Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

UCDVet wrote: »
    You'd think he'd cured cancer from all the support he's getting :)

I don't care if someone is gay, straight or other....but it's not really an achievement, is it? Run a marathon? Oh sure - fair play to you! Good for you!

Gay? Straight? Asexual? Transexual? Ummm...okay. Cool, I guess.

20 years ago it was illegal to be sexually active in Ireland if you were gay. There are no openly gay soccer players in the premiership that I know of anyway. Serioulsy do you think they are all straight?

It is still a big deal to come out as gay - so fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I don't care if someone is gay, straight or other....but it's not really an achievement, is it? Run a marathon? Oh sure - fair play to you! Good for you!

It's not the "being gay" that's being applauded.

It's having the courage to come out as gay when you're in the public eye.

He will receive abuse at some stage about it, that's just the sad fact. It may also harm his political career. Another sad fact. Not everybody is as "cool and easy going" as the folk here in after hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Was he trying to deflect from the screw up FG have made of the health service since they've been in power?
    Was he asked how come FG were able to break the 600+ people on trolleys, a record the FFailures couldn't even reach?

If only he could fire the members of the HSE responsible for that.

mikom wrote: »
    ?

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Fair play to him.

Unfortunately I think this may seriously harm his prospects of becoming Taoiseach one day

That could be 15 to 20 years away. Most of the anti gay population will be in a grave, by then, if my demographic assumptions are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I knew this for quite a while. Like how it was never a "thing" that defined him as a "gay politician " as oppose to just a politician

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

osarusan wrote: »
    I wonder will he front and centre on the SSM referendum now.

No. He just said he won't.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I hear you're gay now Father...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

wow sierra wrote: »
    20 years ago it was illegal to be sexually active in Ireland if you were gay. There are no openly gay soccer players in the premiership that I know of anyway. Serioulsy do you think they are all straight?

Is it still a big deal to come out as gay - so fair play to him.

Hmm. Sure some soccer ball players have come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Saipanne wrote: »
    Ffs...

I'd truly hate to have your brain.

Ooooohhhh, I'm sorry!

Woohoo, Leo's gay!

Who gives a f*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

It's not the "being gay" that's being applauded.

It's having the courage to come out as gay when you're in the public eye.

He will receive abuse at some stage about it, that's just the sad fact. It may also harm his political career. Another sad fact. Not everybody is as "cool and easy going" as the folk here in after hours

well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

wait, he's 36? call me leo

Its a big deal as people would accusing him of deceiving Ireland etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is it still a big deal to come out as gay - so fair play to him.

Thomas Hitzlsperger is openly gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

would that it were

Quazzie wrote: »

After he retired.

Hmm. Sure some soccer ball players have come out.

Not while playing in the premiership.

Justin fashanu came out after retiring and in the end committed suicide.

Thomas hitzlesperger came out after he left the premiership.

Soccer fans seem to get away with torrid personal abuse towards players. One can only imagine the abuse an openly gay player would unfortunately receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I don't care if someone is gay, straight or other....but it's not really an achievement, is it? Run a marathon? Oh sure - fair play to you! Good for you!.

Coming out may be tougher for some mentally than running a marathon.

Ooooohhhh, I'm sorry!

Woohoo, Leo's gay!

Who gives a f*ck.

Angry and cynical. Quite the catch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

He only came out after he retired. There aren't any openly gay players playing in the premier league anyway afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deedless

Good for him for having the courage to come out publicly. Can't be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fair play to him and the fact he can come out on the national airwaves shows how far we've come as a culture and in a remarkably short time too. Something like this would be an alien concept in the 1970's, even 80's and 90's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Daith wrote: »
    Coming out may be tougher for some mentally than running a marathon.

Why?
    It's not the 1950's?
    Do people like Leo just like the attention?
    Might explain his big mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

This is a surprise to some?

I wouldn't have known, TBH.

He retired a few years ago and only came out after doing so.

For all those saying 'big deal', I appreciate the sentiment and agree but the day a serving government minister comes out is quite a big deal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Re: Poster's who have come in to post that they don't care. Are you saying that to highlight that we're in an age now when it's not a defining factor of someone's character, no more so than being, for example, left handed or bald?

I hope it's that, and not a sly swipe at the man, a "What are you telling us for?" sort of thing.

If I didn't care for a particular topic, I just wouldn't post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/varadkar-i-am-a-gay-man-658527.html

Varadkar said he rang the Taoiseach to give him "a heads-up" about the announcement, and the Taoiseach told him it was no issue and a private matter. He said the Taoiseach then asked him if he'd been to Panti Bar, a popular Dublin bar Kenny had recently visited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It is still a big deal to come out as gay - so fair play to him.

The people who think it is as big deal to come out as gay are the problem.People being completely indifferent about his sexuality are what society should be striving for and making a big deal about it by having to make a public announcement (to people who have no business knowing anything about his personal life) is kind of admitting that its a big deal when it really isn't.

I don't really give a toss about his announcement or Donal Og Cusack,Valerie Mulcahy etc and thats the way it should be and it shouldn't and wouldn't be a big deal if a professional soccer player came out as gay only idiots would have a problem with it and they are best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Why?
    It's not the 1950's?
    Do people like Leo just like the attention?
    Might explain his big mouth.

So now he's deflecting from the HSE and has a big mouth.

Maybe stupid reactions like that are the reason it's still a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Was he trying to deflect from the screw up FG have made of the health service since they've been in power?
    Was he asked how come FG were able to break the 600+ people on trolleys, a record the FFailures couldn't even reach?
    No he was being open and honest, there's a referendum coming up on gay marriage and he was displaying his vested interest

• Advertisement

Not while playing in the premiership.

Justin fashanu came out after retiring and in the end committed suicide.

Thomas hitzlesperger came out after he left the premiership.

Soccer fans seem to get away with torrid personal abuse towards players. One can only imagine the abuse an openly gay player would unfortunately receive.

yep...sad but true. Even the GAA which you might've thought would be more conservative seems light years ahead.....

Advertisement