Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Henlars67 wrote: »
    McHughs is definitely closing, 25th of Feb I think. I'd imagine it won't be closed for long as somebody will take a chance on it. That pub can make money if run properly.

Rumours that Shenanigans is closing too, but those rumours have been out before. Also rumours that Toffs is in receivership, and may close, just the niteclub, not the The Embassy or The Belfry.

Sure someone told me that the Velvet and the cinema is closing. Seriously where r these rumours coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Are they just unfounded rumours so

sligono1 wrote: »
    Are they just unfounded rumours so

I haven't a clue, hope they r wrong, thats all I can say for now

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I'm with you on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Idea for new welcome sign on all roads into Sligo

"Sligo, Ireland's Detroit"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

In my opinion the main reason for these or businesss like these closing down is because of overpricing.
    For instance the food in McHughs is totally overpriced.Why can't they offer lunch deals....something that makes you feel you're not being ripped off.
    The same goes for the cinema. Basically it's a dump. The one in Carrick puts it to shame. Why can't they offer reduced rates for one night a week and introduce a cinema club?
    None of this is rocket science...what's preventing it from happening is pure greed. Rather than introduce measures like these businesses will actually close.

Vlove wrote: »
    Sure someone told me that the Velvet and the cinema is closing. Seriously where r these rumours coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

How about ye all stop spreading those rumours until you know for a fact they are true. Every person that says it to someone else or comes on here and says it, ye are all responsible for spreading it and none of ye know if it's true. Ye are all as bad as the person who started it. I think the mod should comment on this, facts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

How about ye all stop spreading those rumours until you know for a fact they are true. Every person that says it to someone else or comes on here and says it, ye are all responsible for spreading it and none of ye know if it's true. Ye are all as bad as the person who started it. I think the mod should comment on this, facts only please.

I have to agree. Less of the rumours please, it's not fair on the businesses or the staff working in them.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I have to agree. Less of the rumours please, it's not fair on the businesses or the staff working in them.

Not one for the rumours myself but it is worth noting that no-one in my opinion tried to pass any rumour off as fact, and all pointed out they were rumours. In any case, there's plenty of speculation around town about businesses as it is and it's really not fair on the staff members who may hear it back from customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

?...if you hear from the staff themselves that they received a letter confirming the closure of a business, does that constitute rumour or fact...just asking

• Advertisement

?...if you hear from the staff themselves that they received a letter confirming the closure of a business, does that constitute rumour or fact...just asking

I don't think it was aimed at you camper, more at the rumors about shenanigans and the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I would consider that a fact. It's the people saying they heard this place and that place is closing. One business in particular is quite angry about unfounded rumours going around that they are closing when they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Yeah I'm pretty sure the cinema isn't closing because they do very well there. Also when other cinemas that are members of the Gaiety Cinema Group aren't doing well it's the manager of the Sligo cinema that goes in and shows them how to turn it around so I don't think he needs a lesson in how to run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

magnumlady wrote: »
    I would consider that a fact. It's the people saying they heard this place and that place is closing. One business in particular is quite angry about unfounded rumours going around that they are closing when they aren't.

Maybe knock that rumour on the head then by telling us what business it is!

Rumours give me headaches and I'm sure it does to those people working in those businesses that are working hard. It would be far more better if they announced their 'closure' on their own Facebook page, full stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

prodsc wrote: »
    Maybe knock that rumour on the head then by telling us what business it is!

Of course, its the one beside you know where, that sells you know what. The guy that looks like a man works there. You know, wink wink nod nod........

Really?

mewe wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the cinema isn't closing because they do very well there. Also when other cinemas that are members of the Gaiety Cinema Group aren't doing well it's the manager of the Sligo cinema that goes in and shows them how to turn it around so I don't think he needs a lesson in how to run a business.

The cinema has to charge extra for sweets and drinks as they have to pay a high price to the film distributors to show the movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

I am a regular visitor to the Sligo cinema and I really enjoy the movies but the filth of the place is a disgrace.

From the floors, to broken seats to terrible toilets. I had guests over from Australia over Xmas and they were shocked by the place.

I couldn't agree more with you.
    It's a dump of a place.
    I've stopped going now but ifI want to go to the cinema I just go to the one in Carrick which is gorgeous.
    davebirl wrote: »
    I am a regular visitor to the Sligo cinema and I really enjoy the movies but the filth of the place is a disgrace.

From the floors, to broken seats to terrible toilets. I had guests over from Australia over Xmas and they were shocked by the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was in Screen 10 at Foxcatcher in the cinema the other night.. and the two chairs to the right of me had broken arm rests on either side. It's a piss-poor cinema to be perfectly honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the cinema is clean or anything like that, in fact i think it's mingin myself. The floor is sticky a lot of the time and there is the issue with broken seats. However business is about the bottom line and the manager is obviously doing something right if he's the go to guy for making other cinemas more profitable. Regardless of people giving out about cleanliness they're still getting bums on seats so the argument they should do this or that with regard to failing businesses is redundant in this case.

I know what you're say but ultimately it's a sad reflection on the people that use the cinema. I just don't understand why anyone would want to hand over their hard earned money to sit in a flea pit that is the Gaiety Cinema Sligo.
    mewe wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying the cinema is clean or anything like that, in fact i think it's mingin myself. The floor is sticky a lot of the time and there is the issue with broken seats. However business is about the bottom line and the manager is obviously doing something right if he's the go to guy for making other cinemas more profitable. Regardless of people giving out about cleanliness they're still getting bums on seats so the argument they should do this or that with regard to failing businesses is redundant in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I hear Rumours is closing....wait....never mind.

On a sidenote wasn't there a niteclub called Rumours in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Plazaman wrote: »
    I hear Rumours is closing....wait....never mind.

On a sidenote wasn't there a niteclub called Rumours in Sligo?

didn't it close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

dingding wrote: »
    didn't it close :)

Rumour has it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

davebirl wrote: »

Those toilets are absolutely dire and have been for years. Sticky floors and rubbish everywhere. Horrible place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Slideways

It was always the same cretinous locals who would be working there

"Alright sham" while chewing gum with their mouth open and looking like they get wet look gel for free

Advertisement