Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bikes being cycled on the footpath?

Options
  • 24-04-2015 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Anyone who regularly walks around Dublin city centre is likely quite familiar with dodging people who are cycling Dublin Bikes on the footpath, on pedestrian-only streets, on the pedestrian-only bridge down near the docklands, on Luas platforms and so forth.

It looks like Dublin Bikes celebrated their 10,000,000th journey by having people cycle three abreast on the footpath!
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bikes-cycle-lanes-paths-dublin-2064194-Apr2015/

*facepalm*

(Disclaimer, I'm not overly familiar with the area around Kilmainham Gaol, so maybe that is actually a road that just looks like a footpath - I am open to being told I got it totally wrong, in which case I'll palm my own face!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

The area around Kilmainham Gaol is where taxis and tour buses park on a double/contra flow cycle track on a one way street, forcing cyclists into oncoming traffic. So, it's a road with a cycle track on it that looks like parking spaces (to some drivers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

tampopo wrote: »
    So, it's a road with a cycle track on it that looks like parking spaces (to some drivers).

Ah crap... So that is actually a road that they are cycling on in that clip? I guess I have to eat my words...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Put in Dutch-quality bike infrastructure and you'll never see somebody cycling on the footpath again.

Aard wrote: »
    Put in Dutch-quality bike infrastructure and you'll never see somebody cycling on the footpath again.

I'd nearly give my right arm to never see someone cycling on a footpath, pedestrian st. or the wrong way on a one-way street in Dublin again... Who do I need to talk to about getting this Dutch-quality infrastructure in place? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Ah crap... So that is actually a road that they are cycling on in that clip? I guess I have to eat my words...

The cycle track there is brown and is often used as a taxi lane ;)
    So the people in the photo linked are cycling on the footpath. Normal rules don't apply to photo shoots.

• Advertisement

I'd nearly give my right arm to never see someone cycling on a footpath, pedestrian st. or the wrong way on a one-way street in Dublin again... Who do I need to talk to about getting this Dutch-quality infrastructure in place? :-D

Dublin City Council. The proposed Liffey Cycle Route should help make people feel safer while cycling.

People only cycle on footpaths for two reasons: where they don't feel safe cycling on the road (sharing lanes with buses, trucks, taxis etc); or where there is no direct route due to a one-way system designed for fast cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

tampopo wrote: »
    The area around Kilmainham Gaol is where taxis and tour buses park on a double/contra flow cycle track on a one way street, forcing cyclists into oncoming traffic. So, it's a road with a cycle track on it that looks like parking spaces (to some drivers).

346448.png

People only cycle on footpaths for two reasons: where they don't feel safe cycling on the road (sharing lanes with buses, trucks, taxis etc); or where there is no direct route due to a one-way system designed for fast cars.

I'd be inclined to add a third reason too. There's a certain sector of society that seem to do it because they just couldn't give a flying one about anyone else and have no respect for the rightful users of the footpath. The same sort of folks who don't clean up after their dogs...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I live and walk around the city centre everyday of the week. Cycling on footpaths is not a huge issue imo as those that do it generally cycle at a reasonable speed so are not a danger to anyone. The bigger issue is cars and cyclists barrelling through pedestrian lights, where they should be stopping, at speed where people may be crossing.

I have to say the Sean O Casey Bridge is particularly idiotic to ban cyclists as the one way system on the quays coupled with fast moving traffic and silly cycling infrastructure makes it very difficuly and dangerous to cycle around there hence the reason that so many completely ignore the no bicycle rule on the bridge*

*also putting a Dublin bikes stand at the entrance to the bridge was not the smartest idea if the intention was to keep bikes off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Simple solution if they are heading straight for you and are going to hit you. Twist the handle bars on them. I find it really stops them good and they will think twice about cycling on a footpath again.....and I am a cyclist!

• Advertisement

No. That photo looks like they're posing for a photo on the footpath. (for the duration of the photoshoot/photo op).

Any and all public representatives that you may know, or any you can think of.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Cycling on footpaths is not a huge issue imo as those that do it generally cycle at a reasonable speed so are not a danger to anyone.

Possibly true in some parts of town, but Amiens St. / North Strand Rd. is particularly bad for cyclists absolutely tearing down the footpath. In that part of town though, motorcyclists on footpaths are not all that uncommon, so maybe I'm being too harsh on cyclists!

I've seen some pretty ludicrous cycling on Grafton St. too on a fairly regular basis - I'm surprised I haven't seen more bike vs. pedestrian/buggy accidents there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not too many Dublin bikes out that far though is there? That is more likely locals I would have thought

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not too many Dublin bikes out that far though is there? That is more likely locals I would have thought

Oh yeah, definitely the locals that are the offenders there, and I definitely wouldn't try the handlebar trick to stop them either for fear of my life! The worst thing about it though is that there is a cycle lane on each side of the road and they still choose to barrel down the footpath instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cyclists sometimes use footpaths and annoy pedestrians. Just as...
    Pedestrians sometimes ignore red crossing signals and annoy cyclists and drivers. Just as...
    Drivers sometimes ignore red traffic lights and annoy pedestrians, cyclists, and other drivers. Just as...
    Cyclists sometimes get in the way of cars and annoy drivers. Just as...
    Drivers sometimes are ignorant of cyclists and pedestrians and cause them physical danger. Just as...
    etc etc etc.

Basically - everybody is a dick.

(posted as someone who is at various times a driver, a pedestrian, a cyclist, and a dick)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've seen some pretty ludicrous cycling on Grafton St. too on a fairly regular basis - I'm surprised I haven't seen more bike vs. pedestrian/buggy accidents there.

and yet you haven't - so maybe it's not such a big issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Simple solution would be to for DB to allow guards to confiscate the cards from subscribers who use the bikes in an illegal/unsafe manner. When the cards are returned to DB, they can simply blacklist the subscriber.

The Guards are not really interested in enforcing minor traffic infringements around the city other than the bus corridor as far as I can see. I have yet to see a Guard set up at a set of lights and pull over any cars, cycles that break the red.

Any idea when those fixed charge penalties for cyclists breaching road rules are due to come in to effect?

• Advertisement

I'd be inclined to add a third reason too. There's a certain sector of society that seem to do it because they just couldn't give a flying one about anyone else and have no respect for the rightful users of the footpath. The same sort of folks who don't clean up after their dogs...

I would opine that even those people would use proper cycle infrastructure over the footpath if it were in place.

I would opine that even those people would use proper cycle infrastructure over the footpath if it were in place.

Amiens St. has perfectly fine cycle lanes going in both directions, yet a large chunk of people (generally of a distinctly skanger-ish persuasion) choose to cycle on the path instead.

Well that sounds like nothing to do with DublinBikes users.

Well that sounds like nothing to do with DublinBikes users.

Nope, just run-of-the-mill footpath cyclists. I see a lot more footpath cycling on Dublin Bikes around Grafton St / St. Stephen's Green, and another pocket of it from O'Connell St. over as far as Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I regularly (ie almost on a daily basis) nearly get mowed down by cyclists on the pedestrian only footpath on the promenade on the Clontarf Road - the part between Alfie Byrne Road and the wooden bridge, when there is an excellent cycle path only metres away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Twice in recent weeks I have seen a Garda on a bike cycling on the footpath! Anyone else ever seen this?

Nope, just run-of-the-mill footpath cyclists. I see a lot more footpath cycling on Dublin Bikes around Grafton St / St. Stephen's Green, and another pocket of it from O'Connell St. over as far as Heuston.

Yes you're right. Try to trace a path from west of Grafton Street to east of Grafton Street by bike. The only legal way involves a ~1km diversion. As for O'Connell Street to Heuston -- have you tried cycling on the quays? Not for the meek.

People cycling on footpaths is a symptom of a poorly designed street network.

I regularly (ie almost on a daily basis) nearly get mowed down by cyclists on the pedestrian only footpath on the promenade on the Clontarf Road - the part between Alfie Byrne Road and the wooden bridge, when there is an excellent cycle path only metres away.

Again, nothing to do with DublinBikes.

Yes you're right. Try to trace a path from west of Grafton Street to east of Grafton Street by bike. The only legal way involves a ~1km diversion. As for O'Connell Street to Heuston -- have you tried cycling on the quays? Not for the meek.

A path from the west of Grafton St. to the east of it can be safely and legally traversed very easily and quickly by dismounting and walking across the pedestrian street, no?

Re: O'Connell Street to Heuston, I have no doubt the quays on a bike may be a scary place. However, if you are going to cycle between those points you are obliged to do it legally. If it's too scary to go the direct route, and too lengthy to take the alternative route, then the Luas does the job nicely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Again, nothing to do with DublinBikes.

No examples of bicycles being cycled on footpaths necessarily has anything to do with DB unless DB has specially programmed it's bikes to force users to cycle on the footpath. So I'm not sure what you are looking for.

Advertisement