Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas mass

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'll be enduring it under protest on xmas eve. The only plus side is our local priest does a nice speedy christmas eve mass because he knows everyone has to be in bed early for Santa to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

cena wrote: »
    So who here well be going to going to mass on Christmas eve or day?

I well be. I prefer going Christmas eve.

I prefer to reclaim the original pre Christian celebration nicked from other belief systems. But hey whatever floats yer boat ...

Do they still do that enforced creepy hand shaking thing? (shudders)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

gozunda wrote: »
    Do they still do that enforced creepy hand shaking thing? (shudders)

"Pleased to meet you"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I get dragged there every Christmas eve by the mother who would be upset if I didn't go. In my mind I consider it as part of my Christmas present to her, enduring the hour of torture that is a Catholic mass. Last year I sang the Batman theme song in my head for pretty much the entirety of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I never attend mass CHURCH as it's just not my thing however I don't get the people who only go at Christmas and at no other time of the year, surely people should go regularly or not at all :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Have to go, mam is a part of the choir and I'm the only one in the house who has to go with her while the rest of my family stays at home :( I can't hack mass, especially the peace offering . Last year an elderly man sneezed straight in to his hand and then stuck it out for the offering to me . And you can't say no so I was stuck shaking a soaking wet old man's hand . I've made it my duty to wear gloves this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,750 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope.. never have, never will - thread need a poll

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When people say santa's birthday, they do know they are really talking about a saint? A bishop who said mass and gave presents to the poor at Christmas.
    The person Santa Claus is based on...a man who said Christmas mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

RobertKK wrote: »
    When people say santa's birthday, they do know they are really talking about a saint? A bishop who said mass and gave presents to the poor at Christmas.

It's a bit pompous saying a mass for your own birthday all right. I shall have to reconsider this year's Santa birthday celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lyaiera wrote: »
    It's a bit pompous saying a mass for your own birthday all right. I shall have to reconsider this year's Santa birthday celebrations.

I think he was intelligent enough to know it was for the birth of Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

RobertKK wrote: »

It's a joke from The Simpsons. It's so common a joke that when I added the 's to Santa on my phone the next word suggested by the predictive text was birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't go to mass during the year. I see no reason to go at Xmas.

You do know it's all a fairy storey don't you?

You were only asked were you going, but I guess you couldn't resist getting a dig in at Boards members who happen to be Catholic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You were only asked were you going, but I guess you couldn't resist getting a dig in at Boards members who happen to be Catholic.

Maybe he should spend more time checking out the Spellcheck

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't believe in god whatsoever, but for the sake of my fairly elderly parents I go along on Christmas eve. They won't be around for ever and it doesn't bother me enough to be awkward about it once day a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Will feel like a hypocrite but will go to suit the parents and the "tradition" they have. The priest is fairly easy on the eye so that's something I guess. Am I going to Hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Gumbi wrote: »
    Not a Catholic, why would I go?

No doubt the sermon would take a potshot at "The Gays" or some such nonsense.

Hate to disappoint you, but there is no way that would happen, and if it did, I imagine the priest involved would get a good old fashioned bollicking from his bishop, as well as having his name dragged through the national papers. Sermons are always happy clappy `do unto others ....` affairs. Far more in common with barney the dinosaur than "the week in politics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My local priest is a pretty cool dude. Sermons are about as interesting as they get so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Not mass - but I will be going to church on Xmas day. I've never been on Xmas eve. I actually really like going to church on Xmas day, love seeing all the excited kids and singing carol's and things.

It's the one day of the year I make my husband come to church with me though and he's not too impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Celebrating Christmas and not going to mass is cheating.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I will go on xmas eve at 8pm. The Midnight Mass no longer happens due to problems with rowdy drunkards in past years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I feel sorry for the kids around the country that are dragged out to mass after been given a load of new toys. Especially by parents that go once a year out of guilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Say what you will about religious atrocities, but having choirs add an extra half hour to mass is right up there. Not even good choirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I go to mass to boo the baby jesus. Every time he's mentioned I boo, even during the hymns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Gumbi wrote: »
    Not a Catholic, why would I go?

No doubt the sermon would take a potshot at "The Gays" or some such nonsense.

That's less Catholic and more Westboro Baptist territory.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the kids around the country that are dragged out to mass after been given a load of new toys. Especially by parents that go once a year out of guilt

Presents presents presents presents SING QUICKER YOU FCUKERS! presents present presents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I might go to a carol service as they're so lovely at Christmas and I go some years.
    Otherwise I won't go to church as I'm a non believer and it's really no big deal to have stopped believing, lots of people have stopped believing - can't believe people still think it's kinda rebellious.
    I think the nativity is a beautiful story too with beautiful, serene, enduring images.

That and A Christmas Carol are two of my favourite things about Christmas.

I did go to mass when younger and Christmas mass was always a really pleasant event - to say there'd be fire and brimstone pontificating about the gays is just silly. We all know there wouldn't be.
    I'd say even right-wing christian churches would give that a rest on Christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Last year I sang the Batman theme song in my head for pretty much the entirety of it.

Brilliant! :D Pissed myself laughing at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Really like mass on Christmas Day. It's all full of excited kids, and people in their best gear. And the priest normally tells a story about a little lost lamb that nearly brings me to tears (but then the baby Jesus found him, and everything worked out).

Sadly now though, they are no longer doing the PowerPoint presentation in the church for Christmas Day. They used to throw the words of the hymns up so everyone could sing along. The middle of the altar would normally blur the middle of the presentation so you had no idea what you were looking at, and it was ALWAYS on the wrong slide. I miss that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Due to timing clashes with breakfast chirstmas mass has been moved to christmas eve evening. Midnight mass is too late as they would be comfortable at home and not want to leave. I just hope dinner is before mass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I don't go to mass often. I went to mass once this year for the first time in ages and I felt a bit out of place. I got some looks from people who were probably regulars. I would like to go to mass this Christmas. I haven't been to mass at Christmas time for a few years but I would like to go this year. We'll see though. I wonder will there be a Christmas mass on television - from RTE like?

I remember one year RTE were in Sydney at a Christmas day mass which aired at Midnight on Christmas eve. Something like that would be nice again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Be Catholic or any other Xtian faith if you like. But the three little pigs is as believable as the Nativity.

Good excuse for a few beers and some R&R tho

Enjoy your mass tho...and the dish ran away with the spoon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement