Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

^^^

Who is this 'Tolkin' chap they're quoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It looks like Todd Akin has been upstaged, as a (of course he's a Republican) member of the West Virginia state legislature claims that childbirth arising from rape is "beautiful".

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

It looks like Todd Akin has been upstaged, as a (of course he's a Republican) member of the West Virginia state legislature claims that childbirth arising from rape is "beautiful".

you also had this during the week....
    Utah is currently considering a measure that would clarify the definition of consent to tighten legal protections for people who are assaulted while unconscious or otherwise incapacitated. “This is something that’s been a long time coming,” state Rep. Angela Romero, a Democrat from Salt Lake City who is also the sponsor of the bill, told the Salt Lake Tribune. “At the end of the day, if someone’s unconscious or they’re a vulnerable adult, then the logical answer is: Don’t try to have a sexual relationship with them.”

But state Rep. Brian Greene, a Republican from Pleasant Grove, isn’t so sure it’s that simple. During a debate on the measure, Greene offered the following hypothetical:
    It looks to me now like sex with an unconscious person is, by definition, rape. I hope this wouldn’t happen, but this opens the door to it: an individual has sex with their wife while she is unconscious — or he, the only other way around, if that’s possible, I don’t know. But a prosecutor could then charge that spouse with rape.

Rape is non-consensual sex, why should a married couple be exempted from the law?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bobby Jindal is the Republican governor of Louisiana. Jindal's parents are both immigrants from India, not that you'd guess it from his latest official portrait:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/02/03/notice-anything-odd-about-the-portrait-of-louisiana-governor-bobby-jindal-hanging-up-in-his-office/

338052.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the scottish dont seem to have a no MP left behind scheme

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/analysis/307718-snp-msp-john-mason-wants-to-see-creationism-in-schools-no-really/
    John Mason, who represents Glasgow Shettleston in the Scottish Parliament, has lodged a motion at Holyrood calling for creationism to have a place in schools.

The motion was placed on Friday and reads in its entirety: "That the Parliament notes that South Lanarkshire Council has issued guidance concerning the appointment and input of chaplains and religious organisations in schools; understands that some people believe that God created the world in six days, some people believe that God created the world over a longer period of time and some people believe that the world came about without anyone creating it; considers that none of these positions can be proved or disproved by science and all are valid beliefs for people to hold, and further considers that children in Scotland’s schools should be aware of all of these different belief systems."

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

robindch wrote: »
    Bobby Jindal is the Republican governor of Louisiana. Jindal's parents are both immigrants from India, not that you'd guess it from his latest official portrait:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/02/03/notice-anything-odd-about-the-portrait-of-louisiana-governor-bobby-jindal-hanging-up-in-his-office/

338052.png

Epic fail in truth here. Actually that was not his official portrait at all.
    http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/02/09/bobby-jindal-portrait-white-race/

B89W2DUIQAEdTg4.jpg:large
    “You mean I’m not white?” Jindal said Monday at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast for reporters. “I’m shocked at this revelation. The left is obsessed with race.”

A liberal blogger in Louisiana last week tweeted what he said was the “official portrait” of Jindal hanging at the state Capitol in Baton Rouge. That photo was widely circulated on Twitter.

Jindal’s chief of staff, Kyle Plotkin, tweeted a picture of the Republican governor’s real official portrait, saying the other was loaned by a constitutent. He also thanked the blogger, Lamar White Jr., for his “race-baiting tweet.”

Jindal, who is considering running for president, said he believes the flap over the portrait is “silly” and highlights what he believes is a liberal obsession.

“I think the left is obsessed with race,” said Jindal, whose parents are from India. “The dumbest thing we can do is try to divide people by the color of their skin. … The left is devoid of ideas and this is, unfortunately, what they’ve resorted to — name calling, attacking, dividing people by the color of their skin. This is nonsense. We’re all Americans.”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's like Upsy Daisy all over again.
    BBC bosses have been forced to apologise after “whiting up” a character from In The Night Garden.

338756.jpg

338757.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jank wrote: »

338758.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Real Bobby Jindal portrait

It's a little darker, but he doesn't really look Indian in the real official portrait either. This seems to the photo the real portrait is based on:
    official_headshot_of_gov-_bobby_jindal_.jpg
    He is pretty light skinned in the photo (big bright light directly in his face), his skin is not nearly that pale in any of the other pictures that appear in a google image search of the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I note that you fail to point out that Jindal in his official portrait is still signifcantly whiter, and incidentally has his facial features shaped to make him look more Caucasoid to boot, than in real life.

So, again you proceed to present an epic fail on your own account as a failure of others. Well done, jank.

• Advertisement

It's a little darker, but he doesn't really look Indian in the real official portrait either. This seems to the photo the real portrait is based on:

So, what are you trying to say. He is trying to hide the fact he is Indian? Perhaps he should change his last name then too.

Regarding the photo It could the flash itself and anyone who knows anything about ISO and the flash of camera will know that that it will whiten out a face. I suppose they should have gotten a PC approved indian flash..:roll eyes: or photoshopped it to make it darker so the precious princess race baiters here and elsewhere don't feel so offended about a stupid picture of some dude on the other side of the world they have never met..!!

Seriously though are we really going to start a discussion on the how red/brown the guys portrait is? Scraping the bottom of a barrel if you ask me. Perhaps you should read Bobby Jindals comments on this incident, the more people go on about it, the more he is right IMO.

I note that you fail to point out that Jindal in his official portrait is still signifcantly whiter, and incidentally has his facial features shaped to make him look more Caucasoid to boot, than in real life.

So, again you proceed to present an epic fail on your own account as a failure of others. Well done, jank.

Not at all, the original photo that was posted was factually not his official portrait as was initially claimed by Robin. Pointing this out means we know now what the official portrait is. Truth wins out does it not. I thought Atheists like truth :(

So, what are you trying to say. He is trying to hide the fact he is Indian? Perhaps he should change his last name then too.

I am saying what I said, the official portrait is a lot paler than the man is in real life. Kind of puts me in the mind of how the standard image of Jesus in the west is also a lot paler than Jesus would have been in real life.
    Regarding the photo It could the flash itself and anyone who knows anything about ISO and the flash of camera will know that that it will whiten out a face.

The flash is so strong that there is lens flair coming off of the guys teeth. I notice that the google image search I linked to earlier contains a lot of portrait photos that manage to avoid any flash issues.
    so the precious princess race baiters here

I see this is going to be a thoughtful and mature debate :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Jindal is Indian. There is no secret, no embarrassment, no reticence about it. He himself frequently calls attention to his heritage and his experiences as an immigrant to the US. His wife, Supriya, is also Indian - born in New Delhi - and their eldest son is Shaan. This is not a family who are trying to pass as WASPs.

Both the portraits shown in this thread look pretty poor to me. I think there are questions to be asked about whether the taxpayers of Louisiana have got value for the money paid to the artist. If Jindal had any say in composing or approving the portraits - and of course he may not have - I think there are questions to be asked about his artistic judgment.

But attempts to parlay this into a suggestion that Jindal is in denial about his ethnicity are just silly. If that's the implication it's not the (very conservative) Jindal who is being half-baked on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Sorry to phone users for huge photos, couldn't make smaller. The only thing the artist did that used his/her artistic license in this portrait was make Jindal's ears charitably smaller (by a touch. 10mm in real life at most), his chin a little rounder, and tbh, that's a pretty common thing to do in portraiture. Most artists will downplay the outstanding features a small bit. Not good, but it happens. However, the artist got the colour from the photo a bit darker if anything, and the skin tones show considerable skill.

Peregrinus, you're right to an extent with this
    I think there are questions to be asked about whether the taxpayers of Louisiana have got value for the money paid to the artist. If Jindal had any say in composing or approving the portraits - and of course he may not have - I think there are questions to be asked about his artistic judgment.
    Whoever picked that photo did not predict a backlash over his colour in the photo compared to a less lit, more true to life one. Can't imagine it was the artist picking the photo personally. Jindal is probably (was probably) very proud of that photo due to his nice composed smile. Somebody overlooked his colour (which is pertinent, I think).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was unaware of Jindal until he gave an interview about 'no-go' areas. Was he able to identify any when asked by the journalist? Of course not.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    But attempts to parlay this into a suggestion that Jindal is in denial about his ethnicity are just silly.

:confused: That's presumably why nobody made that suggestion then.

Humble apologies and many thanks for taking the time out to research this issue as you have.

You are quite correct to point out that the "white" picture of Jindal isn't his "latest official portrait" as I'd said in the original post. Instead I should have referred to it as a "completely unofficial portrait hanging in the governor's office, no doubt much to his total bewilderment".

His "official portrait", as the article I linked to makes clear, is the one where his skin is significantly more well tanned than it appears in the "unofficial portrait", probably just a few feet away.

I'm sure Jindal has an excellent explanation for why he's painted as a white guy (though I haven't been able to to find it) And why it's hanging up in his office? Or indeed, why does he have two pictures of himself hanging up in his office in the first place? Is he planning to go all Michael Jackson on us?

I see this is going to be a thoughtful and mature debate :rolleyes:.

Thoughtful and mature debate on what actually? The tonal range of a fecking portrait?

Next week, Bobby Jindal office apologies for the fact his office ran out of black biros. This was not done as a deliberate affront to the african american electorate of Louisiana nor indeed that he wanted to down-play his own blackness. Office manager has been fired and steps have been put in place to never ever ever run out of black biros again.

The tonal range of a fecking portrait?
    In the context of a right-wing political candidate from a racial group not traditionally associated with right-wingers in the USA, the "tonal range of a fecking portrait" is worthy of comment.

• Advertisement

Thoughtful and mature debate on what actually? The tonal range of a fecking portrait?

Next week, Bobby Jindal office apologies for the fact his office ran out of black biros. This was not done as a deliberate affront to the african american electorate of Louisiana nor indeed that he wanted to down-play his own blackness. Office manager has been fired and steps have been put in place to never ever ever run out of black biros again.

When you have no comeback for a post, it's probably better to just stay quiet, rather than remind everyone of the problems with your tonal range.

In other words:
    chief-wiggum-300x225.png

In the context of a right-wing political candidate from a racial group not traditionally associated with right-wingers in the USA, the "tonal range of a fecking portrait" is worthy of comment.

Proving Jindal's point there me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, the FCC has decided to class broadband as a public utility, prompting much bitching from the right. Among them is Mark Cuban, worth about $3bn who has this to say to right-wing blog Breitbart.com:
    Dallas Mavericks owner and investor Mark Cuban predicted that proposed FCC Internet regulations will end up impacting TV and “your TV as you know it is over” on Thursday’s “Squawk Alley” on CNBC.

Cuban began by predicting “the courts will rule the Internet for the next however many years.” He then explained, “let’s just take it all the way through its logical conclusion. All bits are bits, all bits are equal. If all bits are equal, then let’s look at what a stream bit is an example. So when Henry and I do an interview, and it’s streamed lived on the Internet, there’s a camera, it goes through an encoder, it sends it out via server or some manner to the Internet, you click on Business Insider and you watch the stream, right? Now, let’s look at CNBC on Comcast. There’s cameras right in front of you, they go through a switcher, they go through an encoder, it’s put through a server, it goes to Comcast, and it’s streamed in a managed service environment to television. It’s the exact same thing. And if it’s the exact same thing technologically and all bits are equal, then why shouldn’t CNBC and all TV networks that are delivered on cable, and Telco, and fiber like Verizon, why shouldn’t they be part of the open Internet as well? And if they are and all bits are equal, now, let’s take it one step further. It’s the purview of the FCC now. The FCC, right? So, the FCC now has to apply their same standards to content, don’t they, that they do to television content because that’s where it is and there’s going to be certain citizens who think ‘well now, since all content is delivered over the Internet because all bits are bits, and it’s a fair, and open, and equal Internet — decency standards.’ And remember the FCC is the same agency that fought Nipplegate for eight years over a wardrobe malfunction.”

He added, “your TV as you know it is over.”

Cuban further said that due to court and regulatory battles that will ensue if the proposed regulations are adopted, innovation online will be halted, declaring “if you love the Internet the way you know it today, this is what you’re going to have for a long time. But, if you’re like me, and you think the best is yet to come, then you don’t the FCC involved because of all the uncertainty.”

Cuban also commented on the transparency regarding of the FCC’s regulation process, sarcastically remarking “lots of transparency, right? Yeah, Lots of transparency.” And “that’s the FCC, that’s the Department of Internet that we’re going to get, no transparency.”

Excuse me while I go find a sad violin clip on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, the FCC has decided to class broadband as a public utility, prompting much bitching from the right. Among them is Mark Cuban, worth about $3bn who has this to say to right-wing blog Breitbart.com:

Ah Breitbart! They make the Daily Mail look positively ethical in comparison!

This was doing the rounds on twitter from American friends:

B-y3PxJVEAA-I2u.jpg:large

If they posted an article about how water is wet, I'd still look for another source :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I just roll my eyes every time I see companies like verizon and comcast express concern over the poor customers that will suffer. The very same customers which are fed up with their ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Phil Robertson (Expert on ducks) talks STDs at CPAC.
    Duck Dynasty television star Phil Robertson told the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Friday that 110 million Americans were infected with sexually transmitted diseases and that it was “the revenge of the hippies.”“In case one of you gets to be president of the United States, make sure you carry your Bible and your woman,” the reality star advised. “I’m just saying, safety. Safety.”

Philip decided to dress as a member of IS, carrying a gun and holy book as part of his ensemble. His tongue-in-cheek routine got a few laughs from the elderly crowd, who possess neither the eyesight nor hearing to understand what was really going on.

"My eyes and ears are knackered" said one frail octogenarian, who, despite her weak appearance still held some pretty harsh views on race and sexuality. "But I clap anyway." "And there doesn't seem to be any queers, ****, spicks, wops or chinks in here, which is the way it should be", she rambled on. She then said something about Jesus but we had begun moving away at that stage.

One Republican, who wishes not to be named admitted: "For us in the GOP, the election cannot come quick enough. Our voters aren't getting any younger. I don't mean to sound cold but they're dropping like flies."

338052.png

That's probably as amazing as that Jesus painting.

ht_spanish_painting_jesus_badly_restored_thg_120822_wblog.jpg

He is pretty light skinned in the photo (big bright light directly in his face), his skin is not nearly that pale in any of the other pictures that appear in a google image search of the guy.

Slightly lighter than this:

Jindal.jpg

Regarding the photo It could the flash itself and anyone who knows anything about ISO and the flash of camera will know that that it will whiten out a face. I suppose they should have gotten a PC approved indian flash..:roll eyes: or photoshopped it to make it darker so the precious princess race baiters here and elsewhere don't feel so offended about a stupid picture of some dude on the other side of the world they have never met..!!

Seriously though are we really going to start a discussion on the how red/brown the guys portrait is? Scraping the bottom of a barrel if you ask me. Perhaps you should read Bobby Jindals comments on this incident, the more people go on about it, the more he is right IMO.

You have to be extracting the urine. You're taking the Michael. Even by your standards.

Do tell us more about ISO flash, and while you're at it, do a simple Google image search of Mr Jindal. Then look at the painting again, and this time use your eyes to look at it, not your chin.

• Advertisement

I just roll my eyes every time I see companies like verizon and comcast express concern over the poor customers that will suffer. The very same customers which are fed up with their ****.

Advertisement