Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

efb wrote: »
    Well known in the gay community

And beyond. Though possibly just slightly beyond :) It wasn't a big secret anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm not sure why he felt the need to air his private life, unless some rag of a paper was about to make an issue of it.

Still doesn't change my opinion of him as an popularity hungry, intellectually lightweight politician.

"Intellectually lightweight".

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

In what way?

Straight as in not crooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I question the timing. Why does he suddenly pick this time to announce something that most people really couldnt care less about? I wonder was he about to get "stung" by a scummy tabloid?? Either way, its his own business, cant see it stopping him being Taoiseach, times are changing rapidly.

Someone said it was mentioned in some Dublin magazine a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

"I am a gay man" Leo Varadkar tells @MiriamOCal ... And it's "no big deal". "I'd like to be an equal citizen in my own country".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I'm sure the hundreds of people on trollies are delira and excira. I'm sure it's personally a revelation and a relief, but I don't care. Get on with cleaning up the health service disaster. I have no interest in the persons gender, race etc etc, just anyone who can get that job done. I don't think Leo can to be honest, though he has the best intentions.

Deenie123 wrote: »
    haha fair play to him. In seriousness, there are people still killing and harming themselves over stuff like this, so it's great that he's seen to have the courage to come out while a serving minister. I also think Enda's reported reaction is priceless. "Oh right well that's your business. Ever been to panti-bar?" Classic.

I actually think it's great to see people saying "Don't give a rats arse Leo, fix the fupping HSE!". 20 years ago it would have been scandalous - there'd be calls for him to step down. Now people are just annoyed that he hasn't yet fixed the (probably) un-fixable.

It's a bit of a worry that people think this one individual should fix the health service within 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I'm sure the hundreds of people on trollies are delira and excira. I'm sure it's personally a revelation and a relief, but I don't care. Get on with cleaning up the health service disaster. I have no interest in the persons gender, race etc etc, just anyone who can get that job done. I don't think Leo can to be honest, though he has the best intentions.

He is entitled to have a life outside of work.

And if this helps him in his everyday life then fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

smcgiff wrote: »
    Hardly outed, as has been said, it wasn't exactly secret.

No

He was outed.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It's a bit of a worry that people think this one individual should fix the health service within 6 months.

I know...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yes he is like a Chairman - but unlike a chairman he can change the rules.

Has he proposed a new Health Act?

And what should the new Health Act do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No one is expecting him to fix it alone or even in six months. But what has he done?

Told anyone who would listen, not to expect much… and by the way. I'm gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Yeah, but it's great that they're more concerned about that and don't give a flying one about him being gay. Priorities in the correct place :)

Maybe this marriage equality thing will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Awesome. Fair play to him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fair play Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

miamee wrote: »
    And beyond. Though possibly just slightly beyond :) It wasn't a big secret anyway.

Rumour has it there's another high ranking minister who's a "fan of musical theatre ".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Could he be "cured" with another mass??

All joking aside it's nobodies business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Imagine you had the courage to come out to your friends and family and their response is, great but get on with your job, That's more important to us.

Roll eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

"Intellectually lightweight".

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

His populist stances, his complete absence of an original idea, his utter reliance on briefing notes and speaking points etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

nobody's business really, suppose he is probably looking for the sympathy vote seeing as he is so sh1te at his job as Minister for Health, anything to deflect attention :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No

He was outed.

Judging by the reaction, either no one reads Village or no one cares...

Probably a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Bit shocked at the "so what" attitude on here from some people. If a random B-List celebrity in Australia says something slightly controversial we're on here debating it for days. But if a serving Minister (and a well respected one) in our own country comes out publicly right before a SSM referendum, upon which the eyes of the world will be, we say "so what?".

I don't thunk Vradkar was expecting a tickertape parade full of "pride" to arrive outside Leinster House. But it must be nice to put to bed rumours and gossip however.

He's also a good role model IMO for straight and gay people. I've always thought he carried himself quite well. He's had a very good political career so far and dispelled many of the stereotypes of gay men (ie. the ultra-camp, super feminine).

And like it or not there are still many knuckle-draggers in this country who wouldn't want SSM or gay politicians. Homophobia isn't as acceptable as it once was but it bubbles beneath the surface in little snide comments behind peoples backs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I already know plenty of gay people. Come back when you have super powers. Then it'll be newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

The truly wonderful Phil Chevron who wrote this wonderful song about his dream of being able to meet a man under Clery's Clock and kiss him in public, would be delighted with you all thinking it is so normal now.
    I wish it was so easy in his time - or even as easy as some of ye hear are saying even now. RIP Philip.

Under Clery’s Clock

Burgh Quay at night
    in this dark and stinking place
    urges I can’t fight
    with a boy without a face
    strange as it seems
    all I want is to embrace
    by the street light
    just like other lovers do without disgrace

Under Clery’s clock tonight at eight
    I want to wait, oh god he’s late
    he’s stood me up
    the next bus to An Lár
    is his for sure
    ten minutes more I know
    will bring my love to me
    the love that does not have a name

Long lonely nights
    just imagining his face
    only in dreams
    do I kiss him and embrace
    cold morning light
    he’s gone with only
    shame to take his place
    Under Clery’s Clock………

Under Clery’s Clock………

(Philip Chevron June 1957 – October 2013, Age 56)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Bit shocked at the "so what" attitude on here from some people. If a random B-List celebrity in Australia says something slightly controversial we're on here debating it for days. But if a serving Minister (and a well respected one) in our own country comes out publicly right before a SSM referendum, upon which the eyes of the world will be, we say "so what?".

I don't thunk Vradkar was expecting a tickertape parade full of "pride" to arrive outside Leinster House. But it must be nice to put to bed rumours and gossip however.

He's also a good role model IMO for straight and gay people. I've always thought he carried himself quite well. He's had a very good political career so far and dispelled many of the stereotypes of gay men (ie. the ultra-camp, super feminine).

And like it or not there are still many knuckle-draggers in this country who wouldn't want SSM or gay politicians. Homophobia isn't as acceptable as it once was but it bubbles beneath the surface in little snide comments behind peoples backs.

Please. It's ireland. Not Russia. Now if he came out in Russia. That would be a brave and bold move, to be applauded.

Here. Not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

Its not something that will change my opinion of him. Generally when people in the public eye cone out my reaction is 'meh, I dont care'.

However, I do hope this is something that will not be used against him in the dail, the media or anywhere else for that matter. It would sadden me if members of the public start shouting 'Homo' or 'queer' at him on the street.

His populist stances, his complete absence of an original idea, his utter reliance on briefing notes and speaking points etc

Can't say I agree with that at all. Any interview I've heard from him he hasn't been afraid to call it as he sees it. For instance, in health he hasnt promised the sun, moon and stars which would have been populist.

He's also one of the strongest TDs when being interviewed for me so hardly reliant on notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donedl1

I do not like Fine Gael but Leo has always seemed honest in his dealings.

mad muffin wrote: »
    No one is expecting him to fix it alone or even in six months. But what has he done?

Told anyone who would listen, not to expect much… and by the way. I'm gay.

What would you have expected from anyone in the first six months in that job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

horgan_p wrote: »
    I already know plenty of gay people. Come back when you have super powers. Then it'll be newsworthy.

Well he wasn't really thinking about you so much, maybe.

Advertisement