Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    Italy Squad:

Backs: G Bisegni (Zebre), M Campagnaro (Treviso), A Masi (Wasps), L McLean (Sale Sharks), L Morisi (Treviso), S Ragusi (Treviso), L Sarto (Zebre), G Venditti (Zebre), M Visentin (Zebre), T Allan (Perpignan), K Haimona (Zebre), E Gori (Treviso), G Palazzani (Zebre), M Violi (Calvisano).

Forwards: M Aguero (Zebre), M Castrogiovanni (Toulon), D Chistolini (Zebre), A De Marchi (Sale Sharks), L Ghiraldini (Leicester), A Manici (Zebre), G Biagi (Zebre), M Bortolami (Zebre), J Furno (Newcastle), Q Geldenhuys (Zebre), R Barbieri (Leicester), M Bergamasco (Zebre), S Favaro (Treviso), F Minto (Treviso), S Parisse (Stade Francais, capt), A Zanni (Treviso).

Mauro Bergamasco still going, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

England
    No Botes/Tebaldi, no Orquera, no Garcia, no Sgarbi particularly no Benvenuti. That's a lot of changes in the backline.

Did Canale actually retire?

And does anyone know how Furno has got on at Newcastle?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Benvenuti fell off the radar when he moved to Perpignan. He signed with Bristol recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Lancaster must really want to bend the play at home rule!
    Maybe but that rule is worded loosely enough that if he needs to make a phonecall to France he can do that easily. I think Steffon would be only too happy to oblige and would make an impact.
    Saying that there are still options based in England that can cover / go in front of Billy V fir selection. Easter might be a call too far though at 36 but that experience and current form might give him a fighting chance to get a call from Lancaster.
    it will be an interesting back row for England. As a team and as always they have the potential to win this outright.
    It all depends on which version turns up and how much they ignore the looming pressure of the World Cup and emulating the performances of teams past...

If England win a 6 Nations and/or World Cup with Armitage playing a key role than nobody will give a monkeys about the consequences / can of worms of picking him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

If England win a 6 Nations and/or World Cup with Armitage playing a key role than nobody will give a monkeys about the consequences / can of worms of picking him.
    Exactly.
    although his French paymasters would be very upset at the prospect of factoring fatigue from international duty all of a sudden.

England
    When do we actually pick our squad?

We picked a 34-man squad last year, so assuming a similar format, I'm gonna guess, we go for the following:

Hooker: Rory Best, Sean Cronin
    LH Prop: Jack McGrath, James Cronin (just on the basis he was ahead of Buckley before, Buckley might get the nod)
    TH Prop: Mike Ross, Martin Moore
    Lock: Paul O'Connell, Devin Toner, Dave Foley, Mike McCarthy, Mick Kearney
    Back Row: Peter O'Mahony, Robbie Diack, Dominic Ryan, Tommy O'Donnell, Jordi Murphy, Jamie Heaslip, Robin Copeland
    Scrum Half: Conor Murray, Eoin Reddan
    Out Half: Johnny Sexton, Paddy Jackson, Ian Madigan
    Centres: Gordon D'Arcy, Stuart Olding, Robbie Henshaw, Luke Fitzgerald, Jared Payne
    Wing: Tommy Bowe, Keith Earls, Fergus McFadden, Simon Zebo
    Full-Back: Rob Kearney, Felix Jones

That's purely based on the format of last year's squad, which I did think was slightly odd at the time. As in, we picked 5 2nd rows, 7 back rows... including 2 out-and-out number 8s in Copeland and Heaslip (poor Coughlan), 5 centres. Yet we only picked 2 players in essential positions such as hooker, both props and scrum-half. We did call up players after

If I was picking it myself, I'd trim down down on 2nd row and back row, drop Kearney, Ryan and Copeland from there, maybe take Jones out of the backs (although I think he'll make it) and bring in Duncan Casey, Denis Buckley, another TH prop and Kieran Marmion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The clubs would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

England
    Fireball07 wrote: »

That's purely based on the format of last year's squad, which I did think was slightly odd at the time. As in, we picked 5 2nd rows, 7 back rows... including 2 out-and-out number 8s in Copeland and Heaslip (poor Coughlan), 5 centres. Yet we only picked 2 players in essential positions such as hooker, both props and scrum-half. We did call up players after

If I was picking it myself, I'd trim down down on 2nd row and back row, drop Kearney, Ryan and Copeland from there, maybe take Jones out of the backs (although I think he'll make it) and bring in Duncan Casey, Denis Buckley, another TH prop and Kieran Marmion.

Before I read this the first thing I was thinking pretty much exactly what you said that we'd need another person in each of the front row positions and another scrum half.

I'd imagine White or Ah You will go as the third Tight head if one is brought. Strauss surely as the third Hooker and Buckley would certainly appear to be the best choice for a third LH.

On the second rows was Henderson listed as a second row last year? He got some game time at 6 as well didn't he. Maybe it might be only 4 locks this year, 5 seems a bit overkill to me.

We picked a 34-man squad last year, so assuming a similar format, I'm gonna guess, we go for the following:

Hooker: Rory Best, Sean Cronin
    LH Prop: Jack McGrath, James Cronin (just on the basis he was ahead of Buckley before, Buckley might get the nod)
    TH Prop: Mike Ross, Martin Moore
    Lock: Paul O'Connell, Devin Toner, Dave Foley, Mike McCarthy, Mick Kearney
    Back Row: Peter O'Mahony, Robbie Diack, Dominic Ryan, Tommy O'Donnell, Jordi Murphy, Jamie Heaslip, Robin Copeland
    Scrum Half: Conor Murray, Eoin Reddan
    Out Half: Johnny Sexton, Paddy Jackson, Ian Madigan
    Centres: Gordon D'Arcy, Stuart Olding, Robbie Henshaw, Luke Fitzgerald, Jared Payne
    Wing: Tommy Bowe, Keith Earls, Fergus McFadden, Simon Zebo
    Full-Back: Rob Kearney, Felix Jones

I can see Strauss featuring, has been pretty solid since his return.

That backrow selection looks poor, no matter what way you spin it. The lads are all top players, but not international class bar Heaslip and POM. Whoever players 7 will be playing keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »

That backrow selection looks poor, no matter what way you spin it. The lads are all top players, but not international class bar Heaslip and POM. Whoever players 7 will be playing keep up.

Very solid. If Best was to get injured he would be next in line for me and I'd have started him for Leinster this week

Tox56 wrote: »
    Very solid. If Best was to get injured he would be next in line for me and I'd have started him for Leinster this week

Yeah, kinda surprised he didn't start for Leinster, but mostly because I think Cronin offers more impact off the bench. Still, both are playing well, both deserve a chance at a test cap - it'll be interesting to see who gets in there.

England

There is no denying it... we are missing Ruddock, Henderson, SOB & Henry who I'm guessing would all be ahead of the rest. And then you have the retirement of Ferris too. But maybe in general we don't have the depth of back row that we once had?

There are some promising young players around the provinces but I'd say most are at least 2 or 3 years from being international contenders. I would expect TOD to do a good job, and Murphy is a good impact player, even if neither are at the level of POM & Heaslip.

There is no denying it... we are missing Ruddock, Henderson, SOB & Henry who I'm guessing would all be ahead of the rest. And then you have the retirement of Ferris too. But maybe in general we don't have the depth of back row that we once had?

There are some promising young players around the provinces but I'd say most are at least 2 or 3 years from being international contenders. I would expect TOD to do a good job, and Murphy is a good impact player, even if neither are at the level of POM & Heaslip.

I think the over all depth is there, and better than ever in the sense you've got players that can all do a good job there at international level, but we would generally have a massive star fit in the form of Wallace, SOB, Ferris etc.

England
    I think the over all depth is there, and better than ever in the sense you've got players that can all do a good job there at international level, but we would generally have a massive star fit in the form of Wallace, SOB, Ferris etc.

Around 2009 though, the back rows we had available:

A great Munster back row in Quinlan, Wallace and Leamy; all well capable of playing at international level.
    You had a Leinster Heineken Cup winning back row, with SOB having a super season, you had Heaslip and then you had Jennings and Locky who perhaps weren't on the level of some of the others but I would say they'd have done as much of a job as the likes of Murphy & TOD now, if not better. They were both playing really well.

Then you have the monster that is Ferris. And I think Muldoon had been called up to international squads around that time too, always an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

England
    Looks like Courtney Lawes will be missing for England for the first few weeks of the 6N.

That's a blow losing both Launchbury and Lawes in the row

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

England
    Around 2009 though, the back rows we had available:

A great Munster back row in Quinlan, Wallace and Leamy; all well capable of playing at international level.
    You had a Leinster Heineken Cup winning back row, with SOB having a super season, you had Heaslip and then you had Jennings and Locky who perhaps weren't on the level of some of the others but I would say they'd have done as much of a job as the likes of Murphy & TOD now, if not better. They were both playing really well.

Then you have the monster that is Ferris. And I think Muldoon had been called up to international squads around that time too, always an option.

In 2009 the Leinster back row was Rocky, Jennings and Heaslip.

Given you're talking about SOB having the great season and Locky being involved I think you might be confusing that season with 2011, which was when SOB broke through as truly world class.

England
    In 2009 the Leinster back row was Rocky, Jennings and Heaslip.

Given you're talking about SOB having the great season and Locky being involved I think you might be confusing that season with 2011, which was when SOB broke through as truly world class.

That is a very distinct possibility :o

England
    Looks like Courtney Lawes will be missing for England for the first few weeks of the 6N.

That's a blow losing both Launchbury and Lawes in the row

Atwood/Kruis to start so? Certainly not as intimidating as Launchbury & Lawes. Who were both brilliant against us in the 6N iirc, will be a big boost to us this time around if they are missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommyteetoes

Wales
    whats the news on o brien and healy, any chance they will be back for 6 nations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    Atwood/Kruis to start so? Certainly not as intimidating as Launchbury & Lawes. Who were both brilliant against us in the 6N iirc, will be a big boost to us this time around if they are missing.

Parling ahead of Kruis maybe?

Lawes is due back for the Ireland game I think.

England
    Parling ahead of Kruis maybe?

Lawes is due back for the Ireland game I think.

I'm a big fan of Parling, but he's been missing for quite a while. I suppose this is his chance to get back into the frame.

England beat us up front last year, the pure physicality of Lawes is one of the reasons why. Joe's been in charge for longer now, I think we'll have more to our game now, even with the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Scotland
    I think England will win the championship this year

Wales will win the Triple crown

Ireland will finish 3rd or 4th

We are not that concernced about the six nations its all about the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

England
    You think Wales with beat us and England but not win the championship? I'd say that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I think England will win the championship this year

Wales will win the Triple crown

Ireland will finish 3rd or 4th

We are not that concernced about the six nations its all about the world cup

We (as in the fans) or the team? I'm very concerned with winning it with a WC on the horizon and so are the IRFU (€€€) historically. We've only won two in the 6N era, not gonna start turning a nose up at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

England
    Joe Schmidt isn't the type to neglect the 6Ns for the World Cup. It'll be very much a priority for us.

Personally I think we'll win both the 6Ns and the WC and also Leinster will win the Champions Cup and the Pro 12, Connacht will win the Challenge Cup, Conor McGregor will be the champion of everything and the Irish soccer team will be undefeated for the next 20 years. But then I suppose I'm a little optimistic at times.

England
    Joe Schmidt isn't the type to neglect the 6Ns for the World Cup. It'll be very much a priority for us.

Personally I think we'll win both the 6Ns and the WC and also Leinster will win the Champions Cup and the Pro 12, Connacht will win the Challenge Cup, Conor McGregor will be the champion of everything and the Irish soccer team will be undefeated for the next 20 years. But then I suppose I'm a little optimistic at times.

Munster get nothing :(

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England
    Munster get nothing :(

Irb fair play award?

Duncan Weir out for 4 months, bicep injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Scotland
    18 sleeps till we get under way ..... can't wait!

Not a fan of regional rugby - disenfranchised by the shoddy treatment of the Celtic Warriors ........ so this is my only outlet when it comes to the professional level.

Injuries seem to be shafting both Ireland & England ..... I'm sure the coaches will have fingers crossed this weekend.

Feeling kinda lonely as the only person on the poll who thinks Wales will prevail .....

Looking forward to some banter. May the best team win.

Advertisement