Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Slideways wrote: »
    That would be very sad.

He has made a big effort to build on what he got when he took over from Hurleys.

Made it into a proper store instead of a dingy little sweet shop if I dare say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Slideways

Exactly, and gave plenty of youngsters a job in the place too.

I've not been home in 12 months but I hear Perrys is gone/going?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

Tighes is closing, posted it on their facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

That is a huge loss to the town. I always bought a few bits in there and brought my little man to have a look at the toys. Always left with something.
    Costcutter is also going, that's means tthe only place to shop now is supervalu bit **** that now davey fella will be getting a lot more custom he's an awful fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

That is a huge loss to the town. I always bought a few bits in there and brought my little man to have a look at the toys. Always left with something.
    Costcutter is also going, that's means tthe only place to shop now is supervalu bit **** that now davey fella will be getting a lot more custom he's an awful fella

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Slideways wrote: »
    Exactly, and gave plenty of youngsters a job in the place too.

I've not been home in 12 months but I hear Perrys is gone/going?

Still currently open but on its last legs. John Perry back in charge having leased his own building from the receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

The bed shop on High St has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

The bed shop on High St has closed.

no it has moved to a bigger premises down the quays , this is a great store , couldnt recommend them highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Charles of Anthonys Barber Shop has closed. Notice in the window today

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sligored wrote: »
    no it has moved to a bigger premises down the quays , this is a great store , couldnt recommend them highly enough.

This is really more suited to the stores opening thread, but where about down there have they moved to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    This is really more suited to the stores opening thread, but where about down there have they moved to?
    Where world of wonder used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

Charles of Anthonys Barbers on Teeling street has closed.
    I went there this morning and there was a notice on the door.
    Very sad to see this long time established business closed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

davebirl wrote: »
    Charles of Anthonys Barbers on Teeling street has closed.
    I went there this morning and there was a notice on the door.
    Very sad to see this long time established business closed up.
    Oldest barber shop in town. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Their mother owned the business and is retiring,and has put the building up for sale that's the reason I hear for it closing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Looks like I'm going to have to find a new barber. Been going there since i was a kid.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Fear not, whilst Charles of Anthony's has closed, the owner of the business has set up a new barbers in the next shop up the road called kellys barbers. was in there for a haircut today good job for a good rate of a tenner. his mother is selling up so he's moved premises, will be there for 8 weeks then moving into a new unit at market cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Michael Owens shop in Carroroe has closed recently, it was such a good stop on the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

promethius wrote: »
    Fear not, whilst Charles of Anthony's has closed, the owner of the business has set up a new barbers in the next shop up the road called kellys barbers. was in there for a haircut today good job for a good rate of a tenner. his mother is selling up so he's moved premises, will be there for 8 weeks then moving into a new unit at market cross.

They should put up a notice in the window of the old premises to that effect. Went there yesterday to find it closed :( (hadn't seen this thread) had to go to alfies instead :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I went for a haircut to find it was closed too, but didn't know he was opening again, so went to Alfie. Bloody queue, Friday afternoon.
    Headed to Charly on the Mall. Two in front of me and was out again, €10 and a bit of hair lighter in 20 mins. Couldn't complain.
    However, great to hear he's open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Cullen's pub in town and Bella Vista in Strandhill closed down.

• Advertisement

prodsc wrote: »
    Cullen's pub in town and Bella Vista in Strandhill closed down.

Never drank in Cullens, but Bella Vista?

:eek:

Never drank in Cullens, but Bella Vista?

:eek:

Bella vista is now called Queen Meabh.

Vlove wrote: »
    Bella vista is now called Queen Meabh.

Just renamed? Phew.

Just renamed? Phew.

That's she was called when I was in there! :)

We're the the banks not running Cullens for a few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Someone told me today that Chapters will be closing shortly, it's a real shame if it is, great place. Hope it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Was in mchughs last night, it allegedly is closing down soon,,, staff got a letter to that effect last week... when will it end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Was in mchughs last night, it allegedly is closing down soon,,, staff got a letter to that effect last week... when will it end

I thought the place was doing a great trade? haven't been in there in a while but it was wedged when I was. would be a shame if it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

McHughs is definitely closing, 25th of Feb I think. I'd imagine it won't be closed for long as somebody will take a chance on it. That pub can make money if run properly.

Rumours that Shenanigans is closing too, but those rumours have been out before. Also rumours that Toffs is in receivership, and may close, just the niteclub, not the The Embassy or The Belfry.

• Advertisement

I guess the lack of a midweek trade is not helping and crippling rates and other charges has the place in bother

Sligo is in big bother as a town what are the powers that be doing jobs going every week this now is a serious issue.

Advertisement