Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790!!!???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Except wouldn't it be better if we had a more or less equal salary society, like, say, Japan, and homes sold and rented for rational prices?

It would - in terms of rational house pricing anyway, not sure I agree on the salary bit! Where's the incentive to work harder/improve? - but this is Ireland where you're seen as a failure unless you own your own house. Sure renting is only for "poor people" or a temporary stepping-stone to ownership!

Seeing as our government and media are busy making the most of the mini-bubble in SCD as some sort of return to form for the country I wouldn't expect change anytime soon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Our household makes about €130,000 a year net after tax which would be included in those figures.

Thing is though, its 2 parents, 4 adult 'kids' and 1 significant other. None can afford to move out. 1 is on Dole. 1 is on Job-Bridge and 3 on minimum wage. None of us have had a foreign holiday in about 5 years, lucky to be able to afford to go out more than 2 or 3 nights a month, I haven't been able to buy new clothes unless desperate in years, all paying down some debt and paying share of bills, making sacrifices to keep business going etc etc

On the surface and according to those figures, this household is a wealthy one. We'd have gone stir crazy if the family home wasn't a nice large 4 bed recently renovated Victorian home in a nice area (The debt we are all helping to pay down) However as far as disposable income outside of barely keeping on top of bills and keeping the business afloat and feeding ourselves goes, we as a household are dirt poor.

How many families are in a similar situation. SFA disposable income but the household pulling in over a hundred grand and pulling that average figure from this study way upwards???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Except wouldn't it be better if we had a more or less equal salary society, like, say, Japan, and homes sold and rented for rational prices?

so, no motivation to improve and do better to get higher wages?

whats a rational price for a house based on? Size? location? proximity to amenities? what people are prepared to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Calibos wrote: »
    Our household makes about €130,000 a year net after tax which would be included in those figures.

Thing is though, its 2 parents, 4 adult 'kids' and 1 significant other. None can afford to move out. 1 is on Dole. 1 is on Job-Bridge and 3 on minimum wage. None of us have had a foreign holiday in about 5 years, lucky to be able to afford to go out more than 2 or 3 nights a month, I haven't been able to buy new clothes unless desperate in years, all paying down some debt and paying share of bills, making sacrifices to keep business going etc etc

Over 7 adults, the equivalent disposable income per person is 18,570 pa.

This means that you are by no means "rich".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The figures sound unlikely. There's a thread on here about working for Apple from home, and they're paying €23,000 to €26,000, for instance.
    I'm glad to hear that some young people are well paid, but doubt very much that the average cited is correct.

That would be a fairly low tier skill job, but anyway if grads start around that in jobs it by no means reflects their earnings at 49, it's such a huge gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭elefant

NTMK wrote: »
    you have to remember there is probably a lot more 21-24 working full time jobs earning about that if not more than 16-20 years as most in that age group dont work

i assume this was carried out on 16-24 year olds that are currently employed the numbers working in the upper half would greatly skew the result

im 24 and my take home pays is around €2200, other course mates from Uni are on about the same and grad jobs pay around 15-1800 net a month so its not completely un-realistic

We're in similar situations, but you'd have to think the number of teenagers earning buttons would be much, much higher than young adults in their early twenties earning over 2000 a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

elefant wrote: »
    We're in similar situations, but you'd have to think the number of teenagers earning buttons would be much, much higher than young adults in their early twenties earning over 2000 a month!

How common do you reckon it would be to have, say, two 22 year olds living together on 24k each? That would be a household income of €790 per week, which would contribute to these figures and work to balance out those that are not working at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    It would - in terms of rational house pricing anyway, not sure I agree on the salary bit! Where's the incentive to work harder/improve?

It's a matter of opinion, but I've never noticed that people worked harder for more money. My own observation is that people work hard when they enjoy and value their work and colleagues.
    That would be a fairly low tier skill job, but anyway if grads start around that in jobs it by no means reflects their earnings at 49, it's such a huge gap

If they're hiring graduates and expecting them to be computerate and well-educated, scarcely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭elefant

How common do you reckon it would be to have, say, two 22 year olds living together on 24k each? That would be a household income of €790 per week, which would contribute to these figures and work to balance out those that are not working at all.

Yeah, when I wrote first I didn't really catch on it was a household thing. Don't see the point in including 16 year olds in the survey if that's the case!

elefant wrote: »
    Yeah, when I wrote first I didn't really catch on it was a household thing. Don't see the point in including 16 year olds in the survey if that's the case!

I suppose it's just because 16 year olds legally can work and even with a part time job at the weekend would technically contribute to the household income figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Calibos wrote: »

On the surface and according to those figures, this household is a wealthy one. We'd have gone stir crazy if the family home wasn't a nice large 4 bed recently renovated Victorian home in a nice area (The debt we are all helping to pay down) However as far as disposable income outside of barely keeping on top of bills and keeping the business afloat and feeding ourselves goes, we as a household are dirt poor.

How many families are in a similar situation. SFA disposable income but the household pulling in over a hundred grand and pulling that average figure from this study way upwards???

Honestly I'd say most families are in a similar situation in one way or another the working class/poor or whatever you want to call it is not doing particularly well these days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Screw the Average - it's a useless measure since the distribution is badly skewed. What's the Median?

(If you don't know what I mean, read this for example. )

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    Screw the Average - it's a useless measure since the distribution is badly skewed. What's the Median?

(If you don't know what I mean, read this for example. )

The figures quoted in the article are median.

The figures quoted in the article are median.
    Which article? The one linked by the OP is all about averages, no mention of medians there. I did check ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Greyian wrote: »
    If we have 3,999,999 people with 2 legs, and 1 person with 1 leg (because of some freak accident or whatever), that'd mean there's 7,999,999 legs (3,999,999*2 + 1) between 4 million people.

That would mean that there are 1.99999975 legs per person in Ireland, or the average number of legs is 1.999999975. I think that was his entire point, the average (edit: in this case) isn't indicative of the norm.

Thanks! I thought my one liner was obvious :D

bnt wrote: »
    Which article? The one linked by the OP is all about averages, no mention of medians there. I did check ...

Yeah the article itself is pretty awful, but the study it draws from was linked earlier in the thread and it states that the figures are median. And also that they are household income, not individual.

Yeah the article itself is pretty awful, but the study it draws from was linked earlier in the thread and it states that the figures are median. And also that they are household income, not individual.

These studies seem to veer all over the joint; I remember one last year or the year before that said average household income was €22,000, another €36,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Jesus would you look at the age ranges

16-24 : 8 years
    25-49: 24
    50-64: 14
    65+ : ?

But sure if they had reasonably consistent ranges then there'd be no sensationalist headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Household makes a bit more sense, young people tend to live in shared accommodation, the middle aged have moved in with their parents and the OAPs all live together in nursing homes. Now I can see how they got to those numbers per household.

Lots of OAPs live with their children, so their pension would be in the pot, a big load of money if it's a public service pension.

• Advertisement

These studies seem to veer all over the joint; I remember one last year or the year before that said average household income was €22,000, another €36,000.

Always go direct to the original source.

Official earnings data here:

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/

Official household income data here:

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/socialconditions/surveyofincomeandlivingconditionssilcmainresults/

Most recent earnings data from the CSO:

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq42013finalq12014preliminaryestimates/#.U5r8hPldWSo

Most recent household income data:

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/silc/2012/silc_2012.pdf

That's kind-of what I am getting at: the average (mean) might be €36,000, while the median might be €22,000. Using an Average calculation only really makes sense if the distribution is symnmetrical, that is, there just as many above-average as below-average households. I suspect there are many more below average than above average, if the high incomes are skewing the average upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dcollins

Thanks for the labour stats, better to go to the source than get something that has been editorialized!
    Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Whats so special about a retail manager that requires a higher salary?

It takes a special kind of person to pull off the cheap suit/complete prick combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It takes a special kind of person to pull off the cheap suit/complete prick combo.

we call them politicians!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Anything to do with money should be discussed in terms of median. Probably already been mentioned, but still. Not even worth talking about averages IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Looks like someone doesn't know about the standard deviation format of getting an actual average....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I'm 42 and a maintenance tech with a big mutli national. No one i know in the factory are on anything close to that. the vast majority of the techs would be on app 29 to 30k a year before tax.

Where do they come up with these figures?

Advertisement