Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

[OUTUBE]M0sAVtOt2wA[/YOUTUBE]

Sums up my view of them perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/04/politics/ben-carson-prisons-gay-choice/

Washington (CNN)Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson apologized for commenting Wednesday that prisoners' changes after they leave jail proves being gay is a choice, but said that the science is still murky on the issue.

And then, in a radio appearance later Wednesday, he criticized CNN for airing the comments he'd made in an interview and said he won't be addressing gay rights issues for the duration of his presidential campaign.

Carson had asserted Wednesday morning on CNN's "New Day" that homosexuality is a choice because people "go into prison straight -- and when they come out, they're gay."

He backtracked in a statement afterward, saying he "realized that my choice of language does not reflect fully my heart on gay issues."

"I do not pretend to know how every individual came to their sexual orientation. I regret that my words to express that concept were hurtful and divisive. For that I apologize unreservedly to all that were offended," he added.

Carson referenced his medical education and his work at Johns Hopkins Hospital and asserted that the verdict is still out on whether people are born either gay or straight.

"Some of our brightest minds have looked at this debate, and up until this point there have been no definitive studies that people are born into a specific sexuality," he said.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

silverharp wrote: »

The "neurosurgeon Ben Carson" may be very dexterous and a good problem solver for matters pertaining to the nervous system, but he clearly has no imagination.

In my imagination it isn't too much of a stretch to think that, were I incarcerated for over 6 months among women much, much tougher than myself, I would be clever enough and horny enough to put myself up for a bit of light relief with the alpha female.

But then, being an atheist, I have no morals :pac:;). Plenty of smarts though, and few assumptions (even about myself).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Shrap wrote: »
    The "neurosurgeon Ben Carson" may be very dexterous and a good problem solver for matters pertaining to the nervous system, but he clearly has no imagination.
    The New Yorker looks into Ben Carson and finds that he's the latest in a long, long line of the predictably stupid selling the paranoid to the dumb:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/ben-carson-paranoid

Elsewhere, HuffPo investigates the appeal of UKIP to a similar voting public:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jon-young/ukip-nigel-farage_b_6824018.html

Son of a Cuban immigrant and born in Canada -- anybody remember the republican-promoted birther controversy? -- Republican wingnut, Tea Partier, and all-round fruitcake, Ted Cruz becomes the first to declare a candidacy for next year's Presidential election next year in the USA:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/22/us-republican-ted-cruz-to-announce-presidential-run

Meanwhile, his Cuban father who's a fundamentalist preacher, and in no way "ruled by his instincts", suggests that atheists and secular humanists should be rounded up into camps and shot if they escape:

http://www.newslo.com/ted-cruzs-father-suggests-placing-atheists-in-camps/
    newslo wrote:
    Rafael Cruz, father of Texas Senator and Tea-Party favorite Ted Cruz, spoke recently against atheism and secular humanism at a gathering of an Oklahoma Second Amendment advocacy group. He claimed that the belief systems are two of the main ills facing our society, that they lead to sexual perversion, sexual abuse, and the complete loss of hope, and that people following these two views should be rounded up and placed in special ‘camps’ to keep them separated from the rest of America.

“If there is no God, then we are ruled by our instincts,” he said. “Of course, this leads us, when there are no moral absolutes, leads us to sexual immorality, leads us to sexual abuse, leads us to perversion and, of course, no hope. No hope!”

In the past, Cruz, an evangelical preacher and avowed creationist, has claimed that God endorses the Death Penalty, that evolution is a communist trick aimed at converting people to atheism, that legalizing gay marriage will lead to preachers being arrested for hate speech just for reading the Bible, and that President Obama is a tyrant who needs to go back to Kenya. This is, however, the first time he’s laid out his plan on how to save mankind from secular humanism.

See Also: Cruz: “I’m Ok With Gay Marriage, As Long As It’s Between A Gay And A Lesbian”

He warned that atheists are in danger of corrupting the youth of America and called for action before America was overrun. His solution to what he termed ‘the problem of the Godless’ is the creation of a series of ‘Heathen Zones’- fenced-in camps located mostly in Northern California and Vermont.

“It’s a free country,” he said. “If these people need to practice their holy rites of atheism, they can do so, as long as they are in clearly-marked encampments far away from the rest of us. While they’re in their Heathen Zones, they’re free to dance naked around the fire, brand the mark of the Devil on their flesh or whatever else they want to do,” he added. “Of course, if they step one foot outside the electrified fence we shoot them between the eyes. Two or three times, just to be sure.”

He also argued that any children spawned in these camps would be removed at birth so they would not be drawn into secular humanism via their birth-mother’s tainted breast milk.

• Advertisement

Thread renamed now that the presidential season is now formally open again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    Thread renamed now that the presidential season is now formally open again.

Shouldn't we wait until atleast when the fruitcake stalls in the UK are closed down on 8th May next. Surely there's still some Kipper fruitiness to be mined still?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

they’re free to dance naked around the fire, brand the mark of the Devil on their flesh or whatever else they want to do

That's it, I can't be an atheist anymore. Nobody should have to see me dance. Or see me naked, for that matter. And the 'branding on the flesh' bit wasn't in the brochure either (all they had was a photo of Christopher Hitchens hugging a wabbit).

Sad growls.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ted Cruz is frightening little girls now.

Via http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/
    "The whole world is on fire."
    -- Sen. Ted Cruz, during a stump speech in New Hampshire

"The world is on fire?"
    -- Three-year-old Julie Trant, sitting on her mother's lap

"The world is on fire, yes. Your world is on fire."
    -- Cruz

Life ain't always empty.

Mr Cruz, one need hardly add is a climate-change denier, but one who manages to reconcile this with his position as chair of the Senate Space, Science, and Competitiveness Subcommittee, received a lesson in basic science last week from the head of NASA. Mr Cruz appears to wish to stop any space-based observation of Earth:

http://secondnexus.com/ecology-and-sustainability/nasa-lesson-science/

• Advertisement

Even Faux News is getting in on the Ted Cruz bash along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

robindch wrote: »
    Mr Cruz, one need hardly add is a climate-change denier, but one who manages to reconcile this with his position as chair of the Senate Space, Science, and Competitiveness Subcommittee, received a lesson in basic science last week from the head of NASA. Mr Cruz appears to wish to stop any space-based observation of Earth:

http://secondnexus.com/ecology-and-sustainability/nasa-lesson-science/

Worried they're takin Gods job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Republican and all round religious nutcase says Transgender people are Driven By A Demonic 'Predatory Spirit Of Sexual Exploitation'

It would be comical if this lunatic wasn't state legislator of Colorado

Links234 wrote: »
    Republican and all round religious nutcase says Transgender people are Driven By A Demonic 'Predatory Spirit Of Sexual Exploitation'

It would be comical if this lunatic wasn't state legislator of Colorado

It's really hard to see how we got from the incident in paragraph A....

"Like other Religious Right activists, Gordon Klingenschmitt is outraged that a Planet Fitness franchise in Michigan revoked the membership of a customer who wouldn't stop complaining after a transgender woman hung up her coat and purse in the women’s locker room and so he is now calling for a national boycott of the fitness chain."

.....to the scenario proposed in paragraph B

"On his "Pray In Jesus Name" program today, the Colorado Republican state legislator said that "there is a demonic spirit of lying" inside of transgender people, whom he said are "parading their parts" in front of small children because they are driven by "a predatory spirit of sexual exploitation."
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/klingenschmitt-transgender-people-are-driven-demonic-predatory-spirit-sexual-exploitation

Doubtless Mr Klingenshitt has put the usual logic into use and decided to scream "Paedos!!!!" as an answer to every question.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nodin wrote: »
    Mr Klingenshitt

I see what you did there, and I approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Not sure what this guys political leanings are, though I am guessing not democrat. Not sure what his political aspirations are, but he looks like a shoe in.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Sodomite Supression Act.

MrP

Nodin wrote: »
    It's really hard to see how we got from the incident in paragraph A....

.....to the scenario proposed in paragraph B

Doubtless Mr Klingenshitt has put the usual logic into use and decided to scream "Paedos!!!!" as an answer to every question.

The logic is kinda simple to follow when you consider that the right-wing religious nutcases tactics in response to trans people is to scaremonger about potential rapists/paedophiles. Much like when the same people bring up similar comparisons in same sex marriage debates, I'm sure we've all heard the one that goes "If you allow two men to get married, a couple of paedos will marry each other so they can adopt a child and take turns buggering them!"?

Flinginschitt takes it a whole step further and rather than scaremonger that people will take advantage of new laws etc, he just goes ahead and assumes that all trans people really are rapists/paedophiles. It comes down to a basic lack of empathy I think, if you can't see trans people as human beings and really are who they say they are, then you start thinking of other reasons why a person would transition and I guess some will assume trans people are all perverts then. I think it says more about him than it does about us. :)

Oh, and as an aside, I'm always amused that he also goes by the nickname Dr. Chaps. That's always worth a giggle.

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »

Oh, and as an aside, I'm always amused that he also goes by the nickname Dr. Chaps. That's always worth a giggle.

He's no Dave Lee Roth for sure.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Not sure what this guys political leanings are, though I am guessing not democrat. Not sure what his political aspirations are, but he looks like a shoe in.

MrP

Now there's a charmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Mike is not the full shilling.

A vote for him is not a vote for change.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

MrP

WTF?! Do they not have some incitement to hatred laws that can stop this guy from advocating "death to gays"?? Some of these people are making Putin look like a bit of a light weight, and that's saying something. The US and Russia have much more in common than you might think at this stage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He's probably kicking himself that there's no Christian equivalent to IS.

...well, at least on his side of the Atlantic.

WTF?! Do they not have some incitement to hatred laws that can stop this guy from advocating "death to gays"?? Some of these people are making Putin look like a bit of a light weight, and that's saying something. The US and Russia have much more in common than you might think at this stage :mad:
    Presumably he is protected because it is his genuinely held, religiously motivated, bible inspired belief.

There is a petition running to have him disbarred.

MrP

We could have an entire thread dedicated to the sheer insanity that Gordon Klingenschmitt regularly spouts, recently there was a horrific case where a pregnant woman was attacked and the child was cut out of her, he said that this was god's curse on America for abortion. ****ing hell. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He shouldn't be stopped. The more (non fanatic) people get exposed to this sort of lunacy, the faster religion loses it's grip on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Presumably he is protected because it is his genuinely held, religiously motivated, bible inspired belief.
    Nope, he's protected because (a) Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, and (b) the California Constitution gives citizens the right to bring forward ballot proposals. The Courts may squash the proposal if it's repugnant to the Constitution, but you can't be sanctioned for bringing it forward.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Nope, he's protected because (a) Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, and (b) the California Constitution gives citizens the right to bring forward ballot proposals. The Courts may squash the proposal if it's repugnant to the Constitution, but you can't be sanctioned for bringing it forward.
    Yeah, and all that stuff too. :D

MrP

Advertisement