Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have to say I think that music does not sit well with that trailer at all, bizarre choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

is anyone elses steam being extremely difficult at present? mine keeps freezing

Mine is grand anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So I got darkest dungeon..........man that game is unforgiving :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

So I got darkest dungeon..........man that game is unforgiving :/
    I think i summed it up nicely beforehand :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

anyone have any good podcasts for pc gaming that they could recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dunworth1 wrote: »
    anyone have any good podcasts for pc gaming that they could recommend

I assume you already listen to the Co-Optional Podcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

nesf wrote: »
    I assume you already listen to the Co-Optional Podcast?

nope i do not the only one i currently listen to is igns game scoop

i shall check that out cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Crate and Crowbar is pretty good.

It's run by the guys who used to run the PCGamer UK Podcast.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    nope i do not the only one i currently listen to is igns game scoop

i shall check that out cheers

Long at 2.5 hours, 3 regular hosts and a guest each week. Often very funny, usually very opinionated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Bought the team speak 3 app today, €1.69, have signed onto the gaelords team speak but couldn't hear anything, don't think anyone was talking and I'm in the pub so didn't wanna put a shout out.

Thinking of the benefits of this and the only one o can come up with is when I go to the toilet I can still listen in to the conversations and use push to talk through my phone. :)

For €1.69, can't complain like. The best app I ever bought was the ookla spped test and that was 1.79 or so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Bought the team speak 3 app today, €1.69, have signed onto the gaelords team speak but couldn't hear anything, don't think anyone was talking and I'm in the pub so didn't wanna put a shout out.

Thinking of the benefits of this and the only one o can come up with is when I go to the toilet I can still listen in to the conversations and use push to talk through my phone. :)

For €1.69, can't complain like. The best app I ever bought was the ookla spped test and that was 1.79 or so!

Pretty sure that is free now.

They have a free version alright, the paid version offers a test log, been great when UPC try tell me my internet is fine and I pull up WiFi speed for the last few days and quote them off. Probably just me who uses it that way but its effective for me.

On a side note, UPC net had been very hit and miss the last 2 days.

They have a free version alright, the paid version offers a test log, been great when UPC try tell me my internet is fine and I pull up WiFi speed for the last few days and quote them off. Probably just me who uses it that way but its effective for me.

On a side note, UPC net had been very hit and miss the last 2 days.

Be glad you get good speeds. I get 3MB if I'm lucky. Cannot play online games like Battlefield 4 when my brother is at home.(Which is nearly all the time)

Moving back to mammies soon and I know the internet is awful, wonder can I get a UPC internet connection even though they have eircom and sky??

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I have just under 2mb and have to turn off Wi-Fi or else lag all over the place. Pesky kids.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Moving back to mammies soon and I know the internet is awful, wonder can I get a UPC internet connection even though they have eircom and sky??

they've a talkto forum here, give them a shout here

I can't seem to find offers of broadband only but they definitely offer broadband + phone and the phone only adds like a fiver to the bill if you're not using it: http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/

Or something like that anyway. You definitely don't need to take their TV package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe get Sky Broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Most extreme fundraising ever?

DyingLightApocalypse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eastyy

And will probably come with additional stuff later on for the shelter.....real life Dlc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just saw that Trine 3 is on its way. More Trine isn't a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Picked up Titan Quest Gold for €2.49 on Humble store:-)

Picked up Titan Quest Gold for €2.49 on Humble store:-)

if you like that you might want to try grim dawn on steam though it is still early access it uses the same engine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ok, Dreadnought looks pretty amazing. Glad they added space battles as well. Missed this at PAX last month.

dreadnought looks impressive but is it primarily single player or just based on the multiplayer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

world of (space)tanks :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Completely board of gaming at the moment, cant seem to find anything to get my teeth into after completing Divinity: Original Sin.,,, Far Cry 4 maybe. Lords of the Fallen maybe???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Glebee wrote: »
    Completely board of gaming at the moment, cant seem to find anything to get my teeth into after completing Divinity: Original Sin.,,, Far Cry 4 maybe. Lords of the Fallen maybe???

Kerbal Space Program. No more games needed, possibly ever. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

With The Witcher 3 out on May 19th now would be a good time to work your way through the previous games in the franchise. They're currently massive discounted on Steam if you don't own them already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kiith wrote: »
    Ok, Dreadnought looks pretty amazing. Glad they added space battles as well. Missed this at PAX last month.

I'd love to see a proper space battle sim that takes into account the distances and amount of time it takes light to travel those distances. Features like if you see a ship orbiting a moon there would be a time delay in what you're seeing and planning around that time delay. The fact it would be damned difficult to see even the biggest ship if you don't know what direction to look in.

At least that one has warping as a tactic, but the scale seems way off. There's really no futuristic weapons in it either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

huh...

I was not expecting a "class based arena shooter" game when I first saw that game announced...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

gizmo wrote: »
    With The Witcher 3 out on May 19th now would be a good time to work your way through the previous games in the franchise. They're currently massive discounted on Steam if you don't own them already.

Forgot I had this loaded up and ready to go. Witcher 2 here I come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Anyone know any decent 1440p monitors? I'm getting a GTX 970 in the next week or two and wouldn't mind picking up a new monitor.

Heard something about Korean monitors being a great bang for buck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Anyone know any decent 1440p monitors? I'm getting a GTX 970 in the next week or two and wouldn't mind picking up a new monitor.

Heard something about Korean monitors being a great bang for buck?

They are, I'm running dual QNIX Evolution 2. They are good, no doubt. But think I would be happier if I have a 120Hz monitor instead.

EDIT: because I like CS:GO and I'm finding it difficult to spot enemies due to screen tearing and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm lookingbfor a gaming monitor for my xbox one.. Any suggestions lads? Full hd if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

They are, I'm running dual QNIX Evolution 2. They are good, no doubt. But think I would be happier if I have a 120Hz monitor instead.

EDIT: because I like CS:GO and I'm finding it difficult to spot enemies due to screen tearing and such.

Pretty sure 120/144hz 1440p monitors are coming later this year,
    maybe hold out for something like this http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/tftcentral-acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync :P

Genghiz, never too late to get one, you'll be a happy man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Total War turns 15. A video of their history, plus a "hint of what's to come". ;)

• Advertisement

sounded like a dragon roar at the end..

Wish they'd stop messing around and just do WWII era game, they proved they can nail the field and naval artillery already, hell even a WWI game would be awesome

Would be nice to take over all of Europe and crush Germany as Poland tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Wish they'd stop messing around and just do WWII era game, they proved they can nail the field and naval artillery already, hell even a WWI game would be awesome

They're making a Warhammer 40K game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know, the problem with WW1 was it took them a few years to get used to using the new weapons properly. Some battles were a complete shambles with mounted cavalry carrying nothing but swords and pistols went up against cannons and machine guns.

It wasn't until the end of the war that people knew enough to engage in more modern fighting. I don't know that you could make a game out of it to convincingly, the fights would either be one sided or a stalemate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know, the problem with WW1 was it took them a few years to get used to using the new weapons properly. Some battles were a complete shambles with mounted cavalry carrying nothing but swords and pistols went up against cannons and machine guns.

It wasn't until the end of the war that people knew enough to engage in more modern fighting. I don't know that you could make a game out of it to convincingly, the fights would either be one sided or a stalemate.

I reckon there's a reason why it hasn't really been touched a whole lot in games.

It was just a giant miserable pile of awfulness.

Dan Carlin is covering it in his current batch of Hardcore History podcasts. If you've got 15 or so hours to spare, the first 5 episodes are up on his site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't think a 20 century total war game would work.

The gameplay doesn't suit it.

Looking forward to War hammer.

Would it still be total war though?

TW games have always been in a historical setting

Unless you mean a game in a fantasy setting wouldn't be considered a TW game in the eyes of hardcore fans, I don't understand how it wouldn't be Total War??

Well we know feck all about it thus far, so is it a TW game set in the WH or WH40k universe?

Is it WH:TW or just a new title by CA and Sega and not part of the TW series?

Well, that's a different question altogether. There's been no official reveal yet, but we know it's happening from the leak in January. The end of that trailer just confirms it for me - WH:TW is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Varik wrote: »
    Don't think a 20 century total war game would work.

The gameplay doesn't suit it.

Looking forward to War hammer.

People used to say the same about the prospect of introducing guns into the series with Empire Total War but it worked out OK.

I find it hard to imagine what a WW2 TW game would look like, but I guess they could make it work if they tried to.

Advertisement