Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Something missing from the show. How can you be a contender for 'home' of the year when they only show 2/3 rooms. No real context on the design side of the home/fitting into the landscape etc. Is it an interior design or a house design show? Judges guessing about constrains on budget etc. It's like they are trying to guess who lives there instead of judging their design taste or whatever it is they are supposed to be judging. Would be better to have home owners there and take the mystery out of it. Let them explain their house, features and how they live in it.
    All very mishmash. It's more 'through the keyhole' than 'Room to Improve'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

JuniorB wrote: »
    Something missing from the show. How can you be a contender for 'home' of the year when they only show 2/3 rooms. No real context on the design side of the home/fitting into the landscape etc. Is it an interior design or a house design show? Judges guessing about constrains on budget etc. It's like they are trying to guess who lives there instead of judging their design taste or whatever it is they are supposed to be judging. Would be better to have home owners there and take the mystery out of it. Let them explain their house, features and how they live in it.
    All very mishmash. It's more 'through the keyhole' than 'Room to Improve'.

I don't think it is trying to be Room to Improve.

Have to agree with some points - we definitely need to see more rooms. If it was an hour long they could do this.

I'd also like to see more of the homeowners actually living in the home.

I'm happy enough with the judges and the amount we see of them. The two lads are grand, Declan seems the most measured, and hopefully Helen will calm down a bit as the series goes one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think it is a good idea for a show, I just think it needs a bit of fine tuning. Agreed it should be an hour long, it should show more rooms in the house, I don't think I seen one bathroom. I think more should be shown of the houses.
    I actually don't like the marking system, just mark out of ten if they like the house. There should be more parameters to judge the house by: eg use of space, use of light, suitability for the occupants, etc.

I liked the first house the best, it had that lived in look, it looked like a home which is fully utilised rather than just a house. The second house I didn't like, the house was too dark outside, completely different to inside and I felt the house didn't match the occupants. The last house all we really seen was the living area!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Just caught the last two minutes of the repeat.

Repeated on Sundays at 5.25 on rte one for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I only got around to reading Thursday's IT today...... this was in the property section

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/20-skips-three-bedsits-and-one-determined-couple-1.2151250

The home office is (or will be) the master bedroom, they're still sleeping in an old bedsit (wonder why they didn't show that, eh?) and the garden is still a building site.

Why on earth would you enter (or, indeed, have accepted) what is clearly still a very unfinished work in progress? confused.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Still in the bedsit wow!

Well to be fair I think the judges mentioned "unfinished" a good bit. But some of them tried to make it out as if "unfinished" was the concept :D

I think the right house won through out of those three.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I only got around to reading Thursday's IT today...... this was in the property section

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/20-skips-three-bedsits-and-one-determined-couple-1.2151250

The home office is (or will be) the master bedroom, they're still sleeping in an old bedsit (wonder why they didn't show that, eh?) and the garden is still a building site.

Why on earth would you enter (or, indeed, have accepted) what is clearly still a very unfinished work in progress? confused.png
    amdublin wrote: »
    Still in the bedsit wow!

Well to be fair I think the judges mentioned "unfinished" a good bit. But some of them tried to make it out as if "unfinished" was the concept :D

I think the right house won through out of those three.

Personally I thought the right house won.

I thought that the above house was like a display showroom for all of the stuff she is selling.

Who's around for this?

It's Cork tonight

I like all the colour

• Advertisement

I don't know how to describe this but to say:
    That's a lot of white. And it's also a lot of colour.

I am not sure about it.

Wow what a location.

Nice from the outside... works well in the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That living area is really nice. The gallery and the light is superb.

It's very cool. But a bit mental for me!

This is really nice!

I like the dark (dirty) grout :o

It DOES seem like a shop!

Cool little space in that nook.

I like the bedroom :)

Am I talking to myself again :(

I think there are too many "pieces".

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Am I talking to myself again :(

Nope, we're all listening. I really like this house. A bit cluttered but it carries it for the most part.

WOW!

I think I am going to like this one

This is an amazing home!

I think this house is brave

Do I sound like one of the judges :pac:

Incredible

I don't like the wood tapering in to the window on the outside.

It's fab.

To be critical I would say I don't like the metal bars in the bookshelves

I love this house

Ah those hidden doors are brilliant!

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    I don't like the wood tapering in to the window on the outside.

I love that!

Advertisement