Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The same lad who's just had his firearms taken off him for breaking the Firearms Act six ways from Sunday on national telly?
    He'd never say anything silly like suggesting we allow people in the back end of nowhere to drive home from the pub while six sheets to the wind, would he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Wow. I thought that'd just be Healy-Rae rabbiting on, but no, Cooper actually pushed that nonsense and dragged Healy-Rae with him. Fecking hell.

Sparks wrote: »
    Wow. I thought that'd just be Healy-Rae rabbiting on, but no, Cooper actually pushed that nonsense and dragged Healy-Rae with him. Fecking hell.
    just turned into a debate about who was worst in government and closing garda stations and post offices at the end. Very little shooting.

Should have stopped the rtba hint by the presenter,

"Do you have a gun yourself?"
    HA! Not any more you don't...

• Advertisement

"Do you have a gun yourself?"
    HA! Not any more you don't...
    what happened , did he go on tv and done a load of fúck ups with his gun and it was taken off him
    Heard somthing about it at the time but has anybody got full details

That's about as much as I heard. A dozen or so complaints went to the DoJ, don't know how many to the AGS, and last I heard they'd been taken in to the local station. He's a TD so I doubt he'd lose them, but even Cooper would have to have known that much, and Healy-Rae would have known that Cooper knew as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shooting on a non range would be a good start,on national TV,with a gun apprently registerd as non restricted when it should be restricted because of its mag capacity[ apprently,to which a certain amount of blind eye was being applied too,]and acting the bollix with it is certainly a good way to relive yourself of its ownership.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Deaf git wrote: »
    Anyone hear HealyRae interviewed on Matt Cooper's show this evening? Just after the 5.30 news?
    I buried my head in the steering wheel....
    Today FM of course.

read an article on this this morning and thought better of linking to it on boards - was hoping it would go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fallow01

I think the Garda Commissioner endorsing a poaching awareness campaign by one of our national hunting organisations, is great news!

I would look at this as the 'glass half full rather than half empty'...a national hunting organisation highlighting a crime can only show hunters in a positive and responsible light... many poachers also don't have firearm licenses or use lurchers...

As a WDAI member and the regular press releases they send to members on convictions, I wouldn't see the timing as unusual considering the Gardai and WDAI work together all the time. Such as 'Operation Bambi' the Garda operation to tackle deer poaching, which has seen record convictions and detections. So rather than just putting the Garda crest on a poster the Gardai are doing a lot more....

Well done to WDAI and the Gardai on this one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Listened back on the iPlayer there, and actually Matt Cooper was the most misleading of the three in the interview.
    Stating people have "guns in their homes to defend themselves" Unfortunately Healy-Rea did not correct him as to the impossibility of getting a gun licenced for this purpose.
    Cooper then described H-R as "sounding like you have an arsenal" and asking how many he, H-R owned.
    I retract my earlier request that someone give him a slap, a quiet chat about the realities of PR might suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's a pity nobody put Cooper back into his box by saying 'We aren't allowed guns for self defense'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's a pity nobody put Cooper back into his box by saying 'We aren't allowed guns for self defense'.

I sent him a lengthy email stating just that fact. Whether it makes any difference or not...... he seems to have a fixed opinion already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sound!! SI 2007[explosives storage order] THATS what you have to work under for this to be legal here.

Add to that "OMG if something goes wrong.I MIGHT be held responsible,and thats not on at all."Attitude displayed by people in power here..
    I dont know why they are so worried,after all with all the cack ups in the last decade in this state no one is fired,no one goes to jail,no one is held responsible or accountable and rarely is asked" to consider their position."

Known that for decades my man....:D Would however think that they might have got their details right to prevent themselves not only putting both feet in a bucket of warm and brown matter,but their heads as well.

Hi grizz. Is this the legislation that stopped you dead or was there anything else like the previously mentioned reference to a "munitions order ??2001""??

Be very thankful if you could just confirm to me.. Thanks zx

Nope thats the one that has me stuck at the moment...[I never give up!:)]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Oireachtas Joint and Select Committees
    Wednesday, 4 February 2015
    Select Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality
    David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael)
    Under Vote 20, Garda Síochána, can we get a breakdown by year on how firearms fees are going and what fees are coming in for different categories of firearms? We are doing some work on the matter and we have been trying to get information on the number of licensed firearms lost or stolen. We find it difficult to get the information in any shape or form. It would be useful if the Minister could make the information available to the committee.

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I am not sure if I have the information to hand but I can make it available.

Second time that's come up now...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭SVI40

Well, at least we're not the only ones they mess around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

If the admin is totally screwed up it may not be possible to derive exact stats without trawling through them gun by gun, owner by owner. Could take months...

RTE1 radio tomrrow 10:20 AM.Discussion on gun ownership in Ireland. No idea who or what format.Just got a text as a heads up.

https://twitter.com/TodaySOR

Should be starting any moment now.

• Advertisement

On now, with coverage from Harbour House.

...and now in studio, Finan "Shouty" McGrath and on the line, Michael Heay Rae, and in my palms, my face...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Michael Heay Rae

Ah jaysus who needs enemies with spokespeople like this :(

Yup, there it goes, into the wall at a high speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Jesus that McGrath is some tit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

he really is a puppet for the AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Well thank f*ck McGrath is every bit as inept as Healey-Ray - that could have been a hell of a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Where Are you sparks? There is a car wreck on the radio.

Looks like the farmers are getting it in the neck,
    "thousands of guns stored in outhouses, sheds and car boot"

Why does Healy-rae keep representing shooters? Fair play to him bu.........t #%#%### is he the only one.. ?

This fast media form is not a good place to discuss any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Does anybody have a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Where Are you sparks? There is a car wreck on the radio.

Looks like the farmers are getting it in the neck,
    "thousands of guns stored in outhouses, sheds and car boot"

Any fishermen out there will tell you the joy of seeing a big fish suck in the bait, roll it around in his mouth and take his time before swallowing it.

That's how I felt listening to F McG invoking shotguns in car boots, sheds etc.

Advertisement