Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England
    So I hear from RTE that Alex White is thinking of making the Six Nations free-to-air. That would be a good day's work IMO. I know plenty of people who have some interest in rugby, loved discussing the championship just done, but in no way would they pay to watch it. I think it would be very damaging to lose occasional fans like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

vienne86 wrote: »
    So I hear from RTE that Alex White is thinking of making the Six Nations free-to-air. That would be a good day's work IMO. I know plenty of people who have some interest in rugby, loved discussing the championship just done, but in no way would they pay to watch it. I think it would be very damaging to lose occasional fans like these.

The IRFU will go ape**** if so. Remember a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    vienne86 wrote: »

Election coming up obviously...

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The IRFU will go ape**** if so. Remember a few years ago.

What happened a few years ago?

England
    awec wrote: »
    What happened a few years ago?

Eamonn Ryan threatened to make the Heineken Cup free to air. IRFU ran a big campaign against it.

Also in the run up to an election, shockingly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Heineken Cup is a bit different though. Has it ever been FTA?

I think the IRFU would walk in to a PR disaster if they tried to argue against the 6N staying on FTA TV.

England
    awec wrote: »
    Heineken Cup is a bit different though. Has it ever been FTA?

I think the IRFU would walk in to a PR disaster if they tried to argue against the 6N staying on FTA TV.

Games involving provinces used to be on RTE, think the 06 final was the last one?

As you say, the IRFU would be shooting themselves in the foot but the 6N needs to have the option of PPV to extract maximum value from terrestrial broadcasters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RTE had a special dispensation, somehow, for the last first few years of Sky getting the HEC.

So the last time it was mooted whether the HEC should go back to FTA in Ireland it had probably been 10 years since it last was, maybe more even.

If the 6N were to go to Sky/BT I think it'd be a bad move. The Ireland soccer games went that way and I'm happy to say that viewership numbers would have dipped big time, so much that the team still hasn't recovered from it being removed from alot of fans life. Obviously the team not doing so well hasn't helped either.

Advertisement