Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Time will alter by one second this year :)

http://www.sciencealert.com/we-re-all-getting-an-extra-second-on-june-30-this-year

Couldn't help it. Soz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

GrumPy wrote: »
    Was gonna pick one of these up in Argos on the way home (just handy for a the holliers) How does it fit? My wrists are like a 12 year old girl's, despite being a 26 year old man - so when I wear a stainless steel strap, it usually moves around on my arm and gets really annoying... :o

I know your pain. My wrists are the same size as my mothers!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I know your pain. My wrists are the same size as my mothers!:eek:

But that means you get to wear all the vintage loveliness in a good size for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

This weeks watch is a vintage Vostok. The deciding factor on snapping this one up was the 'lightning bolt' indices.

VostokLB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Eoin wrote: »
    But that means you get to wear all the vintage loveliness in a good size for you!

Don't be making excuses for the girlie wrists.. :p

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moar new shoes! :) Distressed leather Nato.

3304itz.jpg

Cheapest way to get that new watch feelz. :) 14 quid from an Italian crowd on the Bay. Can't go wrong.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nice! Can you link to their eBay store?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No worries E, here ya go. Very supple strap I have to say, nice hardware too and they deliver fast and registered with it. Big selection and not just Natos.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Lovely, thanks for that. I think my watch I posted above would be too top heavy for a canvas NATO, so a leather one might work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I have this watch about six weeks now and haven't taken it off. It's a good size (41mm), great lume, feels well-made, and is generally what I would call a 'handsome' watch - relatively plain, not faddy, should stand the test of style time.

Here it is driving into the Spanish sun. If you ever eat paella in Ireland the rice in it is grown in these fields all around me here - they're planting them at the moment for harvest in September I think (not being in any way agricultural, me, I'm kinda speculating here...).

Rolex%20DJII%20April_zpsygerfsjf.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmmm, living with the leather Nato on the Zenith above for the last few days, I'm actually beginning to think the new stylee nylon Nato looks better :eek: Less "hipster", less trying too hard to be "authentic" or something…

For a change and one I've not worn for a while I'm sporting this today;

2aj9p3q.jpg

Hampden from around 1915-16. In dire need of a polish and new crystal. :o The hands ain't original either. They would have been radium filled "cathedral" hands originally. Nightmare to source. I did source the dial that would have worked with those hands, but they're common enough, that hollow numeral radium dial style are a lot rarer for these. Like I've only seen one in pictures rare. The search continues…

Cracking little movement in these. Real quality. Much higher than the vast majority of Swiss movements at the time. Overcoil, screwed gold chatons, fine regulation and such like. To this day a nicely accurate performer. Over the last 24 hours it's gained 15 seconds and going on previous will consistently do so and hasn't had a service in at least six years. :o

Took a pic of the above Hampden's movement to show want I mean about the nice quality of it.

2wpj72o.jpg

A 15jewel "Diadem" originally fitted to ladies pocket watches. Gold set and screwed jewels, fine regulation, nice bit of plate finishing and decoration too. The Americans seemed to really go in for this at the time. The europeans were usually much less blingy. You can see the dirt on it though. :o

And while I was at it I took a snap of the Zenith Pilots movement. Cool thing about these is it's under a glass inner cover.

2ljgdnk.jpg

Really fills the case, which means you can run a bigger balance wheel which makes for more accuracy. Frosted gilt finish, plain but effective. Nice finishing on the edges of the plates. Breguet overcoil spring, snail cam regulator, indirectly driven centre second gear wheel at "7 o'clock". It was considered a complication in them days. The hand flutters more than the later direct seconds layout. This style of Zenith movement regularly won chronometer competitions back then. Their best result in such a competition in the 50's with their 135 calibre IIRC was also very similar in layout to this. The last time this got a proper service with balance work and such, it was running well under chronometer rating. +/- two seconds per day. Not bad for an oul fart. Sadly it's not like that these days. In dire need of a fettling, but if I put this in the post I'd likely need daily injections of horse tranquillisers until it returned. :o

Zenith XL-Tronic

Wears Lovely, but one closer inspection the glass is scratched at 3 and 5 clock...

so, email on the way to seller...would they polish out ?

IMG_0265_zpswo06eyyv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

That is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

That's looks like a keeper NM

It looks like standard 70's mineral glass DT. Yep it will polish out, though requires more elbow grease than acrylic using brasso or polywatch. If you want to do it yourself I can do up a how to for you. You need a special finishing paste, but it's cheap as chips. Like a fiver on the Bay. The other option is a replacement crystal and because it's circular and flat that would be easy peasy to source a generic. However I'd personally not go that route as it's not exactly fecked going by the photo and the guy fitting it might screw up. :s

Oh and BTW, very cool looking watch DT. :) Not a cheap watch when first in the shops. By any means. Rolex money effectively.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It looks like standard 70's mineral glass DT. Yep it will polish out, though requires more elbow grease than acrylic using brasso or polywatch. If you want to do it yourself I can do up a how to for you. You need a special finishing paste, but it's cheap as chips. Like a fiver on the Bay. The other option is a replacement crystal and because it's circular and flat that would be easy peasy to source a generic. However I'd personally not go that route as it's not exactly fecked going by the photo and the guy fitting it might screw up. :s

Oh and BTW, very cool looking watch DT. :) Not a cheap watch when first in the shops. By any means. Rolex money effectively.

they feel quite deep, more like a gouge to be honest...but its very nice, was gonna return it as its quoted as perfect and it aint...mmmmm

If you want to do it yourself I can do up a how to for you. You need a special finishing paste, but it's cheap as chips. Like a fiver on the Bay

that would be great, waiting for seller to come back to me and se what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

Goodbye for a while...….

346040.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

It looks like standard 70's mineral glass DT. Yep it will polish out, though requires more elbow grease than acrylic using brasso or polywatch. If you want to do it yourself I can do up a how to for you. You need a special finishing paste, but it's cheap as chips. Like a fiver on the Bay

Wibbs, how well would that paste work on a Seiko Hardlex crystal?

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Goodbye for a while...….

Any replacement sorted??

Zenith XL-Tronic

Wears Lovely, but one closer inspection the glass is scratched at 3 and 5 clock...

That is a lovely looking watch.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Wibbs, how well would that paste work on a Seiko Hardlex crystal?
    Dunno TBH G. Never tried. I think the hardly material is more of a sapphire type? More hardened, in which case no, or it would take ages.

seller came back and said they can replace the glass, or they can replace with another one they have or a refund...

What ya all think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »

Any replacement sorted??

Won't be gome long! Just dropped it into the AD for its first service!

If they have another one the same, that would be the route I'd be taking myself DT. Once I'd have been surprised to hear that they had two of such a thing, but in the last couple of years I've bumped into a fair few sellers who seemed to be liquidating old stock from ex jewellers/watchmakers, newly retired or even closed down in the economic downturn?

Lots of parts, non working watches and near NOS stuff coming onto the market. A lot more 1970/80's stuff compared to the usual background level too. One example was a Longines Beta 21 quartz. previously known from one low res photo and considered a one off, before last xmas three such examples all NOS came to light from three separate Swiss dealers. Five overall, all NOS last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

17041764859_ecbae19ee7_c.jpg

Latest aquisition beside a little treat after a long day.

Dunno TBH G. Never tried. I think the hardly material is more of a sapphire type? More hardened, in which case no, or it would take ages.

I gather from what I've read that it's not as hard as sapphire, but less brittle. Certainly much harder than acrylic.

PS - I see the French war hero and secret agent Bob Maloubier died on Monday, aged 92. What's that go to do with watches, you ask? Well, if an original Blancpain Fifty Fathoms ever turns up here, he's the man to thank:

Maloubier went on to become a founder member of the French equivalent of the US Navy Seals. He joined the French intelligence services and also designed the famous Fifty Fathoms diving watch worn by the celebrated oceanographer Jacques Cousteau.

An uncle of mine has an original Fifty Fathoms. Got it decades ago, in the 1960s IIRC, when on holiday in Spain. He told me it wasn't expensive. He's into the oul swimming and the wife had suggested he buy a divers watch. He had been looking at Omegas, Longines, Rolex and a few others and he said the BP was cheaper than any of them. :eek: and he much preferred the look of it. Felt it was more "dressy", less bulky than the Rolexes he was looking at and it came on a leather strap according to him which he preferred. It's his daily driver ever since. Haven't seen him or it in a while. I do recall it's in amazing condition and smaller than you might think. Wore like a 38mm watch kinda thing. He has it on a spidel expanding type metal strap. I know… :D He was always very suspish if I made a cup of tea for him, convinced I was gonna dope him and steal the watch. :D He was gobsmacked when I told him of its likely value. He even has the original sales receipt somewhere.

• Advertisement

He was gobsmacked when I told him of its likely value. He even has the original sales receipt somewhere.

Here's one (older than your uncle's, mind you) with a BIN price of thirty thousand Euros!

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Original-LIP-Blancpain-Fifty-Fathoms-Militartaucheruhr-Modell-1953-/231533746920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item35e87c9ae8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement