Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

It's not due to happen until November. You'll be able to do all banking as normal in any other branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

barneyrub wrote: »
    It's not due to happen until November. You'll be able to do all banking as normal in any other branch.

Its desperate, Pearce road is a ghost town

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shame to see that ATM go..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭T-Bird

On a similar note, Bank of Ireland are gone from the IT. I think they lost tender for new contract and AIB will be replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Vlove wrote: »
    Its desperate, Pearce road is a ghost town
    Perase Rd. is a residential area! The atm is the big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Oxmount Furniture shop in Collooney closing down this weekend. I was in there yesterday and they said that Abbey Foods next door to them will be next to go which is a real shame as they are doing well and dont want to leave at all. It seems the council are piling on the pressure to get them out because they have had complaints from other food retailers that they should not have been allowed to ever start up there in the first place. I heard one of the shops that complained is in Ballymote which is hardly on its door step. Its a real shame that these small buisnesses are having to negotiate bigger problems than the recession, they dont stand a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

whatswhat wrote: »
    . I heard one of the shops that complained is in Ballymote which is hardly on its door step. Its a real shame that these small buisnesses are having to negotiate bigger problems than the recession, they dont stand a chance.

That's Ballymote people for you. I've been out there a couple of times recently and they are like a breed of their own. They are damn right rude the majority of them.

whatswhat wrote: »
    Oxmount Furniture shop in Collooney closing down this weekend. I was in there yesterday and they said that Abbey Foods next door to them will be next to go which is a real shame as they are doing well and dont want to leave at all. It seems the council are piling on the pressure to get them out because they have had complaints from other food retailers that they should not have been allowed to ever start up there in the first place. I heard one of the shops that complained is in Ballymote which is hardly on its door step. Its a real shame that these small buisnesses are having to negotiate bigger problems than the recession, they dont stand a chance.

Omg that is such a shame, Abbey Foods have great quality food there and very helpful staff. I wouldn't want the two stores to go at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I personally think that the real opposition to Abbey Foods in Collooney was closer to home than Ballymote and Ballymote was probably used as a decoy. I will change the real name to avoid any issues but I strongly suspect Mr Brightside who likes the retail monopoly of two neighbouring villages.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

O'Grady's Ice Cream shop in Johnston's Court is gone, it only opened around the start of the year.

• Advertisement

O'Grady's Ice Cream shop in Johnston's Court is gone, it only opened around the start of the year.

It probably opens during the summer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It probably opens during the summer

I think it might have opened around Christmas time, the coldest time of year. If it is open for summer is it not closing a little early, surely they would stay open for a few weeks more, would they not wait till the start of October when the coldness starts to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Didn't even know this place existed! I'm a loyal fan of Fabios, best ice cream I've had outside Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I didn't know it existed either! I must walk through Johnston's Court at least once a week and I never noticed it. Whereabouts was it located out of interest?

It was between Vodafone and H Samuel, there used to a place selling smoothies there, but that closed a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tom Tailer in Johnston Court closed? All stock removed. Is this not the second time they have closed. Not a good sign that two of the anchor stores are both lying empty.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Tom Tailer in Johnston Court closed? All stock removed. Is this not the second time they have closed. Not a good sign that two of the anchor stores are both lying empty.

There was hardly anyone going into it, I sometimes stopped there to look around and the prices were quite high!

There was hardly anyone going into it, I sometimes stopped there to look around and the prices were quite high!

Was only in it about twice my self. Both times nearly the only one there.

Wonder who will move in, I would vote for an M&S, but I imagine extremely unlikely.

Was only in it about twice my self. Both times nearly the only one there.

Wonder who will move in, I would vote for an M&S, but I imagine extremely unlikely.

Well I hope whatever goes in that unit creates more jobs but sure where old HMV and MAD was, there seems to be absouletely no one taking them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Price of men's clothes was reasonable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Rates are a huge problem stores cannot sustain themselves between rates and rents and this before you sell any item or pay staff it's a difficult place to trade in sligo town

ATM being 'manoeuvred' away from the former Ulster Bank on the Pearse Rd this morning,, and a bricky filling in the gap with breeze blocks.

ATM being 'manoeuvred' away from the former Ulster Bank on the Pearse Rd this morning,, and a bricky filling in the gap with breeze blocks.

they weren't breeze blocks

Henlars67 wrote: »
    they weren't breeze blocks

Well what ever they were, they were pretty big blocks he was filling the hole in with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Tom tailor was good shop for men's clothes very reasonable

Sligo is fooked, more in castlebar and carrick now,

We will soon be just a forgotten little town

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Our. Mighty chamber of commerce what are they doing looked after their own interests in the past and to hell with the town now,it will be a bleak Christmas for retailers shoppers will go else where.

The Chamber of No Commerce have fu*ked this town in favour of their own vested interests.

The thing is that they were too stupid and short-sighted to realise what was in their best interests, and are now paying the price themselves.

I thought the Chamber were just against out of town developments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dunno if this is the right place but rumours going mad around Ballymote this morning that Tighes Newsagents is shutting up shop Sunday. No idea why. Massive loss for the town if true. Big 40% off sale on everything today so hope it is just rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Slideways

That would be very sad.

He has made a big effort to build on what he got when he took over from Hurleys.

Advertisement