Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarianism in the Republic of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sectarianism in the Republic of Ireland

This might be an eye opener for some of ye. One of my best mates (a catholic) was dating a protestant girl for 4 years. Both were from the ROI and they weren't particularly religious. However, persistent parental & family pressure from her side broke them up and the reason you ask? Her parents & family did not want her marrying a catholic, nor did they want any catholic having claim to their prized farm land. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from some quarters north of the border. But to have it happening to a close friend and from a family who lived way down south, certainly was a big surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Really Mr 33000 posts. The fact you are so focused that such things gives me a fair idea about you and I must say it isn't pretty.

It's not my fault you're bad at the WUMing. More effort is required man.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 contactbackup

lertsnim wrote: »
    Oh you poor thing. Life must be incredibly tough with such vicious as quoted things being said.

It doesn't bother me so much but I do get annoyed with day to day stuff that is elevated by some as something special.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Not really. In fact the english will make some "top of the morning" jokes at the drop of a hat. But it's mostly banter.

I've been on the receiving end of those jokes more times than I could count. Some English people are very uptight and I think thats the OP's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Have you ever been asked to say "thirty three and a third"? I have, all over ****ing uk, Australia, Asia and America (where a Brooklyn accented cop stopped us leaving the airport to do so)

I took it for what it was, light hearted. We made friends with all of them.

I've never been refused service anywhere in my life, my English cousins have never been refused, my Ozzie cousins have never been refused...I call bull**** on that one.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    I've been on the receiving end of those jokes more times than I could count. Some English people are very uptight and I think thats the OP's problem.

I don't see myself as uptight at all but i don't feel the need to single people out all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I take it you are trying to be funny. Its not 1976 and I seriously doubt Irish people dig roads much anymore.

Nothing funny about it at all

Have you ever been asked to say "thirty three and a third"? I have, all over ****ing uk, Australia, Asia and America (where a Brooklyn accented cop stopped us leaving the airport to do so)

I've never been refused service anywhere in my life, my English cousins have never been refused, my Ozzie cousins have never been refused...I call bull**** on that one.

If you read the post it never says I was refused service. I was implying some people can be chippy. Rolled eyes and whispers when the brit changes his order,,,it does get noticed,

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Stop feeding the troll,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Ireland and its insecure stereotypes about the game of rugby. Boring, outdated and smacks of chippy-ness.

Insecure stereotypes about rugby? Really?

We're not in the the 1950's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Really. I can safely say it is presumptions such as that which is half the problem. Ireland and its insecure stereotypes about the game of rugby. Boring, outdated and smacks of chippy-ness.

Your mask is slipping, OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Bringing up the topics that the majority of AHers do not want to admit is clearly present. :pac: :pac:

Insecure stereotypes about rugby? Really?

We're not in the the 1950's.

It was a sly dig at the sports elevated status here. I remember trips to Ireland where it was hard to get to see anything outside the international window and now you have every tom dick and enda talking and acting like it is the most natural thing in the world. I am delighted to see its rise here in Ireland and it is amazing just how popular the game now is here. I can only see it getting bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

God thats another one. Every.****ing.Time. To my shame i've made a conscious effort to pronounce the "th" like they do just so i dont have it parroted back at me everytime.

Your mask is slipping, OP

Its posts like this that are a bit of a worry. I try to think what must be going through your head and why you are skeptical of people unless they fit the narrative of what you want things to be.
    Its these very ideas that fully back up the OP and further backs up my idea that these issues are a few generations away from being ironed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Really. I can safely say it is presumptions such as that which is half the problem. Ireland and its insecure stereotypes about the game of rugby. Boring, outdated and smacks of chippy-ness.

I don't eveb think you live here. Honestly. Rugby (Union) is more universal in ireland than Britain. I'm in a northside dublin pub where rugby is on right now.

And there are parts of the UK where a specific accent might get some hostility as a "union" accent. But we don't even play league.

Edit:

Apparantly munster are playing

Its posts like this that are a bit of a worry. I try to think what must be going through your head and why you are skeptical of people unless they fit the narrative of what you want things to be.
    Its these very ideas that fully back up the OP and further backs up my idea that these issues are a few generations away from being ironed out.

You post like someone from England with a preconceived version of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It was a sly dig at the sports elevated status here. I remember trips to Ireland where it was hard to get to see anything outside the international window and now you have every tom dick and enda talking and acting like it is the most natural thing in the world. I am delighted to see its rise here in Ireland and it is amazing just how popular the game now is here. I can only see it getting bigger.

Hello, and welcome to boards.

Congratulations on finding AH so quickly, and on making a thread in your first post.

I don't eveb think you live here. Honestly. Rugby (Union) is more universal in ireland than Britain. I'm in a northside dublin pub where rugby is on right now.

And there are parts of the UK where a specific accent might get some hostility as a "union" accent. But we don't even play league.

If you bothered to read my posts you would see i complemented the dramatic rise in the games popularity here.

It was a sly dig at the sports elevated status here. I remember trips to Ireland where it was hard to get to see anything outside the international window and now you have every tom dick and enda talking and acting like it is the most natural thing in the world.

Rugby has become far more popular since the game turned pro in the 1990s and the foundation of the Celtic League. Before that there were always club and schools games played here. Pretty much every mid-sized town has a rugby club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Nothing to do with religion, but I remember all too well the nastiness of the local children when we moved to Ireland. Blow ins was frequently thrown about, though my mother was from that town.

I would not subject my kids to that.

Edit:

Apparantly munster are playing

Pro 12...I must admit I don't religiously watch every game of that as it can be dull with the fringe players.

I prefer the AP and support Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Candie wrote: »
    Irish culture is all about the light hearted abuse. People generally take a bit of slagging in the spirit it's intended, and perhaps your perception of the intent behind the jokes needs a bit of adjustment.

The good news is that if you genuinely feel that you're being unfairly picked on to the extent that you prefer to be served by foreign nationals when out and about, that the option to move back to the UK is there for you.

No, Irish culture is about abuse pretending to be light hearted. Nastiness dressed up as "the Craic".

If you bothered to read my posts you would see i complemented the dramatic rise in the games popularity here.

That was extreme back peddling.

Rugby has become far more popular since the game turned pro in the 1990s and the foundation of the Celtic League. Before that there were always club and schools games played here. Pretty much every mid-sized town has a rugby club.

Its the same as most sports. I decent run of a few games post 2000 and everyone got into it. Normally this fades off when the nation goes bad again for a while but I sense the IRFU have laid some solid foundations that will see it stay quite strong. Being the only pro sport here of note helps. (no disrespect to GAA)

That was extreme back peddling.

Not really. You have extreme comprehension issues is all that it confirmed.

Pro 12...I must admit I don't religiously watch every game of that as it can be dull with the fringe players.

I prefer the AP and support Irish

........and yet those same fringe players won the Heineken Cup/European Cup so often that we had to change the format of the competition.

What absolute bounders! They should know their damn place!
    Its the same as most sports. I decent run of a few games post 2000 and everyone got into it. Normally this fades off when the nation goes bad again for a while but I sense the IRFU have laid some solid foundations that will see it stay quite strong. Being the only pro sport here of note helps. (no disrespect to GAA)

I think we're also pretty good with the gee-gees

........and yet those same fringe players won the Heineken Cup/European Cup so often that we had to change the format of the competition.

What absolute bounders! They should know their damn place!

I think we're also pretty good with the gee-gees

If you have a squad of players sitting on their arse all season and only wheeled out for the HEC/Inter Pros and Internationals it helps a fair bit. Qualification, fear of relegation and the weekly grind for results has clearly taken its toll. The Top 14 and AP can not be compared to the Pro 12. Maybe the new format might address the balance a little bit but i am not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Carry wrote: »
    I don't want to derail your English vs Irish thingy, but ...
    Have you tried a German accent? Want to know what I've got to hear when spirits are high (and the pints are flowing)?

Ms Merkel, it's your round, I've heard (which is a real insult, 'cause I don't like that woman either). No, I said, if I'm Ms Merkel, you pay, that's EU-rule. Message received, hilarity ensues. I pay my rounds, though.

Or I asked the unwilling (Irish) bf to help washing the windows, now. You're a right concentration camp warden, he said.
    Right, I said, no window washing, no potatoes for dinner for the next 800 years. - Well then, he said and chuckled ...

Not to mention the "impersonation of my accent" ...

What I want to say is not being so delicate about the Irish banter. If you hear something which you assume to be insulting, shoot back but keep it light. You'll get the knack eventually.
    And work on your sense of humour. If I could do it (being German :P) you should do it no time (being of Irish heritage).

tl;dr: Ve haff vays of making you laff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

As an English National of somewhat Irish heritage too, I don't recall ever hearing any such remarks except in a joking way.

Advertisement