Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the windiest time here was between 7 and 9 o clock yesterday evening, after that nothing else, i am glad it came like that as we dont have a big bill to settle after this one with the damage done to our place, but the sh17s were up me yesterday at the thought of more damage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I hate the phrase 'over hyped'. It just does not apply to something that you believe is a POSSIBILITY and therefore issue a very real warning about. Not a single credible forecaster ever says 'this will happen' as they just don't know.

Add to that the fact that things can swing by as much as 20% in the final few hours...

This could have grown AND moved south then it would have been a well heeded red warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Villain wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a gust of 130km/h at Malin head a non event, or 100km/h as far inland as Carlow, 15,000 people were without power this morning and trees down all over the place.

I think models weren't bad at all, the NMM4 highres based on GFS was very accurate.

Im in Tinahely and it was very bad last night dont know how people are saying there was nothing felt like my roof was coming of and gusts were very strong, there was also hailstones through most if it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

leahyl wrote: »
    Ah but in fairness, all you have to do is step outside and listen to/read the forecast to know that it's not going to get any worse.

The school will reimburse that day missed not to worry
    I see a patch of blue sky here in cork so I'm off to greet the day thanks everyone chat nxt Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely breezy lively morning here. A smiling moon and mountains almost bare of snow .. if this keeps up will head out for town in the morning. Wonderful after the terrible winds here last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Non event for limerick , was windy between 6-8pm last night , but other than that a fairly standard winters night nothing compared to some of that wind events of last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

ch750536 wrote: »
    I hate the phrase 'over hyped'. It just does not apply to something that you believe is a POSSIBILITY and therefore issue a very real warning about. Not a single credible forecaster ever says 'this will happen' as they just don't know.

Add to that the fact that things can swing by as much as 20% in the final few hours...

This could have grown AND moved south then it would have been a well heeded red warning.

^ This...I would rather be over prepared than under prepared.
    There are very knowledgeable people on here and it doesn't take a huge engagement with the grey matter to separate what they are saying from the more over'blown' stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Just saw the front page of the Indo 'Ireland engulfed by weather bomb'.

Save me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Vanolder wrote: »
    What a load of nothing. Half of Limerick is shut down due to the warning, you'd get stronger gusts from a fan. Typical irish over reaction.

Kids were coming home from school Feb 12th 2014 as 6 million trees fell. I'd argue that's a more typical Irish reaction. Glad they played safe and professionally this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What a load of nothing. Half of Limerick is shut down due to the warning, you'd get stronger gusts from a fan. Typical irish over reaction.

Can we please have a thumbs down sign as well as a thumbs up? This post is a typical NIMBY parochial Irish post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I wouldn't call a gust of 130km/h at Malin head a non event, or 100km/h as far inland as Carlow, 15,000 people were without power this morning and trees down all over the place.

I think models weren't bad at all, the NMM4 highres based on GFS was very accurate.

Malin head recorded 126km/h twice last week last so similar event up here last night. Typical winds for Malin head during a Winter storm

And I disagree pretty much a non event when u factor in it was a red warning.

Kids were coming home from school Feb 12th 2014 as 6 million trees fell. I'd argue that's a more typical Irish reaction. Glad they played safe and professionally this time.

i fully agree with you there,
    lorries were toppled, we were lucky no one was killed in the last one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just bear in mind, for all those who are 'disappointed', it's not over yet!

Last night was just Part I of the storm...Part II is yet to come as strong winds spread across the country from the NW.

It's not over 'til it's over! :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just bear in mind, for all those who are 'disappointed', it's not over yet!

Last night was just Part I of the storm...Part II is yet to come as strong winds spread across the country from the NW.

It's not over 'til it's over! :)

tis not over till the fat lady sings, and she is coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Just saw the front page of the Indo 'Ireland engulfed by weather bomb'.

Save me.

Were any mini-tornadoes spawned in that report? :rolleyes:

Yeah but it was over hyped and that's the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Malin head recorded 126km/h twice last week last so similar event up here last night. Typical winds for Malin head during a Winter storm

And I disagree pretty much a non event when u factor in it was a red warning.

Tell the 15,000 people that were without Power, 10,000 still are, that it was a non-event.

People were complaining it wasn't a red warning now they are complaining it was, its weather forecasting its not exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    Winds peaking here in Donegal Town about now i would say.

Live webcam link
    DONEGAL BAY WATERBUS WEBCAM

couldnt disagree with that (mind i'm in the office now) only had one tree looking like it would go at the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

A few of the experts around here seemed to call it around dinner time yesterday that the storm had shifted slightly north in the last couple of hours and away from the coast except the tips of Donegal.

I suppose at that point RTE, Met.ie etc. would have looked like clowns if they downgraded at the last minute.

The storm could have shifted further south too at the last minute and hit us hard, its a fine line.

Tell the 15,000 people that were without Power, 10,000 still are, that it was a non-event.

People were complaining it wasn't a red warning now they are complaining it was, its weather forecasting its not exact.

A non event in the context of a red warning. Winds were well short of what was forecast. Lots of those without power is down to lighting not winds. Of course it's not a non event for them but it was a typical storm. Not a servere storm by any means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Yeah, tbh I'm not too bothered by an over hype for limerick this time as it did get a bit blustery in other parts.
    More using it as an example to show how farcical the official warnings/prep were for Darwin.

But if many other "red" areas experienced the same as limerick then maybe they have destroyed any credibility of the official colouredy warnings.

Yeah, I got the sense that because of Darwin they weren't taking any chances warning wise with Rachel and went red where they felt the possibility was there, even if it was marginal. I presume it was the red warning that closed the schools.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all, I'd rather the red warning and it not get that bad, than the orange warning and it getting worse and everyone getting caught out.

I think Met Eireann called it as they saw it on the charts alright, but counties have distinct borders, and weather doesn't work that way, so without it getting farcical and naming say, strong winds from Killkee to Kilrush, or Glin to Patrickswell etc, it's the best system they have.

I'm sure some heads will get all blustery about it alright, but sure some people just love to give out, so at least they'll be happy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Few so called experts on here are seething that they completely got it wrong and bought into the hype.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I will say it again...last night was just Part I of the storm...Part II is yet to come as strong winds spread across the country from the NW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Drove 15 miles to work in rural west Galway. No sign of damage at all and roads were dry.

If that was a red, they need more colours. :)

A non event in the context of a red warning. Winds were well short of what was forecast. Lots of those without power is down to lighting not winds. Of course it's not a non event for them but it was a typical storm. Not a servere storm by any means

Met Eireann had to go red once the risk of gusts were above 130kmh and the fact that a gust of 130kmh was recorded shows that was correct, remember we don't have stations everywhere there could well have been gusts over 130kmh.

Few so called experts on here are seething that they completely got it wrong and bought into the hype.

Who got it completely wrong? and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Surprised at people on here giving out that it was not as bad as expected, it only takes a small movement of this storm in any direction as the where the worst or less impact will be, if ME had not called Red and it turned out to be a disaster they would look pretty bad this morning if there had been major damage and loss of life. Thank God the worst seems to be over and we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

elastico wrote: »
    A few of the experts around here seemed to call it around dinner time yesterday that the storm had shifted slightly north in the last couple of hours and away from the coast except the tips of Donegal.

I suppose at that point RTE, Met.ie etc. would have looked like clowns if they downgraded at the last minute.

The storm could have shifted further south too at the last minute and hit us hard, its a fine line.

Little movements in the track can make huge difference for this island.

Blue skies and not as much as a breeze in Mallow currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Well was talking to the mother and no damage to the home place in West cork, after last year I was afraid of something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement