Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarianism in the Republic of Ireland

Options
  • 21-02-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

*sorry...it was put in the wrong place by mistake

This partially about sectarianism but also about general anti British sentiment in Ireland.
    As a British national of Irish Heritage I encounter casual sectarianism/racism in Ireland fairly often mainly in the form of snide comments, impersonation of my southern English accent or just blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business.

With the amount of Irish who again have moved with children to the UK due to the recession and will mostly return with differing accents, I was wondering does the posters here believe it to be an issue here and do they perceive it to be getting better or worse?

I must add that I found English people who have regional accents seem to fair slightly better over here..why is that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It's as much an issue as the "snide comments, impersonation of my southern Irish accent" that Irish people encounter when they travel to the UK.

Across these isles there are thousands of gob****es. It's what unites us.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 contactbackup

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's as much an issue as the "snide comments, impersonation of my southern Irish accent" that Irish people encounter when they travel to the UK.

Across these isles there are thousands of gob****es. It's what unites us.

I never noticed that in the south of England but I am sure it is there. Here is is everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

My wife is english. She has never encountered any issues over here.
    Perhaps it is just you?

I'm English, with an obvious London accent. It's not racism when you're the same race but at worst I've had my accent slagged. I've also had my accent complimented.

Once or twice I've had some stupid and historically inaccurate stab made at holding me accountable for the old 800 years of oppression, but usually by drunks who just want to insult someone.

It's not an issue in my experience, and I've never been refused service in Ireland.

My wife is english. She has never encountered any issues over here.
    Perhaps it is just you?

Does she have a regional accent. I find they fair better. Geordie, Scouse, Manc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Does she have a regional accent. I find they fair better. Geordie, Scouse, Manc.

No, BBC english.

Candie wrote: »
    I'm English, with an obvious London accent. It's not racism when you're the same race but at worst I've had my accent slagged. I've also had my accent complimented.

Once or twice I've had some stupid and historically inaccurate stab made at holding me accountable for the old 800 years of oppression, but usually by drunks who just want to insult someone.

It's not an issue in my experience, and I've never been refused service in Ireland.

I also have never been refused service. Its just the nature of the service. I tend to prefer foreign nationals now if they are doing such jobs.

I also have never been refused service. Its just the nature of the service. I tend to prefer foreign nationals now if they are doing such jobs.

Maybe your own xenophobia is biting you on the ass there.

I've never had poor service that I can attribute to my nationality.

No, BBC english.

She speaks in a 1950's BBC tone....wonderful.

I was raised in Surrey and am sick of the references like "oh he wants the cricket on barman" and the comments about me taking a weeks morning for Margret Thatchers funeral.

I was working with the RAF many years but information like that I tend to keep very quiet when in social circles.

She speaks in a 1950's BBC tone....wonderful.

I was raised in Surrey and am sick of the references like "oh he wants the cricket on barman" and the comments about me taking a weeks morning for Margret Thatchers funeral.

I was working with the RAF many years but information like that I tend to keep very quiet when in social circles.

Irish culture is all about the light hearted abuse. People generally take a bit of slagging in the spirit it's intended, and perhaps your perception of the intent behind the jokes needs a bit of adjustment.

The good news is that if you genuinely feel that you're being unfairly picked on to the extent that you prefer to be served by foreign nationals when out and about, that the option to move back to the UK is there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

EIGHTHUNDREDYEARSAMIRITE!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

*sorry...it was put in the wrong place by mistake

This partially about sectarianism but also about general anti British sentiment in Ireland.
    As a British national of Irish Heritage I encounter casual sectarianism/racism in Ireland fairly often mainly in the form of snide comments, impersonation of my southern English accent or just blatantly being ignored in shops/bars when trying to go about my daily business.

With the amount of Irish who again have moved with children to the UK due to the recession and will mostly return with differing accents, I was wondering does the posters here believe it to be an issue here and do they perceive it to be getting better or worse?

I must add that I found English people who have regional accents seem to fair slightly better over here..why is that?

You poor delicate flower. It's not like i have people mimicing my accent and saying "potato" to me every five minutes or making jokes about me blowing up stuff. Oh wait i do. Difference being i dont start a thread towhinge about it.

The Brits dish it out more to us than we do to them. I wish we'd take the piss out of them more when they're in Ireland.

Irish culture is all about the light hearted abuse. People generally take a bit of slagging in the spirit it's intended, and perhaps your perception of the intent behind the jokes needs a bit of adjustment.

The good news is that if you genuinely feel that you're being unfairly picked on to the extent that you prefer to be served by foreign nationals when out and about, that the option to move back to the UK is there for you.

I have many Irish friends here and a fiancee. I do enjoy the country. My reference to the foreign nationals was mainly aimed at service industry work such as bar persons. If I swore more or cared who Wayne Rooney played for I'd far much better in their exchanges I suspect.

I'm not sure a return to blighty is on the cards in the near future but we are exploring other options such as a return to the Caribbean where we met.

I have many Irish friends here and a fiancee. I do enjoy the country. My reference to the foreign nationals was mainly aimed at service industry work such as bar persons. If I swore more or cared who Wayne Rooney played for I'd fair much better in their exchanges I suspect.

I'm not sure a return to blighty is on the cards in the near future but we are exploring other options such as a return to the Caribbean where we met.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You poor delicate flower. It's not like i have people mimicing my accent and saying "potato" to me every five minutes or making jokes about me blowing up stuff. Oh wait i do. Difference being i dont start a thread towhinge about it.

The Brits dish it out more to us than we do to them. I wish we'd take the piss out of them more when they're in Ireland.
    Facking Paddy Cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Working in slough at the moment... Digging across a major road crossing as we speak. Did one last weekend and was out until 9pm.... Main contractors supervisor "you can't beat the hungry paddys for this work" .

You sound a classy chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

If I swore more or cared who Wayne Rooney played for I'd far much better in their exchanges I suspect.

Any mention of Wayne Rooney will inevitably lead to a discussion of potatoes, which Irish people do not like being mentioned under any circumstances.

If I swore more or cared who Wayne Rooney played for I'd fair much better in their exchanges I suspect.

How come I don't swear or care about Wayne Rooney, or even drink for that matter, and I don't get the treatment you complain of? I think it's a question of perception.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It's not a sectarian thing OP. Or even an anti Home Counties English thing.

Those who react to your accent are just as likely to have a negative attitude on hearing an inner city Dublin accent, or, if they are from Dublin, someone with a Kerry, Limerick, Cavan..... accent.

There are ignorant pricks everywhere. That's all there is to it really.

• Advertisement

Working in slough at the moment... Digging across a major road crossing as we speak. Did one last weekend and was out until 9pm.... Main contractors supervisor "you can't beat the hungry paddys for this work" .

I take it you are trying to be funny. Its not 1976 and I seriously doubt Irish people dig roads much anymore.

Yeah, great. I'll really appreciate that since I've never made a 'joke' about blowing things up. Don't let that stop you though.

You sound a classy chap.

You sound like someone who cries into their pillow when someone makes fun of them. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I don't swear or care about Wayne Rooney, or even drink for that matter,
    get thee to a nunnery! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I take it you are trying to be funny. Its not 1976 and I seriously doubt Irish people dig roads much anymore.

They do as it happens and there's not a thing wrong with doing it

Hitchens wrote: »
    get thee to a nunnery! :D

I'm in the nunnery-scullery now, repenting my Englishness and wondering how I'll cope with cricket puns and Margaret Thatcher references.

Yeah, great. I'll really appreciate that since I've never made a 'joke' about blowing things up. Don't let that stop you though.

I won't. When you've heard the word "potato" in that stupid Keith Lemon for the 500th time this week you kind of don't care.

Maybe I should start walking up to English people and shout "Yorkshire Pudding" in a cockney accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

How do they road crossings in the fancy world you live in? Transponder beams? Levitation? The power of positive thinking?

I won't. When you've heard the word "potato" in that stupid Keith Lemon for the 500th time this week you kind of don't care.

Maybe I should start walking up to English people and shout "Yorkshire Pudding" in a cockney accent.

Ah that's ok so. It's perfectly fine to be a bit of a sh!t to random strangers on the off chance that they might be a bit of a sh!t to you.

• Advertisement

You sound like someone who cries into their pillow when someone makes fun of them. Go figure.

Do I....funny i am quite the opposite. I raised this issue as returning immigrants will slowly start to return and i was wondering are they prepared for the baggage that comes with their accents here.

Advertisement