Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting guest specific gift.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I Wasn't given a plus one option. They have me on their "single and ready to mingle list" and yes, it's an actual, written down, printed list.

Yikes..wonder what financial value they're putting on couples?!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I Wasn't given a plus one option. They have me on their "single and ready to mingle list" and yes, it's an actual, written down, printed list.

oh, so they think they're doing you a favour too, by making you mingle with potential future partners??

jaysis wept.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yeah, and if you happen to marry someone you meet at their wedding reception, they'll be looking for a cut of your wedding presents as a finders' fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Really they put that on the invite,, It does sounds kinda quirky but jes bit much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

None of the weddings I've been at in the last few years have had any mention of gifts on them. We just contacted the couple beforehand and asked if they wanted something in particular and they told us, which worked out grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

How one earth could anyone phrase that well on an invite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Gatica wrote: »
    How one earth could anyone phrase that well on an invite?

They had boxes on the back of the invite with

Couple

Couple + _ child/ren

Single and ready to mingle! (No +1)

Mine was already pre-ticked the 3rd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It just gets more and more outrageous.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I bet these people make shopping lists in excel, sort their sheets in the cupboard by thread count, and list their friends in their phone contacts according to estimated salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Couple

Couple + _ child/ren

Seriously? What would be the point in that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

These people are deranged.....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Single and ready to mingle sounds so cheery, but the reality is they are too tight to pay for your +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Couple

Couple + _ child/ren

I am crying laughing at this. What is wrong with these people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Oryx wrote: »
    Single and ready to mingle sounds so cheery, but the reality is they are too tight to pay for your +1

I don't think it sounds cheery at all. The only way they could have made it worse is if they'd put "single pringle ready to mingle".

I'm almost certain they just hadn't thought of that rhyme when writing the invites.

Also ticking your acceptance FOR you is just so rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Meangadh wrote: »
    I agree that allowing people to choose is better than this particular situation on this thread- but I'm sorry, I'll never be ok with a mention of gifts on an invite. It's tacky, crass, needy and completely missing the point of a wedding. [B} Yes, gifts are traditional- but it should be completely up to the guest. Feck the list. Feck what the Bride and Groom want. That's not why they're getting married, and personally I couldn't care less whether they get stuff they "want" or not. What they "want" is to get married. Anything extra on top of that is a bonus that they should accept with gratitude, even if it's a crappy tenth set of knives.

(Sorry I realise I'm an awful grump when it comes to this, but it's one of my biggest bug bears in the world!!)

Guests expect to get information with an invitation, if they are going to ask about a registry anyway it makes sense to tell people on the invitation that there is one if people want to look at it, that doesn't mean a couple are demanding those items be bought. There isn't anything rude about it and it certainly doesn't miss the point of a wedding. I'm getting married this year and I'm moving house, we don't need (or want) crystal champagne flutes but we do need pots and pans, if someone wants to give us a gift I want them to know what we need. A registry is the easiest and most polite way of doing that both for us and our guests.

Just as a gift should be received with gratitude (whether you wanted it or not), a gift should be given freely and without conditions, the attitude of "you will get what I give you and you'll like it whether it is any good to you or not" is no way to give a gift. Better off not giving anything at all if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

This thread is great, we got married 2 years ago and got a mix of cash and gifts as we didnt care what people gave us and of course some of the stuff wasnt our taste but its the effort people go to that counted for us.

To put a value of 250 on people and dictate gifts for their kid is not normal and im deilghted the cake guy has basically told them to get stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Just as a gift should be received with gratitude (whether you wanted it or not), a gift should be given freely and without conditions, the attitude of "you will get what I give you and you'll like it whether it is any good to you or not" is no way to give a gift. Better off not giving anything at all if that is the case.

I don't think anyone really gives a gift with a "like it or lump it" attitude. Perhaps I'm wrong. It's certainly not a nice way to be.
    When I buy a gift for a wedding couple I usually try and put thought into it and get something suited to the couple.

I think its more that some people don't like the idea of being told what to buy. I get the function of a registry, and if people choose to have one that's their prerogative, but it's not to my personal taste.

HiGlo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone really gives a gift with a "like it or lump it" attitude. Perhaps I'm wrong. It's certainly not a nice way to be.
    When I buy a gift for a wedding couple I usually try and put thought into it and get something suited to the couple.

I think its more that some people don't like the idea of being told what to buy. I get the function of a registry, and if people choose to have one that's their prerogative, but it's not to my personal taste.

Totally agree, and hey no one "has" to buy something from a registry, ultimately everyone is free to give (or not) whatever gift they wish. My main point was that having a registry and letting people about it isn't rude, demanding or anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Our list that I previously mentioned was fab, esp as when we went to collect the gifts they gave us the list of presents purchased and we could choose if we still wanted them ( two gifts had been bought off list so we didnt need the ones from the list) and if not we could get a voucher to their value....and we collected them during the christmas sales so they gave us them all at the sale price and gave us the differnce in vouchers :p

So we have all the gifts from people to show them if they ever call over but got lots of extra bits too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Seriously? What would be the point in that? :confused:

To tell the invitee/OP, "Don't even think about asking for a plus one".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Couple

Couple + _ child/ren

:eek::eek::eek:

Holy God. These two just get worse! I've no problem with people not putting "and guest" or "plus one" on an invite really, especially if they do know you're not currently with anyone and you know other people at the wedding so you won't be on your own. But "single and ready to mingle" is so cringe! Makes it sound like you're going to hop on the the nearest fellow single person at the wedding... You'd have to laugh or you'd cry :o
    Guests expect to get information with an invitation, if they are going to ask about a registry anyway it makes sense to tell people on the invitation that there is one if people want to look at it, that doesn't mean a couple are demanding those items be bought. There isn't anything rude about it and it certainly doesn't miss the point of a wedding. I'm getting married this year and I'm moving house, we don't need (or want) crystal champagne flutes but we do need pots and pans, if someone wants to give us a gift I want them to know what we need. A registry is the easiest and most polite way of doing that both for us and our guests.

I do see where you're coming from, honestly, but I just feel if there's something a couple needs, that's up to them to buy themselves. It shouldn't be up to the guests to provide these things. I would imagine most gifts *are* bought freely and without conditions- and in fact it is the couple who specify what gifts they want are the ones who are applying the conditions. I know I always buy things I feel the couple would like and would use. But I would really be annoyed if they requested something specific (even off a list)- unless I asked them of course.
    Totally agree, and hey no one "has" to buy something from a registry, ultimately everyone is free to give (or not) whatever gift they wish. My main point was that having a registry and letting people about it isn't rude, demanding or anything like it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this I'm afraid :o I'll just never ever think it's ok to ask your guests for anything. They'll almost all get you something anyway, and with thought put into it, (or even usually cash really so you can get what you like then). And if there's anything you don't like, then so what. You'll have had a lovely day with friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Holy God. These two just get worse! I've no problem with people not putting "and guest" or "plus one" on an invite really, especially if they do know you're not currently with anyone and you know other people at the wedding so you won't be on your own. But "single and ready to mingle" is so cringe! Makes it sound like you're going to hop on the the nearest fellow single person at the wedding... You'd have to laugh or you'd cry :o

I do see where you're coming from, honestly, but I just feel if there's something a couple needs, that's up to them to buy themselves. It shouldn't be up to the guests to provide these things. I would imagine most gifts *are* bought freely and without conditions- and in fact it is the couple who specify what gifts they want are the ones who are applying the conditions. I know I always buy things I feel the couple would like and would use. But I would really be annoyed if they requested something specific (even off a list)- unless I asked them of course.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this I'm afraid :o I'll just never ever think it's ok to ask your guests for anything. They'll almost all get you something anyway, and with thought put into it, (or even usually cash really so you can get what you like then). And if there's anything you don't like, then so what. You'll have had a lovely day with friends and family.

To be honest, I really don't get this. People are generally very generous with wedding gifts. Why would you want to fork out a lot of money for something that the couple aren't really fussed about? People have different tastes, so one person's "thoughtful" might be another's "dust collector".

Personally I think cash or vouchers are the best. But if the couple give you the option of choosing from a gift register, who cares? Of course I have seen gift registers populated only with really expensive gifts. That's not right.

I don't think you understand my posts or what a registry is really about. I never suggested it is up to guests to provide anything for a couple and having a registry isn't asking your guests to buy you a gift or insisting that you buy them anything at all. Your guests don't have to buy anything off it but if they want to know what you want or need (and people generally do) the registry is just a list for them to look at and help them choose.

It amazes me that people get offended so easily over these things. A person is totally happy to spend money on a gift but when the couple says "hey if you're going to get us a gift can you make it one of these items?" all of a sudden its greedy and crass and instead they should just be glad they got another set of steak knives which they can't sell online because that too would be crass/greedy/etc. To me its just sensible planning, the couple gets something they want/need and the guest knows they are giving something that will be truly appreciated and not in the attic or on ebay in two weeks time :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

It's not that though- it's the assumption of getting a gift. And I know most people buy gifts anyway, and I know people mostly buy gifts with the best of intentions, but I just think any mention at all of gifts on an invitation is tacky. I mean you wouldn't mention gifts on a birthday party invitation, so what makes a wedding different?

As I said, I get that even with a registry no one is forced to buy from it, or even buy anything at all, or give anything- but I would never ever invite someone to a party that I am throwing and mention gifts. It just wouldn't even enter my head for a second to bring gifts into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

When is this wedding ? I will really miss this thread when its all over !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Get her a bottle of Cordial. That'll learn her. :pac: And throw in the strongest Bottle of Floor-Polish Furniture-Polish rank Alcohol in Lidl/Aldi that you can find.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

As someone who is not married but has attended weddings - I LOVE wedding lists/gift registries because I can get them a gift that I know they actually want and will use. I wouldn't stick it on the invitation though if I was getting married.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Scarinae wrote: »
    As someone who is not married but has attended weddings - I LOVE wedding lists/gift registries because I can get them a gift that I know they actually want and will use. I wouldn't stick it on the invitation though if I was getting married.

I think there are a lot of people who have registers but don't mention it on the invite. Then if someone asks then the couple can point them in the direction of the list. But apparently this is still too offensive for some people. I can't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Here Comes The Trio

solerina wrote: »
    When is this wedding ? I will really miss this thread when its all over !!

I think she said March! I don't know whether I can handle another month of this, I am so looking forward to hear how the day goes but will also be left feeling very empty after this has passed!

• Advertisement

It's not that though- it's the assumption of getting a gift. And I know most people buy gifts anyway, and I know people mostly buy gifts with the best of intentions, but I just think any mention at all of gifts on an invitation is tacky. I mean you wouldn't mention gifts on a birthday party invitation, so what makes a wedding different?

As I said, I get that even with a registry no one is forced to buy from it, or even buy anything at all, or give anything- but I would never ever invite someone to a party that I am throwing and mention gifts. It just wouldn't even enter my head for a second to bring gifts into the equation.

I don't think there is any assumption at all, you're reading too much into a couple's intentions there. And a wedding is different because the tradition is to by much more bigger gifts that a couple will have for many years, that isn't usually the case with birthday presents.

We're going to have a registry and we will be letting our guests know about it, it probably won't be extensive or expensive and will be almost entirely homewares with maybe a couple of fun items. If some of our guests would like to give us a gift it's there for them. Many of our guests will be traveling so we will be letting them know that for all our guests their presence is our present. I don't think anyone could be offended by any of that I know I never have been when I've seen it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement