Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarianism in the Republic of Ireland

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

LorMal wrote: »
    its Texas, ain't it? I'm right, ain't I? Have you got a Cowboy hat and a pick up truck?
    Go figure

Im just feeling embarressed for you at this point. Maybe try winding up toddlers first before you go try it with the grown ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: pablomakaveli & LorMal, stop the bickering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Maybe you can look your missus in the eye today when she manhandles you into the bedroom.

This made me laugh out loud. :D It's a funny image. Well played Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Why is everyone saying about being refused service. I never said that but it seems to be what the masses here have digested from the thread. Very odd.
    or just blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business.

So who exactly was ignoring you then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

*sorry...it was put in the wrong place by mistake

This partially about sectarianism but also about general anti British sentiment in Ireland.
    As a British national of Irish Heritage I encounter casual sectarianism/racism in Ireland fairly often mainly in the form of snide comments, impersonation of my southern English accent or just blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business.

With the amount of Irish who again have moved with children to the UK due to the recession and will mostly return with differing accents, I was wondering does the posters here believe it to be an issue here and do they perceive it to be getting better or worse?

I must add that I found English people who have regional accents seem to fair slightly better over here..why is that?

That's just standard customer service in these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Yeah it's not uncommon-sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Was on holidays in Puerta Del Carmen last year, stayed in a really nice hotel & as we went in September it was really after quietening down in the hotel. There were only maybe 20 people staying in the whole place. Everyone very friendly, nice & quiet...apart from the English couple that was staying there.

The guy used to go down to eat his breakfast every morning topless, with his tshirt tucked into his shorts. Have no idea why he couldn't put it on!

By the pool everyone lazing around either chatting, reading a book, in for a quiet swim or whatever. It was lovely really quiet. Until the English couple came. He used to bring an English flag down to the pool with him & tie it across the back of the 2 sunbeds. Still no problem with that I just found it pointless. He & his wife would drink cocktails all day & get absolutely destroyed drunk & get very. Literally the entire pool area could hear their conversations. We were there 10 days & they had sex in the swimming pool two or 3 times. No need it it with elderly people around & also I didn't want to be swimming in their contaminated water.

What took the biscuit though was on our last night me & my girlfriend were coming home after being out for dinner & a few drinks. We found the English couple passed out in the foyer of the hotel. She had pissed herself & one of the 2 of them had gotten sick. They were an absolute disaster & yes that experience did put me off English people. They're just ignorant people. There was no need for any of those incidents to happen but they did due to the ignorant & crass nature of the English people. That chip on their shoulder isn't going anywhere any time soon.

That post says far more about you than it does the English to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

That post says far more about you than it does the English to be honest.

I was about to say the same thing. Those two could be from any country. Tossers are tossers no matter where they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Does she have a regional accent. I find they fair better. Geordie, Scouse, Manc.

regional accent?

Southern shandy drinking sectarianism right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The thing is OP is that Ireland is small, a lot of the same idiots here who think that you're a foreigner would also class a Bogside or Andersonstown Catholic as ''not Irish'', this mickey mouse mindset also extends to parishs, GAA afliliation, Counties, Provinces, Cork / Rest of Ireland and Dub / Bogger animosity.

A lot of it also stems from the notion that an Irish birth cert or accent renders you so much more unique or authentic than those poor inferior non-nationals who don't have a culture or a sense of humour like ''we'' do (as the Indo might put it).

Another nonsense is that any connection to Albion be it in birthplace or accent is seen as the ''antithesis of all tings Oirish'', if Shane MacGowan of dual Irish parentage and citizenship was born in Paris he'd be an Irish national born overseas, because he was born in Kent he's a fraudulent Plastic Paddy.

I agree about the regional accents points as well, Northern English comes across as warmer and homlier than Cockney or a charmless Home Counties City Boy drone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement