Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarianism in the Republic of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Candie wrote: »
    Ah that's ok so. It's perfectly fine to be a bit of a sh!t to random strangers on the off chance that they might be a bit of a sh!t to you.

Yes because i'm actually going to start doing that.

Do i need to start wrapping my posts in sarcasm tags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Do I....funny i am quite the opposite. I raised this issue as returning immigrants will slowly start to return and i was wondering are they prepared for the baggage that comes with their accents here.

And i'm telling you what happens to someone whose accent carries baggage in the land those returning immigrants are returning from. I deal with it. It's just banter here and it's the same back in Ireland.

Do I....funny i am quite the opposite. I raised this issue as returning immigrants will slowly start to return and i was wondering are they prepared for the baggage that comes with their accents here.

You seem to have baggage, but you can't extend that to all immigrants.

Again, I'm sorry your experience of intolerance of your accent is causing you such pique, but it's not something I've encountered in significant amounts to bother me. I expect that there are as many like me with nothing to complain about as there are like you, who complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I take it you are trying to be funny. Its not 1976 and I seriously doubt Irish people dig roads much anymore.

You start a thread about indigenous making fun of your accent and aiming their ire/jibes at you,and you want us to acknowledge,accecpt and explain this phenomenom to you, while thinking it would be unimaginable were it to happen to non-indigenous people in Southern England even when people just gave you examples of it happening there?

Get over yourself,you are not being persecuted.Happens everywhere in the World- cura te ipsum;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Do English people get a great reception everywhere else they go, what's the benchmark, like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

No, BBC english.

BBC 1, 2 or HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 contactbackup

Do English people get a great reception everywhere else they go, what's the benchmark, like?

Most places I find the English are generally well received. Unless you are taking about them Geordie shore types to go to Costa Del Sol, They deserve to get some stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Sometimes it's not the accent, it's the perceived attitude.

Prince Philip is incredibly popular among some people here because he is seen as a kind of anti-establishment figure who doesn't give a flying fark about protocol (even though he is nothing of the sort).

One strategy is to pretend to be American. People will fawn over you.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

*sorry...it was put in the wrong place by mistake

This partially about sectarianism but also about general anti British sentiment in Ireland.
    As a British national of Irish Heritage I encounter casual sectarianism/racism in Ireland fairly often mainly in the form of snide comments, impersonation of my southern English accent or just blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business.

With the amount of Irish who again have moved with children to the UK due to the recession and will mostly return with differing accents, I was wondering does the posters here believe it to be an issue here and do they perceive it to be getting better or worse?

I must add that I found English people who have regional accents seem to fair slightly better over here..why is that?

Think you might need a spoonful of concrete on your cornflakes..

aido79 wrote: »
    Think you might need a spoonful of concrete on your cornflakes..

I have no idea what that means. Cornflakes or cereals not my thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

And i'm telling you what happens to someone whose accent carries baggage in the land those returning immigrants are returning from. I deal with it. It's just banter here and it's the same back in Ireland.
    I'm married to an Irish lady, born and raised in the UK. She returned to Ireland with her parents when she was 5 in the '70s, with a discernible english accent.

She would not agree with the idea that pushing and shoving in the playground, being kicked and tripped on the way home from school or being refused service in shops she went to buy sweets and being called an english c*** while waiting for her parents to pick her up from school could be called banter.

It's casual and socially acceptable still in Ireland and it happened in local schools when returned emigrants, who were friends of mine, enrolled their children in schools. It was prevalent in the '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s and it's still prevalent and it's as wrong to carry it out today as it is to dismiss it as banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This partially about sectarianism but also about (.............).why is that?

Given the rest of your posts, I'd say you're making this up. It would not be "sectarianism" either, btw.

I'm married to an Irish lady, born and raised in the UK. She returned to Ireland with her parents when she was 5 in the '70s, with a discernible english accent.

She would not agree with the idea that pushing and shoving in the playground, being kicked and tripped on the way home from school or being refused service in shops she went to buy sweets and being called an english c*** while waiting for her parents to pick her up from school could be called banter.

It's casual and socially acceptable still in Ireland and it happened in local schools when returned emigrants, who were friends of mine, enrolled their children in schools. It was prevalent in the '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s and it's still prevalent and it's as wrong to carry it out today as it is to dismiss it as banter.
    Everything is called banter here. I'm sure the church used that line here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

EIGHTHUNDREDYEARSAMIRITE!?

:D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I have no idea what that means. Cornflakes or cereals not my thing.

Have you ever heard the expression "harden the fcuk up"? I think you are reading too much into this. I meet alot of English people and get on well with them but there is a huge difference between Irish and English mentalities and humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Is your comment about the church "banter" or not? I'm getting confused now.

Have you ever heard the expression "harden the fcuk up"? I think you are reading too much into this. I meet alot of English people and get on well with them but there is a huge difference between Irish and English mentalities and humour.
    explain this difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Is your comment about the church "banter" or not? I'm getting confused now.

No, thats the sectarianism aspect to the thread. I am waiting for the racism part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

That sounds like sectarianism. You can't really compare this girls situation growing up in the 70's with now. Back then irish kids had a vicious time of it.

You get a bit of banter. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

She speaks in a 1950's BBC tone....wonderful.

I was raised in Surrey and am sick of the references like "oh he wants the cricket on barman" and the comments about me taking a weeks morning for Margret Thatchers funeral.

I was working with the RAF many years but information like that I tend to keep very quiet when in social circles.

Have you ever heard of banter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Not really. In fact the english will make some "top of the morning" jokes at the drop of a hat. But it's mostly banter.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of banter?

I am well aware of banter. After living away on bases and previously boarding at school, rugby tours etc.. I am well aware of banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

This partially about sectarianism but also about general anti British sentiment in Ireland.
    As a British national of Irish Heritage I encounter casual sectarianism/racism in Ireland fairly often mainly in the form of snide comments, impersonation of my southern English accent or just blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business.

With the amount of Irish who again have moved with children to the UK due to the recession and will mostly return with differing accents, I was wondering does the posters here believe it to be an issue here and do they perceive it to be getting better or worse?

I must add that I found English people who have regional accents seem to fair slightly better over here..why is that?

I don't want to derail your English vs Irish thingy, but ...
    Have you tried a German accent? Want to know what I've got to hear when spirits are high (and the pints are flowing)?

Ms Merkel, it's your round, I've heard (which is a real insult, 'cause I don't like that woman either). No, I said, if I'm Ms Merkel, you pay, that's EU-rule. Message received, hilarity ensues. I pay my rounds, though.

Or I asked the unwilling (Irish) bf to help washing the windows, now. You're a right concentration camp warden, he said.
    Right, I said, no window washing, no potatoes for dinner for the next 800 years. - Well then, he said and chuckled ...

Not to mention the "impersonation of my accent" ...

What I want to say is not being so delicate about the Irish banter. If you hear something which you assume to be insulting, shoot back but keep it light. You'll get the knack eventually.
    And work on your sense of humour. If I could do it (being German :P) you should do it no time (being of Irish heritage).

I am well aware of banter. After living away on bases and previously boarding at school, rugby tours etc.. I am well aware of banter.

It's a shame you didn't allow for that when making up your flame bait story then.

Shoe horning the rugby and boarding school thing in that post is way too obvious as well, btw.

I lived in London for 18 years & have had banter & also racism from the English
    You just learn which one is which
    If its banter.....then join in & have a laugh
    If its racism......then best to walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I was raised in Surrey and am sick of the references like "oh he wants the cricket on barman" and the comments about me taking a weeks morning for Margret Thatchers funeral.

Oh you poor thing. Life must be incredibly tough with such vicious as quoted things being said.

Carry wrote: »
    I don't want to derail your English vs Irish thingy, but ...
    Have you tried a German accent? Want to know what I've got to hear when spirits are high (and the pints are flowing)?

Ms Merkel, it's your round, I've heard (which is a real insult, 'cause I don't like that woman either). No, I said, if I'm Ms Merkel, you pay, that's EU-rule. Message received, hilarity ensues. I pay my rounds, though.

Or I asked the unwilling (Irish) bf to help washing the windows, now. You're a right concentration camp warden, he said.
    Right, I said, no window washing, no potatoes for dinner for the next 800 years. - Well then, he said and chuckled ...

Not to mention the "impersonation of my accent" ...

What I want to say is not being so delicate about the Irish banter. If you hear something which you assume to be insulting, shoot back but keep it light. You'll get the knack eventually.
    And work on your sense of humour. If I could do it (being German :P) you should do it no time (being of Irish heritage).

Good for you

Nodin wrote: »
    It's a shame you didn't allow for that when making up your flame bait story then.

Shoe horning the rugby and boarding school thing in that post is way too obvious as well, btw.

Really. I can safely say it is presumptions such as that which is half the problem. Ireland and its insecure stereotypes about the game of rugby. Boring, outdated and smacks of chippy-ness.

Really. I can safely say it is presumptions such as that which is half the problem. Ireland and its insecure stereotypes about the game of rugby. Boring, outdated and smacks of chippy-ness.

Again, too obvious.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Again, too obvious.

Really Mr 33000 posts. The fact you are so focused that such things gives me a fair idea about you and I must say it isn't pretty.

Advertisement