Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural Impact of Gaelscoils

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

eire4 wrote: »
    There may or may not be more Polish spoken in Ireland. I do not profess to know if that is or is not the case. You however provide no evidence for your claim that you have now presented as "fact" moving from what you said you "suspect" previously.
    It depends on whether or not you count all the people who claim to be able to speak Irish, based on their Leaving Cert results, but don't actually speak it much, if at all.
    If you only count people who are actually using an alternative language on a daily basis, outside of the school gates, then more are speaking Polish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

There may or may not be more Polish spoken in Ireland. I do not profess to know if that is or is not the case. You however provide no evidence for your claim that you have now presented as "fact" moving from what you said you "suspect" previously.

For someone who claims to love Irish you sure like to mock it.

"Let's keep it real, the Irish speaking community outside the Gaeltacht could hold their AGM in a phone box. "

I will ask again a question I asked earlier that you chose to ignore:

Are you suggesting that because Irish is an everyday language used only by a minority in Ireland that we should shut down Gaelscoileanna and stop teaching Irish in our schools?
    I'm not making a "claim", just expressing an opinion. But put it this way, I've heard plenty people speaking Polish in the street and in the supermarket and in my workplace. I cant think of the last time I heard someone speaking Irish.

I never suggested for a moment that we stop teaching Irish or shut down Gaelscoileanna. Why would I? Irish is a lovely language and our heritage. But it's never going to become a language of daily use by more than a handful of people. All I'm saying is that people should be realistic about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

recedite wrote: »
    It depends on whether or not you count all the people who claim to be able to speak Irish, based on their Leaving Cert results, but don't actually speak it much, if at all.
    If you only count people who are actually using an alternative language on a daily basis, outside of the school gates, then more are speaking Polish.

Fair enough good link there. Hopefully over time the emerging growth of Gaelscoil will see an increase in the numbers speaking Irish on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Seeing the revival started in the Belfast linan halls I'd be interested to see if Protestantism is viewed more positively in these schools.

katydid wrote: »
    I'm not making a "claim", just expressing an opinion. But put it this way, I've heard plenty people speaking Polish in the street and in the supermarket and in my workplace. I cant think of the last time I heard someone speaking Irish.

I never suggested for a moment that we stop teaching Irish or shut down Gaelscoileanna. Why would I? Irish is a lovely language and our heritage. But it's never going to become a language of daily use by more than a handful of people. All I'm saying is that people should be realistic about that.

"Let's keep it real, the Irish speaking community outside the Gaeltacht could hold their AGM in a phone box. "

That is mocking Irish not making a claim or stating an opinion. If you wanted to state an opinion you could easily have done so but you chose to mock Irish instead.

I never suggested that you said we should stop teaching Irish or shut down Gaelscoileanna I simply asked you the question and now we have your answer you do not think we should do either of those things.

As for you last point which may or may not turn out to be correct. So what if Irish is only a language of a minority of Irish people in terms of being a medium through which they live their daily lives. That is a fact of what the current status of Irish is today. There is a definite growth in Gaelscoileanna which hopefully will continue to grow and see a greater use of Irish among a greater number of Irish people. Where eactly that will take the language time will tell.

Let me ask another question would you like to see Irish develop over time to a point where most Irish people were at least bilingial?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Alright alright calm down.

Of course gaelscoileanna favour people who speak Irish in the home. What's more they explicitly express this favour in their admissions policies.

There's nothing wrong with not speaking Irish in the home but your chances of being admitted are greater if you do because it is favoured.

just to give you my personal experience i would say the Gaelscoil my daughter is in has no such policy, instead they encourage irish speaking at home by running night classes for parents with no irish and a separate one for those who want to improve theirs, they even run ones for parents who don't speak english.

because they immerse the children in irish from the start it doesn't really matter what language the children start with they will all learn together. their enrollment reflects this view.

also as i said previously they accepted me when i had no history of irish speaking in my family never mind actually speaking it at home. and this year i know of an irish speaking family who missed out on a junior infant place as they were so over subscribed so if they were doing what you said and favouring those with irish speaking in the home, this situation wouldn't have arisen.

That is mocking Irish not making a claim or stating an opinion. If you wanted to state an opinion you could easily have done so but you chose to mock Irish instead.

I never suggested that you said we should stop teaching Irish or shut down Gaelscoileanna I simply asked you the question and now we have your answer you do not think we should do either of those things.

As for you last point which may or may not turn out to be correct. So what if Irish is only a language of a minority of Irish people in terms of being a medium through which they live their daily lives. That is a fact of what the current status of Irish is today. There is a definite growth in Gaelscoileanna which hopefully will continue to grow and see a greater use of Irish among a greater number of Irish people. Where eactly that will take the language time will tell.

Let me ask another question would you like to see Irish develop over time to a point where most Irish people were at least bilingial?
    How on earth is that "mocking"? It was hyperbole, a joke...you need to get some perspective here.

Nothing wrong with Irish being a language of the minority in Ireland. Even better if it were a language of the majority, but that will never happen. All I'm saying is that people who talk as if gaelscoileanna are going to make a significant difference need a reality check.

How on earth is that "mocking"? It was hyperbole, a joke...you need to get some perspective here.

Nothing wrong with Irish being a language of the minority in Ireland. Even better if it were a language of the majority, but that will never happen. All I'm saying is that people who talk as if gaelscoileanna are going to make a significant difference need a reality check.

If the above was supposed to be a joke where was a smiley face or somthing to indicate that and why start with the words " lets keep it real" and then in a condescending mocking manner you belittle the size of the Irish speaking community. At least take ownership of what you said. You want to mock Irish speakers fine go ahead thats your prerogative. But take ownership at least of what you said.

You make another sweeping statement of fact regarding what will happen in the future saying Irish will never be the language of the majority. That may indeed be the case and is certainly the case right now. But who knows in a few generations if the Gaelscoileanna continue to grow maybe we will see more then 51% of the population at least bilingual.
    Obviously nobody can predict the future of our language with certainty but I ask again the below question.

Would you like to see Irish develop over time to a point where most Irish people were at least bilingual?

If the above was supposed to be a joke where was a smiley face or somthing to indicate that and why start with the words " lets keep it real" and then in a condescending mocking manner you belittle the size of the Irish speaking community. At least take ownership of what you said. You want to mock Irish speakers fine go ahead thats your prerogative. But take ownership at least of what you said.

You make another sweeping statement of fact regarding what will happen in the future saying Irish will never be the language of the majority. That may indeed be the case and is certainly the case right now. But who knows in a few generations if the Gaelscoileanna continue to grow maybe we will see more then 51% of the population at least bilingual.
    Obviously nobody can predict the future of our language with certainty but I ask again the below question.

Would you like to see Irish develop over time to a point where most Irish people were at least bilingual?

:):):):):)

Enough smiley faces for you?

I am a realist. The Irish speaking community outside the Gaeltacht is tiny and will always be small even if it expands a little. That is reality and no amount of wishful thinking is going to change it.

You can predict the future of any minority language pretty accurately by looking at patterns and precedents. Unless there is huge motivation to alter the situation, such as in Israel, the only direction a minority language struggling in a sea of a very dominant language like English goes is down. Where is Cornish?
    I am a linguist, I love languages, and I love Irish, the oldest still spoken language in Europe, but love and wishing and hoping don't change things. If Irish were to be revived and if the majority of the Irish population were to become bilingual, it would have happened by now, after almost a hundred years of compulsory Irish in schools.

Whatever chance it had before the advent of modern technology and the widespread use of English in that context, it hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of developing significantly beyond its current level in this country.

Those are not sweeping statements, they are facts.

:):):):):)

Enough smiley faces for you?

I am a realist. The Irish speaking community outside the Gaeltacht is tiny and will always be small even if it expands a little. That is reality and no amount of wishful thinking is going to change it.

You can predict the future of any minority language pretty accurately by looking at patterns and precedents. Unless there is huge motivation to alter the situation, such as in Israel, the only direction a minority language struggling in a sea of a very dominant language like English goes is down. Where is Cornish?
    I am a linguist, I love languages, and I love Irish, the oldest still spoken language in Europe, but love and wishing and hoping don't change things. If Irish were to be revived and if the majority of the Irish population were to become bilingual, it would have happened by now, after almost a hundred years of compulsory Irish in schools.

Whatever chance it had before the advent of modern technology and the widespread use of English in that context, it hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of developing significantly beyond its current level in this country.

Those are not sweeping statements, they are facts.

All your smiley faces do now is show that you still won't take ownership of your mocking of Irish.

As for your so called facts they are indeed sweeping statements made about the future which nobody can make with any certainty. You may indeed be correct and Irish does not develop to the point where the majority can speak it fluently. But you may also be wrong only time will tell.
    Talking about Irish in schools only brings up the incompetence of the Irish government for so long in that area as their idea of revival of the language was for so long to ram it down everyones throats. Hardly the kind of approach to lead to positive results for any subject. More recent governments attitudes seem to be more of the at best pay lip service but not actually do anything or care. The growing Gaelscoileanna movement may or may not make a big impact on future generations ability to speak Irish in significantly increasing numbers we will have to see. But it is a positive development.

I noticed that you claim to love Irish but could not bring yourself to answer the question:

"Would you like to see Irish develop over time to a point where most Irish people were at least bilingual?"

In any case you seem very determined to tell everyone that Irish is never going to develop and prosper as a language and that a significant number and or majority will never speak the language and seem very determined to claim that stance and opinion you have as fact.

I would have thought for someone who claims to love Irish any signs of growth such as the current Gaelscoileanna growth would be a positive thing and something to be happy about not to bash on the head. So what if the growth of Gaelscoileanna is not the panacea for the Irish language it is a positive sign for now and the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

Surely it's hardly controversial to consider Irish pretty much a dead language, or at best on life support?
    I noticed that you claim to love Irish but could not bring yourself to answer the question:

"Would you like to see Irish develop over time to a point where most Irish people were at least bilingual?"

I think a better question for Irish people in general is "How much effort are you prepared to make to speak Irish well enough to be considered bilingual?"

I think the answer is "very little to none" for most people.

Learning Irish is never going to be useful the way other languages are useful - I'm extremely unlikely to find myself in a part of Ireland where the natives don't speak English. In fact the evidence seems to be that even in Gaeltacht areas, young people pretty much switch to English once they get above a certain age, even if they grew up in Irish speaking households.
    In any case you seem very determined to tell everyone that Irish is never going to develop and prosper as a language and that a significant number and or majority will never speak the language and seem very determined to claim that stance and opinion you have as fact.
    Irish, for most people, might as well be Latin or Greek in that it has very little utility, and is being learnt primarily for cultural or academic reasons. As such it's extremely unlikely to become a mainstream language again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Irish will always be a language only for an interested minority for as long as the career benefits of learning a major European language outweigh the benefits of learning Irish. Gaelscoils won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Irish will always be a language only for an interested minority for as long as the career benefits of learning a major European language outweigh the benefits of learning Irish. Gaelscoils won't change that.

What career benefits would those be? For example in IT the default Lingua Franca is English. Learning a European language in such a case is worthless, time would be better of spent mastering a "proper language" such as C.

dubhthach wrote: »
    What career benefits would those be? For example in IT the default Lingua Franca is English. Learning a European language in such a case is worthless, time would be better of spent mastering a "proper language" such as C.
    I don't know about IT but I know in my office having a European language to liaise with continental clients is a plus. Obviously there are jobs that require Irish but these are few and far between. Learning a European language opens up a lot more doors than Irish would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Theres one thing its not doing and that keeping the language alive.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I don't know about IT but I know in my office having a European language to liaise with continental clients is a plus. Obviously there are jobs that require Irish but these are few and far between. Learning a European language opens up a lot more doors than Irish would.

If education is solely about economics and jobs (as oppose I don't know expanding someones horizon through exposure to knowledge and learning) as you seem to be implying than all languages other than English should be dropped from the curriculum. Our largest trading partners after all are the US followed by the UK.

Speaking English opens far more doors than any other European language, what use is French dealing with people in Eastern Europe, for example in Poland whose economy grew by over 40% between 2005 and 2013? (Let alone Sweden, Denmark or Netherlands). Heck we export about 50% more to Germany than we do to France let 4 times as many people do French in School than German.

Of course some people such as German President Joachim Gauck think that English should be made the official language of the EU.

How it works in IT industry is simple, if you want to (a) take advantage of Irish tax evasion methods, then (b) you hire native speakers from relevant countries pay for relocation costs, help with accommodation etc.

Result:
    1. Happy customers dealing with Jack from Lyon, as oppose to Dortsider Jack with his "school French"
    2. Happy employee's -- get to work in US multinational, good for the CV -- get to live in English speaking country good for their English.
    3. Happy host country (that would be us) -- more income tax receipts, new and interesting colleagues, better cuisine on offer, improved gene-pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gaelgangnuis

If education is solely about economics and jobs (as oppose I don't know expanding someones horizon through exposure to knowledge and learning) as you seem to be implying than all languages other than English should be dropped from the curriculum. Our largest trading partners after all are the US followed by the UK.

Speaking English opens far more doors than any other European language, what use is French dealing with people in Eastern Europe, for example in Poland whose economy grew by over 40% between 2005 and 2013? (Let alone Sweden, Denmark or Netherlands). Heck we export about 50% more to Germany than we do to France let 4 times as many people do French in School than German.

Of course some people such as German President Joachim Gauck think that English should be made the official language of the EU.

How it works in IT industry is simple, if you want to (a) take advantage of Irish tax evasion methods, then (b) you hire native speakers from relevant countries pay for relocation costs, help with accommodation etc.

Result:
    1. Happy customers dealing with Jack from Lyon, as oppose to Dortsider Jack with his "school French"
    2. Happy employee's -- get to work in US multinational, good for the CV -- get to live in English speaking country good for their English.
    3. Happy host country (that would be us) -- more income tax receipts, new and interesting colleagues, better cuisine on offer, improved gene-pool!

I recently listened to an interesting podcast on Freekanomics that discussed learning second languages, the general gist was that while learning any language is worthwhile in terms of cultural enrichment etc, in economic/earning potential terms, you're better off learning a minority language because of the point above. Learn a major language and you're competing with a large pool of highly qualified native speakers.

Learn a minority language and there will be a much smaller pool of qualified native speakers and more opportunities (relatively) for learners to find a niche in which to find employment.
    Apparently learners of a minority language can enjoy a greater income benefit from learning that language than learners of a major language.

Result:
    I didn't say education is solely about economics and jobs. Nor did I say speaking French is more valuable than speaking English. What I did say is that Irish will always be a minority language for as long as the career benefits of learning a major European language outweigh the benefits of learning Irish. Outside the public sector Irish is almost totally non existent.

You seem to be implying MNC's only look for native speaking people when loking for speakers of a foreign language. In my experience working for an MNC this is not the case, fluency and the ability to demonstrate fluency are required but being a native speaker from a foreign country is not.

I recently listened to an interesting podcast on Freekanomics that discussed learning second languages, the general gist was that while learning any language is worthwhile in terms of cultural enrichment etc, in economic/earning potential terms, you're better off learning a minority language because of the point above. Learn a major language and you're competing with a large pool of highly qualified native speakers.

Learn a minority language and there will be a much smaller pool of qualified native speakers and more opportunities (relatively) for learners to find a niche in which to find employment.
    Apparently learners of a minority language can enjoy a greater income benefit from learning that language than learners of a major language.
    A very good and well explained point but I can't see its relevance as irish is mostly supported by an economy that operates almost entirely in english. It's like that old piece of Granny's furniture that no one likes but no one wants to ditch in case someone is offended.

Spending the time currently spent on French (or in minority cases on German) on improving english language literacy (not Macbeth or Paradise Lost -- both of which I enjoyed for cultural reasons) economically outweighs the case for money spent on teaching French/German in the school system.

27,000 students did French last year in the Leaving Cert, how many are fluent? Probably less than 1% (heck I'd go for 0.1%), the average secondary school student will only achieve about 400-500 hours of language contact with French (or German) during their schooling, it's generally believe that you need at least 5,000 hours of language contact for fluency. As the Irish system "teaches to the exam" I'd imagine even those 500 hours aren't that great.

What percentage of Irish Leaving Cert students over the last 15 years are working in a job that requires them to use the continental language they learnt in school (be it French, German or even smaller number of cases Spanish)? You're probably looking at less than 1% (or if we are been kind low single digits).

Ergo been forced to learn a continental language during secondary school (along with such things as requiring one for entering into non-humanities degrees in University) provides no benefits to the vast majority of Irish students from an economical or career point of view.
    Sure it probably provides some cultural benefits, but I doubt that they are using Engrenages (Spiral), Maison Close or Les Particules élémentaires (Atomised) as a teaching aid in French class.

As for our tax-dodging friends in American Multinational sector, well sure they'll hire you if ye have fluency and there's no other candidate, however why would they hire an Irish candidate over a native speaker of French who is equally skilled in all the other requirements for a role that involves spending 6-8 hours a day dealing with French people in France? Unless of course that Irish person had just after coming back home from living several years in a Francophone country.

Take a stroll down Barrow street and check out the French (or German) departments managing sales/customer support/accounts of a certain large IT Multinational, how many of those staff members sat the Leaving Cert I wonder.

After all said MNC's often tout the fact that one of reason's they like Dublin is the fact that due to clustering effect going on here that they've no problem getting people to relocate from the continent. (that and we allow them route their profits nice and cleanly to the holding account in Bermuda)

• Advertisement

The best way to learn a language is immersion, although I do know a savant who learns new languages fluently over the internet for kicks. I believe he's fully conversant in 8-9 languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ezra_pound wrote: »
    If you're so concerned about maths then maybe you should bring your kids to the Gael Scoil!

Well, along with a good education, I'm also concerned with not having a bunch of mini-racists become friends for my children...

If parents on the open day expressly tells me their reason for going to the gaelscoil is to avoid foreigners, it's a pretty good indicator of what kind of bull is going to emit from their offspring.

pwurple wrote: »
    Well, along with a good education, I'm also concerned with not having a bunch of mini-racists become friends for my children...

If parents on the open day expressly tells me their reason for going to the gaelscoil is to avoid foreigners, it's a pretty good indicator of what kind of bull is going to emit from their offspring.
    I've got to agree with that, i've heard that anti-foreigner reason enough times from parents to believe that these schools will the nuclei for future white trash slums.

catbear wrote: »
    I've got to agree with that, i've heard that anti-foreigner reason enough times from parents to believe that these schools will the nuclei for future white trash slums.

Jaysuz ye Bearloirí need to get your story together, first we are told that people wanting to have their children educated through the medium of Irish are elitist, now we hear they are white thrash, living in slums. Sounds like a return to the narrative of a only peasants speak Irish.

It's funny though how some of recent research has shown that children of foreign nationals (or where at least one parent were born abroad) do better at Irish after the age of 7 than their Irish peer group in Bearloirí schools. No doubt as they don't have Bearloirí parents telling them "it's a waste of time, it's a dead language, only peasants/white thrash speak it, Peig!!!!".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

,,, only peasants/white thrash speak it, Peig!!!!".
    I feel it only fair to point out that if you'd attended an English speaking school you would know that there's a difference between the verb 'thrash'(moving in a violent and unpredictable way)
    ..and the noun I think you meant 'trash'(rubbish /refuse/ a person of low morals).
    ;)

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I feel it only fair to point out that if you'd attended an English speaking school you would know that there's a difference between the verb 'thrash'(moving in a violent and unpredictable way)
    ..and the noun I think you meant 'trash'(rubbish /refuse/ a person of low morals).
    ;)

Nawh was listening to Slayer's magnus opus "Reign in Blood" there, Thrash Metal on the brain can do that to you ;)

I should point out I attended both Irish and English medium schools, after all there didn't exist a Gaelcholáiste in Galway City (or county) until circa 1994.

Children of immigrants have more incentive to work harder. The extra % for for exams through Irish is another extra incentive.

A Malay Chinese told me how when they were young the majority Malay kids were given extra % to help them catch up with Chinese Malay kids. This incentivised chinese Malay kids to study harder while Malay kids felt they didn't have to study as hard with the free %. The gap actually widened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

pwurple wrote: »

I would agree with you entirely. I would never send my kids to school with the children of racists. However, from my personal experience this is not a factor in why parents send their children to our local gaelscoil.

catbear wrote: »
    Children of immigrants have more incentive to work harder. The extra % for for exams through Irish is another extra incentive.

A Malay Chinese told me how when they were young the majority Malay kids were given extra % to help them catch up with Chinese Malay kids. This incentivised chinese Malay kids to study harder while Malay kids felt they didn't have to study as hard with the free %. The gap actually widened.

Children of migrants unless they attend a Gaelcholáiste (and a Gaelscoil before that) aren't gonna get opportunity to sit the Leaving Cert through Irish (so none of those extra mythical points). In general "new Irish" have more positive view of the language as they see it as part of the historical/cultural framework of the country that they now call home. So for example I've seen interviews on tv with guys from Nigeria who are doing Irish classes in their local school as they believe (a) it helps them integrate into framework of Irish society (b) to set an example to their children

As for Points race, simple solution abolition the Leaving Cert. Anyways the system works as following:
    Bonus marks at the rate of 10 per cent of the marks obtained will be given to a candidate who obtains less than 75 per cent of the total marks in the case of the following subjects:- Latin, Greek, Classical Studies, Hebrew Studies, History, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, Physics and Chemistry, Biology, Science, Business, Economics, Economic History, Agricultural Science, Agricultural Economics, Home Economics, Music, Business Studies, History and Appreciation of Art, Civic, Social and Political Education, Religious Education, Arabic, LCVP Link Modules - written component only.

Bonus marks at the rate of 5 per cent will be given to a candidate who obtains less than 75 per cent of the total marks in the case of the following subjects:- French, German, Italian, Spanish, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Accounting, Engineering, Construction Studies, Materials Technology (Wood), Metalwork, Junior Certificate Technology, Leaving Certificate Technology, Typewriting, Russian and Japanese.

Above 75 per cent the bonus will be subjected to a uniform reduction until the candidate who scores 100 per cent gets no bonus.

From what I recall of article about this over 50% of students who do the Leaving in Irish get no grade increases, of course if you got 71% in your Maths exam (B3 -- 75 points) the 5% increase would only bring you up to 74.55% in which case you are still a B3 -- 75 points.

If for exam you get 6 A2 in the Leaving you probably won't see any grade increase at all.

The excuse for it is due to lack of resources for those sitting the exam in Irish, would be better off printing proper textbooks for the curriculum/exam notes (you won't find exam notes/past papers with sample answers published in Irish).

Again though the simple solution is abolish the Leaving Cert (as well as the Junior Cert) and adapt a more modern education system such as what they have in the Netherlands when it comes to University matriculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement