Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 RBS Six Nations General Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options
  • 06-01-2015 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, with little over a month to go til the 2015 Six nations I'm getting excited already... The opening weekend really couldn't be more kinder to us.

We play Italy, albeit away, but if we have plans of world domination then it shouldn't cause us any sleepless nights. Obviously it's always a banana skin and it'll be crucial to see what 10 takes Sexton's place, and more importantly on the day if Sexton gets the go ahead to feature the following week.

Wales take on England in Cardiff the day before our game, a perfect window into where England sit. If they can turn over Wales in Cardiff on the first day we know they'll come to Dublin with the same mindset.

France have the opportunity to stretch their legs a little against Scotland in Paris, but as always trying to predict a French game is as safe as Russian Roulette.

For us I think we'll pick as strong a squad as possible. People always harp on about how we should rotate players during the 6n, especially against Scotland or Italy. But the days of them being walk-overs is long gone - and despite Italy taking a step backwards internationally speaking they still have the players to cause all sorts of issues. No, Schmidt will play his strongest squad for all 5 games. This is knock out rugby after all.

For me, I think we'll see something along the lines of (for Italy):

Backs: Rob Kearney, Tommy Bowe, Robbie Henshaw, Gordan D'arcy, Luke Fitzgerald, Paddy Jackson, Conor Murray

Forwards: Jack McGrath, Rory Best, Mike Ross, Devin Toner, Paul O'Connell, Peter O'Mahony, Tommy O'Donnell, Jamie Heaslip

Subs: Richardt Struass, Dave Kilcoyne, Martin Moore, Mike McCarthy, Rhys Ruddock, Eoin Reddan, Ian Madigan, Simon Zebo

Most of the team picks itself, especially up front, and whilst there may be a few debatable calls there, especially around the half backs and midfield, the wider squad is more interesting - how many do we usually have in the 6N squad?

Who will be the 2015 Winner? 322 votes

Ireland
    0%
    England
    64%
    MaguinedPalefacedreginpuntosportingcpgucciefbBig Nellymoby2101Akrasiacruiserweightkeano_afcIcebergrrpcjones[Deleted User]SpudmonkeyRazzenDowntimeyermandan 209 votes
    France
    24%
    jimmadNeil3030TristramGordon Gekkojohnmolloy554Fuzzy_Dunlopadrian522shrapnel222dubrovThe CavemanAbusesToiletsBeanmachinerazorblunthollywoodhoppyDigifriendlyheebusjeebusomerinphilstarclevtrevadelcrowsmel 80 votes
    Wales
    5%
    blackdog2duckysaucezinzanbaker59John McClanegreendomtesttech05domino123deadybaiDonnielightokubDietsquirtkuang1Chief87[Deleted User]homecouldbheretommyteetoes 17 votes
    Scotland
    3%
    PhoneheadvangAll in allPTH2009SleazeMerchantQuint2010v6e5qzawyrc3jnpenybont exilehallo dareBob321.Baggy Trousers 11 votes
    Italy
    1%
    skybhoy121Sprog 4matthew the statueYeah_RightJakey Rolling 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Scotland
    Personally I think Fitzgerald is a shoo-in for the 13 jersey if he keeps his fitness. Would love to see a Henshaw-Fitzgerald midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Personally I think Fitzgerald is a shoo-in for the 13 jersey if he keeps his fitness. Would love to see a Henshaw-Fitzgerald midfield.

Yeah, it'll be interesting. I just think getting all our best players onto the pitch might involve Fitzy going back to the wing. Also, I think Darcy/Henshaw represents a 'safer' midfield. Both big tacklers and defensively sound... not that Fitzgerald isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England
    I dunno about France v Scotland being an easy match; the Scots actually resembled a functioning rugby team in November for the first time in ages.

I'd agree that we will see minimal chopping and changing in the Ireland team throughout the 6N. I'd like to see a couple of different centre partnerships tried out but I think D'Arcy - Henshaw will be given first bite at the cherry and if that goes well, Joe is not a man to change a winning team.

England
    After his performance against Connacht I wouldn't be surprised if Zebo replaced Kearney as first choice Full Back.

197c6irw7p7ibjpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

England
    You might get a bite if Zebo had done anything in that game but he was anonymous. Kearney is safe for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For me, and based solely on what we've seen so far this season plus the latest updates on the injury situation, I'm hoping we'll see this against Italy:

Healy Best Ross
    Toner POC
    POM Heaslip TOD

Murray Madigan
    Henshaw Fitzgerald
    Zebo R Kearney Bowe

Strauss, McGrath, Moore, Tuohy, Murphy, Reddan, Jackson, McFadden

It sounds like Healy will be back for at least 1 of the European games and I'd hope Jackson can find some form over the next few weeks meaning he could switch with Mads (but he needs to be taking the place kicks for Ulster too).

I completely get the logic of moving Fitz back to the wing though. If we had a fully fit squad we might see more of the Henshaw/Payne partnership at centre which I was genuinely happy with against SA. But then if both Earls and Fitz stay fit and find form how do you select between them, Trimble and Bowe? Zebo and Ferg are well down the pecking order there for me, both being 3rd choice. I think long term we've a lot of options on the wings and we're still light on proven centres. Seeing as Henshaw and Fitz are both performing well there at the moment it might make more sense longer term to see how they go together in Italy. Maybe with a view to something like:

Healy Best Ross
    Toner POC
    POM Heaslip SOB

Murray Sexton
    Henshaw Fitzgerald
    Earls R Kearney Bowe

Strauss, McGrath, Moore, Henderson, Ruddock, Marmion, Jackson, Payne

With the likes of Trimble, Henry and Tuohy possibly displacing some of those based on form etc.

Scotland
    Do people really still think D'Arcy has it to be first choice 12? He was poor enough against Australia and his form for Leinster has been patchy at best. Don't me wrong he is still an option but no longer first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Do people really still think D'Arcy has it to be first choice 12? He was poor enough against Australia and his form for Leinster has been patchy at best. Don't me wrong he is still an option but no longer first choice.

I agree I would rather not see him there unless his form is compelling in Leinster's two European games (assuming he plays in them). Henshaw-Fitzgerald is a very interesting combination and the two form centres this season, id rather see that as things stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Most of the Irish team picks itself these days. Only positions open for debate are loosehead prop, but injury to the Munster options probably means there will be no dramas for McGrath; openside flanker, but injuries once again means TOD should be safe; flyhalf; who pairs with Henshaw in midfield and whether Robbie is at 12 or 13 (I will be disappointed if it's Darcy/Fitzgerald), and left wing. If Fitzgerald keeps playing well and injury free, he should be 13, 11 or worse case 23.

Leaving Ireland aside, I'm probably most interested to see how Scotland goes under Cotter. I would just love Scotland to surprise everyone and finish second behind Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Defensively D'Arcy is sound but its in attack that is a problem IMO. The autumn was great but ireland won games based on great tactical awareness and some brilliant opportunism. Progress needs to be made attack wise and D'Arcy just doesnt bring what BOD managed to bring last year. In the last two games BOD was on the pitch for 7 tries, and had a major hand in 6 I think.

Kearney, Bowe, Fitz, Henshaw, Zebo, Jackson, Murray
    McGrath, Best, Ross, Toner, POC, POM, Ruddock, Heaslip

Bench - Healy, Strauss, AhYou/Moore, Foley, TOD, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Most of the Irish team picks itself these days. Only positions open for debate are loosehead prop, but injury to the Munster options probably means there will be no dramas for McGrath; openside flanker, but injuries once again means TOD should be safe; flyhalf; who pairs with Henshaw in midfield and whether Robbie is at 12 or 13 (I will be disappointed if it's Darcy/Fitzgerald), and left wing. If Fitzgerald keeps playing well and injury free, he should be 13, 11 or worse case 23.

Leaving Ireland aside, I'm probably most interested to see how Scotland goes under Cotter. I would just love Scotland to surprise everyone and finish second behind Ireland!

Tighthead prop could quickly become an area of interest if Ross starts poorly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Tighthead prop could quickly become an area of interest if Ross starts poorly

12 months ago I thought he'd be behind Moore and drifting further away. But he had a decent enough AIs. Unless he has a total loss of form I reckon he'll be Ireland's starting TH for the 2015 season. He's been a real asset to Ireland really, during a period when other options have been pretty thin on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

England
    In fairness, it was a terrible time for Moore to become injured. He very well may have pushed ahead by now if he had been playing regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

England
    People mention henshaw at 12 but he never plays 12 for connacht, and fitz at 13. Though Fitzgerald played 12 for Ireland before. So should it be 12 fitz and 13 henshaw.
    What are the chances fitz going to 12 in leinster full time? Maybe fitz and t'eo at 12/13 would suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,738 ✭✭✭✭phog

After his performance against Connacht I wouldn't be surprised if Zebo replaced Kearney as first choice Full Back.

197c6irw7p7ibjpg.jpg

You really must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England
    Stan27 wrote: »
    People mention henshaw at 12 but he never plays 12 for connacht, and fitz at 13. Though Fitzgerald played 12 for Ireland before. So should it be 12 fitz and 13 henshaw.
    What are the chances fitz going to 12 in leinster full time? Maybe fitz and t'eo at 12/13 would suit?

Didn't we have Henshaw at 12 in the match v SA? I think whether or not D'Arcy is included will depend on how he goes in the European games. And likewise Fitz, but he has certainly put his hand up. My guess is D'Arcy/Henshaw will be the midfield, but I would love to see Henshaw/Fitz.

Re 10, I dunno about Madigan. Again it depends on how he and Jackson go in the next couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

**** Christmas. 6N is the most wonderful time of the year.

Scotland
    Swiwi. wrote: »
    12 months ago I thought he'd be behind Moore and drifting further away. But he had a decent enough AIs. Unless he has a total loss of form I reckon he'll be Ireland's starting TH for the 2015 season. He's been a real asset to Ireland really, during a period when other options have been pretty thin on the ground.

Ross is still our best TH. Remember our scrum was a weapon last year against France until he went off and then it disintegrated when Moore/McGrath came on. The South Africa match he was under pressure but against Australia he was excellent and lasted the full 80.

I think McGrath was carrying an injury though. Ross us still our best TH for now but I'd like to see Moore get plenty of time because that may not be true come September.

On a similar vein I'll be disappointed to see D'arcy still there. Even if marginally better now (which I don't think he is) another 6 months and a preseason away I struggle to see him as such.

Scotland
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think McGrath was carrying an injury though. Ross us still our best TH for now but I'd like to see Moore get plenty of time because that may not be true come September.

On a similar vein I'll be disappointed to see D'arcy still there. Even if marginally better now (which I don't think he is) another 6 months and a preseason away I struggle to see him as such.

Can see 3 Tight Heads at the WC what with all the games against the minnows etc. Ross, Moore and ?? Furlong? Archer? Hagan? Ah You?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

England
    When is the Irish squad decided upon and at what point do they leave the provinces for the camp?

Sanjuro wrote: »
    When is the Irish squad decided upon and at what point do they leave the provinces for the camp?

Usually the monday after the last round of european games isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

England
    .ak wrote: »
    Usually the monday after the last round of european games isn't it?

The 26th January then, I guess. Looking forward to that.

Scotland
    Is the squad not usually announced in the week between the two European games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

What would happen if a country withdrew from the 6 Nations this year Rankings penalty, Cash penalty? Other?

Is the squad not usually announced in the week between the two European games?

That sounds about right... Or is that the wolfhound squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

From a Connacht pov its loosehead im very interested in. With both Munster props and Healy making there way back id imagine Denis Buckley will be in the training squad. If Cronin Healy are available then they will probably get gametime at the WH game to increase sharpness, they are proven commodities and have the necessary experience. (although ability wise at this stage id rate Buckley as well as any prop in Ireland bar Healy). But id be excited to see how a few weeks in that enviroment affects him.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    What would happen if a country withdrew from the 6 Nations this year Rankings penalty, Cash penalty? Other?

Out of curiosity, why?

They're contractually obliged to play in it and it would be financial suicide not to. What would actually happen I imagine no one really knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

England
    ssaye2 wrote: »
    Would never happen. Financial suicide. Too much money lost if they did. Nothing would happen to world rankings. The loss of match income etc all primarily fund these unions and every game is key to income etc and they are contractually obliged to play.
    freyners wrote: »
    From a Connacht pov its loosehead im very interested in. With both Munster props and Healy making there way back id imagine Denis Buckley will be in the training squad. If Cronin Healy are available then they will probably get gametime at the WH game to increase sharpness, they are proven commodities and have the necessary experience. (although ability wise at this stage id rate Buckley as well as any prop in Ireland bar Healy). But id be excited to see how a few weeks in that enviroment affects him.
    would be great to see him get game time in WH but that will not happen and simply being in the training squad would be great for Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why?

They're contractually obliged to play in it and it would be financial suicide not to. What would actually happen I imagine no one really knows.

Just curiosity of things that will probably never ever happen.

Advertisement