Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I tried to play MoH recently and it was terrible, the controls, the in game visuals were awful.
    The presentation, the menus, the music, fantastic, but the game has dated so badly.
    Alien Resurrection, to mention it again, was on the same system and was so much better.
    Just to mention though that the Doom and Final Doom games on the PS were superb ports.
    And the other games with the Doom engine, Hexen for example, were pretty good on the consoles it was ported to, I think I have the PS version, but it too made it's way to the Saturn and N64.

As I said above, I really don't think its fair to expect games to stand up to their counter parts twenty years later. It's why I rarely play games other than Zelda or Mario from years ago. Those are true classics which didn't rely on their graphics or realism in the first place.

The likes of a MOH or Tomb Raider were all about being cutting edge at the time. Of course they are going to have lost that gloss two decades later.

On the note of Tomb Raider. Have started playing the Definitive Edition on PS4 and, as others told me to expect, its excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

I'm a big fan of 2D platformers and had never heard of it until I saw it on sale in the PSN store this weekend. Gorgeous to look at and great fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

J. Marston wrote: »
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

I'm a big fan of 2D platformers and had never heard of it until I saw it on sale in the PSN store this weekend. Gorgeous to look at and great fun to play.

Pretty good for a series whose first game was a blatant sprite swap of Super Mario Brothers.
    giana3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Jesrsey devil on the ps1, now there was a good 3d platformer, loved that game, been meaning to go back to it to see how it plays today.

da gamer wrote: »
    Jesrsey devil on the ps1, now there was a good 3d platformer, loved that game, been meaning to go back to it to see how it plays today.

The original Spyro the Dragon was a great 3d platformer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lemlin wrote: »
    The original Spyro the Dragon was a great 3d platformer too.

LOVED that game. Excellent title, a fantastic PSX alternative to a number of otherwise unchallenged N64 titles at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lemlin wrote: »
    As I said above, I really don't think its fair to expect games to stand up to their counter parts twenty years later. It's why I rarely play games other than Zelda or Mario from years ago. Those are true classics which didn't rely on their graphics or realism in the first place.

The likes of a MOH or Tomb Raider were all about being cutting edge at the time. Of course they are going to have lost that gloss two decades later..

It's definitely fair to expect the, to stand up to the test of time,mature classics will. For example you mention Tomb Raider. The first game has its limitations but the excellent puzzle and level design mean it's still a great game to play, I only finished it a few weeks ago. The sequels however don't live up due to some poor level design and the design choice to focus a lot more on combat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Spyro was alright. I played it recently and the opening was so bloody slow and the camera has some real issues. The sequels are a big improvement. It was a good alternative to what the n64 offered but nothing was really coming close to the n64 for 3d platformers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So many great games are still great after 20 or 30 years
    From Tetris on the Gameboy to Lemmings on the PC.
    From Star Wars in the arcade to Chronotrigger on the SNES and, believe me, the list is endless.
    To suggest that games of old are just outdated now is simply wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've recently played through Castlevania IV, Super Metroid and Link to the past SNES games on Wii U and they hold up so well. Super Mario 64 however somehow feels dated to me (have never played it before)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played Mario 64 the other day and while there are visual elements that seem outdated it tended to be the use of poor textures on some of the larger characters.
    The levels are lovely though, Wet/Dry world is a triumph.
    I still think the game is well worth anyone's time, camera issues aside, though it does allow user control to an extent which helps.
    Banjo Kazooie did a similar game but with better textures and a focus on collecting innumerable items, and it just wasn't as good, emphasising the importance if level design over pretty pictures.

Luigis Mansion is a good example of brilliant everything really, a toyset, a diorama, humourous, witty, cleverly using the power of the then new GC to create fabrics and reflections, to such a degree that it still looks fresh today. It also created a new genre, horror game that isn't about you being frightened but about the lead character being terrified. And they didn't follow it up until the sequel on the 3DS. Doesn't matter that there are few 3D games on the PS2 or Xbox from the opening salvo of releases that look as good, in fact there probably aren't too many of note that have aged as well that appeared as launch titles on the PS3 and 360!
    And the point of all this rambling is that just because a game is older, on a format that isn't sold in GameStop anymore, does not devalue the games therein one iota, a good game then tends to still be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Shadows of the Empire on the N64 was great craic, a bit buggy but I loved it.

I must confess to having played an awful lot of that game, but the train level was a pain in the nethers.

Rogue Squadron was much much better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I must confess to having played an awful lot of that game, but the train level was a pain in the nethers.

Rogue Squadron was much much better though.

My most played game of all time Rogue squadron, its a shame it cant be emulated :(

I played it a good few years ago. It's definitely not under rated. In fact I'd go so far as to call it a terrible game. The third person shooting levels are bad enough with the terrible controls awful bosses and blinding fog but the mini game parts range from crap to unplayable with the hover bike sequence. Dreadful stuff altogether that only got alright reviews because it was an early n64 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

always though Mario 64 was a giant pain in the ass tbh, dont think Ive ever played more than 50% of it and I adored Galaxy and everything that came afterwards.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I played it a good few years ago. It's definitely not under rated. In fact I'd go so far as to call it a terrible game. The third person shooting levels are bad enough with the terrible controls awful bosses and blinding fog but the mini game parts range from crap to unplayable with the hover bike sequence. Dreadful stuff altogether that only got alright reviews because it was an early n64 game.
    It was one of the handful of launch games so we were glad of anything!
    By the same token, the story told in the game is pretty good, probably one of the first time an expanded universe tale got such press.
    The launch game that has aged the best is possibly Pilotwings 64, despite a shocking frame rate it was and still is a lot of fun and considerably better than its 3DS sequel, which is just not as clever in any regard.

So many great games are still great after 20 or 30 years
    From Tetris on the Gameboy to Lemmings on the PC.
    From Star Wars in the arcade to Chronotrigger on the SNES and, believe me, the list is endless.
    To suggest that games of old are just outdated now is simply wrong.

I suppose its personal preference but I'm currently playing through Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on the PS4. I have great memories of the original Tomb Raiders but if you were to ask me which I wanted to play now, there'd only be one winner.

I generally keep my retro gaming to handhelds. I sometimes do wish I still had some of my old consoles, my Dreamcast particularly. That said, while I often feel nostalgic, I still reckon if I had a choice of playing a retro game on it or my PS4 I know which I'd be playing.

Time is also a factor. With two kids, I have limited time.

Resogun and Bloodborne aside there is precious little to market the PS4 ahead of the SNES or even PS2.
    In my opinion at least.

Resogun and Bloodborne aside there is precious little to market the PS4 ahead of the SNES or even PS2.
    In my opinion at least.

I took a break from gaming from pretty much 2008 until this year. I just didn't have the time Therefore I've plenty to catch up on. So far on PS4 I have really enjoyed GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4, The Last of Us and now Tomb Raider. I still have Bloodborne to delve into as well.

I'm also keeping an eye on Metro Redux and Wolfenstein to come down in value.

I'd prefer Shadow of Mordor to anything I can remember playing on the PS2 to be honest. I never owned a SNES. I was a Mega Drive and Amiga 500 man!

The best Mega Drive game I can remember was Mean Machines purely because of how good it was in multiplayer. It mightn't be the best technically but my friends and I knocked hours of entertainment out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Jesus is there any game you do like?

In my opinion at least.

I've been the first one to say that this current gen has been slow in taking off but I think we are being harsh at times on it. Far cry 4, fifa 15, Destiny, the evil within, bloodbourne, wolfenstein, infamous second son, call of duty aw, shadow of mordor, alien isolation along with remakes of the last of us, gta 5 and tomb raider make for a good list of games considering the gen is in its infancy. My main problem with this generation is the apparent laziness of companies with their 'hd remakes'.

I've been the first one to say that this current gen has been slow in taking off but I think we are being harsh at times on it. Far cry 4, fifa 15, Destiny, the evil within, bloodbourne, wolfenstein, infamous second son, call of duty aw, shadow of mordor, alien isolation along with remakes of the last of us, gta 5 and tomb raider make for a good list of games considering the gen is in its infancy. My main problem with this generation is the apparent laziness of companies with their 'hd remakes'.

How many of those are next gen though, and how many are on the PS3/360?
    Far Cry 4, Fifa, Destiny, Wolfenstein, CoD, Alien Iso, GTA5, Tomb Raider off the top of my head.
    If you already own a previous gen console you're only left with a couple if titles you have to own.
    And I don't see a single reason right now to own a XB1, not one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For Halo fans, the Master Chief Collection is incredible value. Other than that, I agree, pretty disappointed with the very limited line up.

For Halo fans, the Master Chief Collection is incredible value. Other than that, I agree, pretty disappointed with the very limited line up.

I'll only need one good reason to buy one, but I'm just not seeing it, maybe Halo 5 will be it.

I dont see how Ill be able to resist a new Halo but I really dont see any other reason to buy an Xbone :(

I suppose I could buy it, play it and immediately stick it on Adverts, but that will be like paying €150-200 to play a single game.

How many of those are next gen though, and how many are on the PS3/360?
    Far Cry 4, Fifa, Destiny, Wolfenstein, CoD, Alien Iso, GTA5, Tomb Raider off the top of my head.
    If you already own a previous gen console you're only left with a couple if titles you have to own.

Fair point. Lack of new and exclusive titles is disappointing alright. My ps4 is getting a lot of play time all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I agree, however I think that a game could get good reviews and still be seen as underrated in the sense that it didn't sell as well as it should have or wasn't played by as many people as it should have been.

Take Wolfenstein New Order or Alien Isolation as recent examples, they both got good reviews, sold reasonably well, but I reckon they are still underrated games

I've just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I'm failing to see why there was such a fuss about it. It seems fairly samey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

deathrider wrote:
    I've just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I'm failing to see why there was such a fuss about it. It seems fairly samey to me.

I agree, twas grand but dunno why lads were creaming themselves over it.

• Advertisement

I liked it, the guns were nice and meaty, same for bullet impacts on enemies, not like the BB guns in Call of Duty. Best FPS in a long time.

Advertisement