Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bikes being cycled on the footpath?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

No examples of bicycles being cycled on footpaths necessarily has anything to do with DB unless DB has specially programmed it's bikes to force users to cycle on the footpath. So I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Well, my original post was an observation that I thought it was funny that the 10,000,000th Dublin Bikes journey was marked by filming three people cycling three abreast on a footpath, considering how much footpath cycling you see done on Dublin bikes around town. Clearly though, breaking the rules of the road by cyclists is not done only by those on Dublin Bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Well, my original post was an observation that I thought it was funny that the 10,000,000th Dublin Bikes journey was marked by filming three people cycling three abreast on a footpath, considering how much footpath cycling you see done on Dublin bikes around town. Clearly though, breaking the rules of the road by cyclists is not done only by those on Dublin Bikes.

True, but if the discussion is to be limited to DB activities, it willbe a very short discussion indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I regularly (ie almost on a daily basis) nearly get mowed down by cyclists on the pedestrian only footpath on the promenade on the Clontarf Road - the part between Alfie Byrne Road and the wooden bridge, when there is an excellent cycle path only metres away.

There are more infractions by dog walkers and runners on that cycle path than anything else.

Dublin Bike users are not really a problem because they tend to go relatively slowly ( DB bikes are heavy ). However, its good manners to get off the bike and wheel it while on a footpath, unless its during the delivery hours on Henry St, Grafton st when you can cycle on the pedestrian area.

I notice a lot of DB users - mostly, students and tourists from South American countries - who often cycle against the traffic. Although its bad practice here its actually considered safe cycling in bigger more congested ( and more dangerous ) cities. Perhaps DB could run a campaign on the Do's and Donts of cycling in Dublin.

As always, whether you're a pedestrian, cyclist or motorist , a small bit of consideration of other users goes along way. We'll never have the infrastructure of Copenhagan or Amsterdam so I guess there isn't much choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    However, its good manners to get off the bike and wheel it while on a footpath, unless its during the delivery hours on Henry St, Grafton st when you can cycle on the pedestrian area.

Is it not *the law*, rather than good manners, to get off the bike and wheel it when on a footpath?

Is cycling on pedestrian streets actually permitted during delivery hours? I thought the only non-pedestrian traffic allowed was for delivery of goods?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The skanger kids cycling on the paths are looking for phones to snatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It looks like Dublin Bikes celebrated their 10,000,000th journey by having people cycle three abreast on the footpath!
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bikes-cycle-lanes-paths-dublin-2064194-Apr2015/
    Three abreast, no helmets, on a footpath? Not too big a deal.

Have the Gardai hand out fines for anyone who breaks a red light, and we'll go after the footpath cyclists afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Aard wrote: »
    Yes you're right. Try to trace a path from west of Grafton Street to east of Grafton Street by bike. The only legal way involves a ~1km diversion. As for O'Connell Street to Heuston -- have you tried cycling on the quays? Not for the meek.

People cycling on footpaths is a symptom of a poorly designed street network.

I don't find the south quays too bad. They are at least, wide, smooth and flat, with a bus lane from Tara st. to Houston stn. One thing I don't like is the pedestrian light turning red after turning right onto the quays from the bridge at Capel st. It persuades me to go up the hill at Lord Edward St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's not a continuous bus lane along the south quays. Most notably at the pinch points / areas of highest conflict. It's absolutely inadequate as bike infrastructure provision. Try Victoria Quay into Heuston Station sometime. Four lanes for cars, none for bikes. With 185 DublinBikes docking points in and around Heuston, that has just added more cyclists into that conflict zone.

I use Victoria Quay to go up Steevens Lane.

185 DublinBikes = Critical Mass.

Plenty of over the shoulder looking along there, listening for engines. Get in lane...be grand. In fairness, I rarely go into the station and don't hardly ever cross the bridge, though I could go to my mother's that way.

As an aside, I consider any lane a lane for a bike....

Do you mean a bus lane that stops 20m short of a junction, for example Watling Street?

The first bend at the chicane at the station is lethal, and I mount the footpath there, it's dipped for cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

Another one that particularly annoys me is people cycling along the LUAS red line from middle abbey street to smithfield and vice versa. Technically illegal and very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I regularly (ie almost on a daily basis) nearly get mowed down by cyclists on the pedestrian only footpath on the promenade on the Clontarf Road - the part between Alfie Byrne Road and the wooden bridge, when there is an excellent cycle path only metres away.

Regularly but never actually. I regularly nearly win the lottery everyday too

tampopo wrote: »
    The first bend at the chicane at the station is lethal, and I mount the footpath there, it's dipped for cycles.

Lethal is the word. Try turning right over Frank Sherwin Bridge. Cross two lanes of traffic, usually at top speed. It's not a simple matter of looking over your shoulder "be grand". Cycling should be safe for everyone. This is not a safe part of the road network.

Incidentally, having appropriate infrastructure near junctions is the most important. It's where the majority of conflict points are.

skinnie wrote: »
    Another one that particularly annoys me is people cycling along the LUAS red line from middle abbey street to smithfield and vice versa. Technically illegal and very dangerous.

Unless they're holding up your tram, why would this annoy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

skinnie wrote: »

Why is that illegal when regular vehicle traffic is allowed along most of that same section? The only really dangerous bit is that I've seen someone get a tyre stuck inside the actual track and go over their handle bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I live and walk around the city centre everyday of the week. Cycling on footpaths is not a huge issue imo as those that do it generally cycle at a reasonable speed so are not a danger to anyone.

Agreed. This is not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭atilladehun

MJohnston wrote: »
    Cyclists sometimes use footpaths and annoy pedestrians. Just as...
    Pedestrians sometimes ignore red crossing signals and annoy cyclists and drivers. Just as...
    Drivers sometimes ignore red traffic lights and annoy pedestrians, cyclists, and other drivers. Just as...
    Cyclists sometimes get in the way of cars and annoy drivers. Just as...
    Drivers sometimes are ignorant of cyclists and pedestrians and cause them physical danger. Just as...
    etc etc etc.

Basically - everybody is a dick.

(posted as someone who is at various times a driver, a pedestrian, a cyclist, and a dick)

This

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cyclists are probably unique in that they're the only commuting group who actually think they're like islamic fundamentalists when it comes to protecting the sanctity of a cycle lane but also feel entitled to use every other part of the city as their own road

bottom line, the pigeons of the commuting world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bambi wrote: »
    Cyclists are probably unique in that they're the only commuting group who actually think they're like islamic fundamentalists when it comes to protecting the sanctity of a cycle lane but also feel entitled to use every other part of the city as their own road

You mean like cars in bus lanes, or not letting buses pull out, or blocking buses, and hitting luas. Even not letting other cars pull out. Blocking the overtaking lane.
    Or pedestrians, walking out in front of cars, especially at junctions, or walking in cycle lanes.

Let face it rule breaking in Ireland is the norm.

As is only seeing one side of it.

Cycling is the only mode of transport that the city hasn't made its mind up on whether it wants to treat them as vehicles, as pedestrians, or as a distinct mode of transport. No wonder people are confused as to where they can and an't cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Cycle lanes are a bit of a mess in some parts of the city. You can have cycle lanes starting and/or ending smack bang in the middle of a footpath.

Take this example near Samuel Beckett Bridge; literally about 10 metres of cycle lane sandwiched in between footpaths on either side.
    cyclelane.jpg

Try and figure that one out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aard wrote: »
    Cycling is the only mode of transport that the city hasn't made its mind up on whether it wants to treat them as vehicles, as pedestrians, or as a distinct mode of transport. No wonder people are confused as to where they can and an't cycle.

No, the city has made its mind up, cyclists are not pedestrians so no cycling on footpaths. Its the law and stuff. Cyclists just chose to ignore it.

If the day ever comes when motorists are driving up footpaths in their droves, I'll be calling them on it. Up until then I'll be focusing on our cycling chums

Cyclists ARE entitled to use...oh I see. Never mind.
    But the sanctity of the cycle track is protected by law....fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

I use Dublin Bikes every couple of weeks, i cycle on the foot path if its convenient to do so, I slow down to pass pedestrians and i've got a few funny looks and comments from "it's the law..." types once or twice but personally i think people are too up tight and need to relax... if your not causing danger to others then go as you please imo

No, the city has made its mind up, cyclists are not pedestrians so no cycling on footpaths. Its the law and stuff. Cyclists just chose to ignore it.

If the day ever comes when motorists are driving up footpaths in their droves, I'll be calling them on it. Up until then I'll be focusing on our cycling chums
    Cycling on footpaths drives me up the wall too. I do not defend it. But I do have the objectivity to understand why people do cycle on footpaths. It's a symptom of inadequate and inappropriate infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Piriz wrote: »
    I use Dublin Bikes every couple of weeks, i cycle on the foot path if its convenient to do so, I slow down to pass pedestrians and i've got a few funny looks and comments from "it's the law..." types once or twice but personally i think people are too up tight and need to relax... if your not causing danger to others then go as you please imo

Well you're breaking the law, endangering mother's with their children, the sick, the old, the lame as well as all other types of pedestrians. You're also giving cyclists a bad name and justifying reckless driving and feeding Joe Duffy and sir George hook with anti cycling polemics.

If you want to use the foot path get off the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Standman wrote: »
    Cycle lanes are a bit of a mess in some parts of the city. You can have cycle lanes starting and/or ending smack bang in the middle of a footpath.

Take this example near Samuel Beckett Bridge; literally about 10 metres of cycle lane sandwiched in between footpaths on either side.
    cyclelane.jpg

Try and figure that one out!

I cycle that a bit. If I remember correctly the cycle lane is on the stone slabs separated from the footpath by a track of lights that I don't think even work now. You are supposed to move onto the road at the end of it.

The cycle lanes around the IFSC are atrocious. Randomly ending. Randomly one-way then two-way. Back and forth onto the road. Make up your mind, road engineers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Well you're breaking the law, endangering mother's with their children, the sick, the old, the lame as well as all other types of pedestrians. You're also giving cyclists a bad name and justifying reckless driving and feeding Joe Duffy and sir George hook with anti cycling polemics.

If you want to use the foot path get off the bike.

"Wont someone please think of the children"

No, the law is a rigid blanket ban, i prefer to use my own judgement..if your aware of what Joe Duffy and George Hook are saying it might be you who is being fed...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Well you're breaking the law, endangering mother's with their children.

I push a pram through the city every day of the week and have never had an issue with anyone cycling on a footpath as they tend to cycle slowly and defensively. A much bigger issue for 'mother's' (not fathers??:() is cars and bicycles going through red lights, ignoring asls, stopping in yellow boxes, stopping across pedestrian areas, parking on the footpaths (where the biggest problem is outside Store Street & Pearse Street Garda stations aswell as the Garda place up on Harcourt Street). Taxis and busses cause alot of issues aswell where they stop randomly thereby blocking pedestrians and restricting views along with creating artificial pinch points.
    Never had any problems with a cyclist on a footpath.

tldr - nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If cyclists are to be vilified for occasionally using the footpaths, I submit that pedestrians walking on cycle lanes (an exceptionally common occurrence) be attacked by raptors of some description as punishment. It's only fair.

Advertisement