Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The game was set after the movie. Tony Montana survives the movie ending and has to rebuild his drug empire in the game.

Ahh you're right too...they changed the ending right... you go through the mansion with infinite bullets and the rage meter slow motion thing for the first part of the game.
    On underrated classics have we mentioned Die Hard Trilogy ?...I thought it was brilliant :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should play it now. The lightgun section is great, the other two though are garbage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The on foot section was dreadful and the driving section was as bad.
    The shooting levels based on Die Hard 2, they were sublime, one of the best on the system.
    I never played the sequel, Die Hard Trilogy 2, I can only imagine its muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The on foot section was dreadful and the driving section was as bad.
    The shooting levels based on Die Hard 2, they were sublime, one of the best on the system.
    I never played the sequel, Die Hard Trilogy 2, I can only imagine its muck.

The lightgun section was, as you say, sublime, even without a gun. The on foot section was actually fun, and the driving, while being the poorest of the three, was okay at the time. Considering they were three full games, and three different genres, I thought it was a great bargain. Imagine getting something like that in this day and age? Something tells me the letters D, L and C would be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Loved the on-foot sections in Die Hard tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was great for what it was at the time, a decent PS1 game at a time when great PS1 games were thin on the ground. It doesn't really cut it anymore other than those great lightgun sections.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    at a time when great PS1 games were thin on the ground.

?????::

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Jaysus I loved all the games on the Die Hard Trilogy :o

Anyone remember Firo and Klawd? loved that gem of a game.

da gamer wrote: »
    ?????::

95 was the launch year for the PS1. Plenty of exciting games released then but who really cares now for the likes of Loaded or Twisted Metal. It was neck and neck witht the Saturn. It started it pull away in 1996 with some classic games like Resident Evil but it had a fair few hused up games that in retrospect just aren't very good, like crash bandicoot, alien trilogy and we'll Die Hard trilogy. The SNES was still regarded as by far the best console that year but the tables were starting to turn in favour of the PS1. 1997 came around and the PS1 finally hit its stride and was unstoppable from then on with classic after classic on the system.

The first two years there was a lot of excitement for the PS1 especially the potential it showed but not a lot of good games, although that's not to say there weren't some classics in there as well like Rapid Reload and Jumping Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Started playing Tomb Raider: Anniversary, and I feel it's aged pretty well.

Definitely prefer its gameplay to Tomb Raider 2013.

• Advertisement

95 was the launch year for the PS1. Plenty of exciting games released then but who really cares now for the likes of Loaded or Twisted Metal. It was neck and neck witht the Saturn. It started it pull away in 1996 with some classic games like Resident Evil but it had a fair few hused up games that in retrospect just aren't very good, like crash bandicoot, alien trilogy and we'll Die Hard trilogy. The SNES was still regarded as by far the best console that year but the tables were starting to turn in favour of the PS1. 1997 came around and the PS1 finally hit its stride and was unstoppable from then on with classic after classic on the system.

The first two years there was a lot of excitement for the PS1 especially the potential it showed but not a lot of good games, although that's not to say there weren't some classics in there as well like Rapid Reload and Jumping Flash.

Die hard was released in 1996 I think. Tomb raider, resident evil, crash bandicoot, wipeout, tekken 1 and 2, duke nukem 3d and doom off the top of my head were all released in 95 or 96, hardly a poor year for a new console

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

In '97, Final Fantasy VII arrived and no other console at the time could beat the PlayStation.

Die Hard Trilogy was actually the first game I got for my PlayStation. I only had the demo disc that came with it and my brother had to go into Tesco to buy it as I was only 13! It may have even been Quinnsworth at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had great fun with Die Hard Trilogy - but I was ten at the time so the bar was probably a lot lower for me than it would be now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually played the light gun section a while back, still a bit of craic to play. The funny thing is even though I've finished it countless times, not once did I ever use an actual light gun!

Die Hard Trilogy 2 was playable but no-where near as good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually played the light gun section a while back, still a bit of craic to play. The funny thing is even though I've finished it countless times, not once did I ever use an actual light gun!

Die Hard Trilogy 2 was playable but no-where near as good.

Was this back before you were turned to the dark side, to the PC?

I think the thing about die hard was having three separatea games on one disc. The idea was great while the execution might not have been to everyone's taste.

Far from a classic but another game I played back then that may have went under some people's radar was sentient. Strange game with plenty of bugs and poor graphics but there was something about that game that I enjoyed, maybe it was the level of interaction between characters, which was few and far between in games back then

da gamer wrote: »
    Die hard was released in 1996 I think. Tomb raider, resident evil, crash bandicoot, wipeout, tekken 1 and 2, duke nukem 3d and doom off the top of my head were all released in 95 or 96, hardly a poor year for a new console

Some of those games are poor PC conversions and a few like crash bandicoot just aren't all that great and only got any recognition because the PS1 was crying out for a mascot character. I played through Crash 1 recently, it's an okay game with a few dreadfully designed levels. As for Tekken, the second one was 1996 and while it was a good game it paled in comparison to the stunning Saturn version of Virtual Fighter 2 which ran at a crazy high resolution and was the better game. 1996 was an ok year for PS1 were it was only really getting established. There were a lot of games released then that don't really hold up and we were only really playing them because they were new and exciting and well there wasn't much else out at the moment. 97 though, that was one hell of a year to be a play station owner. FF7, Symphony of the Night, Parappa the Rapper etc. Bernie Stolar leaving Sony opened the floodgates for those types of weird games and he was personally keeping back Symphony of the Night apparently. He went to Sega and then ruined what little chance the Saturn had at becoming at least a niche machine trying to replicate his methods that proved so successful for the PS1.

Sentient, now that was a strange game, really nothing else like it before or since. The PS1 was great for those experimental games.

This year to me feels like the PS1's 96 as well but for PS4, loads of games that are ok but will be forgotten in a years time and the odd classic like Bloodbourne.

Rapid Racer, a novel speed boat racing game that ran in the PlayStation's Hi res mode afaik.
    It was also the first Pal title to benefit from a new SDK that allowed developers to identify more readily areas of code that could be improved upon, releasing resources.
    This may me "blast" processing by another name but the game looked and moved beautifully.

Overboard is another nice title, Psygnosis i think.

No, that actually sounds legitimate unlike blast processing :) very few games ran in hi res mode on PS1 but they looked gorgeous especially the Tobal games that also hit 60fps. The saturns hi res mode is even better although again too few games use it. Tekken might have had the fancy transparency effects but VF2 just looked and moved gorgeously on Saturn.

Virtua Fighter 2 was and is a great game, an apology of sorts for the disappointment of Virtua Fighter.
    Daytona looked crummy but boy did it play well, low res and variable frame rates included.

Speaking of which, an underrated game or at least a game very few got to play, Daytona on the Dreamcast, a stunning game, beautiful visuals and plays very nicely, though the regular controller sensitivities need to be adjusted to make it excellent. The use of the steering wheel makes it perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Virtua Fighter 2 was and is a great game, an apology of sorts for the disappointment of Virtua Fighter.
    Daytona looked crummy but boy did it play well, low res and variable frame rates included.

Speaking of which, an underrated game or at least a game very few got to play, Daytona on the Dreamcast, a stunning game, beautiful visuals and plays very nicely, though the regular controller sensitivities need to be adjusted to make it excellent. The use of the steering wheel makes it perfect.

Agreed about Daytona.

As for Virtua Fighter the first version was disappointing, but really enjoyed the superior Remix version which redid VF1 in the Saturn based STV engine to give it textured polygons like the model 2 games. Still nowhere as good as VF2 though.

Fighters Remix is another triumph, and I played an awful lot of VF3tb on the Dreamcast as well.
    I must pick up a VF controller for the Saturn at some point, they are pretty nice indeed.

Thought virtual fighter 3 on dream cast wasn't that great. It was kind of the black sheep of the family to begin with but it also looked no where near as good as the arcade game (understandable since it was running on much more powerful model 3 tech) while Soul Calibur looked better and actually visually improved on the arcade game in some areas and a 480p mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

I'm sure they've been mentioned already but -

Flimbos Quest - The ultimate in gaming
    Turbulence
    Midnight Resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Midnight Resistance is on nearly every classic games list Ive ever read, hardly underrated...

I'm going to have to say Shin Megami Tensei Lucifers Call or Nocturne in the states. People that really know their RPGs say it's far and away the best RPGS on the PS2 (I'd be more inclined to say that Persona 3 and 4 are as good if not better) but most people don't know about the game which is a shame. As a pure RPG there's really nothing better on the system, it's all about the gameplay and systems. It can get difficult but it's never unfair. All most people talk about when it comes to RPGs on the PS2 is FFX which while a good game really isn't that amazing and there's way better in the system, with Nocturne being well up there.

Thought virtual fighter 3 on dream cast wasn't that great. It was kind of the black sheep of the family to begin with but it also looked no where near as good as the arcade game (understandable since it was running on much more powerful model 3 tech) while Soul Calibur looked better and actually visually improved on the arcade game in some areas and a 480p mode.

I just played a lot of it, and this was because it was a launch game on my imported DC.

Might have been mentioned already, perhaps by me even, but Alice madness returns on the Xbox 360 was a super game and totally underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rickamania1

Abe's Odyssey was class. And V-Rally too. Was rather fond of Formula 1 99 I must say!

• Advertisement

Abe's Odyssey was class. And V-Rally too. Was rather fond of Formula 1 99 I must say!

Agreed on all 3. V-rally 2, while not as good as the first, was great in that you could design your own course with bad hills, jumps and loops in the road.
    I loved the first f1 game on ps1. It was one of the first games I bought on the console and it blew my mind with commentary from Murray Walker and tracks that were identical to the real life ones.

Advertisement