Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you need the games installed?

No, that's the beauty of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I'm too new to be part of the boards' Steam Gifts group, but I must admit that I really like the new version of the site. It's been down for about a week, but is now hugely improved. Much slicker, faster and with improved/increased functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

My new components & case arrived from Hardwareversand today :)

http://i.imgur.com/9GS9DAb.jpg?1

- Intel Core i7-4790K Box, LGA1150
    - 16GB-Kit HyperX FURY Blue 1866MHz DDR3 CL10
    - ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER Gaming MB, Sockel 1150, ATX
    - Corsair Enthusiast Series RM1000, Modular, 80 Plus Gold 1000 Watt
    - NOCTUA NH-D15

http://i.imgur.com/9GS9DAb.jpg?1

- Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower (Cat was more excited than I was)

Transferring my already current GTX 970 and SSD/HDD's into this build. I plan on doing a bit of Overclocking this year and also might try SLI hence the NOCTUA NH-D15 and 1000W PSU. I know the 1000w PSU is too much for SLI but wanted the extra power there just in case with all the extra fans and any room for anything else down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nice upgrade m8. Really nice PSU, but it is really overkill lol. 970 sli could easily run on RM 650 psu :D.

I sow that Storm trooper case, its nice, but I like a bit more clean look myself, something like Corsair 750D. Cooler Master cases just look too busy for my tase, if that even makes any sense. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The cat really wants to get in that box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Cravez wrote: »
    My new components & case arrived from Hardwareversand today :)

What gpu do u currently have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Kiith wrote: »
    The cat really wants to get in that box :)
    I never even noticed the cat! That must mean the case is a good choice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Fallout 4k here you come!

jaffusmax wrote: »
    What gpu do u currently have?

GTX 970 ACX 2.0 FTW Edition
    I never even noticed the cat! That must mean the case is a good choice :p

She loves boxes (as most cats do I think), you can buy a cat alot of toys but they always prefer a good cardboard box :D
    Taylor365 wrote: »
    Fallout 4k here you come!

It would be interesting to try it if I go the SLI route :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

She loves boxes (as most cats do I think), you can buy a cat alot of toys but they always prefer a good cardboard box :D

• Advertisement

Nice upgrade m8. Really nice PSU, but it is really overkill lol. 970 sli could easily run on RM 650 psu :D.

Admittedly it is a bit overkill but I wanted the piece of mind that I wouldn't get stutters, poor performance or crashing if I did try SLI. I was also reading that 650watts cuts it a little bit close for GTX 970 SLI's. At least its there anyway and will most likely have the PSU for a very long time.

I sow that Storm trooper case, its nice, but I like a bit more clean look myself, something like Corsair 750D. Cooler Master cases just look too busy for my tase, if that even makes any sense. :p

I know what you mean :). I am currently using a NZXT Phantom which is a great case (both practically and aesthetically) but wanted the extra space for SLI, Noctua Cooler, Cable Management and Cooling where the CM Storm Trooper fitted the requirements as it has tons of space, additional areas for extra fans and it has a manual fan controller which is something I wanted.

I have

I7 4770k
    Asus HD7 D3H
    evga 970 SC
    250SSD for my favorite games
    12SSD for OS and duelbooting
    1TB Seagate Black
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
    ZALMAN 600W PSU
    COSAIRE K60 Vengeance keyboard
    Razer abyssuss mouse

Question, I make a newbie mistake with the mobo it is not overclockable and has no sli. Do ye reckon I'll get plenty of mileage as is or is a new PSU and mobo a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

On the topic of Ubisoft and those cancelled keys...

Deactivated Ubisoft game keys were bought from EA's Origin using stolen credit cards

If true, it basically shows the Kinguin CMO was lying is ass off about the source of the keys. Then again, this is the company who was reselling Humble Bundle keys awhile back. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have that case, wouldnt fit under my desk so now lives on top of it :(

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I have that case, wouldnt fit under my desk so now lives on top of it :(

I thought it looked familiar to one of the boardsie pics. I have an Expedit desk from IKEA which is quite high (lots of space for a mid tower) so Im hoping this case will fit.

What do you think of the case in general though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I have

I7 4770k
    Asus HD7 D3H
    evga 970 SC
    250SSD for my favorite games
    12SSD for OS and duelbooting
    1TB Seagate Black
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
    ZALMAN 600W PSU
    COSAIRE K60 Vengeance keyboard
    Razer abyssuss mouse

Question, I make a newbie mistake with the mobo it is not overclockable and has no sli. Do ye reckon I'll get plenty of mileage as is or is a new PSU and mobo a good idea?

Gaming at 1080p that build will be good for a few years at max settings so no i wouldnt do anything with it,shame not going to be able to see what the 4770K can do with a nice overclock on it. At stock should still be more than enough for gaming though

What do you think of the case in general though?

Excellent case, stupid amount of fans on it but have never needed to turn the extra ones on.

Nice that they are tho.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Gaming at 1080p that build will be good for a few years at max settings so no i wouldnt do anything with it,shame not going to be able to see what the 4770K can do with a nice overclock on it. At stock should still be more than enough for gaming though

Cheers one last thing is everyone agreed 8gb ram is more then enough?

Also saw this great article about total conversion mods! Another reason pc gaming rocks!

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-total-conversion-mods-ever/

Also saw this great article about total conversion mods! Another reason pc gaming rocks!

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-total-conversion-mods-ever/

Downloaded the oblvion one and realised I didnt have it in my steam account.

Its on a round shaped object that goes into a round shaped object holder, seems i cant locate either :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yup,for gaming its the sweet spot atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well started playing Super Mario Galaxy. I have it years and never bothered playing it. At the beginning I was planing on getting every star but found out there is 120 and some are pretty difficult, so don't think I will bother. The step back in graphics is a big thing even though I am playing on a 720p tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well started playing Super Mario Galaxy. I have it years and never bothered playing it. At the beginning I was planing on getting every star but found out there is 120 and some are pretty difficult, so don't think I will bother. The step back in graphics is a big thing even though I am playing on a 720p tv.

That will actually make it looks worse because 9 out of 10 modern TV's handle SD really, really poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

Oooo the long anticipated Starbound winter patch is up on steam. At 830MB its a biggy, especially considering the full game is only ~1300megs :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wossack wrote: »
    Oooo the long anticipated Starbound winter patch is up on steam. At 830MB its a biggy, especially considering the full game is only ~1300megs :o

Looking forward to trying this later. I left a scathing review centered on their lack of updates since early last year, so obviously you have me to thank for this. :pac: Hopefully I will now have reason to edit said review.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I tried it when it was unstable, and it seemed to add a fair amount. Might give it another go tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You only need more if you're lazy like me and can't be bothered to close very memory hungry apps before starting up a game. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Looking forward to trying this later. I left a scathing review centered on their lack of updates since early last year, so obviously you have me to thank for this. :pac: Hopefully I will now have reason to edit said review.

Dont count on it, starbound is the reason i'm never buying into early access again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Dont count on it, starbound is the reason i'm never buying into early access again

You've just been doing Early Access wrong. ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346010

Can't believe how good GTA San Andreas looks on PC. Well I installed a graphics mod. I got it after pre-ordering GTA V. I played an hour and a half and I remember why it is my most favourite game of all time. I playe GTA V on xbox but just flew through it. So my plan with the PC version is spend as much time playing it and get to know each area and get a genuine feeling towards the game like I did San Andreas.

You've just been doing Early Access wrong. ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346010

wont get fooled again :) and that would normally be something i'd pay for too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So far, the best early access game out there is Prison Architect. Looks like those guys never gave up on the game and still bombing it with patches. Its a shame I suck at that game. :(

Rust was the early access game I got most value from though. Its a shame they decided to rebuild it and so far it is not great, but when they will get old map back I can easily see myself spending another 216 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

So far, the best early access game out there is Prison Architect. Looks like those guys never gave up on the game and still bombing it with patches. Its a shame I suck at that game. :(

Rust was the early access game I got most value from though. Its a shame they decided to rebuild it and so far it is not great, but when they will get old map back I can easily see myself spending another 216 hours :D
    Kerbal Space Program would like a word....though PA is not there YET!

Honestly, don't know how you spent so much time with RUST. Mate picked up 2 copies, we played a few hours, and that was that. How did you get 200+ hours form it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

KSP and Prison Architect I think are the poster children for Early Access in a post Minecraft gold rush for "get paid whilst you work."

It's interesting and not at all surprising to note that these are all games that have a dedicated community of modders behind them to introduce new ideas and in many cases, especially with KSP, have their work integrated into the final product.

Lesson seems to be that if you're going to attempt early access, make sure that others can help you out (for free!) and show potential punters the scale of the game when combined with imagination and expertise.

I find the general distaste for Early Access, and to a lesser extent Kickstarter, exhibited by some people to be rather amusing to be honest. We've given out about publishers reticence to fund more unusual games (or more "classic" if you will) for years and now that there is an alternate form of funding available for such projects, people balk at the idea of "risking" a relatively small amount of money to see them be made in case they fall victim to the same pitfalls as more traditional development.

Not saying people shouldn't still be discerning but we can't really have it both ways imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What makes the concept of early access alien to me is simply that I prefer 'finished' works. Much like I'd prefer to see the final cut of a film I was looking forward to before a rough edit. I definitely see the appeal of early access and have no problem with developers using it where it is applicable and sensible, but it's rare the type of game I'm really interested in would benefit from the approach, especially ones that mark a strong creative statement from their creator. Nonetheless, I applaud developers who can make it work, and it's a good business model if the players are happy to buy into the inevitable risks of the approach (although, like Kickstarter, it's an approach that has shown to work best with a narrow band of 'types' of games).

I've said it before elsewhere, but I actually think it would be really interesting to include early builds as an optional extra in final releases of games. Would be an interesting thing to experience with the benefit of having played the completed work.

early access needs a standard, having an EA game in an alpha state for years after having paid for it is ridiculous.

I dont mind backing a game that i'm interested in, but when steam advertises an early access game on their main page as they frequently do, it's easy to fall for it. There's a bunch of games still in early access that are nowhere near to completion after 2 years of this.

I've bought into some ea games, and i'd say around 90% of the time i'm disappointed a year later that it's barely made any significant progress towards being a full game.

So yeah, ye know, early access is great if that's your thing, but dont expect the game to be in a fully playable state for a long long time after you've paid full whack or more for it.

I'm looking at you Total Annihilation! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

gizmo wrote: »
    I find the general distaste for Early Access, and to a lesser extent Kickstarter, exhibited by some people to be rather amusing to be honest. We've given out about publishers reticence to fund more unusual games (or more "classic" if you will) for years and now that there is an alternate form of funding available for such projects, people balk at the idea of "risking" a relatively small amount of money to see them be made in case they fall victim to the same pitfalls as more traditional development.

Not saying people shouldn't still be discerning but we can't really have it both ways imo.

I don't think many have an issue with small indie developers using the model who otherwise wouldn't be able to release a game, but it's deeply cynical for the big developers to be using it as a fast money grab, offering up ridiculous early access/founder pack/tester packs for sometimes 100s of quid. yes, people don't have to buy into it, but when you're a gamer and someone dangles a game you are looking forward to playing in front of you, even half finished, it is hard to wait. and they know this of course.

I think Steam should extend the Early Access requirement parameters to also look at the development company as well. If the development company has certain below amount of capital then they should be able to use Early Access. If a company has alot of capital they really shouldn't be able to use Early Access. When Early Access first started I originally thought it was for smaller/independent companies to gain funding while they work on the game to develop it. But it seems much bigger companies can now avail of it once the meet certain criteria.

I don't know all the requirement paramters Early Access requires, but if Capital isn't then it should be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Like every other business on the planet, it's market driven and if the market is made up of gullible idiots like an overwhelming number of gamers are (and they are, just look at how much money pre-orders make), then it's not going to change until those gullible idiots smarten up.

early access needs a standard, having an EA game in an alpha state for years after having paid for it is ridiculous.
    While I agree on the alpha state part, it does completely depends on the nature of the game and what state it's in when it goes up on Early Access though. If you jump on a game when all that's complete is an early prototype then I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect at least a years wait before it gets out of alpha. If the game is any way open in nature of has a feature list that's not even remotely locked down then your wait is probably going to be longer.

To take two rough examples, The Next Penelope is a game I'm really looking forward to that's just gone up on EA. It's a fairly focused game with a clear vision and locked down feature set that's nearly complete. The developer has put it on the service to get feedback for the multiplayer component, one that isn't easy regardless of your team size. I would expect that to be finished relatively quickly and the developer is even comfortable enough to give a rough date for completion. Compare that with something like Starbound which has neither a rough release date nor locked down feature set and I'd fully expect to be waiting a hell of a long time, so much so that I wouldn't even feel comfortable paying for it due to, in my opinion, their lack of planning and direction.
    I dont mind backing a game that i'm interested in, but when steam advertises an early access game on their main page as they frequently do, it's easy to fall for it. There's a bunch of games still in early access that are nowhere near to completion after 2 years of this.
    While their presence on the front page may be irksome, once you click on it I think it's blindingly clear it's an EA game. I would, however, fully support a separate EA tab on the front page to avoid any possible confusion at any earlier stage.
    froog wrote: »
    I don't think many have an issue with small indie developers using the model who otherwise wouldn't be able to release a game, but it's deeply cynical for the big developers to be using it as a fast money grab, offering up ridiculous early access/founder pack/tester packs for sometimes 100s of quid. yes, people don't have to buy into it, but when you're a gamer and someone dangles a game you are looking forward to playing in front of you, even half finished, it is hard to wait. and they know this of course.
    On the contrary, there's been a lot of talk about how Early Access is a negative development in the industry across the board from a lot of folk. Granted, it's been fairly balanced around here but elsewhere, not so much. If it was only focused on some of the more egregious examples then I wouldn't have any problem with it at all.

As for your specific points, what truly big developers are using Early Access at all? The only ones I can think of offhand are Sony with H1Z1 and Square Enix with Nosgoth. Out of those, H1Z1 appears to be in active on-going development and Nosgoth just entered Open Beta a few days ago. Similarly, H1Z1 only has one moderately priced "Premium" version and Nosgoth is free to play with numerous (imo) horribly overpriced expansion packs. I'm certainly not defending either example, I don't really see the practice as anyway widespread.

Secondly, I completely disagree with the notion that gamers are intrinsically unable to not buy an in-development title if it's dangled in front of them. Blaming developers, large or small, on peoples lack of willpower isn't acceptable at all imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

What the actual, paused h1z1 download on steam at 95% resumed it and then noticed it was started all over again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nolars wrote: »
    What the actual, paused h1z1 download on steam at 95% resumed it and then noticed it was started all over again.

That's happened to me with some games when stream's servers are getting hammered.

Talking about games downloading from steam. i do not know what I am going to do when GTA V will be released. 65GB. On my 200kb/s connection. Anyone know how long it will take to download on my connection. I reckon at least 48 hours, hopefully less. I hope they let you download it a few days early, so I can play it once the release date is due.

Also I hope what happened to the above two users does not happen me when I am 90% completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Talking about games downloading from steam. i do not know what I am going to do when GTA V will be released. 65GB. On my 200kb/s connection. Anyone know how long it will take to download on my connection. I reckon at least 48 hours, hopefully less. I hope they let you download it a few days early, so I can play it once the release date is due.

I am hoping you mean 200kBytes per second and not 200kbits! Big B vs small b :P

Anyway, it will be roughly 70 hours downloading at constant full speed.

EDIT Sorry, stuck in Base10 mode. It's more like 90hours if counting bytes in 2^n

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I have 2mb connection at the best of times, steam around 250kb download , 65gb i reckon 3 days if no one else online in the house, if you're lucky.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also I hope what happened to the above two users does not happen me when I am 90% completed.

Assuming you mean 200 kilobytes a second then if you achieve that consistently with no slowdown or stopping then it would take over 92 hours to download 65GB.

The maths if you're interested. It takes you 5 seconds to download a megabyte. 65GB is 66560 megabytes. Multiply that by 5 to get the amount of seconds that will take to download. That's 332800, then divide by 3600 to get the amount of hours. Which is 92.44 hours.

I am hoping you mean 200kBytes per second and not 200kbits! Big B vs small b :P

Anyway, it will be roughly 70 hours downloading at constant full speed.

EDIT Sorry, stuck in Base10 mode. It's more like 90hours if counting bytes in 2^n

I should now this stuff myself done it in college. I knew the difference between bits and bytes just wrote it wrong.
    I have 2mb connection at the best of times, steam around 250kb download , 65gb i reckon 3 days if no one else online in the house, if you're lucky.....

My brother is always online and sometimes my mother does be as well on a tablet, and even my father does use the tablet as well. Hopefully steam will let people download it at least 4 days in advanced of release date to take into account such a large download file.

I would find a family member or friend with good internet and download it :)

Nolars wrote: »
    I would find a family member or friend with good internet and download it :)

I live in the back end of no where. When I rented in Galway i had a UPC connection which was excellent.

• Advertisement

Im on 3mb. My gf has 60mb and of course she doesn't understand what that is and its wasted on her :D

Advertisement