Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

sweetie wrote: »
    the checkpointing is so annoying. I get through a few levels, get defeated by the boss, give it a break for a few weeks and have to redo everything again.

I only just figured out a solution to that last night. If you press start, you have the option of an additional 'mid level' checkpoint. You can use it anywhere, but only once per sitting. Really handy if you need to stop playing for whatever reason before you get to a checkpoint.

Master of the Universe

I might be a bit late to the party as I only just picked it up on the WiiU - but Shovel Knight rules!

One moment it feels like a Megaman game, then Castlevania. The world map is straight out of Mario 3. Never feels like a rip off though, it just blends lots of those mechanics into a brilliant game.

The controls are perfect. You just know whoever designed this has spent a long time playing NES platformers. It's also the first chance I've gotten to really test out the WiiU pro controller and the D pad on it is lovely.

The visuals and art design are gorgeous, I'd love to see it on a CRT or with an SLG3000/Framemeister.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

o1s1n wrote:
    I might be a bit late to the party as I only just picked it up on the WiiU - but Shovel Knight rules!

bought it on steam gift before I knew it was coming to Wii u and still trying to trade it before I can buy the ninty version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations really is superb and I've only just started it, far better than the second game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Having a ball rediscovering Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast.
    The game has frame rate issues that would be unacceptable on a console but it all looks and plays so damn well.

It's the PSP version BTW

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Something I discovered last night, Rumble Roses is a very fun 2 player game.

I stuck it on to show a mate the sheer ridiculousness, and before we knew it we were actually having a blast. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭raven999

i just finished grandia 2 on dreamcast am now on skies of arcadia played these years ago as i am now looking to find everything in these games

Master of the Universe

Just had one of those moments where you figure out the name of a game which has been alluding you for years.

I had a demo of it on the ps1 and played the 2 player head to head fighting section loads.

However I just couldn't manage to bring up a title, no matter how much I googled.

It was an isometric arena fighter with robots. Similar to Boombots, but a different art style, 'sandier' for no use of a better term. :D

Today I decided to try and locate it again. For some reason the name 'razor' came into my head for one of the characters. Either my mind playing tricks, or a bizarre bit of information from 15+ years ago. Was thinking more than likely the first as it's a bit of a generic name.

So threw in the usual search terms 'ps1, arena, fighting game' etc but also included 'razor' - and found it! The Unholy War on the PS1!

Fecking hell, that really did take a long time to remember. Years in fact. I searched through loads of PS1 fighting game lists many times and it wasn't on any of them. Was starting to think that it was a demo of a game that was never actually made, or that I just made it up in my head.

So opened up ebay to buy a copy, expecting to have it for fairly cheap - one copy on ebay.co.uk and it's £50. For feck sake! :eek:

Edit - thank you ebay France!

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/331231357764?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Can't wait to give this a go again. The amazon reviews are really great so it looks like it may have stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Castlevania: Dracula X. Not as hard as people make out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's probably one of the easiest Vania games.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Really? I found it far harder than any of the Metroid-vania ones. The controls are really cumbersome.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Really? I found it far harder than any of the Metroid-vania ones. The controls are really cumbersome.

Well the metroidvania ones are a total walk in the park compared to the older games but of the classic vanias Rondo is probably the easiest especially when you consider how difficult Vania 1 and 3 are. Even IV and Bloodlines are much tougher.

As for the controls, you're just a noob that wants to control his jumps mid air or wants the safety blanket of IV's multi directional whip. I expect nothing less from someone that can't get all 96 exits in super mario world :P

Master of the Universe

This coming from the man who uses save states in games that are 'too tough'? :p

Master of the Universe

Anyone else making their way through Shovel Knight at the moment? I'm about 6 hours in now, still think it's a fantastic game. Although the longer it goes on, the more and more I'm starting to see lifted from Megaman :pac:

Not sure how I feel about the level checkpoint system. There have been times where I've really breathed a sign of relief when reaching one, but it does make the game considerably easier.

Master of the Universe

Took a break last night from Shovel Knight and started Windwaker HD.

It really does look amazing. If you didn't know it was a HD upgrade you'd assume it was a brand new WiiU Zelda game.

I remember it got a lot of stick back in the day for the cel shaded art style, joke's on the detractors now as turned out to be absolutely timeless.

Took a break last night from Shovel Knight and started Windwaker HD.

It really does look amazing. If you didn't know it was a HD upgrade you'd assume it was a brand new WiiU Zelda game.

I remember it got a lot of stick back in the day for the cel shaded art style, joke's on the detractors now as turned out to be absolutely timeless.

That was such a joke. People moaning that they wanted link to be darker and more 'mature'. I always thought the game looked absolutely stunning since the firs reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I remember it took a certain amount of stick alright but after release I think everyone's tune quietly changed as the game was excellent.

I played BMX XXX last night for the Gamecube. That game has aged terribly and I don't think it was very good to begin with although when I was 14 I thought it was incredible. Released in 2002 it was a sort-of sequel to an earlier Dave Mirra BMX title. The soundtrack is very early 2000's pop punk and the character customisation is hilariously awful looking. Gameplay isn't great and it sells itself on its raunchy humour - my first task was to deliver 5 prostitutes to their pimp on the back of my BMX. Awful, awful, awful.

Anita Sarkesian could make the next 20 videos just about that game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anita Sarkesian could make the next 20 videos just about that game.

Ha! I was thinking that exact thing while I was playing it.

Master of the Universe

Tried playing Turok 2 the other night. It's designed for the n64 expansion RAM so I thought I was in for a good experience.

Holy god, that framerate! Thought I was looking at a slide show half the time. Had to turn off 'high def graphics' and even then it was unplayable.

Makes Goldeneye feel like it's running at 60fps.

Now I am currently playing it at 50hz, so we'll see what a bump up to 60hz does when that new N64 arrives.

By the way, I don't care how much those Hori mini n64 pads cost, everyone must buy one this instant :D They're incredibly nice.

• Advertisement

The high definition mode in N64 games using the RAM pack is a joke in all games it is available in. The frame rate always drops to single digits and the increase in fidelity isn't worth the extra resolution (which still has the horrible blur applied). Hybrid Heaven is particularly bad as is Turok 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Wife got me a NES for my birthday. So been playing calafornia games, and mario 3...did take me 10mins to get it going yesterday with all the cartridge blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

It's the version on tekken 5 but hey its in 240p
    tumblr_nh07xz8cqg1u2ftudo1_1280.jpg

Playing Smash Bros. Melee again but a distinct lack of interest in it from the mates means I'm playing a lot of 1 player. It's rather limited as a single player game. I remember having some craic with this back in the day with the mates, I'll have to twist a few arms.

I've been finding that with a lot of gamecube games lately actually, my memories of them seem to be better than they actually are in real life. It's strange because I can play the N64 all day but a lot of the GC titles aren't holding my interest at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Once I'm finished work today, I'm going home, preparing a cheesecake, pouring myself a drink or 73, and getting stuck into Christmas nights :)

Master of the Universe

Sounds like bliss :)

I'll probably try and give Daze Before Christmas a whirl as usual... then turn it off after 5 minutes out of sheer boredom :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked up Captain Toad but it may be a day or two before I crack her open.
    Christmas is going to be busy with family, big dinners and, today at least, stupid shopping destinations

Master of the Universe

Shopping on Christmas Eve?

God speed my good man, I wouldn't wish that on an enemy!

Master of the Universe

Yesterday evening I played a couple of hours of Goldeneye for the first time in ages.

You know what, it was actually quite enjoyable.

With the shoddy original n64 pad out of the way and the hori one in it's place, it felt far more controllable.

Saying that, the one analog stick control system is really archaic in our modern world of dual stick controls, the framerate does chug along, but there's something there which is still very playable.

One thing which caught me by surprise, the draw distance. It's a lot better than I was expecting. When you get onto the top of the dam, you can see all the way to the end of it, even picking little tiny dudes off in the distant watchtowers with the sniper rifle.

I think I'll stick with it, interested to see how the rest of the levels hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Shopping on Christmas Eve?

God speed my good man, I wouldn't wish that on an enemy!

The store where I work is currently full of men on the cosmetics and handbag departments, wandering around awkwardly, looking for something for the missus :P

Advertisement