Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bikes being cycled on the footpath?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The illegal actions that I see multiple times every single day, without exception, that I am in town as a pedestrian are:
    - people cycling on footpaths / pedestrian streets
    - people cycling the wrong way on a one-way street
    - people cycling through red lights

The other offences I see regularly enough:
    - cyclists on the wrong side of the road entirely
    - cyclists dangerously attempting to undertake a vehicle, where the driver is indicating to turn left and the cyclist is trying to go straight ahead (I'm not sure if this is actually against the law, but it's a hazard to the health of the cyclist, to say the least!)
    - cyclists dangerously overtaking a bus that is in the process of pulling out from a stop

I would not consider any of these to be 'acceptable' though!

For someone obsessed with following the rules you don't have a very good grasp of them, and seem instead to have contempt for the rights of cyclists.

If you are in a car and turning left it is your responsibility to make sure that there are no cyclists to your left. They're not "undertaking", they are going in a straight line and you are threatening to drive through them, they have right of way.

When a bus, or any other vehicle, is pulling away from the kerb it is their responsibility to make sure the lane is clear and must wait until it is clear before pulling out, whether there is a bike or a car using the lane.

You don't seem to so much have a problem with cyclists breaking rules as you do with cyclists existing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

The illegal actions that I see multiple times every single day, without exception, that I am in town as a pedestrian are:
    - Wrong and stupid I dont know why people do this.
    - There is an argument that one-ways should only apply to motorized vehicles.
    - Again stupid
    - cyclists dangerously attempting to undertake a vehicle, where the driver is indicating to turn left and the cyclist is trying to go straight ahead (I'm not sure if this is actually against the law, but it's a hazard to the health of the cyclist, to say the least!)
    - cyclists dangerously overtaking a bus that is in the process of pulling out from a stop

- havent seen too much of this.
    - stupid behaviour but motorist should wait until cyclist has past before turning. The driver may not have put on the indicator on in time.
    - I have seen motorist do this as much as cyclist but I dont see the point as the bus will have overtake again.

To add to your list however.
    - Cyclist without lights usually with dark clothes
    - Without Helmet (as we know not against the law but stupid and selfish if you ask me)
    - On the phone (I saw a young lad come off the footpath, break a light then run out in front of me while on the phone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Zillah wrote: »
    For someone obsessed with following the rules you don't have a very good grasp of them, and seem instead to have contempt for the rights of cyclists.

If you are in a car and turning left it is your responsibility to make sure that there are no cyclists to your left. They're not "undertaking", they are going in a straight line and you are threatening to drive through them, they have right of way.

When a bus, or any other vehicle, is pulling away from the kerb it is their responsibility to make sure the lane is clear and must wait until it is clear before pulling out, whether there is a bike or a car using the lane.

You don't seem to so much have a problem with cyclists breaking rules as you do with cyclists existing at all.

I speak out of concern for the welfare of cyclists themselves! In terms of buses, I'm talking about when a bus is indicating right, has already begun to pull out, and a cyclist coming from behind speeds up and attempts to overtake the already-moving bus. In any case I have seen the bus driver stop and let the cyclist pass. That behaviour is hazardous to the cyclist's own safety, surely. And it would be equally nuts to attempt that move in a car. I have no issue in the slightest with cyclists being on the road, but that is just a reckless move however you look at it.

Same thing with cyclists undertaking a left-turning vehicle. If the vehicle has waited until the cyclist is alongside them to indicate then they are being reckless, but if the vehicle has indicated in time, and the cyclist still tries to race them to the junction, again it's sheer recklessness! Of course the driver isn't going to deliberately try to side-swipe the cyclist, but the cyclist is potentially putting themselves in harm's way. I believe many large vehicles have blind spots too and so might not even see the cyclist before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I would not consider any of these to be 'acceptable' though!

It's funny how you only see cyclists breaking the law, yet the road safety statistics will show you that motor vehicles kill 200 people each year and maim thousands of others, while cyclists kill zero people each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This information is incorrect. I urge you to edit your original post to avoid confusion.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html
    A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—
    (i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,
    (ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or
    (iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    It's funny how you only see cyclists breaking the law, yet the road safety statistics will show you that motor vehicles kill 200 people each year and maim thousands of others, while cyclists kill zero people each year.

I see plenty of motorists do stupid stuff (using phones, not indicating, and speeding up to go through an amber light being the most obvious), but as a pedestrian I notice far more cyclists really obviously breaking the law on an average day in town.

And to relate back to my original post, an unusually large amount of those bikes that I see being used in an illegal / reckless manner in town seem to be Dublin Bikes...

And to relate back to my original post, an unusually large amount of those bikes that I see being used in an illegal / reckless manner in town seem to be Dublin Bikes...

Yeah, feckin casuals.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This information is incorrect. I urge you to edit your original post to avoid confusion.

I've literally never seen a cyclist going fast enough to catch up with and try to overtake a car that has already signaled their intent to turn. What usually happens is that a cyclist will already be beside a vehicle and they will suddenly turn or indicate at the last second and turn without looking in their mirror. It's the drivers responsibility to not do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

And Cyclone couriers ;)

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    And Cyclone couriers ;)

I used to actually find those guys were great at stopping at lights / not cycling on the footpaths etc. up until a few months ago, then I started seeing guys in Cyclone gear going through red lights in town quite a bit. I guess they could be under increased pressure to deliver stuff as quickly as they possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Re: stopping at lights. I have to be honest, and say that I don't always do it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I see plenty of motorists do stupid stuff (using phones, not indicating, and speeding up to go through an amber light being the most obvious), but as a pedestrian I notice far more cyclists really obviously breaking the law on an average day in town.

Speeding up to go through amber lights? You're joking right? If you notice 'far more cyclists' breaking the law, there is just a touch of selection bias going on.

But regardless, the fact remains - Cyclists don't kill people on the roads in Ireland. If you want to save lives on the road, you're looking in the wrong direction.

Speeding up to go through amber lights? You're joking right? If you notice 'far more cyclists' breaking the law, there is just a touch of selection bias going on.

The behaviour in the above clip by the motorists is horrendous!! The other thing I HATE is when a vehicle decides to drive right on to the pedestrian crossing and then stop there just as the green man lights up. I notice this most on Dame St, probably because of the number of buses that use it.

...but as a pedestrian I definitely notice more bad behaviour from cyclists than motorists. Obviously a reckless motorist is more likely to do some serious damage than a reckless cyclist, but in terms of frequency, as a pedestrian I definitely spot more cyclists than motorists doing dodgy stuff on roads/footpaths in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yep, a good shoulder sticking out at the same time helps too. The other option is to stand with both arms outstretched blocking the pavement, and wave them out onto the road. If everyone did this, they'd soon tire of the pavement.

I find this works best: http://goo.gl/uqy45M

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As a pedestrian in Dublin city centre, I spot pedestrians breaking the law the most -- mass jaywalking on O'Connell Street is the prime example.

Is jaywalking illegal in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

monument wrote: »
    As a pedestrian in Dublin city centre, I spot pedestrians breaking the law the most -- mass jaywalking on O'Connell Street is the prime example.

But if we're going with the size, weight and speed argument that's been promoted here (bikes don't do as much damage as cars so breaking the law's alright), then pedestrians breaking the law is even less of an issue isn't it?

... so breaking the law's alright...

I have not said that.

If your so keen on attributing points not made be posters to them, maybe your perspective on cycling is also a bit out of focus?
    Aard wrote: »

Within 15 meters of a crossing it is.

• Advertisement

Technically but it is not enforced.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a46
    (more of an emphasis on never crossing if there's a red man rather than on open road)

Personally I think every instance of people walking on the road where they have a red pedestrian light should be prosecuted, because rules are rules.

Within 15 meters of a crossing it is.
    I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but do you know where it says this? I recently was told that the "red man" traffic light was merely advisory, and naturally enough that really threw me.

EDIT: just saw the above comment.

EDIT EDIT: where it says "shall not" -- isn't that merely advisory? In the UK they make a distinction between "shall not" and "must not"...

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, but do you know where it says this? I recently was told that the "red man" traffic light was merely advisory, and naturally enough that really threw me.

EDIT: just saw the above comment.

EDIT EDIT: where it says "shall not" -- isn't that merely advisory? In the UK they make a distinction between "shall not" and "must not"...

No.

Shall not = must not.

I have not said that.

If your so keen on attributing points not made be posters to them, maybe your perspective on cycling is also a bit out of focus?

Although I was quoting your comment, my response was related to a running theme of comment made by other posters. Reading the last few pages of the thread I thought would have made that obvious.

As for my perspectives, my only one is that I don't buy the argument that it's ok to disregard certain rules of the road because the person thinks the risk is low.

Although I was quoting your comment, my response was related to a running theme of comment made by other posters. Reading the last few pages of the thread I thought would have made that obvious.

As for my perspectives, my only one is that I don't buy the argument that it's ok to disregard certain rules of the road because the person thinks the risk is low.

So no one should ever cross when a pedestrian light is red?

So no one should ever cross when a pedestrian light is red?

Technically no, but I'm as guilty as the next person!

I see...

So we're allowed to break the rules all we want as long as we post on the internet that we technically shouldn't, am I following you?

I see...

So we're allowed to break the rules all we want as long as we post on the internet that we technically shouldn't, am I following you?

Yeah, probably.

Seriously though, the argument I was trying (unsuccessfully) to make is that me breaking the ROTR as a pedestrian is no different to a car doing it or a bike.

No hang on

Am I allowed to break the rules on my bike or not, and if not, why is it ok for you to do it as a pedestrian?

• Advertisement

No hang on

Am I allowed to break the rules on my bike or not, and if not, why is it ok for you to do it as a pedestrian?

No it's not ok for me to break the rules on foot and if ever pulled up on it, I'll take the consequences.

Advertisement