Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia - public flogging for insulting Islam

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Hard to see why the US would undermine its own interests ( oil self sufficiency) in this case.

What exactly are you saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Catholic church probably was no more or less abusive of children in its custody than secular organisations would have been ( or were in non-Catholic countries)

Have you got the stats to back that the up?

And a lot of kids who were being raped by top members of the Roman church were not in the custody of the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

donvito99 wrote: »
    Hopefully the price of oil stays low, will put these boys out of business. They're running a $38bn deficit.

They have $750 billion in reserves. They are not worried yet and are even increasing spending. Come back in 3-5 years when reserves are below $100 billion

Egginacup wrote: »
    They are the ones who control the price of oil and have driven the current price down.

Thanks for your well-thought-out geopolitical synopsis.

They haven't willingly brought the price down but because of shale oil bringing the price down, now it is they are intent on keeping it down to put the competitors out of business.
    I don't think it will work as a strategy, long term

They have $750 billion in reserves. They are not worried yet and are even increasing spending. Come back in 3-5 years when reserves are below $100 billion

That figures independently verified?

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That figures independently verified?
    Yes, it's on the web from reliable sites. here's one. They've being saving for years.

http://www.aawsat.net/2014/10/article55337297

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hard to see why the US would undermine its own interests ( oil self sufficiency) in this case.
    Low oil prices hurt Iran and Israel, who control the US, and Saudi both have issues with Iran, so Saudi will keep the US supplied with Oil on the cheap while they hammer Iran and Russia, who cannot sustain low oil prices over the medium long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I won't hide it:

I fucking hate Saudis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If the videos are legit, it didn't look too bad and was over in less than 30 seconds. Looks like it is intended to cause humiliation as opposed to pain.

Barbaric practice.

Yeah I thought it looked more like a symbolic /humiliating punishment as well, if still obviously barbaric. If they were beating the poor guy full strength with that frequency, he'd probably be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

An odious nation with far too much money and influence.
    I can never understand why anyone would want to go and work there.
    It could have been worse for him - they could have brought him to the square and lopped his head off with a ceremonial sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

anncoates wrote: »
    Yeah I thought it looked more like a symbolic /humiliating punishment as well, if still obviously barbaric. If they were beating the poor guy full strength with that frequency, he'd probably be dead.

And that what this is. Public humiliation.

The "lashes" that are dished out are equivalent to the stocks from Middle Ages Europe. Not exactly agony, but uncomfortable and humiliating.

When people see this article they'll of course think that it lashes being dealt out by a bull whip, 'Mutiny on the Bounty' style. But a 1000 of those will kill you stone dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

kstand wrote: »

No income tax.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It could have been worse for him - they could have brought him to the square and lopped his head off with a ceremonial sword.

Its all about the moolah !

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

No income tax.

And no conscience, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The sooner these dark ages cnuts run out of oil thr better

What do you think is going to happen when that happens? they become a forgotten part of the world like Mongolia or Kazacktan ? Its the oil that keeps them down. The day they realise that they gave us Trignometery, the pyramids, the Bagdad battery, three point sail, decimal system, radians and start working on science and real commerce, they will become a real force to be reckoned with.

Imagine a United Arabian Kingdom stretching from North Africa into Western Asia. It would would have an administrative capital in Terhan and second city in Cairo. The Usual Religion cities would have cultural protection like Jersulem (wait until they kick the Jews out), Mecca and Damascus ..... Now that is Scary. They will have a massive presence in Europe. They will be independent with indigenous food and manufacturing, financial institutions and commerce with their own reserarch scientists.

This is a world without oil. Oil keeps them argueing with eachother like dogs under the table fighting over scraps when they should have a seat at the table. I hope I never live to see this day.

There is a difference between nation and state.

The state is a dictatorship backed by the West, despised by a lot of natives.

Imagine a United Arabian Kingdom stretching from North Africa into Western Asia. It would would have an administrative capital in Terhan and second city in Cairo. The Usual Religion cities would have cultural protection like Jersulem (wait until they kick the Jews out), Mecca and Damascus ..... Now that is Scary.

Do you write for the Daily Mail or are you just a reader?

Neither a Col. T.E. Lawrence Fan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

This is why I'm glad I live in a place like Ireland.
    Indeed.

We only face the risk of a €25,000 fine and possibly imprisonment for blasphemy.

At least our backs will be ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Worked there a few times after 9/11 when there was no work in my line anywhere else. No better way to become racist than entering Saudi. Bunch of c***s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Have you got the stats to back that the up?

And a lot of kids who were being raped by top members of the Roman church were not in the custody of the church.

The stats would depend on there being fewer cover ups in other jurisdictions.

What do you think is going to happen when that happens? they become a forgotten part of the world like Mongolia or Kazacktan ? Its the oil that keeps them down. The day they realise that they gave us Trignometery, the pyramids, the Bagdad battery, three point sail, decimal system, radians and start working on science and real commerce, they will become a real force to be reckoned with.

Imagine a United Arabian Kingdom stretching from North Africa into Western Asia. It would would have an administrative capital in Terhan and second city in Cairo. The Usual Religion cities would have cultural protection like Jersulem (wait until they kick the Jews out), Mecca and Damascus ..... Now that is Scary. They will have a massive presence in Europe. They will be independent with indigenous food and manufacturing, financial institutions and commerce with their own reserarch scientists.

This is a world without oil. Oil keeps them argueing with eachother like dogs under the table fighting over scraps when they should have a seat at the table. I hope I never live to see this day.

Who the Fcuk writes the insane history books you read?

Low oil prices hurt Iran and Israel, who control the US, and Saudi both have issues with Iran, so Saudi will keep the US supplied with Oil on the cheap while they hammer Iran and Russia, who cannot sustain low oil prices over the medium long term.

Um ok. Iran controls the U.S.?

The claim that Saudi is working with the US to undermine Russia is nonsense. Russia is no threat to Saudi Arabia. They are trying to undermine the U.S. Shale industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A cleric there has declared a fatwa on snowmen and "Mickey Mouse is an agent of satan"

http://nypost.com/2015/01/13/saudi-arabian-cleric-issues-fatwa-on-snowmen/

If it was on the Simpsons you'd laugh but this is real life,dark ages idiocy.

Who the Fcuk writes the insane history books you read?

Please state which part you have a problem with?
    Advanced Mathematical workings were needed for the consturction of the Pyramids. The Bagdad batter is featured in wall paintings in Egypt, The Europeans didnt come around to a three point sail until centries afterwards. Arabs have used advanced metalurgical workings to render gold onto wood and many other sciences that have been lost. Using Fungal poisons and radioactive stones to as deterrents to entering tombs

United Arabian Kingdom? Col. Lawrence envisaged it under King Faisel post World War One (Seven Pillars of Wisdom). Once the Moorish empire covered most of North Africa and into Spain (Cordoba) and Italy. Jews driven from Israel Been done many times during the crusades and have only recently in the last 60 years returned to the Holy Land before that they were given scanctury in Northern Europe (Poland Germany UK Holland France) post the crusades because of their crafts and trades.

What books do you be reading?

I could ask you a similar question.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Saudi Arabia: A truly barbaric and deeply backward society propped up by oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What have they invented say in the last.....500 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Socities like these sicken me. Hopefully we can invent a time machine and throw them back to the medieval age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Auldloon wrote: »
    Worked there a few times after 9/11 when there was no work in my line anywhere else. No better way to become racist than entering Saudi. Bunch of c***s

All of them of course :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What have they invented say in the last.....500 years?

Ypu could say that about the chinese too .... Same story only Opium.
    How could a little country like Great Britian subdue a place like China?
    Look how far China has come in the last 40 years, they are now in the Space race.

I remember laughing at a lecturer in college in 1999. "The Chinese are going to be the No1 manufacturer of computers in 5 years". We were so full of ourselves we never saw it coming. We viewed China as then as a second world country with barbaric civil rights, poor access to education and health care, making mass produced cheap goods. Within 3 years Compaq and Gateway were gone and Apple were repacking Chinese computers in Ireland, "Product of the EU". See how fast they have come up? I dont see a lot of difference between Communist States of the cold war and Tinpot dictatorships in the middle east (keep 'em poor, hungry, sick and uneducated). Irish Colleges get a premium payment (x6) for a Chinese Student over an Irish Student.

Now China holds most of the American debts. They dont sell an ounce of steel only finished goods. They had done deals in Africa over mineral and mining rights. As our lecturer said "1 Billion Chinese cannot be wrong".

This future Kingom are in a better place than China geographically for the Silk road and Suez canal. Yes it will have problems with water and agriculture but so has Israel and they over came it. Now do you see my point? I feel a little foolish saying then "The only thing China are good for are squeaky toys and cantonese Chicken".

Advertisement