again and again.

With all the fuss over The New Order I decided to bite, and I never even finished it. The production values were high, sure, but ultimately it never strayed from the standard FPS mould of the last 20 years. I was disappointed.

I liked it, but had to really make myself complete it. I know the campaign had to be long to make up for the lack of multiplayer, but I think it outstayed its welcome a little.

If you havent played Sunset overdrive, you're doing yourself a disservice. Its a classic.
    Forza Horizon 2 is also excellent.

The disadvantage the XB1 has IMO, is that most of the games are available on PC as well, and look better there too.
    I'll own a XB1 this year, at some point, but right now its content is mostly multiplatform and pretty derivative.
    Which is precisely the same situation on the PS4.
    The difference is the PS4 has a better collection of exclusives.

But, I'm sorry, getting way off of the point of the OP.

Has everyone here played XIII?
    A very nice cell shaded fps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'll own a XB1 this year, at some point, but right now its content is mostly multiplatform and pretty derivative.
    Which is precisely the same situation on the PS4.
    The difference is the PS4 has a better collection of exclusives.

But, I'm sorry, getting way off of the point of the OP.

Yep, I had it on the PS2. Was a decent game. Don't think it sold overly well. iirc it was based on some French comic book series.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Mentioned it earlier in this thread, absolutely loved that game. Not sure if it was underrated though, think it got pretty good reviews at the time, but it probably isn't mentioned enough in a list of great fps

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Loved it aswell, on pc though iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya that game was awesome. I think it was pretty well received though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got good reviews but sold like crap. I remember GameStop giving it away free with new game purchases. Shame, the game had so much style and a sequel would have been great.

It was based on a French comic and it wound up as a series on TV.

It reflects a kind of bravery in a mainstream physical release that we are not seeing with this console generation.
    I suppose after the likes of Enslaved, Heavenly Sword, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom and other off beat titles fail when derivative annual releases like CoD and Fifa sell vast numbers, its easy to see why people don't take chances anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It was based on a French comic and it wound up as a series on TV.

It reflects a kind of bravery in a mainstream physical release that we are not seeing with this console generation.
    I suppose after the likes of Enslaved, Heavenly Sword, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom and other off beat titles fail when derivative annual releases like CoD and Fifa sell vast numbers, its easy to see why people don't take chances anymore.

The comics are actually Belgian. Really disappointed that only the first story arc ever got translated into English, which is what was adapted for the game and the tv special. The tv series wasn't that great though.

The comics are actually Belgian. Really disappointed that only the first story arc ever got translated into English, which is what was adapted for the game and the tv special. The tv series wasn't that great though.

K, Belgian, my bad.
    I haven't watched the tv show yet though.

I wouldn't call enslaved or heavenly sword off beat, they're quite derivative in my book. Both had awful combat systems and I really didn't get the fuss about enslaved. It was decent but nothing really special and the stupid ending ruined the story. Heavenly Sword was just bad. Ninja Theory seem to have gotten their **** together with DMC when it comes to combat so will be interested in their next game as long as the story isn't as dirt.

Ah, my taste in games crushed under your mighty boot once again Retr0, and from the other side of the planet too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,583 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Haven't played XIII in ages, might give it a shot at the weekend, have fond memories of it.

Think I got it for a euro or two in Cex a while back on PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Same, wasn't it David Duchovny who did the voice ?

another Comic game that was very good....was Comic Zone, think it got good reviews..but didn't sell well...because it was at the tail end of the Megadrive era. It was also very very hard if I remember correctly. In the attic somewhere now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Same, wasn't it David Duchovny who did the voice ?

Yes, and Adam West is in it too as General Carrington.

Enslaved is a super game, definitely underrated in my book. One of my favourite games of the last gen, great level design and some beautiful scenery, it was bought for me at the time and I wasn't expecting much from it so it was a pleasant surprise to find it so enjoyable.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It was also very very hard if I remember correctly. In the attic somewhere now

You had one life to beat the entire game! It was a bitch and I never did finish it.

I was never really a fan of XIII, but I remember that art style blowing my mind! I picked up a copy on PS2 recently, since it's the first cell shaded game I had ever played I thought it deserved a slot in the collection.

Auto Modellista was another gorgeous looking cel shaded game, a title based around an Initial D type racing series.
    Sadly it played like absolute crap.
    Looks like a fish
    Moves like a fish
    Steers like a cow.

Just thought of another one, Prey. As a duke/doom fan that game was right down my alley. The portal like mechanism worked great in the game and like most 3d realms games, it didn't take itself too seriously. Still waiting on that sequal though...

da gamer wrote: »
    Just thought of another one, Prey. As a duke/doom fan that game was right down my alley. The portal like mechanism worked great in the game and like most 3d realms games, it didn't take itself too seriously. Still waiting on that sequal though...

I didn't get around to this one. Big fan of Doom and Duke myself though. I've often scene it kicking around for about a fiver. Is it worth picking up?

• Advertisement

Nothing really stands out in Prey but the shooting mechanics are fun and it has some fun set pieces. Probably worth a shot for a fiver. There was a sequel in the works that sounded really interesting but Bethesda completely dicked over the developer.

Advertisement