Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Those toilets are absolutely dire and have been for years. Sticky floors and rubbish everywhere. Horrible place.

I go to the Cinema with my kids but in the
    last few years never to Sligo.:mad::mad:
    I go to the Eclipse Cinemas Bundoran, much nicer cinema.:D:D
    I know lot of other folks that do the same.
    Carrick Cineplex is also nice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

The company who own mchughs have been in money trouble for some time they own more pubs but the banks have moved you will see it up for sale shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

sligono1 wrote: »
    The company who own mchughs have been in money trouble for some time they own more pubs but the banks have moved you will see it up for sale shortly
    What is the name of the company who owns them?Is this a rumour or have you been advised they are in trouble. Hadn't heard anything, hope it isn't true. Love the Pub and think it was been ran really well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Chapters Coffee Shop in Bridge Street is closing on Friday. Pity as it was a nice spot, lovely food and music sessions would regularly break out. Twill be missed (by me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

Sligo Today is running an article saying that O'Hehir's have closed two shops, High Street and Wolfe Tone Street.

Sad news for the O'Hehirs and for the staff.

Where about on Wolfe Tone Street was the shop? Grew up in Sligo but just can't pace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Feed Up wrote: »
    Sligo Today is running an article saying that O'Hehir's have closed two shops, High Street and Wolfe Tone Street.

Where about on Wolfe Tone Street was the shop? Grew up in Sligo but just can't pace it.
    Opposite the Bus/Railway Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

McHugh's not open today!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Feed Up wrote: »

prodsc wrote: »
    Opposite the Bus/Railway Station.

Its their 'Spar' on Wolfe Tone St, not sure on the High St one, think its Spar as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

prodsc wrote: »
    McHugh's not open today!

Opening up again next week I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Its their 'Spar' on Wolfe Tone St, not sure on the High St one, think its Spar as well.
    Yeah, opposite The Friary? That's a Spar as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Opening up again next week I heard.
    You would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

hard to believe pick and choose (spar on wolfe tone st) wasn't doing decent business, it's directly opposite the train/bus station and decent footfall on strandhill road. is there some other larger thing going on with the owners forcing this rather than it not being viable? the one on high street I don't know about that it always seems quiet.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    You would be correct.
    Wonder why it was closed, trouble with the banks shouldn't mean a sudden closure, I'd imagine every days takings would be essential.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

promethius wrote: »
    hard to believe pick and choose (spar on wolfe tone st) wasn't doing decent business, it's directly opposite the train/bus station and decent footfall on strandhill road. is there some other larger thing going on with the owners forcing this rather than it not being viable? the one on high street I don't know about that it always seems quiet.

Unless you were on foot Spar was handy, as trying to get a parking space could be a bit of a pain. Every weekend I'm up with the Wife, the family seem to use Centra near the Football pitch or Murrays Shop instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

Itzy wrote: »
    Unless you were on foot Spar was handy, as trying to get a parking space could be a bit of a pain. Every weekend I'm up with the Wife, the family seem to use Centra near the Football pitch or Murrays Shop instead.

"the Football pitch, the Football pitch". It's the Promised Land. Fire and brimstone and a plague on all your houses.

I take your point about parking alright. But Centra and Murrays can be difficult as well at times.

Was home over the Christmas and it's sad to see the town the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Itzy wrote: »

I used the shop regularly always managed to get pulled in near hand very hand when in that side of town for a coffee or sandwich always had people in and out a lot of people in and out from the train station bus station I will miss it for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Surprised to hear that Chapters is closing.

It had a decent regular trade, and I always presumed that it was going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Surprised to hear that Chapters is closing.

It had a decent regular trade, and I always presumed that it was going well.

Sure mchughs were doing really well as well and look whats happening to it!

Vlove wrote: »
    Sure mchughs were doing really well as well and look whats happening to it!
    McHughs was doing well but it was part of a bigger consortium of pubs, so the problem wasn't with the Sligo pub, I would think they should have no problem selling it and hope to see it open again very soon. Still cant understand why banks closes pub in the interim, surely it would make more sense to have it opened at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Is wetherspoons not taking McHughs? That's the word on the street I heard from several locals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Is wetherspoons not taking McHughs? That's the word on the street I heard from several locals.

That's the first I've heard. Would be great if it's true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Ya, heard a few people saying that, but anyone could have just made that up and it would have spread as it sounds believable.

Only time will tell I suppose.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Ya, heard a few people saying that, but anyone could have just made that up and it would have spread as it sounds believable.

Only time will tell I suppose.

Just like the ASDA taking over Dunnes rumours a few years ago!

I would say that is pure rumour, Wetherspoons usually take premises with wider floor area, don't think McHugh's would suit there floor area, McHughs is very narrow, the bank building across the road is more like a place Wetherspoons would be after, obviously not an option for them(Eamon aint going anywhere :P). The old ESB telecentre would be a more like a place for the likes of wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A lie gets halfway around Sligo before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Like mc hughs the two spars closed due to group debts not because they were not viable I know someone working there. Surely the one across from the train station will open again an excellent location for a shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

That's the first I've heard. Would be great if it's true though.

I don't disagree with you, but that could mean curtains for a few more locally run pubs. However Wetherspoons do a decent pint and can trade punches with the big breweries when they refuse to drop their prices at the expense of the customer.

So yeah, bring it on!

(Heineken refused to let a Wetherspoons pub in Dun Laoghaire sell Heineken for €3 and wanted to keep it at €5 at the expense of the punter. So Wetherspoons pulled Heineken, Fosters and Strongbow from all of its pubs in the UK and Ireland.).

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2867770/Wetherspoons-closes-taps-Heineken-Irish-run-in.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Kettleson wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you, but that could mean curtains for a few more locally run pubs. However Wetherspoons do a decent pint and can trade punches with the big breweries when they refuse to drop their prices at the expense of the customer.

So yeah, bring it on!

(Heineken refused to let a Wetherspoons pub in Dun Laoghaire sell Heineken for €3 and wanted to keep it at €5 at the expense of the punter. So Wetherspoons pulled Heineken, Fosters and Strongbow from all of its pubs in the UK and Ireland.).

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2867770/Wetherspoons-closes-taps-Heineken-Irish-run-in.html
    they compromised and agreed not to sell it in ireland;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

shanec1928 wrote: »
    they compromised and agreed not to sell it in ireland;)

had to make do with these drinks and prices so... (Three Tun Tavern Blackrock).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭T-Bird

A lie gets halfway around Sligo before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.

OH read this morning that mchughs owners (who has something to do with o'hehirs? related?) are reopening Source as a pub. Had a quick search on google, but cant find anyhing about it.

Advertisement