Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

deathrider wrote: »
    I didn't get around to this one. Big fan of Doom and Duke myself though. I've often scene it kicking around for about a fiver. Is it worth picking up?

In my opinion it's definitely worth picking up. Like you say, it can be picked up for peanuts now. Haven't played it myself in 6 or 7 years but I'd imagine it's held up fairly well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

da gamer wrote: »
    Just thought of another one, Prey. As a duke/doom fan that game was right down my alley. The portal like mechanism worked great in the game and like most 3d realms games, it didn't take itself too seriously. Still waiting on that sequal though...

No sequel, got canned.
    But loved the game, the portals before portals!
    I popped it on for an hour recently and it still is fun, in the same way that Doom 3 was fun, be under no illusions but the game has dated in a lot of respects.
    But it at least attempted to be different and made it work, rather than utter drivel like Haze.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

Cormac... wrote:
    Pikmin 2 Bioshock 2 (with DLC) Timesplitters 3 (i felt 2 was more popular) Super Tennis (SNES) Mario Party 2 Perfect Dark

Underrated? I think not my friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The likes of Bushido Blade or Exhumed would definitely not be underrated or under appreciated. They might not be popular now but They are well loved by retrogame fans and were very popular on release.

Exhumed is underrated in the eyes of the general gaming public. Suggesting otherwise is bordering on absurd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Exhumed is underrated in the eyes of the general gaming public. Suggesting otherwise is bordering on absurd.

The general gaming public can be excused for having the memory of a goldfish when it comes to videogames.
    Anything older than a PS3 belongs in a museum it seems.
    But Exhumed was a big release at the time and well received as well, massive too because it did the FPS so well yet appeared on a console that shouldn't have been able to do it, if you believed the PS hype at the time.
    Quake was a bigger deal in my mind, as it brought a pretty huge PC release to the console, but it still wasn't underrated, being well reviewed and loved by Saturn owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Cool, lads, I'll give Prey a spin then.
    Oh, Exhumed. Man, I loved Exhumed! It's stll good fun today.

deathrider wrote: »
    Cool, lads, I'll give Prey a spin then.
    Oh, Exhumed. Man, I loved Exhumed! It's stll good fun today.

If I can source it would love to play Prey again. Think I got to around the midway point years ago but never got around to completing it.
    This paved the way for Portal IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If I can source it would love to play Prey again. Think I got to around the midway point years ago but never got around to completing it.
    This paved the way for Portal IMO

it's in almost every gamestop iv'e ever been in, for less than a fiver as well.

Yeah, just look in their bargain shelf, apparently Gamestop do actually stock the occasional bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No sequel, got canned.

Ah man, I didn't know that. That's disappointing.

• Advertisement

da gamer wrote: »
    Ah man, I didn't know that. That's disappointing.

The developer got a little big for his boots at one stage, told Miyamoto that they had inspired the spherical levels in Mario Galaxy with the sphere level in Prey.
    Didn't go down well, though Miyamoto-san didn't appear to know the game or the developer.

Advertisement