Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel embarrassed about healthy lifestyle

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

*puts sandwich to one side*, lost my appetite now :(

:pac:

Very few things put me off my food. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

lufties wrote: »
    So I'm a healthy eater, vegetables, quinoa, organic, coconut oil etc etc. I do yoga, don't drink, don't smoke. (I wasn't always like this).

I've noticed how unhealthy people I work with eat and when they observe my eating habits(especially work colleagues), I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:

Anyone else experience this?
    it works for you and your happy. that is all that matters. its nobody elses business

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

it works for you and your happy. that is all that matters. its nobody elses business

Yes I agree, I don't usually care what anyone thinks, but when you eat healthy and 85% of your colleagues don't..its hard to fit in. I think I'm different to most of my workmates, I try to think outside the box, avoid mainstream media generally, avoid **** tv etc. I do yoga, practice mindfulness(not at work obv). It s prob not just my diet where the differences lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

The best advice I can give someone is just to eat what you enjoy but don't eat to excess.

Ouote on quote healthfood/Junk foods don't nearly offer the healthy/unhealthy claims some people think they do, I mean you could eat fruit veg and fish all you life and never drink, smoke or eat burgers and pizzas etc but if its in your genes to get cancer or heart disease the chances are your going to get it anyway.

Its the same with quote on quote junk foods, these wont cause heart disease or cancer unless your massively over eating calories

I know a guy that is really into his training, has a 6 pack and at a recent medical all his blood work came in very healthy, this same guy has a coffee and donut every morning for 11am break, a sandwich for lunch and either Italian, thai or something nice and flavourable for dinner, he doesn't obsess over things, he eats what he enjoys, he trains because he enjoys it, he doesn't eat 6meals a day or any of that crap, this is something he does to enrich his life, the secret is having 1 donut or 1 slice of piece of cake, moderation

Now back to the original poster, perhaps he simply doesn't enjoy, sweat or savoury foods, perhaps what he eats to him is like chips and burgers to everyone else

The best advice I can give someone is just to eat what you enjoy but don't eat to excess.

Ouote on quote healthfood/Junk foods don't nearly offer the healthy/unhealthy claims some people think they do, I mean you could eat fruit veg and fish all you life and never drink, smoke or eat burgers and pizzas etc but if its in your genes to get cancer or heart disease the chances are your going to get it anyway.

Its the same with quote on quote junk foods, these wont cause heart disease or cancer unless your massively over eating calories

I know a guy that is really into his training, has a 6 pack and at a recent medical all his blood work came in very healthy, this same guy has a coffee and donut every morning for 11am break, a sandwich for lunch and either Italian, thai or something nice and flavourable for dinner, he doesn't obsess over things, he eats what he enjoys, he trains because he enjoys it, he doesn't eat 6meals a day or any of that crap, this is something he does to enrich his life, the secret is having 1 donut or 1 slice of piece of cake, moderation

Now back to the original poster, perhaps he simply doesn't enjoy, sweat or savoury foods, perhaps what he eats to him is like chips and burgers to everyone else

Ok for the most part people obviously want to live longer. But a lot of it is well being and how good food makes you feel. For example, I would shop for quality sausages or opt for turkey burgers rather than go to Macdonalds. I feel much better afterwards with regard to digestion and bloatedness, I had a burger in a restaurant recently, and couldn't **** properly for about two days. Even if I could my own wedges with home made ingredients, rapeseed oil, I feel better and it tastes better.

Regarding organic produce, well personally I can't taste the difference but it doesnt cost me much extra to buy produce free from chemicals and what not.

Otherwise, I have supplements such as wheatgrass, cacao, maca, moringa, all natural superfoods and bursting with powerful antioxidents, vitamins and minerals.

I actually enjoy healthy prepared meals, It is proven that eating well can prevent cancer and heart disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Don't forget the dark chocolate and Goji berries Lufties. Very good for the reproductive health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I just asked my housemate(who wants to change his diet), was that your leftover dominos on the table? He sheepishly said yes..Perhaps sometimes you just have to shame people into changing if you care about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

[Grammar Nazi Mode]

It's "eat healthily", not "eat healthy". You can't eat adjectives.

[/Grammar Nazi Mode]

• Advertisement

Are you a politician by any chance? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Eat what you like, drink what you like & fúck anyone who has a problem with it...

Eat drink & be merry, for tomorrow we die...

We should enjoy life as much as possible, because it will all be over soon.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Eat what you like, drink what you like & fúck anyone who has a problem with it...

Eat drink & be merry, for tomorrow we die...

We should enjoy life as much as possible, because it will all be over soon.

With respect, that is a cop out..the old 'i'm here for a good time, not a long time'. I lived by that for a good few years, and it ironically only brought me misery.

I recently gave up booze, started to eat well and look after myself and I'm happier and more confident that I've been in years!

With respect, that is a cop out..the old 'i'm here for a good time, not a long time'. I lived by that for a good few years, and it ironically only brought me misery.

I recently gave up booze, started to eat well and look after myself and I'm happier and more confident that I've been in years!
    I drink like a fish, eat like a horse, smoke weed, train 4 times a week, over 50 & happy as a pig in shít, never had a problem with confidence :p

Cop that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I actually enjoy healthy prepared meals, It is proven that eating well can prevent cancer and heart disease.

This is wildly wrong. Most of the "superfoods" you mention have no evidence basis for any benefits beyond what you'd get from a standard healthy diet, and eating a healthy diet is only associated with a reduced incidence of heart disease. No prevention, no "proof", and any link to cancer is wildly speculative. You're massively overstating the case for healthy eating, you appear to be unsure of what healthy eating actually constitutes, and you're doing it while judging other people for their attitudes to food.

Thats the thing..Pizza from dominos or 4 star does NOT make you feel good. Try make a homemade one from scratch..much better.

This is wildly wrong. Most of the "superfoods" you mention have no evidence basis for any benefits beyond what you'd get from a standard healthy diet, and eating a healthy diet is only associated with a reduced incidence of heart disease. No prevention, no "proof", and any link to cancer is wildly speculative. You're massively overstating the case for healthy eating, you appear to be unsure of what healthy eating actually constitutes, and you're doing it while judging other people for their attitudes to food.

Speculative? Ahh I see, thats why hospitals and health clinics promote eating of red meat to prevent bowel cancer.

'cancer fighting' is probably a more appropriate term that preventative.

I drink like a fish, eat like a horse, smoke weed, train 4 times a week, over 50 & happy as a pig in shít, never had a problem with confidence :p

Cop that ;)

You must be some sort of super human so..Anyone who gets bladdered constantly couldn't possibly be truly happy and comfortable with themselves.

• Advertisement

I tend to feel bloated, sluggish along with acid reflux. It ****s up my digestive system too.

Pizza is full of salt too with feck all nutrition.

You must be some sort of super human so..Anyone who gets bladdered constantly couldn't possibly be truly happy and comfortable with themselves.
    Not super-human, quite average actually.

I'm a brewer, I like beer, not to get bladdered, just buzzed & hardly constantly :eek:

With respect, I don't need you to judge whether I am truly happy & comfortable with my self because indeed I am, thank you for asking :P

Judge not & all that...

Good for you leading a healthier existance, me I'm happy here in Sodom & Gomorrah :D

Not super-human, quite average actually.

I'm a brewer, I like beer, not to get bladdered, just buzzed & hardly constantly :eek:

With respect, I don't need you to judge whether I am truly happy & comfortable with my self because indeed I am, thank you for asking :P

Judge not & all that...

Good for you leading a healthier existance, me I'm happy here in Sodom & Gomorrah :D

Pffft, booze is for commoners and sheep ..

Magic mushrooms on the other hand..now that's an experience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Speculative? Ahh I see, thats why hospitals and health clinics promote eating of red meat to prevent bowel cancer.

'cancer fighting' is probably a more appropriate term that preventative.

No, it's not. Even red meat, which is probably the food with the most evidence against it in terms of increased cancer risk, isn't that simple - the most recent evidence suggests that it's processed red meat that's the problem, but there are difficulties in terms of teasing out the causative relationship given that people who like slabs of rare steak also tend to like sausages and bacon.

And "cancer fighting" is an utterly terrible term. What foodstuff actually delays or reverses the growth of cancerous cells? Food isn't cancer-fighting; the most we can say is that it's neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I just asked my housemate(who wants to change his diet), was that your leftover dominos on the table? He sheepishly said yes..Perhaps sometimes you just have to shame people into changing if you care about them.

I feel extremely strongly about this. People respond differently to different types of motivation. However, shaming people has as its objective to make people feel extremely bad about themselves. This is very often counterproductive as it can cause a certain amount of self loathing and self esteem issues.

If you genuinely care about someone, shaming them may be the worst thing you can do to motivate them to change their lives. It's a tool that is used to induce feelings of guilt and can cause serious issues.

Making people feel bad about themselves is abusive behaviour and strangely enough, it often doesn't work. My advice to you is if you care about people, you don't shame them, but you sit down and talk to them and voice your concerns less obnoxiously to them.
    Ok for the most part people obviously want to live longer. But a lot of it is well being and how good food makes you feel. For example, I would shop for quality sausages or opt for turkey burgers rather than go to Macdonalds. I feel much better afterwards with regard to digestion and bloatedness, I had a burger in a restaurant recently, and couldn't **** properly for about two days. Even if I could my own wedges with home made ingredients, rapeseed oil, I feel better and it tastes better.

Regarding organic produce, well personally I can't taste the difference but it doesnt cost me much extra to buy produce free from chemicals and what not.

Otherwise, I have supplements such as wheatgrass, cacao, maca, moringa, all natural superfoods and bursting with powerful antioxidents, vitamins and minerals.

A couple of points here.

If you are eating a healthy, balanced diet, as you claim, you will not need any of the supplements you have listed. Arguably, you think you're eating healthily so in that case, I would suggest you dump the supplements - they don't come cheap - or you reconsider whether in fact, you are eating healthily.

There is some scientific research suggesting that nutritionally, there is no advantage to organic food. There may be food miles efficiencies but that is an environmental issue rather than a nutritional matter but that's not a given and there are other environmental points to take into consideration in terms of food availability. I also think you need to understand that organic food is grown using fertilisers and other supports; they just have a limited range of them. At least one of them, the name of which escapes me right now, is considered less healthy for humans than most of the modern fertilisers.

On the subject of food prepared, I enjoy cooking and I do it most days. There is some evidence to suggest that people who cook for themselves are less likely to put on weight. The question I would ask you is which matters more to you, the cooking or the "healthy" label you apply to it.

What I get from your posts is that you judge people and you're afraid they judge you. I wonder what that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Calina wrote: »
    What I get from your posts is that you judge people and you're afraid they judge you. I wonder what that is.

The OP has made comments alluding to the lack of sophistication and intellect of his co-workers. It wouldn't surprise me if this attitude comes across to his colleagues in some way. People can be quite perceptive, hell even the "blue collars" lufties appears to be looking down his nose at!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Thats the thing..Pizza from dominos or 4 star does NOT make you feel good. .

What? It's lovely. Home made pizza is meh most of the time.

• Advertisement

Magic mushrooms on the other hand..now that's an experience :D
    True that! :D;)

Advertisement