Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel embarrassed about healthy lifestyle

Options
  • 09-03-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

So I'm a healthy eater, vegetables, quinoa, organic, coconut oil etc etc. I do yoga, don't drink, don't smoke. (I wasn't always like this).

I've noticed how unhealthy people I work with eat and when they observe my eating habits(especially work colleagues), I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Go vegetarian for a while and wait for the reactions you'll get once people notice....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

All the time. I find its a full time job having to go around calling out all the hipsters at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

No, not at all. Then again I'm not a big smuggy smuggo like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Shenshen wrote: »
    You turn vegetarian for a while and wait for the reactions you'll get once people notice....

I'm not a vegetarian, but eat more veg/fruit and nuts than meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I experience this a lot.
    Even when Im not being healthy, just like trying to be less unhealthy.
    Like Ill have a diet coke, friends like ''oohh on a diet I see ;)''
    Want some crisps? Nah no thanks. Friend: watching the weight are we?
    Stuff like that, its actually so annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Why would you feel embarrassed about eating good healthy food? I'd be more embarrassed rocking up to work with leftover takeaway tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Your strengths just highlight their weaknesses and people would prefer to not think about such things.

If they were truly comfortable with what they were eating, what you eat wouldn't bother them in the slightest.

Don't eat with embarrassment though. It'll give you indigestion.

Why would you feel embarrassed about eating good healthy food? I'd be more embarrassed rocking up to work with leftover takeaway tbh.

Its a bit of a blue collar, male dominated, unsophisticated workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Yep.
    Nobody calls me a hipster but they do smirk at me and pass comments because I won't have a slice of birthday cake or I won't go out for lunch because I've gone to the bother of cooking and bringing to work something healthy.
    And then there are the people who lecture me on what I'm eating, insistent that it can't be good for me while they're stuffing themselves with crisps and chocolate and all kinds of crap.
    And then there are the people who look at something I'm eating and make comments like "oh I couldn't keep going all day if I was only eating that rabbit food".

Just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

I feel ya OP. I've been lifting weights now for 4 years and have kept it quiet from a huge portion of my friends. It was mainly down to feeling I should have made more progress than I have but now that's starting to wear off.

I don't really talk to people about it still even though I'm more into fitness than ever but it's mainly because I realise other people who aren't into fitness don't want to hear about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I got embarrassed counting carbs, didn't want to seem like one of those people who looks down on others for not being enlightened and eating some fad diet. I expect a lot of it comes down to guilt about their own eating habits, but we've all met someone who makes a point about how they eat healthy with an undertone of smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

lufties wrote: »
    So I'm a healthy eater, vegetables, quinoa, organic, coconut oil etc etc. I do yoga, don't drink, don't smoke. (I wasn't always like this).

I've noticed how unhealthy people I work with eat and when they observe my eating habits(especially work colleagues), I get reactions that make me feel uncomfortable or that I'm being 'all uppidy', hipster, perhaps even a bit snobbish :rolleyes:

Why do you eat with the people you work with? Yuck! If it's not in the pub for a few at lunch then I don't want to see their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Never mind, that's just irishness I think, don't go with the herd, they get upset.
    By the way, where you getting the cocunut oil, and any links how to include it? Got something but it turns out its a jar of coconut paste, came from an Asian store but it seems its limited and geared towards ertain asian cooking rather than what I'd hoped as more eastern.
    Want to go off butter anyway so this might suit, I'll check.
    I must look into flat bread recipes from atta,
    Any lnks would be of help, might try quinona myself too.

It comes from school, uni and working places where people feel like they're all acting like each other. One big unit that does things together.

The team mentality causes a load of women to start doing yoga or a group of lada to play football even if they've fek all interest.

People like yourself who break the mould are easy to have a but of a laugh at.

Personally, I'm in a drinking crowd but have started to go my own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Despite the fact that I never draw attention to what I'm eating, I don't talk about healthy eating or whatnot, people have started to notice that I'm not eating chips everyday in the canteen like they are.

Thankfully they haven't been slagging me off (they're encouraging mostly) but they commented jokingly that they feel so self-conscious about their food because of me!!!:pac:

People who dig into ya over this are probably feeling judged themselves and projecting their own diet insecurities on you in defense.

However, I will eat junk food, as I'm quite the sweet-tooth, so it's important that I prepare my own healthy lunch & snacks to avoid impulse binging. And I conveniently happen to dislike most fizzy drinks so I don't even have to try in that department.

cerastes wrote: »
    Never mind, that's just irishness I think, don't go with the herd, they get upset.
    By the way, where you getting the cocunut oil, and any links how to include it? Got something but it turns out its a jar of coconut paste, came from an Asian store but it seems its limited and geared towards ertain asian cooking rather than what I'd hoped as more eastern.
    Want to go off butter anyway so this might suit, I'll check.
    I must look into flat bread recipes from atta,
    Any lnks would be of help, might try quinona myself too.

Try lucy bees extra virgin coconut oil. You can get it on amazon. I live in london so I don't know where you'd get it in ireland. I put it in stir frys or curries mainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I think sharing food is one of those real basic human bonding exercises so i see why not eating birthday cake or going to lunch is noticed and remarked upon, the other might be people feeling guilty or it might be the fact that people give digs because thats what people do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Usually bring in healthy homemade stuff for lunch plus fruit but nobody ever says anything about it. Don't often eat in the kitchen though, just heat it there. Usually eat at my desk

I think a lot of what people think are judgmental comments in offices and the like are often just people making hamfisted attempts at conversation most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ive watched too many very healthy eaters, very clean livers that i know get cancer anyway.

You have to die of something, might as well enjoy yourself even a little while you're here, instead of being a miserable sod with a sparkling colon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Your strengths just highlight their weaknesses and people would prefer to not think about such things.

If they were truly comfortable with what they were eating, what you eat wouldn't bother them in the slightest.

Don't eat with embarrassment though. It'll give you indigestion.

^^^

This.. I get it over my training and my age ~ apparently I'm too old to be training and competing martial arts, cycling 40km (plus) daily and I lift weights, it makes the fat lazy f*cks uncomfortable in their lazy unhealthy lives, so they try knock me down to their level.. Fools.

(my age, 49 today)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Lufties next time they give you guff, throw an avocado at them... while screaming manically "How do you like my superfood bitch!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

lufties wrote: »

How are you "noticing"? Quietly, out loud, or letting it read on your face?

What are their reactions to your food like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

anncoates wrote: »
    Usually bring in healthy homemade stuff for lunch plus fruit but nobody ever says anything about it. Don't often eat in the kitchen though, just heat it there. Usually eat at my desk

I think a lot of what people think are judgmental comments in offices and the like are often just people making hamfisted attempts at conversation most of the time.

Yeah, I almost always bring my own lunch and am the only one in the office to do so (most of the time, occasionally the other bring stuff in) but I never get any comments at all 'cept the occasional "oh what's that?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

They must have very empty lives to care what somebody else has for their lunch. It's like people who rant about vegetarians lecturing people but you very rarely hear any of us veggies ranting about people who eat meat. Well done OP, I wish I had your discipline, although I have made a start on it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I find eating healthy food in a canteen can illicit the same response as drinking soft drinks in a pub. People seem to get uptight and insecure. They feel like they are being judged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

They must have very empty lives to care what somebody else has for their lunch. It's like people who rant about vegetarians lecturing people but you very rarely hear any of us veggies ranting about people who eat meat. Well done OP, I wish I had your discipline, although I have made a start on it.:)

What about Morrissey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I almost always bring my own lunch and am the only one in the office to do so (most of the time, occasionally the other bring stuff in) but I never get any comments at all 'cept the occasional "oh what's that?".

I think an awful lot of these office scenarios run like this.

Both of you standing at microwave.

Silence builds. Polite conversation required but not really wanted by either party.

Party A finally blurts out some inane non sequitur like 'Healthy option today?'

Party A walks back to desk morto thinking they've been a blabbering idiot.

Party B walks back to desk thinking 'what did that judgmental bastard mean by that?'.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yep.
    Nobody calls me a hipster but they do smirk at me and pass comments because I won't have a slice of birthday cake or I won't go out for lunch because I've gone to the bother of cooking and bringing to work something healthy.
    And then there are the people who lecture me on what I'm eating, insistent that it can't be good for me while they're stuffing themselves with crisps and chocolate and all kinds of crap.
    And then there are the people who look at something I'm eating and make comments like "oh I couldn't keep going all day if I was only eating that rabbit food".

Just ignore them.

Where do ye all work!? When I eat salads etc or refuse cake/biscuits people would ask about it but the would definitely not be snobby about it, to be honest I would get a lot more "fair play to you" than anything else.

Possibly unfair without context: I am 5'9 and 14 stone which is overweight, but I am losing it (was over 16 stone this time last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What about Morrissey?

Ah, well Morrissey is more of a tit than a vegetarian. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just point and laugh as they suffer a massive coronary.

That'll teach them.

Advertisement