Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I will hope that these few shares might have an SP increase of 10% at some stage during 2015, if you could get 10% on your investments wouldn't you be doing grand
    TSCO (£1.84) - not for W&O's given the misinformation the company has been giving out but could be worthwhile.
    Tesco will continue to lose market share to cheaper rivals, the quality of their food is very average and the prices charged are always above the market average. The manipulation of their profits will not be the end of bad news for that company.
    Basically best advice I could give people is do the opposite of what Cute Hoor says and you will not see your investments wiped out

Well there's one up anyway and we're only 8 days into 2015, over 14% profit since I posted, and that is after taking all buying and selling costs into account, lovely jubbly.

Others not doing so well but sure we're only 8 days in and most are up a wee bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

Well there's one up anyway and we're only 8 days into 2015, over 14% profit since I posted, and that is after taking all buying and selling costs into account, lovely jubbly.

Others not doing so well but sure we're only 8 days in and most are up a wee bit.

Save your breath cute hoor, they're incapable of understanding reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Save your breath cute hoor, they're incapable of understanding reason...

We'll see how good the debt fueled stock bubbles are doing later in the year. Some time between July and October this year I predict you will get a dose of reality.

I will hope that these few shares might have an SP increase of 10% at some stage during 2015, if you could get 10% on your investments wouldn't you be doing grand.
    GERN ($3.12) - Currency risk here as well
    The only thing I know about Genron Corporation is that they are a biotechnology company selling cancer drugs and listed on the Nasdaq.
    Basically best advice I could give people is do the opposite of what Cute Hoor says and you will not see your investments wiped out

Well there's a second one up and we're only 13 days into 2015, over 11% (hit $3.47 today) profit since I posted, and that is after taking all buying and selling costs into account, a few more and I could be splashing on the factor 50 on a Tahiti beach when the much feared October arrives.

Others not doing so well but sure we're only 13 days in and most are up a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Exciting times ahead I think. The world is underestimating the damage that low oil prices could do to economies worldwide. High risks of deflation here in the EU, ECB ready to kick-start the printing presses (however I don't think this will help the eurozone which is going into stagflation). SNB unpegging from Euro. US CPI for December came out today down 0.4%.

Soon the marketplace will wake up and find out that the first three QE programs executed by the FED were not in fact enough. And, instead of raising rates the FED will more likely start QE4.

In euro terms, silver up 17% and gold up over 13% in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

DarkDusk wrote: »

Soon the marketplace will wake up and find out that the first three QE programs executed by the FED were not in fact enough. And, instead of raising rates the FED will more likely start QE4.

Or will it wake up and realise QE doesn't work? U.S UK and Japan are struggling to prove it does.

Or will it wake up and realise QE doesn't work? U.S UK and Japan are struggling to prove it does.

I don't think they'll ever admit it doesn't work. QE is what keeps the ponzi scheme going.

Exciting times ahead I think. The world is underestimating the damage that low oil prices could do to economies worldwide. High risks of deflation here in the EU, ECB ready to kick-start the printing presses (however I don't think this will help the eurozone which is going into stagflation). SNB unpegging from Euro. US CPI for December came out today down 0.4%.

If the ecb turn on the printing presses in large amount, this would be a negative for gold as it would add to more dollar strength, as gold is pegged to the dollar it would mean gold weakness.
    CPI down 0.4 % will probably delay a interest hike in USA therefore giving equities room to rally some more, another negative for gold.
    SNB has added to gold as a safe haven in times of turmoil, so low oil prices, fear and shocks to the markets are positive for gold.

Thoughts?

If the ecb turn on the printing presses in large amount, this would be a negative for gold as it would add to more dollar strength, as gold is pegged to the dollar it would mean gold weakness.
    CPI down 0.4 % will probably delay a interest hike in USA therefore giving equities room to rally some more, another negative for gold.
    SNB has added to gold as a safe haven in times of turmoil, so low oil prices, fear and shocks to the markets are positive for gold.

Thoughts?

Firstly, gold is not pegged to the dollar. Precious metals have been showing great strength lately, gold and silver rising in tandem with the dollar which is highly unusual. If the ECB decides to devalue the euro even more then this is a positive for people in Europe holding gold. Gold has risen more in euro terms than dollar terms this year due to the fall in the euro currency.

I believe the US economy cannot withstand higher rates. Recent economic data is turning negative the last few months coming out of the US and no one is taking notice at all. I think there is more of a chance of the FED starting QE4 than raising rates, which would totally shock the markets and especially the dollar.

When inflation hits consumers in the next 1-2 years, THAT is when gold and silver will become very attractive to the public.

That was a year and a half ago, when you were shilling hyperinflation on the way:rolleyes:

Now your saying deflation and stagflation is on the way. :pac:

What happened to QE never ending? And Gold and Silver skyrocketing? (still down 30%- 40%)

Also stop using the change in US/Eur as a metric for Gold and Silver rising in price. They are quoted in dollars. No one adds the change in US/Eur onto the S&P 500's annual performance :)

A better place for this thread is the conspiracy theory forum

• Advertisement

Recent economic data is turning negative the last few months coming out of the US and no one is taking notice at all. I think there is more of a chance of the FED starting QE4 than raising rates, which would totally shock the markets and especially the dollar.

Turning Negative???

5% GDP growth reported most recently!!!!!!!

Can only laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

It belongs on the zerohedge.com website where DarkDusk plagiarizes most of his posts. Comical stuff really.

That was a year and a half ago, when you were shilling hyperinflation on the way:rolleyes:

Now your saying deflation and stagflation is on the way. :pac:

What happened to QE never ending? And Gold and Silver skyrocketing? (still down 30%- 40%)

Also stop using the change in US/Eur as a metric for Gold and Silver rising in price. They are quoted in dollars. No one adds the change in US/Eur onto the S&P 500's annual performance :)

His prediction was always deflation followed by hyperinflation. When we have a sick world economy with demand falling then prices fall. Countries try fooding the markets with printed currency to try and boost consumer demand which results in stock bubbles, bond bubbles and low interest rates.

Countries once again push the failed policy of QE that dont increase consumer demand but results in paper bubbles. Once the ponzi debt bubbles pop then the stored up printed currency and debt goes to commodities and thats when the hyperinflation begins. What part of this do you not understand?

Turning Negative???

5% GDP growth reported most recently!!!!!!!

Can only laugh

2 things make up growth. Number of people at work and productivity per employee. The US government can slice up economic measurements to give inaccurate economic indicators so foolish people like yourself believe in them. It is governments way of maintaing confidence in a dying system.

Both components of growth have been falling in the US. Labour force participation rate has been falling since Obama came to office with 92 million americans that are able to work not been included in the labour force. Productivity per worker is also falling with stagnant real wages. But you should continue believing the lies i will look at reality and make my investment decisions accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I feel sorry for all the people who were lured into investing in gold as it was supposedly a "safe" investment.

Not only did you lose 30% of your investment, you had to watch investors in shares gain 50% over the past 4 years.

hmmm wrote: »
    I feel sorry for all the people who were lured into investing in gold as it was supposedly a "safe" investment.

Not only did you lose 30% of your investment, you had to watch investors in shares gain 50% over the past 4 years.

I gained almost 3 times my original investment when i invested in shares back in early 2009 to when i sold them in late 2013. Do you feel sorry for me? If i had listened to people like yourself when assets are undervalued i would be put off investing.It was 2014 when i turned to precious metals and reinvested my gains from shares. I perfer investing in assets that are undervaled and sell when over valued. One day gold and silver will be over valued and my attention will turn to property and shares again.

I gained almost 3 times my original investment when i invested in shares back in early 2009 to when i sold them in late 2013.

Fair play that is some return over 4 years, you bought very very wisely, the Dept of Finance could do with you. Out of interest why did you sell your stocks in 2013 when you knew the stock bubble would last till October 2015. Assuming that you bought into Gold at around $1195 and Silver at around $16 then by my reckoning, for every $10,000 you invested in stocks in 2009 and reinvested equally in Gold and Silver in 2014 you will have $1,275,000 (give or take a few dollars and cents) by 2020, and that is in today’s dollar value before the currency becomes worthless, you will be a very rich man.

Fair play that is some return over 4 years, you bought very very wisely, the Dept of Finance could do with you. Out of interest why did you sell your stocks in 2013 when you knew the stock bubble would last till October 2015. Assuming that you bought into Gold at around $1195 and Silver at around $16 then by my reckoning, for every $10,000 you invested in stocks in 2009 and reinvested equally in Gold and Silver in 2014 you will have $1,275,000 (give or take a few dollars and cents) by 2020, and that is in today’s dollar value before the currency becomes worthless, you will be a very rich man.

I sold out as I didn't feel comfortable with the risk. It was through further research last year that I came to the conclusion that the second half of 2015 will see a dramatic fall in the stock markets. I think oil prices crashing is an indicator of what's to come. Too much has been lent out to the energy sector and similar to mortgage backed securities, these loans that have being given out to the energy sector have been diced up and sold on, so who knows where these bad debts will end up. Yep the idea is to grow the investment so time will tell. I do think the worst is yet to come and that 2008 was only a sample of what to expect when the real one hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

I sold out as I didn't feel comfortable with the risk. It was through further research last year that I came to the conclusion that the second half of 2015 will see a dramatic fall in the stock markets. I think oil prices crashing is an indicator of what's to come. Too much has been lent out to the energy sector and similar to mortgage backed securities, these loans that have being given out to the energy sector have been diced up and sold on, so who knows where these bad debts will end up. Yep the idea is to grow the investment so time will tell. I do think the worst is yet to come and that 2008 was only a sample of what to expect when the real one hits.

You've been posting on this website for a total of 8 months, with most of that spent talking GAA, yet you want us to believe you've been expert on risk taking for the last 6 years and only now you start posting on the investment threads? Please spare us the after-timing posts as they are very hard to believe.

Many of us have been on this thread for years and have listened to DarkDusk talk complete and utter nonsense (plagiarized from the zerohedge.com delusionalists) predicting massive inflation and a dollar crash. Then all of a sudden you come along years later and tell us "His prediction was always deflation followed by hyperinflation"? Errr WRONG. As the other poster said "people who were lured into investing in gold, as it was supposedly a safe investment, not only did they lose 30% of there investment they had to watch investors in shares gain 50% over the past 4
    years".

By the way it's not about you, it's about DarkDusk. Then again there is an uncanny likeness in your posting style. ;)

I’m not an expert on risk taking, I got in at a good time during the last crash due to so much negativity at the time plus I had spare cash to invest and knew shares would not be down forever. From my own research I have been doing the past year I am now giving my opinion of where the next opportunity is and as this is a discussion forum I think I am entitled to do so. Yes GAA is the reason I joined boards which eventually lead me to the investments thread. Does that mean I only kept my savings in a bank before then?

I agree that those that have got into gold 4 years ago have lost out on the run up in shares. But likewise those that are feeling happy right now with their paper investments would turn very unhappy quickly if we do get a sudden market crash later this year which I do think will happen. Therefore that gold investor that got in a few years too early would be in a better position than that person that stayed in shares for too long.

I will leave DarkDusk fight his own battle here as his opinions don’t seem to be liked by some in the gold discussion. My posting would be similar to his as we do share a similar viewpoint about how events will materialize from all the extra currency being printed and extra debt in the system. However we are separate people and I have gone on record when I think the crash will happen which in my opinion will be sometime between July and October. So it will be interesting to see who will be right later on this year. I think some might be eating humble pie and if it’s me I’ll put my hand up but we shall see.

• Advertisement

Also stop using the change in US/Eur as a metric for Gold and Silver rising in price. They are quoted in dollars. No one adds the change in US/Eur onto the S&P 500's annual performance

If you were living in Russia you would be looking at gold priced in Rubles, which has sky-rocketed due to the massive fall in the value of their currency. The ECB is going to announce QE this week and hence our currency has fallen in value.

I don't know about you, but I measure my investment gains/losses in the currency I used to buy that asset. Common sense.

What would your target price be in dollars, and timeframe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭world_weary

If you were living in Russia you would be looking at gold priced in Rubles, which has sky-rocketed due to the massive fall in the value of their currency. The ECB is going to announce QE this week and hence our currency has fallen in value.

I don't know about you, but I measure my investment gains/losses in the currency I used to buy that asset. Common sense.

i expect the euro to rally ( somewhat ) on thursday as no way are we going to see american style QE from draghi

he takes orders from germany and they simply wont allow it

i expect the euro to rally ( somewhat ) on thursday as no way are we going to see american style QE from draghi

he takes orders from germany and they simply wont allow it

I think it's a mathematical certainty that the ECB will start some sort of bond buying program (probably in the region of .25-.5 trillion euros). The ECB is simply under way too much pressure globally (forget about Germany) to start QE.

I think it's a mathematical certainty that the ECB will start some sort of bond buying program (probably in the region of .25-.5 trillion euros). The ECB is simply under way too much pressure globally (forget about Germany) to start QE.[/QUO

germany completely rules the roost when it comes to the eurozone , ask yourself this

why did the ECB not engage in QE three years ago when the euro was 1.40 to the dollar , the economy of the eurozone was in worse shape then

i do see something happening tomorrow but i fully expect the market to be disapointed

the only comfort is that european stocks are already cheap and so may rise a little anyway

the weak euro is good for exporters

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

He's a brilliant central banker. Probably the best in the world. I love listening to him.

Mario-Draghi_2229367b.jpg

He is a massive improvement on the abysmal trichet

ECB QE bigger than expected, €60bn a month until at least the end of 2016.

He said in his statement that it would run until the end of September 2016 (from March 2015), has he changed his mind in the last 30 minutes?

• Advertisement

Stock Markets slow to react to his statement, then up a little, but now dropping back down as far as I can see.

Advertisement