Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options
  • 22-12-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

nearly that time of the year again so when calving starting

starting here from 2oth January onwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

nearly that time of the year again so when calving starting

starting here from 2oth January onwards

Due acc to icbf on 23rd of jan bt should be expecting them to start on 16th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

not worrying about calving until after Christmas. Do the bare minimum now till 1st of jan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Scratching me hole till late jan then going full tilt.first cow due 28 jan hopefully straight to grass.closed at afc 740 but after walking around today I'd say it's growing at the very least 12/15 a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

15th Jan first one is due here, like that with gestation lengths these days could be a week earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

First one due Christmas Day. :-)

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Scratching me hole till late jan then going full tilt.first cow due 28 jan hopefully straight to grass.closed at afc 740 but after walking around today I'd say it's growing at the very least 12/15 a day

You'd want to see a doctor bout that mahoney:D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

1st due 2 days ago but carrying to lim so 1st few days in jan and it'll be all systems go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Milked out wrote: »
    You'd want to see a doctor bout that mahoney:D

Wouldn't worry till he starts dragging himself around the yard on his hole

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st one due 22nd Jan, so prb means a week earlier, going to be (hopefully!) a very busy Jan trying to get this parlour in, would be great to get it in before the big rush of calving starts! In future I'll leave calving until Feb 1st, only early this year with the sexed straws. Similar to MJ an early turnout would be great, I was only down the feild today (with the tractor, not a mark in the ground from it!), paddocks with covers of 1500 already and it's not yet Xmas, most the farm has come back strong! We are still sending maidens out by day, plenty grass for them. I got a feeling it will all be a totally different story when it comes to Feb 1st unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

First ones due 6th jan but 4 calves born in the last 2 days

Will have to stop serving for 2 months this year coming

• Advertisement

Thought I was clear this year but out this morning to find a foetus at bottom of scrapper run,for a change it was a cow that was going anyway after this year ,lovely Bb calf due mid feb.vet on way to blood.not expecting any abnormalities as salmonella vaccinated and all milk neospora results negative.4 years on the hop I've had a cow do this after dry off.so anyway my calving season has started !€

Thought I was clear this year but out this morning to find a foetus at bottom of scrapper run,for a change it was a cow that was going anyway after this year ,lovely Bb calf due mid feb.vet on way to blood.not expecting any abnormalities as salmonella vaccinated and all milk neospora results negative.4 years on the hop I've had a cow do this after dry off.so anyway my calving season has started !€

Bit like the same thing that's happening my friend. Only its happening to heifers and they cone full term just still born.
    Has blooded them when they went to grass blooded at bulling blooded at scanning blooded when housed and blooded when calved and can still find nothing abnormal.
    Really vexing

Bit like the same thing that's happening my friend. Only its happening to heifers and they cone full term just still born.
    Has blooded them when they went to grass blooded at bulling blooded at scanning blooded when housed and blooded when calved and can still find nothing abnormal.
    Really vexing

Tell them to get iodine in water soon as gg,had same problem years ago here and soon as iodine hit water all clear.icc per cow per day of lugiols iodine in water troughs.put it in right through calvings season and during breeding season

Tell them to get iodine in water soon as gg,had same problem years ago here and soon as iodine hit water all clear.icc per cow per day of lugiols iodine in water troughs.put it in right through calvings season and during breeding season
    Yeh I said that to him and he said they've been doing it makes no difference

Yeh I said that to him and he said they've been doing it makes no difference

He could be using wrong type iodine???

He could be using wrong type iodine???

Doubt it has had numerous vets in none can give him an answer

Heifer here 10 dys ago. Found her forcing. Blood neg anothe to be taken early Jan

Doubt it has had numerous vets in none can give him an answer

Says a lot about vet so,there's always a cause.that would drive me bananas

Says a lot about vet so,there's always a cause.that would drive me bananas

Gone back to using fr this yr on heifers instead of AA to see if it makes a difference. Any heifer that it happens too is always fine the next yr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Wouldn't worry till he starts dragging himself around the yard on his hole

LOL. Hilarious. Can't get picture out of my head!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

first one calved during the night an angus calf from a heifer that nearly died from summer mastitis last year

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Started with a bang here. Three cows during the night but three heifer calves so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

9 live calves so far 7 heifers
    No twins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

3more heifers today, 2 calved out in the feild, not ideal but I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    3more heifers today, 2 calved out in the feild, not ideal but I'll take it.
    my dad was at a farm walk years ago he asked the host farmer about calving pens, the farmer said he had 60 acres of calving pens:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Ruxin

Putting cows in calving shed this afternoon last weekend of freedom for a while

They're holding on here. Calving sheds full to brim with springing heifers but only 1 calved so far.

I'd say we'll start Sun or Mon. One problem is that our frozen store of colostrum has been raided by a few neighbours lambing and suckling. Checked this am and only 10 litres in freezer. No cow calving till Feb 1 at earliest so I need to hunt some down.

Found a dead calf in the cubicles this am a Je bull so all not bad. Cow 2 wks early so will milk and hold for a week

All calf pens ready, limed and bedded. A new guy started last week and I'd say he did more work here in that time than we'd do in a month. He is a yard man (his words) loves calves but won't be milking. Told me this am that he'll do 2 nights calving per week for us when dam bursts.

We are expecting a busy time as 50% of herd are due in the first 2 weeks. Loads of coffee should do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Just started spring calving, one dead and one Caesarian out off four.

Seems to be an awful lot of herds having there first calve early and dead this yr.
    I've a dozen here ready to pop but there holding off well

• Advertisement

First one was due the 15th, she went over by 3 days but others started from the 10th with 20 calved and 3 more in the shed to calve, things will be calmer then after these. 9 heifers in spring so far. With 22 from autumn Have enough replacements now a few more would be nice as don't want to count them till they are raised and out to grass, nice to have em early tho. Lost one bull as his mother lay on top of him and had a dead set of twins

Advertisement