Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I'm still rocking a 5 or 6 year old system. i7 920 3.9GHz, 12GB Ram, GTX 580 1.5. Running like a champ on a 1080P monitor. Well I have another 1440x900 monitor as well but I sometimes turn that off while gaming.
    what? you missed the memo? most of us that were on i7 920's took the 80euro upgrade path to a Xeon x5650 sporting 6 cores, extra L cache, 32nm, higher overclock, lower temps and lower power consumption!!!!!!

My Xeon is about 16C lower than my old 920@4Ghz so i whacked it up to 4.4Ghz, the increased overall performance boost is brilliant for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think all that goes to Dodger's Animé Bull**** list and stays there never to be seen by mine eyes :p

Who'd Dodger? :confused:

Links234 wrote: »
    Who'd Dodger? :confused:
    the hot chick on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

lmimmfn wrote: »
    what? you missed the memo? most of us that were on i7 920's took the 80euro upgrade path to a Xeon x5650 sporting 6 cores, extra L cache, 32nm, higher overclock, lower temps and lower power consumption!!!!!!

My Xeon is about 16C lower than my old 920@4Ghz so i whacked it up to 4.4Ghz, the increased overall performance boost is brilliant for the money.

I did miss this memo. I only got into PC gaming and started lurking these forums recently.

Sorry for double post. Where would I pick one of those up?

• Advertisement

Sorry for double post. Where would I pick one of those up?
    EBay, theyre second hand server chips, what's your mono and revision though? Best to check compatibility, although my gigabyte x58 rev 1 doesnt officially support them it works no probs

EBay, what's your mono and revision though? Best to check compatibility, although my gigabyte x58 rev 1 doesnt officially support them it works no probs

I have the exact same board as you X58A-UD7 rev1 Gigabyte.

Where do you find out what boards support them?

edit: Looked up and supposedly mine supports it. Which board do you have? so I can see if the same site says if yours will support it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

"the hot chick on youtube" - really? :rolleyes:

She's a YT and Twitch gaming person, does the Cooptional Podcast with TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox. She does enjoy her animoo and it's a running joke with that crew. She even has a curator's page: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6858093-Dodger%27s-Anime-Bullsh%2At/

never watched any of her stuff, so looked her up and just finished watching her top 14 of the year ;)

I have the exact same board as you X58A-UD7 rev1 Gigabyte.

Where do you find out what boards support them?

edit: Looked up and supposedly mine supports it. Which board do you have? so I can see if the same site says if yours will support it?
    mines the UD5, but as far as i know the UD7 officially supports it, check the official Gigabyte site for that mobo. Like i said though X58UD5 rev 1 doesnt officially support it on the Gigabyte page, says support alright for rev 2 but it works on mine no problem.
    The best threads to check are hardocp - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820772&page=12
    and http://www.overclock.net/t/1461359/official-xeon-x5660-x58-review-discussion-and-xeon-l5639-benchmarks-inside

the 5660, 5670 and 5675 are also options depending on your budget, they have higher multipliers for overclocking, so probably get a higher overclock or wont strain the chip much to get 4.4Ghz or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

lol, well she is! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

And that's all she is, yea?

If you ever hear people talking about everyday or casual sexism, that's the classic example. You have reduced a human being to nothing more than an object by saying she is nothing more than "hot" whilst saying nothing about who that human is as a person. I know you didn't mean it as any sort of an insult or in any sort of negative way, but if you see this sorta thing, you gotta call it out or it never goes away, and I'd really rather it went away. :)

AH is the place for talking about sexism :P

this thread has gone seriously fcuked up the last few days.

from men arses to hot chicks....teh fcuk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

She also makes funny noises.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If you ever hear people talking about everyday or casual sexism, that's the classic example. You have reduced a human being to nothing more than an object by saying she is nothing more than "hot" whilst saying nothing about who that human is as a person. I know you didn't mean it as any sort of an insult or in any sort of negative way, but if you see this sorta thing, you gotta call it out or it never goes away, and I'd really rather it went away. :)
    An object with a cool personality and sense of humour! :pac:

mines the UD5, but as far as i know the UD7 officially supports it, check the official Gigabyte site for that mobo. Like i said though X58UD5 rev 1 doesnt officially support it on the Gigabyte page, says support alright for rev 2 but it works on mine no problem.
    The best threads to check are hardocp - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820772&page=12
    and http://www.overclock.net/t/1461359/official-xeon-x5660-x58-review-discussion-and-xeon-l5639-benchmarks-inside

the 5660, 5670 and 5675 are also options depending on your budget, they have higher multipliers for overclocking, so probably get a higher overclock or wont strain the chip much to get 4.4Ghz or thereabouts.

Cheers for the heads up. I was actually thinking about upgrading to the i7 970 for the extra cores but the xeon is just as good maybe even better as it runs cooler.

I just ordered a x5660, in Ireland as well but the fella had sterling prices as well as sterling shipping , £7 shipping day light robbery, should have called to his house.

Here she is singing a song as Eevee

dreamers75 wrote: »
    this thread has gone seriously fcuked up the last few days.

from men arses to hot chicks....teh fcuk ?

if we can have sexy female characters in games, why not sexy male characters? :D

tumblr_mmn172eLKx1qlwt1bo6_r2_250.gif

• Advertisement

Cheers for the heads up. I was actually thinking about upgrading to the i7 970 for the extra cores but the xeon is just as good maybe even better as it runs cooler.

I just ordered a x5660, in Ireland as well but the fella had sterling prices as well as sterling shipping , £7 shipping day light robbery, should have called to his house.
    no probs, yeah it should run cooler and use less power than a 970( and a lot cheaper on average ). Sweet that you got it in ireland.
    Be careful when overclocking it, dont go above the limits mentioned in the HardOCP thread i linked( page 1 ) for vcore, PLL/HTT etc. actually i wouldnt go above 1.35 on vcore.

Its a cool upgrade :), 3DMark Firestrike increased by 1000 for me to ~ 11500 and min FPS in games are up ~20% from my 920@4Ghz, more for games like BF4 and DA:I which use 6 cores.

Links234 wrote: »
    if we can have sexy female characters in games, why not sexy male characters? :D

tumblr_mmn172eLKx1qlwt1bo6_r2_250.gif

K use the off topic thread for that, this is for cheap assed games.

Did you see what I did there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried that a lot of developers have lost the ability to properly optimise games now. We've had hardware that was 3-4 times more powerful for so long, optimisation wasn't that big a deal. But now as we see good looking games come out on consoles more often, unless they get properly optimised, minimum specs are going to keep rising.

Hopefully the fact that the consoles are practically pc's anyway, will help keep things reasonable.
    If anything, developers ability to optimise has increased over the previous console generations. I mean look at what was achieved towards the end of the last generation on the PS3. Sure it required mastering of SPU programming but, intricacies of that aside, you're still dealing with hardware with only 256MB of RAM and VRAM.

The actual problem is, resources have traditionally been directed at optimising specifically for the console platforms. Unfortunately the idea that consoles are basically PCs and that we're going to get more optimised ports for free has, at times, been dramatically overstated. The change is certainly going to aid devs but the goal of most studios will still be to target the precise specs of the consoles and eke out every bit of performance they can from them.

Either way, I'd wager we're only going to see real change when the next gen engines mature and some of the bigger studios really get the time to push them.

In the meantime I'll be over here with my trusty Q9550 waiting for Skylake to hit for an upgrade. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, she is hot as hell.

I really miss times where men could just say to women that they are beautiful and not get called out sexist pigs...

Anyway, looks like very soon I will be building a second gaming PC for myself, which technically will be as powerful or even more powerful then my current gaming PC. I love that "specing and playing around with setups on paper" time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People being way to precious about this topic lately.

While I'm all for recognising talented females in the gaming industry, I'm also perfectly comfortable in also discussing how segments of females in the gaming industry use "sex" as a method for increasing viewership and exposure.

For every one good female caster, writer, streamer or presenter that emerges, their credability is unfortunately tarnished by the 100 who also appear being absolutely rubbish at games, have pink and kittens all over their content, and a camera shoved down their top....

Was casually browsing the World of Warcraft Twitch page last night as my favourite streams were not on. In the top 10 were three female gamers, with webcams pointed at nothing but their cleavage, and the webcam ratio clearly at the size where they are chasing male viewers more then warcraft viewers.

Seems to an emerging trend on the Warcraft scene for streamers and it really annoys me. Their chat is full of trolls, their gaming ability is absolutely garbage, and their stream content is rubbish. But because there is a rack on display it gets viewers. Makes it very difficult for the high quality players and content providers lower in the lists to move up in prominence.

So you can happily call it out on me, and I'll happily debate how if woman in the gaming enviroment want to shake the stereotyping and the casual sexism, they need to take a bit of a stronger stand against the untalented members of the cohort, who do nothing but exploit that stereotype, and exploit "sex" in order to boost their revenue, viewership and in some cases just attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

TheDoc wrote: »
    People being way to precious about this topic lately.

While I'm all for recognising talented females in the gaming industry, I'm also perfectly comfortable in also discussing how segments of females in the gaming industry use "sex" as a method for increasing viewership and exposure.

For every one good female caster, writer, streamer or presenter that emerges, their credability is unfortunately tarnished by the 100 who also appear being absolutely rubbish at games, have pink and kittens all over their content, and a camera shoved down their top....

Was casually browsing the World of Warcraft Twitch page last night as my favourite streams were not on. In the top 10 were three female gamers, with webcams pointed at nothing but their cleavage, and the webcam ratio clearly at the size where they are chasing male viewers more then warcraft viewers.

Seems to an emerging trend on the Warcraft scene for streamers and it really annoys me. Their chat is full of trolls, their gaming ability is absolutely garbage, and their stream content is rubbish. But because there is a rack on display it gets viewers. Makes it very difficult for the high quality players and content providers lower in the lists to move up in prominence.

So you can happily call it out on me, and I'll happily debate how if woman in the gaming enviroment want to shake the stereotyping and the casual sexism, they need to take a bit of a stronger stand against the untalented members of the cohort, who do nothing but exploit that stereotype, and exploit "sex" in order to boost their revenue, viewership and in some cases just attention.

I seem to recall Twitch trying to take a stand against it by banning topless people, women in bikinis and so forth.

In the end of the day, supply and demand will decide whether people want to see tits and it's not up to women making good content to save their gender from stereotyping. Women using boobs to get people to watch doesn't stop others from using ability, insight or humour.

And regardless, there's nothing wrong with using sex to sell a stream. Some people seem to like it. I think music by Nikki Minaj is total bollocks and dumber than a bag of hammers so I just avoid it. It doesn't take anything away from good artists.

There is a world of difference between these "cam-girls with a game" sorts (which Twitch recently made rules about - there used to be a lot of toplessness on those streams) and a lady like Dodger who runs a legit gaming channel.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that we simply ignore the "sex sells" argument, my point was that when a question was asked about who this person is, the response was nothing more than "the hot chick from YouTube" - again, not said out of malice or intention to offend or anything of the sort, but that's casual sexism and when you're casual about anything, you perpetuate the idea that it's ok. Dodger is a very beautiful lady, and there's nothing wrong in saying that but to diminish her (or any human) to being nothing more than that (a mere characteristic and not a person) is simply wrong.

If I had mentioned Flash for example, and someone asked who he is, no one would have answered with "he's some gook" because we know that's racist - casual or not. 20 years ago, no one would have batted an eyelid at that response though, so it's just about changing attitudes. I'm not trying to demonize anyone, I'm just saying "hey, lets remember we're talking about an actual person, not a character trait of a person."

Well, she is hot as hell.

I really miss times where men could just say to women that they are beautiful and not get called out sexist pigs...

Well to be fair, I didn't know who she was so I asked. Getting a response that she's "a hot chick" is kinda useless, it tells me nothing. I've no problems with people making observations about the attractiveness of others, but it's kinda different when you're asking a question and get a frankly crap reply.

It'd be a different thing entirely if the poster had said oh she's someone who does reviews on YouTube and she's also really hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That's a fair point Shiminay, I guess I feel there is just a crest of a wave relating to that kind of topic, and some of it is getting way too fragile.

But if describing someone as hot is now being defined as sexist,in any shape or form, I'm locking myself in my house and never coming out again, because society is broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

We're allowed describe someone as hot. Nobody is saying otherwise. But defining someone merely as hot, when asked who they are, is something else though.

Advertisement