Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭moaningmyrtle

pippip wrote: »
    I just switched to Sky this morning. UPC offered me the half price 6 month deal, wouldn't budge past that. Rang SKY and they basically matched it, all be it in a round about way with discounts. Delighted now as I'll have the dish installed for any future Freeview installments I might pursue.

I hadn't the best reception with UPC on windy days which they seemed unable to fix after 14 months of trying. That and also the Horizon box had started to get on my nerves.

I emailed in my upc cancellation a month ago and the only reply I got was a request for arranging a time to collect my equipment. No confirmation what so ever and not a single communication to see if I would alter my mind.

That's that sorted for another 12 months....will see you all again then. :)

Cancelled mine too as had gotten nowhere with a deal and to be honest I'm tired of negotiating every single year! All they had to do was offer me a reasonable discount and I would have stayed. They basically were charging me more in the end for less of a package ..and my bundle is fairly basic. Grrr...I hope they lose loads of customers ...they've had the market for far too long !!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Cancelled mine too as had gotten nowhere with a deal and to be honest I'm tired of negotiating every single year! All they had to do was offer me a reasonable discount and I would have stayed. They basically were charging me more in the end for less of a package ..and my bundle is fairly basic. Grrr...I hope they lose loads of customers ...they've had the market for far too long !!

Cancelled also and installed Saorview and dish

260 to enable 4 points in the house and I bought a ariva153 separately in eBay for 90

Will pay for itself in less than 10 months and it seems like a valid alternative so far

Stayed with UPC for broadband. Even if I didnt I would not remove any cabling, you never know; the way people's viewing habits are moving online I can imagine basic tv for free from upc in a few years as an incentive to choose their broadband....eircom are essentially doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Just off the phone them. Was paying 53.50 per mth for 120Mb BB, Select extra DVR HD etc, 2nd basic point and some phone package I never use.

Price was going up to 80 per month. Got 6mths half price 12 mth contract. So over the year a 60 per month price average. An extra 6.50 a mth for a few extra channels as they upgraded to max tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

My first bill after the increases went from €27 to €43. It was only supposed to go to €30. Check your bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... the way people's viewing habits are moving online I can imagine basic tv for free from upc in a few years as an incentive to choose their broadband...

+1. I think they will struggle to differentiate from the free alternatives with the flaky Horrorbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Cancelled also and installed Saorview and dish

260 to enable 4 points in the house and I bought a ariva153 separately in eBay for 90

Will pay for itself in less than 10 months and it seems like a valid alternative so far

Stayed with UPC for broadband. Even if I didnt I would not remove any cabling, you never know; the way people's viewing habits are moving online I can imagine basic tv for free from upc in a few years as an incentive to choose their broadband....eircom are essentially doing that

I'm thinking about going this route, but just worried a bit about the internal cabling, and associated disruption or damage. Was their much involved in enabing your 4 internal points? Are there any nice wireless distributor solutions, for a location where I really don't want to be ripping up walls and floors?

RainyDay wrote: »
    I'm thinking about going this route, but just worried a bit about the internal cabling, and associated disruption or damage. Was their much involved in enabing your 4 internal points? Are there any nice wireless distributor solutions, for a location where I really don't want to be ripping up walls and floors?

For two connections it was a drilling of an external wall. One connection was reused and the last was brought in to the attic under the eaves and dropped through attic floor to bedroom, behind a wardrobe. Not visible at all. Guy I got was excellent though

I wouldn't recommend it as a painfree alternative to upc; there's a lot of organising to do and time off work. But I feel upc were just getting too expensive. I've a lot of admiration for what upc has done for broadband in urban areas, but paying an additional 40-45 euro for basic TV is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Just off the phone them. Was paying 53.50 per mth for 120Mb BB, Select extra DVR HD etc, 2nd basic point and some phone package I never use.

Price was going up to 80 per month. Got 6mths half price 12 mth contract. So over the year a 60 per month price average. An extra 6.50 a mth for a few extra channels as they upgraded to max tv

don't forget when your deal is up in 12 months .. they will incease your bill to include your new max package tv and you are back to square one with trying to get deals of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

For two connections it was a drilling of an external wall. One connection was reused and the last was brought in to the attic under the eaves and dropped through attic floor to bedroom, behind a wardrobe. Not visible at all. Guy I got was excellent though

I wouldn't recommend it as a painfree alternative to upc; there's a lot of organising to do and time off work. But I feel upc were just getting too expensive. I've a lot of admiration for what upc has done for broadband in urban areas, but paying an additional 40-45 euro for basic TV is nonsense

Thanks, are you in the Dublin area? Just curious as to why there was a lot of time off work - was it more than a 1-day job?

RainyDay wrote: »
    Thanks, are you in the Dublin area? Just curious as to why there was a lot of time off work - was it more than a 1-day job?

Yes, South dublin

Half day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

OK, so I haven't read through much of this thread so apologies if this has been asked before.

I previously had the half price offer on the Horizon Select Extra 120 which included;

- 120 Mb unlimited BB
    - Horizon Max tv
    - Home Phone (Don't use it as I don't have a land line)

I was paying €35 per month (€420 pa) which I know was a great deal.

I'm coming off contract on 20th February and made a call to the loyalty department.

The new offer is as follows,

Same package as i'm currently on with;

- €37 for 6 months rising to €70 for the other half of the year which averages out to €53.50 per month (€642 pa).

I did ask about reducing channels and Broadband speed in order to reduce the cost but was told that that would increase the price overall.

The question is, is anyone who was on the same or similar deal last year getting any better offers than the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

OK, so I haven't read through much of this thread so apologies if this has been asked before.

I previously had the half price offer on the Horizon Select Extra 120 which included;

- 120 Mb unlimited BB
    - Horizon Max tv
    - Home Phone (Don't use it as I don't have a land line)

I was paying €35 per month (€420 pa) which I know was a great deal.

I'm coming off contract on 20th February and made a call to the loyalty department.

The new offer is as follows,

Same package as i'm currently on with;

- €37 for 6 months rising to €70 for the other half of the year which averages out to €53.50 per month (€642 pa).

I did ask about reducing channels and Broadband speed in order to reduce the cost but was told that that would increase the price overall.

The question is, is anyone who was on the same or similar deal last year getting any better offers than the above?

If that's the deal then it doesn't get better than that. I got 120MB BB, Horizon Max and Phone (as with you, unused) for €40 for 6 months, rising to €80.

I got same deal as frclintpower

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Cheers Guys,

Sounds like i'm doing well then with that deal.

My other option would be to sign up as a new customer to get the Broadband only deal for 120Mb unlimited which is €20pm for 4 months followed by €40pm after that which is €400pa.

With the current offer I am already getting that and the TV for an equivalent of an extra €20pm.

Probably stick with UPC in spite of the ridiculously pathetic Horizon interface.

Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

On a slight tangent I know, but has anyone ever heard of this situation?

I recently moved into a new apartment block. The landlord told me that for some reason you can get basic TV channels and 30mb internet from the the UPC wall connection in the apartment without needing a UPC account.

The only problem I have is that if I cancel my current subscription UPC will ask for the horizon box back and I won't have any equipment to get the internet or TV through. I know I could buy a modem for the internet but would a freesat box work if plugged into a UPC wall connnection?

Well a freesat box won't work. I doubt he's correct in his assertion that you'd get 30mb broadband for free. Great if it works. With all the horizon updates there's plenty of old UPC modem boxes out there if u check th usual selling sites. Suppose if u pick one up for 15-20euro it's worth a try. Mine went off to weee recycling just before Christmas otherwise I'd offer that to u.

Presume the channels are 12-15 analogue stations

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

I managed to get the same deal as many others with the half price for six months. When I asked if I'd get anything in writing, they said "no, it's a verbal contract" and I could get the transcripts if needs be etc.

While they repeated the details of the offer back, the length of the contract wasn't stipulated, anyone know what the situation with this is? would I be free to leave in six months if I choose to? or is there a standard contract length, regardless of it not being stated on the call?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

12 month contract. 18 for some new customers (I think it's if they get a discount and pick broadband only, it's says somewhere in their terms).

Monotype wrote: »
    12 month contract. 18 for some new customers (I think it's if they get a discount and pick broadband only, it's says somewhere in their terms).

But if they don't state that, surely it can't be enforced?

Sidd wrote: »
    But if they don't state that, surely it can't be enforced?

Verbal contract is enforceable.

Incidentally your contract end isn't viewable anywhere in your bill, or online account. I had to ask support for the specific date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

beauf wrote: »
    Verbal contract is enforceable.

Incidentally your contract end isn't viewable anywhere in your bill, or online account. I had to ask support for the specific date.

It's enforceable yea, if they state it.

If they didn't state it they will lose if you pull out and they fight you on it. They should be telling you the contract details on the recorded call.

Well that another route get a copy of the recorded call. See if they mention its a 12 or 18 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

anyone get multiroom thrown in free no?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Sidd wrote: »
    I managed to get the same deal as many others with the half price for six months. When I asked if I'd get anything in writing, they said "no, it's a verbal contract" and I could get the transcripts if needs be etc.

While they repeated the details of the offer back, the length of the contract wasn't stipulated, anyone know what the situation with this is? would I be free to leave in six months if I choose to? or is there a standard contract length, regardless of it not being stated on the call?

Did you threaten to cancel first?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Rang there after lunch. Said I had received the letter about price increases a few weeks back, the letter wasn't dated. To be honest it was probably over the 30 days.

Guy started off by saying 'well I can make you an offer, I assume that's why your ringing'. Offered half price bundle for 4 months. Said as I already had discounted sky sports he couldn't do anything on that - I have some fiver off offer that he said you can't get anymore. I said can you do 6 mths and straight away says yes.

Took 10 mins. Saving of €195 in total. Worked out cheaper and less hassle than cancelling and getting gf to sign up as new customer.
    Oh yeah, and guy explicitly stated, as early as when offering the 4 mths, that I was committingto a new 12 mth contract. Repeated it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

So I renegogiated in Jan and now they say they can't honour ther deal I was given- where do I stand on this? pack of jokers

They are going back over the recordings so should hear back in 3 days

Did you threaten to cancel first?

I didn't get the chance to be honest. I advised I was calling as I'd recently received a letter about an increase. Straight away they advised they could upgrade etc. I wasn't happy with the original offer so advised I'd had a better offer from Sky, they put me through to another department and got the deal (which is better than the Sky Friends & Family one). Was polite but firm and they seemed grand about it, they're obviously well drilled at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

What is the best offer you have got recently for 120MB boradband +phone (or without phone) as my previous discount ends this month and I want to ask for another one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

mirec wrote: »
    What is the best offer you have got recently for 120MB boradband +phone as my previous discount ends this month and I want to ask for another one ?

They offered me €30 for 6 months and €40 after that. For phone I have package of anytime national calls plus 400 international minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Just off the phone from upc, I told cancellation s the only thing that would keep me with upc was Ulf price for 6 months. Got my internet and phone for half price for 6 months. So €20 for 6 months and €40 for 6 months. works out at €30 a month over the year.

Advertisement