Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that RTE are making a report?

That's all we need after the last shambolic prime time hatchet job they did on shooting in Ireland in 2007....What with "rock ape" expert Tom Clonan stating .308 rifles can shoot accurately up to five miles. Then writing a coy article in the iris times saying well actually that wasn't true and the Midlands rifle lads are actually sound.....Prime time film crews should be shown the gate from any range in Ireland.Wouldn't pee on them if their their heads were on fire and their asses catching 😠..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Strider wrote: »
    It's actually better that HH was second because any of that could be corrected by the lads there, instead of them going to HH...seeing firearms like ours then going to the Phoenix Park and the guards trying to convince them they were lied to and X and Y could be licenced leaving us no chance to correct it.

I suppose it won't make much of a much..AGS will try to fill them with bull manure either way.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that RTE are making a report?
    Apparently so, but I don't know when it's planned for or what RTE are doing with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Am i completely naive/missing the point or is this not proving our point about scumbags bringing in their own guns and not having to steal ours?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

It pretty much does but I'll bet someone hinted that this means criminals are using 9mm pistols and so might steal them from licenced shooters.

The fact that they can get them more easily and readily elsewhere probably wasn't mentioned. And I don't know if anyone in HH would have had time to hear the details of the haul and guess what they'd been shown; genuinely, there just wasn't very much reaction time there.

The picture in the link above shows 2 handguns and three sub machine guns.

The two handguns were got far, FAR easier than we can get them and without the risk/hassle of a break in not to mention identifying who has such a gun here.

As for the three machine guns. Completely illegal here, cannot be licensed so how can anyone, TD/Senator, etc compare them to our guns? Rhetorical question, but you still needs to be said/asked. .
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

one of them isnt a machine gun though it is a gsg5 .22lr semi... still it proves that firearms are much easier to buy on the street than stealing from licence holders.

So who of the comittee went to AGS and HH?? A bit of info on the days events by someone un offical or offical would be nice??
    as for the 9mm "could be stolen" lark Two things.9mm is proably the most common CF round in western Europe /Middle east,so its not surprising that you could get the guns for it without too much problem either. Criminals will use anything that shoots and is available there and then and that they can afford.if someone was building Zip guns and selling them cheaply they would use them too.

Also rumour hassit,that it is not the guns that are the problem,but getting fresh working ammo for them in Ireland in the quantity needed for" Irish hitmen":rolleyes: with their famous "spray and pray" assaination method is!

The black market like anything else suffers from supply and demand,and globally 9mm ammo is still a high demand market item,courtsey of the still ongoing fun 'n games in "Ghanistan and recently the Ukraine is sucking up surplus ammo and more intresting stuff like Quick Clot or Celeox wound treatment.[BTW either of those two brands should be in everyones hunting or range bag or at home in the 1st aid box.]So until global conflict simmers down again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So who of the comittee went to AGS and HH?? A bit of info on the days events by someone un offical or offical would be nice??
    as for the 9mm "could be stolen" lark Two things.9mm is proably the most common CF round in western Europe /Middle east,so its not surprising that you could get the guns for it without too much problem either. Criminals will use anything that shoots and is available there and then and that they can afford.if someone was building Zip guns and selling them cheaply they would use them too.

Also rumour hassit,that it is not the guns that are the problem,but getting fresh working ammo for them in Ireland in the quantity needed for" Irish hitmen":rolleyes: with their famous "spray and pray" assaination method is!

The black market like anything else suffers from supply and demand,and globally 9mm ammo is still a high demand market item,courtsey of the still ongoing fun 'n games in "Ghanistan and recently the Ukraine is sucking up surplus ammo and more intresting stuff like Quick Clot or Celeox wound treatment.[BTW either of those two brands should be in everyones hunting or range bag or at home in the 1st aid box.]So until global conflict simmers down again.....

I heard that is the reason why there is no (widespread) reloading in Ireland.

• Advertisement

So who of the comittee went to AGS and HH?
    HH, no idea (come on lads, I know you're here :P )
    AGS, Dave Stanton, Alan Farrell, Niall Collins, Padraig MacLochlainn. No sign of Finian McGrath, Sean Kenny or anyone else in the official photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sparks wrote: »
    AGS, Dave Stanton, Alan Farrell, Niall Collins, Padraig MacLochlainn. No sign of Finian McGrath, Sean Kenny or anyone else in the official photos.

Didn't even have the 'manners' to show up :pac:

No scandal in it, and hard to cry wolf complain about public safety when on a range and surrounded by professionals that know what they are doing.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I heard that is the reason why there is no (widespread) reloading in Ireland.

Doesnt say much for our criminal masterminds either does it.If I was a gang boss and I'm paying ridicilous money to get me drugs and shooters in here and employing a muppet to go out and shoot my opposition[Which is dumb fk thinking first off!Why bring unwelcome attention from the Gaurds and everyone else on my head while I'm dealing illegal narcotics?] and this fool cant hit nothing at close range with a sMG or handgun.I'd be more inclined to get them the most idiot proof leathl weapon possible for up close and personal work out there and that possibly Farmer Murphy will have left behind his back door with a box of shells.IOW a sawn off single or DBBL shotgun.Feck it,you can even make one out of water pipe and someone will get or leave around a box of shells.Lot less hassle[apart from the nicking bit],cheaper and no loss if it is dumped.
    Or is it like anyone else here a "Keeping up with the Scobes" mentality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭Heckler

Doesnt say much for our criminal masterminds either does it.If I was a gang boss and I'm paying ridicilous money to get me drugs and shooters in here and employing a muppet to go out and shoot my opposition[Which is dumb fk thinking first off!Why bring unwelcome attention from the Gaurds and everyone else on my head while I'm dealing illegal narcotics?] and this fool cant hit nothing at close range with a sMG or handgun.I'd be more inclined to get them the most idiot proof leathl weapon possible for up close and personal work out there and that possibly Farmer Murphy will have left behind his back door with a box of shells.IOW a sawn off single or DBBL shotgun.Feck it,you can even make one out of water pipe and someone will get or leave around a box of shells.Lot less hassle[apart from the nicking bit],cheaper and no loss if it is dumped.

Heard something on the radio that it may have been a home made shotgun that was used in the Fermanagh wedding shooting. They don't even have to be nicking legally held ones now !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Must be, otherwise they'd be using a lot less forensically interesting modern weaponry.

Heckler wrote: »
    Heard something on the radio that it may have been a home made shotgun that was used in the Fermanagh wedding shooting. They don't even have to be nicking legally held ones now !

There's precedent for that, Smithfield market 2008. Must have had a better quality tube/barrel and lock this time around.

There's precedent for that, Smithfield market 2008. Must have had a better quality tube/barrel and lock this time around.

There was one last year as well in Limerick,yet again.Bit of a" Day of the Jackal" affair.It was built in a crutch!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

Sparks wrote: »

Does it not compromise the committees standing, when one of its members issues an insulting message on social media to a group - that the rest of the committee were meeting that day?

mrbrianj wrote: »
    Does it not compromise the committees standing, when one of its members issues an insulting message on social media to a group - that the rest of the committee were meeting that day?

It might if the committee had some power to control the members like that, but it's an all-party committee and so long as they don't break the oireachtas rules for the committees, then individual members of the committee can pull that sort of crap.
    Mind you, only one of them did. Though Sean Kenny not showing up after all his concerns over assault rifles either means he completely accepts our arguments and understands there's no threat to public safety (which would be nice) or that he just didn't really care and was only making noise for the papers (which would be sad).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Never trust a journalist. There might be a few exceptions abroad, but certainly not in this country.

Pro Tip: always have your own recording of any conversation with a journalist.

I guess ol Finian doesnt belive in the saying "When facts change,I change my mind..What do you do Sir?"
    He has painted himself into a corner along with Kenny.Neither show up for an invitation to either confirm or assauge their fears. Finian issues insulting tweets about "the gun lobby's manners",a bit of backround shows he is anti hunting and now anti gun ICABS supporter.Cant exactly say an unbiased open minded member of the comittee now. I get the feeling that this comittee have now realised that this is a whole lot more complex than they were led to belive by the PTB and those that are intrested are those who have pitched up.I know Sen Mulcahy was needed on another comittee yesterday,but whats the others excuses??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

This is a farce, pub like comments and the poor attendance of JC members,

How can the country operate efficiently with this type if attention to the issues.. Oh now I see.. It doesn't....

Also if RTE is seriously doing a report then they need to be contacted and told about doing a fair report in a very stern tone...

Zxthinger wrote: »
    This is a farce, pub like comments and the poor attendance of JC members,
    To be fair about it, we've had one committee member acting like an eejit. And we had one ask questions which could be charitably described as ill-informed and his later absence from proceedings as being the result of now being informed and therefore no longer worried (whether or not that charity is well-placed depends on what he does next, naturally). As to the rest, they were courteous, they listened, they accepted points that were made and the chair was professional and competent. That rather exceeded my expectations of the proceedings pleasantly.

None of that means their decision will go our way, but it was at least not the kind of insincere affair I was worried it would be.

As to Deputy McGrath, well. If your agenda is to get in the press and you didn't care about the topic itself at all, you'd do exactly what he's done. And I'm being polite when I say he's been deeply unimpressive and unprofessional so far.
    Also if RTE is seriously doing a report then they need to be contacted and told about doing a far report in a very stern tone...
    Yeah, I can think of a few things that would backfire on you more badly than that would, but I had to think hard and I could only come up with a few...

Let RTE or whomever make the first move and then politely decline to participate in their project.Without acces to the material of their next shock horror subject they have no programme to cut and paste as their agenda dictates. Better no media coverage than utterly biased to an anti gun agenda coverage MO.

I know the media should be avoided at all costs but there is no avoiding them if they have you in their sights.

Better to try and influence them rather than allow them spin an ill-informed yarn about black guns and potential terrorists in our mists..

Chances are that any possible show might actual interview the minister over such issue..
    I know the media is a headless monster but what choice do we have ..
    Abstanace will resolve nothing.

Let RTE or whomever make the first move and then politely decline to participate in their project.Without acces to the material of their next shock horror subject they have no programme to cut and paste as their agenda dictates. Better no media coverage than utterly biased to an anti gun agenda coverage MO.

But they will just cut and past from their extensive archives or theyll get footage from overseas, theyll make it work. With or without us.

Maybe then your right.. I just don't know. But I was always brought up to believe that any action is better than no action.. Thus doing nothing will surely achieve nothing and this rebuttal of the media seems to be a bit short sighted to be honest..
    There are established precipitous risks in dealing with them but avoiding them gives them a free run too.
    I think yer taking the wrong action here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Is there any merit to a stadardised media response document? - This technique was used to good effect during the pre-RIF legislation era there a few years back.

Basically means that there's a defacto document for reference for these sort of issues which they can't say they hadn't access to - makes the provision of misinformation provable and aught to act as a deterent from taking the piss in the least.

...not that I'm intent on teaching old folk to suck eggs or anything - but I didn't want to simply assume that this was already done.

Zxthinger wrote: »
    But they will just cut and past from their extensive archives or theyll get footage from overseas, theyll make it work. With or without us.

Maybe then your right.. I just don't know. But I was always brought up to believe that any action is better than no action.. Thus doing nothing will surely achieve nothing and this rebuttal of the media seems to be a bit short sighted to be honest..
    There are established precipitous risks in dealing with them but avoiding them gives them a free run too.
    I think yer taking the wrong action here...

Not really,because then they are left open to a charge of a programme of utter spin with an agenda...Yeah go and cut and paste clips of lads shooting full auto stuff in the USA or atrocities in the US or whatever..Al you are saying in your programme is "Guns are bad M'kay?".But it bears no revelance to the actual facts on the ground in Ireland...
    Now ,the only way you will get a balanced programme is YOU will have to be sitting in on the production meets,the discussions and the cutting room,and I can tell you from bitter personal experiance of doing a documentary here in Ireland...THAT AINT GOIN TO HAPPEN.When the programme was finished,we got about 4days to air our concerns before RTE screened it.It was a complete mismatch of quotes taken out of context,the storyline was perverted from the original script and the sequences of events was an utter hames and I was involved in a daily basis with the production and filming of this mess. To the point I could have warned Mr Haely Rae its a bad idea to be on Irish national TV with your own firearm in any shape or form.:rolleyes:

If the producer and director have an agenda,it wont be to your benefit I can tell you.They want to fulfill their contracts to produce programmes for whatever TV station there is there and if they can have somthing "controversial" so much the better.

I suggest you go to Youtube and type in Prime time shooting in Ireland/Tom Clonan and see what sort of an utter hatchet job they did of us in 2007:mad: Then tell us is that how we progress for mk 2??Unless you get someone who is pro hunting and shooting directing this,and youll look a loooonnnnggg way for one of them in Ireland.Avoiding them is the best option in this case.
    If the media were on our side in any shape or form why would the US NRA,BASC, Deutsche Schutzen bund ,etc ,etc set up their own channels to counter the BS out there??
    The TV media in Ireland or anywhere else are NOT OUR FRIENDS!! And fwiw,I'd let them produce some crap with stuff from wherever and people will have forgotton it 48 hours later as some producer trying to make a name for themselves.But add the Irish ingredient and we will have the chattering classes and coffe morning yummie mummies going on about it for weeks on end and "some thing must be done about it" to their TDs and Joe Fluffy. Dont give them the fuel or oxygen on this issue,and sometimes doing nothing is the best option.

QUOTE=Zxthinger;94276880]I know the media should be avoided at all costs but there is no avoiding them if they have you in their sights.[/QUOTE]

Yes there is...Do not engage with them o or walk away.

Better to try and influence them rather than allow them spin an ill-informed yarn about black guns and potential terrorists in our mists.
    Unless you got shares in their production company or TV station,you will have JACK influence over the production,and then they will make that newsworthy."Gun nuts try to influence TV documentary."
    Chances are that any possible show might actual interview the minister over such issue..

So??. Minister says "she is looking at the legislation and will issue a statement in the Dail." Cos thats ALL she can say on the matter here on TV.A personal opinion is not available and she and the producers have to consider libel and slander laws here on every second of a TV production before it is aired.That goes for anyone from both sides of the debate here. We might have freedom of opinion and expression,but we have stronger libel laws and a gutless media who are shackled by them.Why do you think our media coverage is blander than tap water and investigative reporting on the Woodward/Bernstein Watergate level doesnt exist in Ireland?? No editor or director will sign off on a story or programme that if there is so much as a comma out of place lands them in the courts.

• Advertisement

... Finian issues insulting tweets about "the gun lobby's manners",a bit of backround shows he is anti hunting and now anti gun ICABS supporter...

Nice company to be in, a short step away from terrorism.....public safety anyone ? Or does that not apply when fur retailers are targeted or a McDonalds burns to the ground ?

Advertisement