Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia - public flogging for insulting Islam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

mod9maple wrote: »
    Specifically or exactly no, but the religious nuts in this country sure made the lives of an awful lot of people, young and old, a merry hell. Don't you agree? Industrial schools, Magdalene laundries, corporal punishment in schools etc etc. Is Ireland a good place to live now? Better than Saudi Arabia, yes. Was it always? No. Why? Religious domination of society. What changed it? Education, secularisation, and ultimately the liberation of mind and body.

Typical simplistic nonsense, Ireland was always better than Saudi Arabia. And religion, in both cases, is not the main issue but rather society. Secular schools had corporal punishment and Saudi it is a medieval society, other Islamic countries do not adopt its practices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Yeh there were undoubtedly awful aspects to Ireland due to the church - up to at least the early 1970s, even some of the legacy continuing up to the 1990s.
    But there is a tendency to pretend it was as bad as a dictatorship for everyone who lived there too. It wasn't.
    I wouldn't even call it a theocracy. A borderline theocracy in some ways, perhaps, but no Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

It's the rules of the country, if you don't like them get out of the place, same with people coming here and wanting to have their own rules implemented on us.
    With this attitude we would still have slavery and despotic kingdoms everywhere.

How do you think that the current 'rules of the country' here came about?
    They came about thanks to people willing to challenge status quo. People like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Egginacup wrote: »
    :pac:

Don't be naive. The US and Saudi Arabia have an agreement Saudi Arabia sells it oil to the West and manipulates the price according to US wishes (John Kerry's trip before Christmas to the Kingdom to get them to expand production and sink the price in order to try and ruin the Russian economy).
    The US in turns says to the Saudis "look we don't give a shit about human rights, gay rights, women's rights, kids' rights or any of that crap. You can massacre your people for all we care. We are only interested in buying your oil and selling you military equipment. Obviously once in a while when you behead some faggot or stone some whore to death or chop the hands off some worthless peasant we might come out and verbally condemn it but that's just for show. We have our arrangements with you and nothing else matters!"
    Low oil prices are bad for the US, because shale oil is more expensive to extract. The US was almost self-sustainable when prices were high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Ah yeah sure people were forever being tied to molly mollones barrow and being lashed for forgetting to go to mass
    No, but we did put women into institutions for having kids outside of marriage. What they endured in these institutions wasn't very pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Unfortunately this argument seems to be applied selectively when taking about France banning the Niqab we say "If you don't like the rules of the country leave" even though among those Muslim women are French citizen who converted to Islam. In this case a person while clearly aware of the blasphemy laws in his country and the punishment it carries decided "feck it I'll do what I want" while living in the country soil.

Just like the Muslim women who decide to wear Burqa in France she must be prepared to deal with the country rules and fines involved, when a man in Saudi Arabia commits blasphemy and insults the religion of the state knowing the rules, he must be ready to deal with the country rules and punishment involved.

The situation may vary but it remains that each country has its own laws and constitution, and by living in the country you agree to follow and be ruled & judged by such laws.

Similar to the case of the Irish citizen imprisoned in Egypt he visited the country and will be judged and ruled by its laws and the Irish government cannot interfere with that.

Since you constantly defend islam to the hilt and engage in rampant whataboutery when it comes to sticky subjects I take it you approve of Saudi Arabia's stance on blasphemy and apostasy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    No, but we did put women into institutions for having kids outside of marriage. What they endured in these institutions wasn't very pleasant.

And clearly that was a bad thing. Just because bad things happened here doesn't justfiy bad things happening in Saudi Arabia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That is just so disgusting, the poor man
    His back will be in absolute tatters with wounds trying to heal the second week, never mind every week after that

They're mad for whipping over there. Didn't they whip some little girl "for being rude to her principal"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

I don't care how much money and oil they have, but if they keep doing barbaric and backwards things, then people will think they are barbaric and backwards people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

They were going to give him a vicious cartooning but they decided to go easy and give him a flogging instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

What an absolute sh!t hole of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Rezident wrote: »
    then people will think they are barbaric and backwards people.

They are a barbaric, backward people.

This case highlights that.

A financially rich but morally bankrupt nation. Only their oil makes them anyway noteworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Oil price keeps falling and this will hurt them good and proper, they deserve to be wandering around the desert like they were before, no place for that country in the modern world.

They planned the oil price fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

And clearly that was a bad thing. Just because bad things happened here doesn't justfiy bad things happening in Saudi Arabia.
    I wasn't attempting to justify what's happening in Saudi Arabia. I was just countering a point made by another poster.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Barbaric animals. Come out of the dark ages will ye.

This time next week you'll have forgotten about this episode. Gone are the days when murder and atrocities entrenched their horror in peoples' minds for months.

Nobody can even remember the name of the cop who strangled Eric Garner to death. Nobody can even remember the name of the cop or the 'prosecutor' who exonnerated the killer of Michael Brown. Nobody gives a toss about the two cops who wasted Tamir Rice.

By Sunday this will be forgotten.....but there will be some more security "measures" to fcuk with us and keep us "safe", I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

bluewolf wrote: »
    That is just so disgusting, the poor man
    His back will be in absolute tatters with wounds trying to heal the second week, never mind every week after that

They're mad for whipping over there. Didn't they whip some little girl "for being rude to her principal"?

The vid of it is floating around and if it's to be legit, he won't have any worries on that front, fully dressed and is smacked with a stick as opposed to whipped, It was over in less then 30 seconds . Appears to be a humiliation tactic more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

The vid of it is floating around and if it's to be legit, he won't have any worries on that front, fully dressed and is smacked with a stick as opposed to whipped, It was over in less then 30 seconds . Appears to be a humiliation tactic more than anything.

50 lashes in 30 seconds? I think you may be mistaken. Most news sources are reporting it lasted 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The news source I checked had a video with it. Now as I say it may not be legit but it certainly was a man getting hit with a sick somewhere in the Arab world.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Oil price keeps falling and this will hurt them good and proper, they deserve to be wandering around the desert like they were before, no place for that country in the modern world.

They are the ones who control the price of oil and have driven the current price down.

Thanks for your well-thought-out geopolitical synopsis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

:pac:

Don't be naive. The US and Saudi Arabia have an agreement Saudi Arabia sells its oil to the West and manipulates the price according to US wishes (John Kerry's trip before Christmas to the Kingdom to get them to expand production and sink the price in order to try and ruin the Russian economy).
    The US in turn says to the Saudis "look we don't give a shit about human rights, gay rights, women's rights, kids' rights or any of that crap. You can massacre your people for all we care. We are only interested in buying your oil and selling you military equipment. Obviously once in a while when you behead some faggot or stone some whore to death or chop the hands off some worthless peasant we might come out and verbally condemn it but that's just for show. We have our arrangements with you and nothing else matters!"

Hard to see why the US would undermine its own interests ( oil self sufficiency) in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Wasn't Ireland a religious run country for ages. A catholic version of sharia.

I don't recall ever seeing religious police on the streets here. I may be wrong but I have only ever seen the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Typical simplistic nonsense, Ireland was always better than Saudi Arabia. And religion, in both cases, is not the main issue but rather society. Secular schools had corporal punishment and Saudi it is a medieval society, other Islamic countries do not adopt its practices.

The rape victims of the Catholic Church may well disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Zebra3 wrote: »

I'd say the old repressive Ireland was more like Iran, there's a veneer of democracy but politicians wouldn't get anywhere without kissing a lot of clerics' arses.

Also, it might not be the same as the Saudi religious police, but the Gardaí were heavily involved in the re-capture of people who escaped Magdalene laundries and industrial schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

To my knowledge Saudi Arabias legal system is Sharia Law.

Its amazing to see Fox News's Sean Hannity speak about the horrors of IS and enforcing Sharia Law in the Islamic State when USA's best friends Saudi Arabia recognises the so called evil Sharia Law.

The USA and especially Fox News are hypocrites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

mikeym wrote: »

Its amazing to see Fox News's Sean Hannity speak about the horrors of IS and enforcing Sharia Law in the Islamic State when USA's best friends Saudi Arabia recognises the so called evil Sharia Law.

Nothing we didnt know about Fox "News" anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

mikeym wrote: »

Murdoch is a businessman. He is a vendor who sells a product and does what he is paid to do which is push agendas on behalf of his customers. None of this is more evident than in Fox news. I've no doubt he gets well paid by the US Gov for the absolute garbage that Fox spew out to millions of Americans.

Zebra3 wrote: »

The Catholic church probably was no more or less abusive of children in its custody than secular organisations would have been ( or were in non-Catholic countries)

This time next week you'll have forgotten about this episode. Gone are the days when murder and atrocities entrenched their horror in peoples' minds for months.

Nobody can even remember the name of the cop who strangled Eric Garner to death. Nobody can even remember the name of the cop or the 'prosecutor' who exonnerated the killer of Michael Brown. Nobody gives a toss about the two cops who wasted Tamir Rice.

By Sunday this will be forgotten.....but there will be some more security "measures" to fcuk with us and keep us "safe", I'm sure.

Give over. All of those stories was, in anything, massively over covered in the irish media.

They are the ones who control the price of oil and have driven the current price down.

Thanks for your well-thought-out geopolitical synopsis.

As opposed to your well thought out conspiracy story where the U.S. conspired to destroy its own oil producers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Gone are the days when murder and atrocities entrenched their horror in peoples' minds for months.
    Indeed. Oh for the halcyon days of when murder, atrocities, war were remarkable events.

Advertisement