Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

tampopo wrote: »

Were they comparing like with like? I didn't see enough of it to be sure....

Well they were comparing three homes and each giving their comments on it and then scoring it.

I enjoyed it. But I just wish it was longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

Baxtardo wrote: »
    I would say there is instead a defined fire-rated exit route from the bedrooms out through the ground floor, avoiding the kitchen etc.

Nope the staircase is completely open to the kitchen space.

Its up on RTE player now and at 1.38 you can see the view from kitchen to stairs/front door and at 8.58 you can see the opposite view and up the stairs.

There doesn't appear to be a smoke detector in sight either which is even more worrying.

I'm being a bit pedantic obviously as this is more of an interior show but for an architect design house (for your own parents never the less) that's a bit crazy if I'm correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Just watched it on the player. Thought it was awful, didn't like it at all.

Way too short, didn't like the format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OK, watching back a bit late, haven't read any comments yet so I have no idea what the tone of this thread is - hope I'm not way out of sync :D

The three presenters are annoying me already - they're so UP themselves.

First house - a bit meh, definitely a house of two parts, upstairs and downstairs. That jetty was a nice idea but really, the nicest spot in the whole house? Really? And awful exterior.

Second house - jaysus, a bit brutalist on the outside! It's a bit echoey..... No windows in the bedrooms? :eek:

Third house - ah, lads, tell us where it is in Dublin! Dunno about that intentionally retro designer oldy worldy feel. They hit the nail on the head - super cool. Painfully super cool. I absolutely love the house, hate the interior. Contrived is right. Aw jeez, bare stairs???

Yeah, winner was the least worst one in fairness (although I'd kill to live in any of them, except maybe the last one).

Hmmm..... not sure I'll last the pace with this series, although no doubt I'll get sucked in if only because of this thread!

Right, now to see what everyone else thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    OK, watching back a bit late, haven't read any comments yet so I have no idea what the tone of this thread is - hope I'm not way out of sync :D

The three presenters are annoying me already - they're so UP themselves.

First house - a bit meh, definitely a house of two parts, upstairs and downstairs. That jetty was a nice idea but really, the nicest spot in the whole house? Really? And awful exterior.

Second house - jaysus, a bit brutalist on the outside! It's a bit echoey..... No windows in the bedrooms? :eek:

Third house - ah, lads, tell us where it is in Dublin! Dunno about that intentionally retro designer oldy worldy feel. They hit the nail on the head - super cool. Painfully super cool. I absolutely love the house, hate the interior. Contrived is right. Aw jeez, bare stairs???

Yeah, winner was the least worst one in fairness (although I'd kill to live in any of them, except maybe the last one).

Hmmm..... not sure I'll last the pace with this series, although no doubt I'll get sucked in if only because of this thread!

Right, now to see what everyone else thought :D

Agree about the presenters.

Presume the second house had no windows upstairs due to planning possibly. It was built in place of their bungalow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

It's a complete take on a Ch4 show that was on a few years ago. The name escapes me at the moment but the format and scoring are the same. I thought it should have been an hour long. The best is yet to come I feel.

It's a complete take on a Ch4 show that was on a few years ago. The name escapes me at the moment but the format and scoring are the same. I thought it should have been an hour long. The best is yet to come I feel.

Oh it's exactly the same. I think that was house of the year or home if the year as well. They also had a very similar food program where three experts went off and to different hotels and restaurants around the world to find best dessert, main and starter etc.

I think their home of the year was an hour long. Just too short for me :-(

I don't mind the presenters although I think that independent article above is fairly spot on. I like the big guy with his scarf :) I think Declan is a cool fella and agreed with him mostly. Something about Helen irks me a bit...

But I do like the format of "experts" giving their views.

Hoping for even more "WOW" and "different " houses. Although I didn't like the one different (chimneys) house last night!

Lol at "painfully super cool" - couldn't agree more - although the young couple seemed nice, at the same time.

I definitely preferred the second house - the most comfortable in it's skin - not even a hint of pretention. I even liked their old couch.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Enjoyed this programme but thought it was ridiculously short.

It is based on a Danish/Scandinavian(?) show but I wonder was their's an hour long.

Still thinking about the couch in the second house - what a monstrosity. Should have been thrown in a skip 20 years ago. Wouldn't suit any house let alone that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Something missing from the show. How can you be a contender for 'home' of the year when they only show 2/3 rooms. No real context on the design side of the home/fitting into the landscape etc. Is it an interior design or a house design show? Judges guessing about constrains on budget etc. It's like they are trying to guess who lives there instead of judging their design taste or whatever it is they are supposed to be judging. Would be better to have home owners there and take the mystery out of it. Let them explain their house, features and how they live in it.
    All very mishmash. It's more 'through the keyhole' than 'Room to Improve'.

JuniorB wrote: »
    Something missing from the show. How can you be a contender for 'home' of the year when they only show 2/3 rooms. No real context on the design side of the home/fitting into the landscape etc. Is it an interior design or a house design show? Judges guessing about constrains on budget etc. It's like they are trying to guess who lives there instead of judging their design taste or whatever it is they are supposed to be judging. Would be better to have home owners there and take the mystery out of it. Let them explain their house, features and how they live in it.
    All very mishmash. It's more 'through the keyhole' than 'Room to Improve'.

I don't think it is trying to be Room to Improve.

Have to agree with some points - we definitely need to see more rooms. If it was an hour long they could do this.

I'd also like to see more of the homeowners actually living in the home.

I'm happy enough with the judges and the amount we see of them. The two lads are grand, Declan seems the most measured, and hopefully Helen will calm down a bit as the series goes one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think it is a good idea for a show, I just think it needs a bit of fine tuning. Agreed it should be an hour long, it should show more rooms in the house, I don't think I seen one bathroom. I think more should be shown of the houses.
    I actually don't like the marking system, just mark out of ten if they like the house. There should be more parameters to judge the house by: eg use of space, use of light, suitability for the occupants, etc.

I liked the first house the best, it had that lived in look, it looked like a home which is fully utilised rather than just a house. The second house I didn't like, the house was too dark outside, completely different to inside and I felt the house didn't match the occupants. The last house all we really seen was the living area!

Just caught the last two minutes of the repeat.

Repeated on Sundays at 5.25 on rte one for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I only got around to reading Thursday's IT today...... this was in the property section

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/20-skips-three-bedsits-and-one-determined-couple-1.2151250

The home office is (or will be) the master bedroom, they're still sleeping in an old bedsit (wonder why they didn't show that, eh?) and the garden is still a building site.

Why on earth would you enter (or, indeed, have accepted) what is clearly still a very unfinished work in progress? confused.png

• Advertisement

Still in the bedsit wow!

Well to be fair I think the judges mentioned "unfinished" a good bit. But some of them tried to make it out as if "unfinished" was the concept :D

I think the right house won through out of those three.

I only got around to reading Thursday's IT today...... this was in the property section

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/20-skips-three-bedsits-and-one-determined-couple-1.2151250

The home office is (or will be) the master bedroom, they're still sleeping in an old bedsit (wonder why they didn't show that, eh?) and the garden is still a building site.

Why on earth would you enter (or, indeed, have accepted) what is clearly still a very unfinished work in progress? confused.png
    amdublin wrote: »
    Still in the bedsit wow!

Well to be fair I think the judges mentioned "unfinished" a good bit. But some of them tried to make it out as if "unfinished" was the concept :D

I think the right house won through out of those three.

Personally I thought the right house won.

I thought that the above house was like a display showroom for all of the stuff she is selling.

Who's around for this?

It's Cork tonight

I like all the colour

• Advertisement

I don't know how to describe this but to say:
    That's a lot of white. And it's also a lot of colour.

I am not sure about it.

Wow what a location.

Nice from the outside... works well in the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That living area is really nice. The gallery and the light is superb.

It's very cool. But a bit mental for me!

This is really nice!

I like the dark (dirty) grout :o

It DOES seem like a shop!

Cool little space in that nook.

I like the bedroom :)

Am I talking to myself again :(

I think there are too many "pieces".

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Am I talking to myself again :(

Nope, we're all listening. I really like this house. A bit cluttered but it carries it for the most part.

WOW!

I think I am going to like this one

This is an amazing home!

I think this house is brave

Do I sound like one of the judges :pac:

Incredible

I don't like the wood tapering in to the window on the outside.

It's fab.

To be critical I would say I don't like the metal bars in the bookshelves

I love this house

Ah those hidden doors are brilliant!

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    I don't like the wood tapering in to the window on the outside.

I love that!

The detailing in the concrete is amazing,

That concrete wall is fab

I love that!

I liked that too!

They gotta give this 9's!

This is the one to beat folks!

• Advertisement

Hmmm this for me is just a very typical architect new family home

If you get my drift...

Nice on the outside.

A creche on the inside.

While the bedroom is ikea-ish, I do think the country cottage feel of it suits the farmhouse.

This is not my type of house.

It's just a standard home with standard furniture......it's just a big house

Quazzie wrote: »
    Nice on the outside.

A creche on the inside.

You made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement