Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Cold, Snowy Weather Feb 28th - March 3rd 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dry and sunny (well partly cloudy) on the southside (of Dublin). :( 5.3c atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

On and off graupel showers s here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Gotten heavy in Coolock, and it's sticking :D

Mad, I'm in Dublin CC and not a thing all day. Well, a few little spits of snow, but nothing significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

A little bit of Hail now near Arklow
    Temp has taken a 3c tumble

Currently 5.5c dp is 0.2c

I think I'll take on Gonzo's usual role as the grumpy one on here ,now that he's satisfied for a while,if he'd kindly pm me the scripts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Mad, I'm in Dublin CC and not a thing all day. Well, a few little spits of snow, but nothing significant.

My sister is working a 15 min walk away from me and nothing there either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Heavy hail in Dublin 3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,764 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bone dry in D18 and long may it continue.. it causes absolute chaos on the roads around here and the local council never seem to bother gritting when a cold snap hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A mix of hail and snow just passed in north Dub (more the former), got very slippy under foot for a while.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Showers breaking up and weakening before they reach here in Waterford City. Just one snow shower around 5.15am which did give a light dusting. Bitterly cold wind chill though with a current temp of 6.3c DP 0.6c Wind gusting to 40km/h.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Well i gots me some thunder graupel so yeah im happy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Heavy snow in Limerick and it's starting to stick now :D

Paging hollster2
    Interesting clump on the radar now heading for South Wicklow,I suppose we better brace ourselves ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most of earlier snow melted, only patchs left.
    Shower here again bit more of a sleety mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Can't wait for next weekend :)'

What's next Weekend? Hopefully some bloody warm weather. Sick of the cold at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Really dark clouds now in d17 looking promising....

Paging hollster2
    Interesting clump on the radar now heading for South Wicklow,I suppose we better brace ourselves ?

Its falling here now miserable sleet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Big chunky snow flakes falling here in Cavan. Fingers crossed for a total white out before dark... for the kids of course!! :)

hollster2 wrote: »
    Its falling here now miserable sleet :(
    Aye,it's dry cloud out my way,it's just had the effect of darkening the place
    This spell is typical of our Groundhog Day winter 2014/15-same weather pattern throughout with typical 24hr snow 95% off Canadian sales in the usual spots before a return to the milder sectors
    Time it was over to be frank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

Almost blizzard conditions here in Laois, huge flakes swirling around in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Looking towards mweelra mountain

• Advertisement

Aye,it's dry cloud out my way,it's just had the effect of darkening the place
    This spell is typical of our Groundhog Day winter 2014/15-same weather pattern throughout with typical 24hr snow 95% off Canadian sales in the usual spots before a return to the milder sectors
    Time it was over to be frank
    Falling as snow now but not sticking such a dissapointing winter nothing more then a dusting. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Orange and Yellow alert warnings from Met Eireann for tonight

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

I don't expect much in the east though a dusting would not surprise me either. Potential for more significant amounts further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Orange and Yellow alert warnings from Met Eireann for tonight

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

I don't expect much in the east though a dusting would not surprise me either. Potential for more significant amounts further west.

Not for West clare by the looks.

At 5:30 am we got such a heavy hail storm that it woke everyone I know in the area. This storm left hail that's still well stocked in certain areas. Alot of the hail thats in bunches has a slight covering of snow from a small shower we had at 3pm, but nothing amazing here, nothing stuck.

Well met eireann have been dragged kicking and screaming towards this cold spell with a refusal to up the ante until this morning. Expect a warning imminent.

For Corkonians expect heavy snow showers from early tonight leaving a widespread deposit of several cm by morning. Hilly locations will be dangerous. Tomorrow showers will continue throughout with only short dry sunny spells. By tomorrow night several inches will lie on hills.

This is the most potent cold spell all Winter and whilst it's March now it will deliver for favoured locations

I think you jinxed it again lad ,like in the last event when you similarly got excited,does anywhere in the hills in cork have several inches,was there widespread deposits in Cork (sea level)of several centimetres?
    What would a met Eireann Orange alert have achieved? egg on faces tbh
    I think Glasnevin called this right AGAIN so far for your area and credit where credit is due there
    I guess the point I'm making is,never lose the run of yourself when predicting snow

Ok,they didn't predict the short lived frontal snow yesterday but no one did,with the exception of Kermit mentioning it flagged at one point on the Euro4,it was a surprise more than anything though

hollster2 wrote: »
    Falling as snow now but not sticking such a dissapointing winter nothing more then a dusting. :(

Hmmmmm,keep an eye on the little curved feature now stretching through Laois,Carlow,North Kilkenny,it looks like it has more Ooomph and is traveling ENE
    Anywhere from you to South Dublin could eventually see a few flakes from it

Hmmmmm,keep an eye on the little curved feature now stretching through Laois,Carlow,North Kilkenny,it looks like it has more Ooomph and is traveling ENE
    Anywhere from you to South Dublin could eventually see a few flakes from it

It's just arrived at Villians place in Tullow and looks to be falling as snow still
    It's losing intensity like the last one,so not expecting anything near Arklow

You can see it on the Tullow web cam

http://www.carlowweather.com/wxwebcam.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Graupel falling in cork city. Least its something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Dark with driving snow and hail here with temp hovering just above a springlike 0c.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think you jinxed it again lad ,like in the last event when you similarly got excited,does anywhere in the hills in cork have several inches,was there widespread deposits in Cork (sea level)of several centimetres?
    What would a met Eireann Orange alert have achieved? egg on faces tbh
    I think Glasnevin called this right AGAIN so far for your area and credit where credit is due there
    I guess the point I'm making is,never lose the run of yourself when predicting snow

Ok,they didn't predict the short lived frontal snow yesterday but no one did,with the exception of Kermit mentioning it flagged at one point on the Euro4,it was a surprise more than anything though

WB, while I do largely agree with your overall message, in fairness to JS there was actually appreciable snow around in Cork City this morning with a few people working with me having problems getting out of their (admittedly higher) suburban estates. Talking 2cm at most though - issue was that it froze around 7am.

Also ME did issue a warning so JS was technically correct in that regard but I agree ME overall called this correctly as they have tended to do all winter. I think there was justifiable criticism of ME in years past when they were determined to never use the word "snow" but they've gotten over that phobia now it seems and use it when, and as, appropriate.

Advertisement