Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Why was Limerick included in the red alert area? My answer is the parts os the county near the shores of the Shannon Estuary. I think these areas of North west Limerick could be exposed to gusts direct from the open ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LaGlisse wrote: »
    feel sorry for the lads who took the day of work to go storm chasingrolleyes.png

I do not. Their choice entirely. Many of such endanger rescue and emergency services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Graces7 wrote: »
    (((HUGS))) for our experts here who give so freely of their time and skill. THANK YOU.... wish I could say that in Irish!

Agree totally, Well done to all the contributors, go raibh maith agat !

Winds seem to have picked up here in Roscommon, a lot worse than the early hours, rain too. Bitterly cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

It's certainly picked up here in Tuam as well in the last hour - stormy wind and driving rain currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

I do not. Their choice entirely. Many of such endanger rescue and emergency services
    I was being sarcastic

iguana wrote: »
    It was actually really foul here in the middle of the night. The wind was incredibly strong in the early hours. If there was less damage than expected that might have something to do with people taking more precautions after last year. It's not going to have protected everything but people will have shored up vulnerable fences, weighted their trampolines, etc.

Exactly. Last year my family advised me to get a bed ready downstairs for future storms and for me last night was a safety measure and good and strong. Always good to test resources. I felt safer and got more rest than I did a couple of weeks ago. I brought the gate sign in for safety..

I was being sarcastic

Really? OK! I agree of course then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

17,000 without power now with 10,000 in Donegal alone and ESB say some will be without it overnight!

The problem is when we are told this is the worst storm ever and red event flashes everywhere people get a false sense of security when the storm isnt as powerful as expected.

Come the next superstorm you will have people doing stupid things thinking it wont be that bad and ultimately lives will be lost.

With that said , Thanks to those predicting the weather on here, I trust your forecasts more than ME, and its great seeing how the weather plays-out across the country from all the various posts.

Well YOU might but I wont. What is lost by being careful please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Not true ... they tend to know what they are doing and in other parts of the world storm chasers stop and even tell emergency services they are in the wrong spot resulting in emergency services following them out of harms way

+1 million. No real issue with the warning etc but people on here posting about how they are scared to leave the house, get a grip! Im in donegal, commuted into work this morn as usual, not a bother, slept like a baby.

Who is scared? I am not; we are simply careful and responsible.

weisses wrote: »
    Not true ... they tend to know what they are doing and in other parts of the world storm chasers stop and even tell emergency services they are in the wrong spot resulting in emergency services following them out of harms way

Interesting and untrue in Ireland but there you go then.. am remembering rescues after the storm last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Interesting and untrue in Ireland but there you go then.. am remembering rescues after the storm last year.

Was that the result of people storm chasing ?

I do remember that woman being swamped somewhere in Waterford or Wexford .... She was hardly storm chasing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thanks to the advice here last year, i was saved alot of hardship,

we lost a third of our roof, all those around me lost part of their roofs, but some of us had cut back trees that could have caused more harm, and i am glad i did that, as the trees did not stand a chance,

when it was over, we could not find a tradesman, god help us if we depended on the insurance entirely as they were backlogged with claims,
    people risked their health getting on old ladders with the wrong attire for that kind of job themselves, needing to get the homes water tight as we were all open to the elements, we had to wait till end of may to have the men in as they were too busy to even look at our damage never mind fix,
    then there was the dread of another lesser storm that could clear the rest of the roof as it was now open to the elements,
    we were set back financially, due to this,
    i am happy that we were safe ourselves, money dont buy everything just things.

textiles wrote: »
    Gusts have intensified strongly again in last hour in north west Clare - a very rough night and will be glad when this one is over. The short-range charts on met.ie have been fairly accurate for anticipating general movement of this storm along this bit of the coast. And very grateful for the expertise of some members on this thread.

Still a strong wind up here in the Kerry mountains too..sunshine too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Very blustery in Galway city now with heavy, driving rain/hail

Current wind speed 53.0 km/h Wind direction WSW
    Recent gust 79.0 km/h
    10 minute average 47.0 km/h

Highest gust so far during this event 87 km/h at 09:15 this morning

goat2 wrote: »
    thanks to the advice here last year, i was saved alot of hardship,

we lost a third of our roof, all those around me lost part of their roofs, but some of us had cut back trees that could have caused more harm, and i am glad i did that, as the trees did not stand a chance,

when it was over, we could not find a tradesman, god help us if we depended on the insurance entirely as they were backlogged with claims,
    people risked their health getting on old ladders with the wrong attire for that kind of job themselves, needing to get the homes water tight as we were all open to the elements, we had to wait till end of may to have the men in as they were too busy to even look at our damage never mind fix,
    then there was the dread of another lesser storm that could clear the rest of the roof as it was now open to the elements,
    we were set back financially, due to this,
    i am happy that we were safe ourselves, money dont buy everything just things.

Dreadful but as you say you are safe. We were luckier here as only 4 tiles went. You are safe again now? But yes it breeds fear for the next storm. Like me with my experiences of the island and losing family in the Tsunami and breeds huge respect for the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The12thMan wrote: »

Judging by the strength of the winds coming in from the north in the current image, she's still got some serious potential to do some damage in the north west. 100-110 km/h winds with gusts to be well stronger I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Very very wild here in sandyford, Dublin 18. Thankfully no damage last night but it seems to have whipped up again in the last hour. 959 hPa but my machine doesn't tell me wind speeds. Very cold too considering its 5c.

Thanks guys for all your advice. I'm not a huge storm fan but I'm still enthralled by the chat.

Hoping for the snow to materialise next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 aroch10

Electricity gone in Foxford area.. Co.Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Winds definitely seem stronger in Dublin today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Met Eireann has updated its weather warnings - still 5 counties which Red applies to. Some counties gone from Orange to Yellow

National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Southwest veering west winds of mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h., with gusts of 130 to 150km/h possible. The strongest winds will be along exposed coasts and mountainous areas.
    Issued:
    Thursday 15 January 2015 09:54
    Valid:
    Wednesday 14 January 2015 20:00 to Thursday 15 January 2015 14:00

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford

Southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 120 km/h at times, highest in exposed areas. Winds will veer westerly later.
    Issued:
    Thursday 15 January 2015 09:45
    Valid:
    Thursday 15 January 2015 10:00 to Thursday 15 January 2015 18:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath and Tipperary

Southwest winds of mean speeds of 50 to 65km/hr., with gust of 100 to 110km/h
    Issued:
    Thursday 15 January 2015 09:00
    Valid:
    Thursday 15 January 2015 10:00 to Thursday 15 January 2015 18:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Definitely ramping up here now

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

The problem is when we are told this is the worst storm ever and red event flashes everywhere people get a false sense of security when the storm isnt as powerful as expected.

Come the next superstorm you will have people doing stupid things thinking it wont be that bad and ultimately lives will be lost.

With that said , Thanks to those predicting the weather on here, I trust your forecasts more than ME, and its great seeing how the weather plays-out across the country from all the various posts.

We were not told it was the worst storm ever. We were told it would be bad and for some it was and indeed it still is. So many on here focused on 'me' not bothering to read or acknowledge that many on here had or still having a very different experience.

Despite the warnings last year it did not stop people from doing 'stupid' things and indeed not far from me here in NW Clare a surfer had to be rescued. http://www.clarechampion.ie/miraculous-escape-for-surfer-in-treacherous-conditions/ So 'stupid' people have and always will do 'stupid' things.
    There are excellent contributions here all year from people who give up their time to help those of us with limited knowledge, MT, Maq, Weathercheck, Iancar etc. It is greatly appreciated and indeed it is the one place many come for their weather info. You can get it all here and is freely available. The attempts by some to denigrate people who try to help is not nice to read.
    The school warnings were valid, certainly around here where the winds are still howling. In many areas where the winds are worst, people are prepared and know to tidy up and put stuff away safely. They are well used to it.
    As I finish typing this we are in the middle of a hail shower and the wind gusts have increased once again. That is the beauty of weather, we had bright sunshine some minutes ago with strongish winds, now it has gone dark, with hail and ever increasing gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There was some guy from Met Eireann on local radio in Galway and he said that we have been very lucky with the winds not being as bad as forecast, he also said we missed a lot of tornadoes that have passed to our South and into the South of England, it has got very blustery in Galway again with hail showers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Definitely ramping up here now

Ditto, winds picking up here again in south Dublin.

Mace head reporting 85 kmh gusting to 120 kmh at 1100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Tralee Bay,

Getting cloudier, wind picking up again. Temperature has dropped and as I write it is starting to rain heavily.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford

Nothing of any excitement overnight, some blustery moments this morning but that's all. Lovely and sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Getting frequent gusts over 80 km/h now in Galway city

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement