Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Lambsbread wrote: »
    Its not something that will change my opinion of him. Generally when people in the public eye cone out my reaction is 'meh, I dont care'.

However, I do hope this is something that will not be used against him in the dail, the media or anywhere else for that matter. It would sadden me if members of the public start shouting 'Homo' or 'queer' at him on the street.

Sadly you will get a very small minority that will do this.

Abuse for his ineptitude in his position as Minster for Health is a different argument

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Daith

mad muffin wrote: »
    Please. It's ireland. Not Russia. Now if he came out in Russia. That would be a brave and bold move, to be applauded.

Here. Not so much.

Have you come out yourself? Do you know many ppl who have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

One of the good guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with that at all. Any interview I've heard from him he hasn't been afraid to call it as he sees it. For instance, in health he hasnt promised the sun, moon and stars which would have been populist.

He's also one of the strongest TDs when being interviewed for me so hardly reliant on notes.

The fact that he is honest about health impresses me. The Trolly stuff has always been with us, I tend to blame the local hospital managers and regional managers and CEOs. The very people bleating about health ministers doing their job are the very first to criticise any reform. No matter how small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

donedl1 wrote: »
    I do not like Fine Gael but Leo has always seemed honest in his dealings.

Are you sure? Remember him saying 'not another red cent' will be pumped into Anglo, yet €1.25bn was paid into it a couple of weeks into taking over the country and a further €24bn paid into other Irish banks. Honest me hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

flanzer wrote: »
    Are you sure? Remember him saying 'not another red cent' will be pumped into Anglo, yet €1.25bn was paid into it a couple of weeks into taking over the country and a further €24bn paid into other Irish banks. Honest me hole!

Do you seriously think that was his decision alone to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

lots of disappointed thirty something females out there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Good for you Leo, but i didnt think it was a secret, and i dont even have one of them gaydar yokes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

lots of disappointed thirty something females out there now

Yeah but think of all the happy Gay men !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Do you seriously think that was his decision alone to make?

Well if he was honest, he would have said that another some of money will have to be paid. The dog on the street knew that. simples.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I suppose it's good for him to get it out in the open, maybe because today is his 36th birthday he thought, feck it.

My guess is most people will just go 'oh, alright' and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

No

He was outed.

In the same way as he outed himself today, it was probably still news for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No

He was outed.

So what? You have to let this obsession go mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Lambsbread wrote: »
    Its not something that will change my opinion of him. Generally when people in the public eye cone out my reaction is 'meh, I dont care'.

However, I do hope this is something that will not be used against him in the dail, the media or anywhere else for that matter. It would sadden me if members of the public start shouting 'Homo' or 'queer' at him on the street.

I've never heard anyone shouting homophobic abuse but I've read it does happen. Are there people not to be pitied to some extent as this shouting of abuse surely indicates mental health issues? Of course doesn't make it acceptable but would explain it? Surely no mentally well person in yhe last 20 has shouted any abuse at a random stranger on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So what? You have to let this obsession go mate.

Im not your "mate"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I'm fed of people 'coming out'. Tell family and friends if you want, but I don't care if Leo Varadkar wanted a sex change to become Leona Varadkar.

I mean I don't care what you are, it just seems to make it a bigger deal than being heterosexual. Why do we need to know the sexuality of someone we don't personally know?

I will think no different of him, but do we need people in the public eye to tell us if they are heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, intergender or transgender or whatever you are having yourself?

Some may say this helps acceptance, but on the other hand it is making being homosexual a bigger deal than being heterosexual, and surely one wants everyone to be treated with respect whatever they are.

The sceptic in me says, he is coming out now due to the same sex marriage referendum. When in reality it shouldn't make any difference to voters what sexual orientation he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Simon Coveney is loving this.. nothing in his way to the top now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone shouting homophobic abuse but I've read it does happen. Are there people not to be pitied to some extent as this shouting of abuse surely indicates mental health issues? Of course doesn't make it acceptable but would explain it? Surely no mentally well person in yhe last 20 has shouted any abuse at a random stranger on the street?

It happens quite a lot

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Fair play to Leo to be honest this is a real non-story to me. The HSE still needs to be fixed. I hope this story dies soon and the limelight can be firmly put back on fixing the health system.

Its the 21st century, it shouldnt be a huge thing to come out. The media puckering up and congrats on twitter is making me squirm a little tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im not your "mate"

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Really?

I mean only bigots will now vote for Simon....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

RobertKK wrote: »
    I'm fed of people 'coming out'. Tell family and friends if you want, but I don't care if Leo Varadkar wanted a sex sex change to become Leona Varadkar.

I mean I don't care what you are, it just seems to make it a bigger deal than being heterosexual. Why do we need to know the sexuality of someone we don't personally know?

I will think no different of him, but do we need people in the public eye to tell us if they are heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, intergender or transgender or whatever you are having yourself?

Some may say this helps acceptance, but on the other hand it is making being homosexual a bigger deal than being heterosexual, and surely one wants everyone to be treated with respect whatever they are.

The sceptic in me says, he is coming out now due to the same sex marriage referendum. When in reality it shouldn't make any difference to voters what sexual orientation he is.

If he campaigned for a yes vote and then came out you'd have people saying he was dishonest for not declaring a vested interest and if he could do that for the SSM referendum he could lie about other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Imagine you had the courage to come out to your friends and family and their response is, great but get on with your job, That's more important to us.

Roll eyes.

The general public are not his family so frankly it would be normal for the people of this country to care less about his sexuality than his ability to do the job he was elected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

mad muffin wrote: »
    Please. It's ireland. Not Russia. Now if he came out in Russia. That would be a brave and bold move, to be applauded.

Here. Not so much.

Nobody has said he was a super brave revolutionary like. I wouldn't have even bothered to comment on this thread if it wasn't for people such as yourself gong out of their way to piss all over what is a small "feel good" new story.

This time tomorrow it'll be business as usual for the politicians and media. It's not a big story. I'm just trying to understand what motivates people to 'cross the street' just to say you don't care. :confused:

He also had to go on record somewhere and say he was gay because he plans to be involved in the SSM campaign. It's not like it was a big secret but it would have been the first line of questioning directed at him. So might as well get it out of the way and focus on the wider issue of SSM - it doesn't seem like he wants the limelight for it considering he's kept it under wraps so long.

An openly gay minister is a good thing IMO - particularly as his sexuality had zero impact on him getting to where he is. It's a good sign of things to come and he's a good role model for many young gay teenagers/men who have a huge suicide and self-harm tendency in this country.

If you don't care why comment on it?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If he campaigned for a yes vote and then came out you'd have people saying he was dishonest for not declaring a vested interest and if he could do that for the SSM referendum he could lie about other things.

The government and all the parties are campaigning for a yes vote, they all have a vested interest in this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Leinsterblue

I wonder will we ever see a president of Ireland come out or admit to being gay.... I hope that Mr Varadkar is happier personally now that he has disclosed his sexuality but please get stuck into the hospital trolley disaster. Congrats leo

RobertKK wrote: »
    The government and all the parties are campaigning for a yes vote, they all have a vested interest in this anyway.

Do explain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I'd be very happy to have either of these two represent us as the leaders of our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Barring the fact I have never seen a more incompetent public speaker in quite some time.

• Advertisement

Wang King wrote: »
    Barring the fact I have never seen a more incompetent public speaker in quite some time.

Didn't stop Enda...

Advertisement