Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal things that seem strange to you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Wedding traditions.

1) waiting for him to propose. Wtf is that about? Tell him if you want to get married. He can say no. Instead we have this pantomime of having to let him know we want a proposal and him giving in.
    2) the engagement ring. Why is the woman announcing to the world she is 'promised' but he doesn't? Why not both wait till the wedding or both wear engagement rings? I think in Poland the men wear on their right hand then transfer to their left when they've sealed the deal.
    3) wedding dresses. Most brides are in their 30's and look like they are going to a fancy dress party wearing their communion dress. Thank f**king christ brides no longer stand up saying their vows with a veil COVERING HER FACE
    4) father giving her away. Eh hello 1940's? I think it's a given we can support ourselves and don't need to be handed over with the twenty sheep as payment.

I am not opposed to marriage or anything but traditional Irish weddings are bizarre if you step away and think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Seeing jobs in IT as exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Are selfies deemed normal these days ? if so, definitely selfies. I'm talking about the attention seekers who bombard us with different poses every weekend when their out fishing for likes etc, i'm convinced there short a few brain cells tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Seeing jobs in IT as exciting.

If anything thinks IT is exciting they need only come and spend a day in any of the many IT departments I have darkened the doors of. You'd find more excitement in mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Birds...tiny singing dinosaurs with feathers.

Freaks.

love it :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Electric Picnic and some people's obsession with it. It just looks like a lot of middle-aged middle-class twats in a field trying to relive their teens. I have friends such as these and I find it all a bit pathetic tbh.

But it's full of young ones?

Although like you, i don't get the obsession either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The apparent success of sites like ' lovin Dublin ' . Bad language, hyperbole and burger reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Katgurl wrote: »
    Wedding traditions.

1) waiting for him to propose. Wtf is that about? Tell him if you want to get married. He can say no. Instead we have this pantomime of having to let him know we want a proposal and him giving in.
    2) the engagement ring. Why is the woman announcing to the world she is 'promised' but he doesn't? Why not both wait till the wedding or both wear engagement rings? I think in Poland the men wear on their right hand then transfer to their left when they've sealed the deal.
    3) wedding dresses. Most brides are in their 30's and look like they are going to a fancy dress party wearing their communion dress. Thank f**king christ brides no longer stand up saying their vows with a veil COVERING HER FACE
    4) father giving her away. Eh hello 1940's? I think it's a given we can support ourselves and don't need to be handed over with the twenty sheep as payment.

I am not opposed to marriage or anything but traditional Irish weddings are bizarre if you step away and think about it.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/239/d/f/forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

People who take any sport as their religion to preach to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Movie, music & television snobbery ......... wtf do you care if somebody likes xxxxx tv programme just because you deem it as "crap".

Football ........

Average looking men and (particularly) women who are fussy when it comes to romantic connections ....... they usually end up sad, bitter and alone ........ full of self-pity.

Facebook ..........

People who feel an over-whelming urge to strike up a conversation or offer their opinions to complete (and obviously disinterested) strangers.

The Anti-Religion Brigade ........ be an atheist by all means but can you do it quietly and leave the "faithful" alone? I know they may be deluded in their beliefs but so what!?

Posters who respond to a post with "not true" or "incorrect" followed by ......... nothing!! No explanation as to why the post is "not true" ......... by the way it usually IS true .......... just so you know!!

Morning people ............

People who think it's ok to ask strangers for a cigarette .......... "sure why not, have a feel of my wife and a bite of my burger while you're at it!!" :rolleyes:

Posters who get offended by smiley faces for some reason :confused::confused::confused:

Posters who ask other posters "NOT TO SHOUT AT THEM PLEASE!!" ........ reality check, it's not shouting, it's capital letters on a screen ffs!

That's it I think .......... for now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Movie, music & television snobbery ......... wtf do you care if somebody likes xxxxx tv programme just because you deem it as "crap".

Football ........

Average looking men and (particularly) women who are fussy when it comes to romantic connections ....... they usually end up sad, bitter and alone full of self-pity.

Facebook ..........

People who feel an over-whelming urge to strike up a conversation or offer their opinions to complete (and obviously disinterested) strangers.

The Anti-Religion Brigade ........ be an atheist by all means but can you do it quietly and leave the "faithful" alone? I know they may be deluded in their beliefs but so what!?

Posters who respond to a post with "not true" or "incorrect" followed by ......... nothing!! No explanation as to why the post is "not true" ......... by the way it usually IS true .......... just so you know!!

Morning people ............

People who think it's ok to ask strangers for a cigarette .......... "sure why not, have a feel of my wife and a bite of my burger while you're at it!!" :rolleyes:

Posters who get offended by smiley faces for some reason :confused::confused::confused:

Posters who ask other posters "NOT TO SHOUT AT THEM PLEASE!!" ........ reality check, it's not shouting, it's capital letters on a screen ffs!

That's it I think .......... for now ;)

Steady there Maddog.

kneemos wrote: »
    Steady there Maddog.

:)

Oh and I agree with the Op regarding men's urinals!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

nc19 wrote: »
    watching sport

never understood it. If you like it so much go and do it yourself
    I'll be watching football today. I'd rather play but organising 22 people on a Wednesday night is difficult.

I forgot "liberal parents" who try to reason with a screaming tantrum-throwing two year old in the mistaken belief that a logical discussion will solve the problem .......... "calm down Sebastian and work through your feelings" ......... "give me back my Nutella sandwich and f*** off mammy!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Shaking hands at funerals.

Sympathise if you want; say a prayer if you want; but your handshake - no matter who you are - is unlikely to give comfort to a suffering person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I forgot "liberal parents" who try to reason with a screaming tantrum-throwing two year old in the mistaken belief that a logical discussion will solve the problem .......... "
    Also parents who talk to their teenage kids like full adults.

5rtytry56 wrote: »

They talk to their toddlers like they're adults ........ "they're just small people you know" ......... no, they are in fact children.

People who get territorial about other people parking outside their house .......... even when they don't own a car themselves!! :confused: Newsflash, you didn't buy the actual road outside your house :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I forgot "liberal parents" who try to reason with a screaming tantrum-throwing two year old in the mistaken belief that a logical discussion will solve the problem .......... "calm down Sebastian and work through your feelings" ......... "give me back my Nutella sandwich and f*** off mammy!!!"

+1 on this. I was in Lidl today and some Dad was allowing his 2 kids to use the place as a race track/playground. Occassionally he'd make a vague half hearted comment on how they should calm down. Seriously, what dafuq is it with some parents? There's no way my parents would have let us run around a supermarket.

+1 on this. I was in Lidl today and some Dad was allowing his 2 kids to use the place as a race track/playground. Occassionally he'd make a vague half hearted comment on how they should calm down. Seriously, what dafuq is it with some parents? There's no way my parents would have let us run around a supermarket.

"They need to be free to express themselves physically ......... " :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

People working 20 years in the same widget factory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

5rtytry56 wrote: »

Well meaning parents who do their best to dumb down their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

You are able to look at your own hoop? :confused:

Hahahaha no. The bog roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Yeah I'd agree on IT departments being boring. I'll be starting full time myself in June, however I've already determined It'll be purely for a 9-5 money making venture over 35-40 years.

I've worked in IT before and listening to how the rest of the office spent they're "weekend" filled me with boredom and pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

People working 20 years in the same widget factory.

There are other widget factories out there? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Sugar, everyone's a sugar pusher, do you want sugar, every time you get a coffee they have to ask in case you're offended that you didn't receive enough sugar. If only foods contained natural sugar then we wouldn't have to take it from a sachet. These people are doing their best to give you diabetes but in the nicest way possible. The next generation's scandal to be uncovered is that we're surrounded by sugar pushers. Where's the "Sugar may cause to you lose your sight or limbs" health warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

People who constantly seek approval from people who wouldn't give them a second glance, both friends and workmates, it's always puzzled me. Have a bit of self respect.

This has turned into the "trivial things that annoy you" thread.

And that annoys me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

"Normal" things that are strange... Were do i start..

People ...
    The more i change the more strange i become according to others... So i then see them as strange for thinking that

Life ... The older and more indepth awareness i have, normal things start to look strange...

If i sound strange... Youve gotten my drift! 😜

• Advertisement

"Normal" things that are strange... Were do i start..

People ...
    The more i change the more strange i become according to others... So i then see them as strange for thinking that

Life ... The older and more indepth awareness i have, normal things start to look strange...

If i sound strange... Youve gotten my drift! 😜

Apt user name

Advertisement