Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia - public flogging for insulting Islam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Saudi Arabia is the most oppressive of the Islamic regimes that people are so fond of condemning, yet they will never be invaded or occupied or have any kind of aerial freedom dropped on them, because they have good oil deals with the US, and they play ball and do what they are told. Had Iraq et al been this way, they would not have been invaded/interfered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Field east

Has any poster ever witnessed a flogging and what was it like. For example does the flogger come down on the back, I assume, with each lash as hard as is possible or is each lash just going through the motions of a flogging. Has it got to do with the public shaming of the individual rather than trying to inflict maximum physical punishment?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's the rules of the country, if you don't like them get out of the place, same with people coming here and wanting to have their own rules implemented on us.

Is there something wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

donvito99 wrote: »
    Hopefully the price of oil stays low, will put these boys out of business. They're running a $38bn deficit.

Some estimates reckon that their oil wells will run dry in 15 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

donvito99 wrote: »
    Hopefully the price of oil stays low, will put these boys out of business. They're running a $38bn deficit.

I hardly think so. Given that they're primarily the boys that are driving the price down at the moment.

If anyone goes out of business it will be the extractors of inherently more expensive oil. Like shale-gas and sand-oil drillers and frackers in the states. Or north sea oil drillers from the UK and Norway.

Sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Fianna Fail also put blasphemy laws in place in this country. Completely at odds with freedom of speech and seperation of church and state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I hardly think so. Given that they're primarily the boys that are driving the price down at the moment.

If anyone goes out of business it will be the extractors of inherently more expensive oil. Like shale-gas and sand-oil drillers and frackers in the states. Or north sea oil drillers from the UK and Norway.

Sadly.

100% correct, it's OPEC who are driving the price down by pumping up production in a price war targetting the US, Canada, Russia etc

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Defender OF Faith

It's the rules of the country, if you don't like them get out of the place, same with people coming here and wanting to have their own rules implemented on us.

Unfortunately this argument seems to be applied selectively when taking about France banning the Niqab we say "If you don't like the rules of the country leave" even though among those Muslim women are French citizen who converted to Islam. In this case a person while clearly aware of the blasphemy laws in his country and the punishment it carries decided "feck it I'll do what I want" while living in the country soil.

Just like the Muslim women who decide to wear Burqa in France she must be prepared to deal with the country rules and fines involved, when a man in Saudi Arabia commits blasphemy and insults the religion of the state knowing the rules, he must be ready to deal with the country rules and punishment involved.

The situation may vary but it remains that each country has its own laws and constitution, and by living in the country you agree to follow and be ruled & judged by such laws.

Similar to the case of the Irish citizen imprisoned in Egypt he visited the country and will be judged and ruled by its laws and the Irish government cannot interfere with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

mod9maple wrote: »
    Yeah, now. The place wasn't so great in the not so distant past. Wonder why it's changed? Hmmmm.

The economy improved.

Ask most Irish people why the period between 1950's to the '70s were so miserable (who were alive to experience it) they will probably say it was because the economy was in tatters.

Whenever I asked someone (parents, teachers, relatives) was it really so repressive to live under the thumb of the Church back then, generally they said that looking back it probably was repressive but they weren't aware of it at the time. They were more concerned about how they could put food on the table and heat their homes (how times have changed!).

Either way, its absurd to compare Catholic Ireland in the 20th century with Saudi Arabia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Nothing will be said about this on the US end of things,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

mod9maple wrote: »
    Specifically or exactly no, but the religious nuts in this country sure made the lives of an awful lot of people, young and old, a merry hell. Don't you agree? Industrial schools, Magdalene laundries, corporal punishment in schools etc etc. Is Ireland a good place to live now? Better than Saudi Arabia, yes. Was it always? No. Why? Religious domination of society. What changed it? Education, secularisation, and ultimately the liberation of mind and body.

not Specifically ,exactly or even to anywhere near the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The ten year prison sentence isn't exactly a walk in the park over here either, not like those cushy places in Ireland.

I also thought they whipped people as a matter of course after Friday prayer so are those 1000 lashes in addition to what would normally be doled out I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Barbaric animals. Come out of the dark ages will ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

Wasn't Ireland a religious run country for ages. A catholic version of sharia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

The economy improved.

Ask most Irish people why the period between 1950's to the '70s were so miserable (who were alive to experience it) they will probably say it was because the economy was in tatters.

Whenever I asked someone (parents, teachers, relatives) was it really so repressive to live under the thumb of the Church back then, generally they said that looking back it probably was repressive but they weren't aware of it at the time. They were more concerned about how they could put food on the table and heat their homes (how times have changed!).

Either way, its absurd to compare Catholic Ireland in the 20th century with Saudi Arabia.

lived through it so i can tell my tale, it was not only the church, the state were as bad, the papers printed what they were told up to a point, the church used the state and visa versa, i got me a job in the first factory to be built in the 10 parishes in the early 70's, an election came due, we were all taken down to a pub roughly 50 of us, we got tea and a few sambos, then a pep talk from the big guy down from dublin, who told us in no uncertain terms that we wanted to keepour jobs we had to vote ff, because if they did not get back into power our jobs were gone, wwe were then offered 3 pints of eithe stout or beer, and got the rest of the shift off, no word about the 70% tax being lowered, no just do as your told, not that i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

flutered wrote: »
    told us in no uncertain terms that we wanted to keepour jobs we had to vote ff, because if they did not get back into power our jobs were gone

I wonder how they expected to know which way you voted?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lightspeed wrote: »
    I hope for nuclear power to replace oil dependancu in EU and then maybe western countries can grow a spine and pass santions against these medieval countries.
    How will nuclear power reduce dependence on oil ?

We use oil for transport.

Investing in Nuclear means almost no spin off technology. By 1944 we had multiple reactors breeding plutonium. Reactors give off heat. To get electricity you just need 19th century steam turbine powered generator technology. And nuclear isn't even remotely close to cheap.

Investing in renewables means more spin off technologies that could challenge oil usage in transport. Better batteries, grid infrastructure, more efficient electric machines and control systems. And the possibility of energy to fuel from surplus power.

Also the ruling families in S.A. have large foreign investments that benefit from cheap oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah yeah sure people were forever being tied to molly mollones barrow and being lashed for forgetting to go to mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It wasnt that bad, assuming you weren't an unmarried mother or unlucky alter boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That's not as easy as you'd think. *cough*North Korea*cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Saudi Arabia is our ally.

How can people insult our ally like this?

They give us oil, terrorists, bad dress sense and the right to be oppressed.

Ok I rule 1000 lashes of a whip from Ann Summers for the the highest ranking Saudi official in Ireland, presuming there is some Saudi official here to whip, I want to record it and sell it to women as a male version of 50 shades of grey in a 20 episode series.

Now to lobby the government to fund it through the arts council and I am willing to give all revenue to government if they make it happen, women love that 50 shades of crap...and it would help close our budget deficit.

Ah yeah sure people were forever being tied to molly mollones barrow and being lashed for forgetting to go to mass

They were read from the altar. They were isolated. I think I said a catholic version of sharia. Maybe not. There was child rape by priests hidden by bishops. There were laws about censorship. There was symphsiotomy. There was no divorce. There was no contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They were read from the altar. They were isolated. I think I said a catholic version of sharia. Maybe not. There was child rape by priests hidden by bishops. There were laws about censorship. There was symphsiotomy. There was no divorce. There was no contraception.
    Actually yeah, Ireland was probably worse than Saudi Arabia, maybe you should go to live there and enjoy the vast personal and religious freedoms that would be afforded to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Saudi Arabia and Russia hate each other.

Cheap oil is a way for Saudi Arabia to attack Russia, OPEC had the opportunity to reduce oil production, instead they maintained production knowing it would drive oil prices down.

Russia supports Assad in Syria, the Saudi's wants him removed given Assad is an ally of Iran,, with Iran the main enemy of the Saudi's.

Oil wars suit Saudi, it is weakening an ally of Syria.

Actually yeah, Ireland was probably worse than Saudi Arabia, maybe you should go to live there and enjoy the vast personal and religious freedoms that would be afforded to you?

I can't go back in time to that Ireland. It's gone. It was awful. I only realised it when the truth came out and I travelled years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Egginacup wrote: »
    John Kerry's trip before Christmas to the Kingdom to get them to expand production and sink the price in order to try and ruin the Russian economy

Which in fact has been a tremendous success .. thank-you all, thank-you mr. kerry :)

yes, whilst filling up with diesel today i smiled and thought of the poisoned dwarf and the liar lavrov ... heh-heh-heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

And our parents thought getting a smack of a cane across the hand was bad from Brothers/nuns
    Well it was bad.
    Egginacup wrote: »
    The US in turns says to the Saudis "look we don't give a shit about human rights, gay rights, women's rights, kids' rights or any of that crap. You can massacre your people for all we care. We are only interested in buying your oil and selling you military equipment. Obviously once in a while when you behead some faggot or stone some whore to death or chop the hands off some worthless peasant we might come out and verbally condemn it but that's just for show. We have our arrangements with you and nothing else matters!"
    An exact script written in your head n' all. :pac:
    Vomit wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia is the most oppressive of the Islamic regimes that people are so fond of condemning, yet they will never be invaded or occupied or have any kind of aerial freedom dropped on them, because they have good oil deals with the US, and they play ball and do what they are told. Had Iraq et al been this way, they would not have been invaded/interfered with.
    What do you mean "so fond of condemning"? They're condemned because it makes sense, not because people are "fond" or not fond of doing so. :confused:
    Wasn't Ireland a religious run country for ages.
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If the videos are legit, it didn't look too bad and was over in less than 30 seconds. Looks like it is intended to cause humiliation as opposed to pain.

Barbaric practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jeez if nobody took a stand in this world where would we be.
    Oi! Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther king... Gandhi.. if ye don't like it then just leave.. dems de rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

If you stand up to a horrible regime, you are in for it... which makes it downright brave in my book. I wouldn't do it. Thank feck there are people who would, and have done so throughout the ages, making life better for lots of us.

Advertisement