Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

why not rename the thread to Conservative/Right-Wing Fruitcakes (as I was as equally confused as jank as to how Mockton was a republican fruitcake)?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

hmm... this any better?

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

robindch wrote: »
    hmm... this any better?
    now I've a hankering for scones :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

SW wrote: »
    now I've a hankering for scones :pac:

Great idea. Baking some now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Well, firstly, he's a member of UKIP which is, broadly, the UK equivalent of the US Tea Party. Secondly, he's a particularly outrageous climate change denier for a start. And thirdly, his dishonest claim to be a member of the House of Lords has been rejected publicly by the House of Lords.

I know the thread has changed name since this post, but fourthly, he's a darling of the teahadists and gives speeches to their astroturf genuine ordinary American folk groups, as noted here (warning teahadist site, many lies), here, here (nother teahadist site), and yerra feck it ye can all be creating ye're own linkies from here on out (link to duck duck go search).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well, firstly, he's a member of UKIP which is, broadly, the UK equivalent of the US Tea Party. Secondly, he's a particularly outrageous climate change denier for a start. And thirdly, his dishonest claim to be a member of the House of Lords has been rejected publicly by the House of Lords.

All of these facts suggest that Monckton may have a troubled relationship with the truth - something he would also share with many Republican fruitcakes too.

Finally, one or two posters suggested that this thread was unduly narrow in focussing on conservative fruitcakes in the US and that the remit should be expanded to cover fruitcakes in other polities. Hence the appearance of Monckton and others here.

I hope this answers your question.

A) Is your imposition that only the right have issues with the truth and by that token the left are bastions of truth and enlightenment? please!

B) Where are these 'suggestions'?

jank wrote: »
    A) Is your imposition that only the right have issues with the truth and by that token the left are bastions of truth and enlightenment?
    Uh, no, that's not my "imposition" :confused:
    B) Where are these 'suggestions'?
    Back in the fossil record somewhere - feel free to take a look in your own time.

in the fossil record somewhere - feel free to take a look in your own time.

Well, I am calling you up for it as I cannot remember seeing this request. Feel free to have a look yourself and post up the actual posts.

Well, I am calling you up for it as I cannot remember seeing this request.
    FYI, in addition to the 1,400 posts in this thread, posters also communicate with moderators by the "report a post" mechanism and PM - both of which are private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Well, I am calling you up for it as I cannot remember seeing this request. Feel free to have a look yourself and post up the actual posts.

In the spirit of the the other forum, maybe you you should prove it's not there first. :):)

• Advertisement

FYI, in addition to the 1,400 posts in this thread, posters also communicate with moderators by the "report a post" mechanism and PM - both of which are private.

Hmmm, Sounds like a high preist talking to a skeptic. "The lord moves through me alone, son" lol

Well according to Nigel Farage anyways.

The facts that a) the UK has had a long standing problem with traffic congestion, due to i) badly planned roads, and ii) an overreliance on road transport for personal and goods transit, and b) that Farrage is a notorious drunk whose sense of timing makes that of your average GAA referee going to a Junior B football club league match in Kilkenny look good are conveniently ignored.

As my brother told me on his recent trip home from Wales, when you ask a Kipper what their solution to any of the country's problems they come up with the line "Immigrants out!" fairly promptly, even after it is pointed out that such a line will give no solution to the problem at hand (e.g. the chronic shortage of trained nurses in many NHS hospitals, due to cutbacks both in hospital budgets and nurse training schools).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't like him. However, that smacks of being part Farage muppetry, part media clickbait. He knows it's a daft statement to make and that'll get picked up. UKIP, rabble, etc. Last week the UK government announced a new roads infrastructure plan, so it's a little bit of a pop at Cameron on that front as well - probably just Farage covering his arse as he doesn't have any roads policy of his own. If in doubt, distract and hope people will look over there, politics 101.

I don't like him. However, that smacks of being part Farage muppetry, part media clickbait. He knows it's a daft statement to make and that'll get picked up. UKIP, rabble, etc. Last week the UK government announced a new roads infrastructure plan, so it's a little bit of a pop at Cameron on that front as well - probably just Farage covering his arse as he doesn't have any roads policy of his own. If in doubt, distract and hope people will look over there, politics 101.

It's not so much the daft statements he makes, I know full well that he knows he's saying stupid sh*t, its the fact that there are people out there idiotic enough to believe him, and to think he actually has a platform if he ever got even a sniff of power.

Farage is quite a clever man, he is simply evil and immoral enough to exploit the stupidity and gullibility of others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It does seem to be an area where his critics have failed. They've not really dented his image/leadership on matters of policy. Almost relentlessly dismissing his party as fruitcakes and the like appears to have had the reverse effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Nidge Forage is imo an opportunist who can exploit the racist sentiments of a certain part of the UK's population but put it across in a moderate and seemingly nonracist way that differs from the less moderate Nick Griffin. He is clever but his policies are not a solution and could lead to extremism. Forage may not be a total racist but is the stepping stone more extreme movements need imo.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It does seem to be an area where his critics have failed. They've not really dented his image/leadership on matters of policy. Almost relentlessly dismissing his party as fruitcakes and the like appears to have had the reverse effect.

That's the difficulty inherent in challenging someone whose sole principle is populism: if he's saying what people want to hear, then you can't criticise him without telling people things they don't want to hear.

The Guardian are obsessed with Farage and UKIP. They may as well be running a live blog on him such is the fascination. Much like the Sindo and Sinn Fein/IRA.

What people especially your usual Guardian reader will fail to realise is the actual discontent among ordinary working class people towards the mainstream parties. Do any party in the UK really represent working class English people any more? Labour certainly don't anyway and with Emily Thornbury's tweet lifting the veil on what Labour really think, then its no wonder that UKIP are so popular.

What most people fail to recognise is that this is a European wide phenomenon. Marie La Pen is leading the polls for being French president in 2017. Finn's first, Swedish Democrat's and so on. Did European leaders really think that you can create one labour market where there is a huge disparity between eastern and western countries in terms of social welfare benefits, quality of life and wages without any political repercussions? If so then they are more naive than I thought.

One could make the argument that UKIP are just a protest vote or just populist but that I believe is skirting the issue with people hoping that they will just go away when clearly at the moment they seem to be shaping the debate with both Labour and the Tories trying to reclaim lost ground. Indeed both made the mistake into thinking that this was just all a protest and normal service will resume in due course. There is more to this than meets the eyes and on the left the UK Greens are making good ground.

We see our own fragmentation of the center in Ireland but instead of UKIP we get the far left taking a lot of support with the indo's (none of the above?) mopping up support

That's because the other leaders are either so devoid of policies (Cameron) or too scared (Miliband) or too discredited (Clegg) to actually attack his party's absolute lack of polivies aside from nasty racism. Instead they've tried to out-racist him while pretending to be his opposite.

It also helps Farage that he is in the same ultra-rich, anti-tax, anti-regulation,oligarchic circles as most of the country's media moguls. He is their man, notnecessarily to lead the up next government but to put manners on Call me Dave. It wouldn't work if Labour wete actually left wing, but as I said Miliband is scared of his own shadow.

What do you mean by actual left wing? Labour are a typical tax and spend big government party. They nearly destroyed the UK economy and people rightly or wrongly blame them for the numbers of workers now competing for jobs. As I said Labour don't represent the common working class man anymore for all their talk and bluster.

• Advertisement

Time to change the thread title back again to Republican Presidential Fruitcakes? Here's a potential candidate comparing the USA to ISIS + Nazi Germany, ObamaCare to slavery and who's applauded some of Putin's policies. And he's a man of colour. On the edge of the Republican Party.

http://www.thejournal.ie/be-more-like-isis-says-1886027-Jan2015/
    EN CARSON, A rising star in the Republican Party, has told his colleagues to “be more like ISIS”. Carson, who says he will decide before May if he will run for the Presidency of the US, was speaking at the Republican National Committee winter meeting in San Diego. There, he praised American patriots for their willingness to give their lives for their beliefs. Then he mentioned the Islamic State group.

“They got the wrong philosophy, but they’re willing to die for what they believe, while we are busily giving away every belief and every value for the sake of political correctness,” he said as Republican officials from across the country interrupted him with applause. “We have to change that.”

A Republican National Committee spokesman had no immediate response when asked to comment on Carson’s remarks, which came as part of a 35-minute luncheon address. After the speech, Carson said it’s “ridiculous” to suggest he was likening American patriots to the Islamic State. Carson has previously likened the US government to Nazi Germany, saying they were trying to silence enemies.

In 2013 he called Obamacare “the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery,” adding that “it is slavery in a way because it is making all of us subservient to the government.” He is popular among conservatives in the States, but remains little known to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

“They got the wrong philosophy, but they’re willing to die for what they believe,

The sooner they all die for their belief, the better.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Ted Cruz’s Dad Fights Gay Rights in Texas
    Rafael Cruz, the fiery pastor and father of U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, is well known for his conservative and Christian bona fides, and now he has inserted himself into a local city council issue in Plano, Texas, claiming an anti-discrimination measure is an “attack on Judeo-Christian beliefs in America.”

Opponents of the ordinance say preventing discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is against their religious beliefs as Christians, and that being required to follow the new rules is an assault on their personal liberty.

Why can't the (holier than thou) Christians be allowed to discriminate, indiscriminately? It's just not fair! Next thing you know, keeping brown people as slaves will be frowned upon. Health and safety gone mad I tells ya.

The sooner Jesus returns in his spaceship to sort this mess out, the better. "Warp speed Saint Peter" - Jesus H Christ.

Btw, Cruz was born in Canada, to a Cuban father. That's presidential material right there. As we all know, nobody warms to immigrants like Republicans. Can't get enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Bill Maher's put together a handy guide to the current GOP hopefuls:

Ben Carson is a new name to me: after Bobby Jindal and Ted Cruz, it's only to be expected that candidate tokenism would be taken to the next level. Nevertheless, considering how important a factor race was in the 2008 election, I can understand why the GOP is ramping up the chase for the non-white vote.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

UKIP general secretary, Matthew Richardson, boasts: 'We're standing up for bigots'

Then claims he was only joking.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-general-secretary-matthew-richardson-5038845#ICID=sharebar_twitter
    The Mirror wrote:
    According to The Sunday Times, Mr Richardson told a meeting last month: "I've said before, people talk about Ukip being bigots.

"There are hundreds of thousands of bigots in the United Kingdom and they deserve representation."

The Republicans held a "Freedom Summit" in Iows during which various individuals crazy right-wingers appeared to take their first, hesitant, rambling steps towards the White House.

The results are not pretty. Here's John Stewart:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/jon-stewart-skewers-palins-iowa-speech-its-like-getting-cornered-by-her-at-an-open-bar-wedding/

And here's the video (the video from the page above has been removed):

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The Republicans held a "Freedom Summit" in Iows during which various individuals crazy right-wingers appeared to take their first, hesitant, rambling steps towards the White House.

The results are not pretty. Here's John Stewart:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/jon-stewart-skewers-palins-iowa-speech-its-like-getting-cornered-by-her-at-an-open-bar-wedding/

And here's the video (the video from the page above has been removed):

Sarah Palin. Just wow.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Sarah Palin. Just wow.
    Hope you're referring to the incoherence of her speech :)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-magazine-calls-gay-pride-5100416

Referring to an anti-gay rant from a group named "Christian Soldiers UKIP", a UKIP spokesman slams the rant as not being "of an acceptable standard to be associated with the UKIP brand."
    The Mirror wrote:
    A UKIP publication run by church-going followers has hit out at gay Pride’s “parade of depravity”. And the article said parents should be “bothered” about children having gay teachers. The rant was in a newsletter by Christian Soldiers UKIP, which claims to be “Fighting through Christ for deliverance from EU tyranny”.

Party leader Nigel Farage previously wrote in the magazine that supporters must “follow our consciences”. The piece, by a protestor at Manchester’s Pride last August, said a National Union of Teachers member told a protestor: “We teach your children.” It asked if Christians with children in state schools “are bothered by this”, adding: “Well they ought to be.”

Editor Elizabeth Ann Biddulph yesterday defended running the article last year. She said: “We are Christians and many Christians don’t believe that gay marriage is the right way to go, and that homosexuality is sinful.” But a UKIP spokesman said last night: “Authorised groups are not allowed to invent UKIP policy, and we do not consider that this leaflet is of an acceptable standard to be associated with the UKIP brand.”

UKIP election candidate Donald Grewar has quit over online comments supporting a British National Party statement calling gay people “fascist perverts” and “paedophiles”

• Advertisement

Advertisement