Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

A bit of this and a bit of that. I love looking at it, very intriguing but I wouldn't like to live there. I love my cosy symmetry too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oooh! Argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

That was funny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

How can this be home of the year when it appears to be only two rooms?

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of the company she started I'd probably love some of her pieces.

There was an article in the Irish Times today about her aprilandthebear.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

Just caught the end of the 1st part; they he say the bedrooms have no windows apart from the one at the top?

Any idea how they got that to comply with part B regulations which require escape windows in case of fire?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's a very cool house...when it is finished :pac:

The whole house could do with a lick of paint to be honest.

Not a fan of the "weathered" look at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

There was an article in the Irish Times today about her aprilandthebear.com

Thanks for that. Can't see how I didn't see that article earlier on the website will definitely read it tomorrow.

I really don't like that chimney house

• Advertisement

It's a lot of white in that bedroom

Grrrr too short in half hour :mad::mad::mad:

amdublin wrote: »
    I really don't like that chimney house

Did it score the lowest?

I think the right house went through. Making me think that I'd love to build my own house.

Did it score the lowest?

I'm not sure. Lowest or else tied with the other house.

I'm not sure. Lowest or else tied with the other house.

Lowest with 23. Scores were 23,24,25

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

atech wrote: »
    Just caught the end of the 1st part; they he say the bedrooms have no windows apart from the one at the top?

Any idea how they got that to comply with part B regulations which require escape windows in case of fire?

I would say there is instead a defined fire-rated exit route from the bedrooms out through the ground floor, avoiding the kitchen etc.

Did anyone else find it too short??

Did anyone else find it too short??

Way too short!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Am I on my own, talking to myself here :(

No. I was tuned in, half paying attention, then not logged in. Then cooking. I only go to see bits of it. One of the presenters complaining about the furniture, the cat on the chair.

I thought they were actual chimneys the way they looked from the outside. But they turned out to be skylights.

Were they comparing like with like? I didn't see enough of it to be sure....

• Advertisement

tampopo wrote: »

Were they comparing like with like? I didn't see enough of it to be sure....

Well they were comparing three homes and each giving their comments on it and then scoring it.

I enjoyed it. But I just wish it was longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

Baxtardo wrote: »
    I would say there is instead a defined fire-rated exit route from the bedrooms out through the ground floor, avoiding the kitchen etc.

Nope the staircase is completely open to the kitchen space.

Its up on RTE player now and at 1.38 you can see the view from kitchen to stairs/front door and at 8.58 you can see the opposite view and up the stairs.

There doesn't appear to be a smoke detector in sight either which is even more worrying.

I'm being a bit pedantic obviously as this is more of an interior show but for an architect design house (for your own parents never the less) that's a bit crazy if I'm correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Just watched it on the player. Thought it was awful, didn't like it at all.

Way too short, didn't like the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OK, watching back a bit late, haven't read any comments yet so I have no idea what the tone of this thread is - hope I'm not way out of sync :D

The three presenters are annoying me already - they're so UP themselves.

First house - a bit meh, definitely a house of two parts, upstairs and downstairs. That jetty was a nice idea but really, the nicest spot in the whole house? Really? And awful exterior.

Second house - jaysus, a bit brutalist on the outside! It's a bit echoey..... No windows in the bedrooms? :eek:

Third house - ah, lads, tell us where it is in Dublin! Dunno about that intentionally retro designer oldy worldy feel. They hit the nail on the head - super cool. Painfully super cool. I absolutely love the house, hate the interior. Contrived is right. Aw jeez, bare stairs???

Yeah, winner was the least worst one in fairness (although I'd kill to live in any of them, except maybe the last one).

Hmmm..... not sure I'll last the pace with this series, although no doubt I'll get sucked in if only because of this thread!

Right, now to see what everyone else thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    OK, watching back a bit late, haven't read any comments yet so I have no idea what the tone of this thread is - hope I'm not way out of sync :D

The three presenters are annoying me already - they're so UP themselves.

First house - a bit meh, definitely a house of two parts, upstairs and downstairs. That jetty was a nice idea but really, the nicest spot in the whole house? Really? And awful exterior.

Second house - jaysus, a bit brutalist on the outside! It's a bit echoey..... No windows in the bedrooms? :eek:

Third house - ah, lads, tell us where it is in Dublin! Dunno about that intentionally retro designer oldy worldy feel. They hit the nail on the head - super cool. Painfully super cool. I absolutely love the house, hate the interior. Contrived is right. Aw jeez, bare stairs???

Yeah, winner was the least worst one in fairness (although I'd kill to live in any of them, except maybe the last one).

Hmmm..... not sure I'll last the pace with this series, although no doubt I'll get sucked in if only because of this thread!

Right, now to see what everyone else thought :D

Agree about the presenters.

Presume the second house had no windows upstairs due to planning possibly. It was built in place of their bungalow.

It's a complete take on a Ch4 show that was on a few years ago. The name escapes me at the moment but the format and scoring are the same. I thought it should have been an hour long. The best is yet to come I feel.

It's a complete take on a Ch4 show that was on a few years ago. The name escapes me at the moment but the format and scoring are the same. I thought it should have been an hour long. The best is yet to come I feel.

Oh it's exactly the same. I think that was house of the year or home if the year as well. They also had a very similar food program where three experts went off and to different hotels and restaurants around the world to find best dessert, main and starter etc.

I think their home of the year was an hour long. Just too short for me :-(

I don't mind the presenters although I think that independent article above is fairly spot on. I like the big guy with his scarf :) I think Declan is a cool fella and agreed with him mostly. Something about Helen irks me a bit...

But I do like the format of "experts" giving their views.

Hoping for even more "WOW" and "different " houses. Although I didn't like the one different (chimneys) house last night!

• HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Lol at "painfully super cool" - couldn't agree more - although the young couple seemed nice, at the same time.

I definitely preferred the second house - the most comfortable in it's skin - not even a hint of pretention. I even liked their old couch.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.

• Advertisement

Enjoyed this programme but thought it was ridiculously short.

It is based on a Danish/Scandinavian(?) show but I wonder was their's an hour long.

Still thinking about the couch in the second house - what a monstrosity. Should have been thrown in a skip 20 years ago. Wouldn't suit any house let alone that one.

Advertisement